Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Simone Poodoin posted:

you can also buy lower level mats for cheap from guild traders

Oh I didn't even think of that! I'll check that out tonight and see if I can get what I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Simone Poodoin posted:

you can also buy lower level mats for cheap from guild traders

I find that this works best for only the absolute level 1 or absolute highest lvl mats.

Everyone shoots through the mid levels so fast that those mats are legit rare and often get priced that way.

When I level crafting on alts I just leave their skills at level 1 until I have enough skillpoints to just max the fucker in one go. Often they'll be at 50 in the skill awhile before I max it out.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Trying to find millet and i can't buy it from traders, noone has it, its super annoying, stealing just about everything from anywhere just not millet argh.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is it for your budgies?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it for your budgies?

LOL no its for a provisioning writ, some chowder recipe.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Millet comes in special sacks like flour and saltrice do so keep an eye out for those, also maybe you can search which guild trader has some if you're on pc

https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade/SearchResult?IconName=crafting_components_bread_004.png&ItemID=4643

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

ewe2 posted:

Trying to find millet and i can't buy it from traders, noone has it, its super annoying, stealing just about everything from anywhere just not millet argh.

For this stuff i just ask in a decently active social guild or zone chat, usually people are very happy to give you a few bits and bobs if you’re nice.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Simone Poodoin posted:

Millet comes in special sacks like flour and saltrice do so keep an eye out for those, also maybe you can search which guild trader has some if you're on pc

Yeah go to trader markets, guild/traders, and steal from the sacks around them (the open sacks with food in them will be most likely). I have tons of millet because I love 2 steal. Hell, I'm stealing right now!

speaking of stealing and the market

if you are a fan of thievery, you've seen these a hundred times and ignored them, but you can sell them for $1000 each on the market haha

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 3, 2023

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
FURTHERMORE, I'm not sure how well-known this is, but you can buy all these sets on the market for a nominal price and reduce your stealth radius to about 2 feet.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

floppyspud posted:

For this stuff i just ask in a decently active social guild or zone chat, usually people are very happy to give you a few bits and bobs if you’re nice.

Yeah I'm not in a guild right now. But it's ok I happened to be in Elden Root and there's a millet sack by one of the chefs there on the ground floor, nicked it under their nose, laundered it and finished the writ. At least that Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Creator addon didn't get in the way :v: but I'm glad i got it, definitely a time-saver.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ewe2 posted:

Yeah I'm not in a guild right now. But it's ok I happened to be in Elden Root and there's a millet sack by one of the chefs there on the ground floor, nicked it under their nose, laundered it and finished the writ. At least that Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Creator addon didn't get in the way :v: but I'm glad i got it, definitely a time-saver.
you don't need to launder to use it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

correct, you dont, but if you want to level legerdemain then laundering stuff helps with that (go to necrom and steal from urns if you want to power level that though

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Simone Poodoin posted:

correct, you dont, but if you want to level legerdemain then laundering stuff helps with that (go to necrom and steal from urns if you want to power level that though

Exactly, every bit helps. Like bloody scrying, is there any way to speed level that up?

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

ewe2 posted:

Exactly, every bit helps. Like bloody scrying, is there any way to speed level that up?

“Speed” is not a word i would use, but in artaeum do greens until scrying 3, then greens and blues until scrying 5, then go through every zone getting all the purples, till i think 7 or 8? Or whenever you unlock the ability to do legendary ones, then do those.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

floppyspud posted:

“Speed” is not a word i would use, but in artaeum do greens until scrying 3, then greens and blues until scrying 5, then go through every zone getting all the purples, till i think 7 or 8? Or whenever you unlock the ability to do legendary ones, then do those.

Yeah scrying takes a while, buy the antique map leads in zones you have already explored too.

Silver lining: you will get a good bit of gold from selling everything you find that's not bound.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Would be so much better if the "Light up chests" skill was account-wide, not gonna go through that poo poo more than once.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I understand now why my main hasn't accumulated the material they needed for their writ, and why I haven't seen it on the alts. Not only did I not realize that it's a higher level mat I boosted my main's crafting skill too soon, before I had a chance to build up a cache of the right stuff, while at the same time not keeping up the skill on the alts. Getting the character level and crafting skill levels closer to one another will increase the chance that as all the characters level they'll keep finding the right type of mats for the main to work with.

So for now I'm going to work on my two alts and make sure that instead of banking stuff to deconstruct they use those items to keep their crafting skills increasing along with their character level.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dick Trauma posted:

Getting the character level and crafting skill levels closer to one another will increase the chance that as all the characters level they'll keep finding the right type of mats for the main to work with.
Nodes are have a 50/50 chance of being at char level or crafting skill.

PS: even if you try keeping them in synch, this won't work for the last 5 crafting levels which you'll zoom by on your first character and will never be seen again after that since CP is account wide.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

floppyspud posted:

Thanks for that, it's been really distressing to get high-level leads I haven't been able to use and I need to stop wasting the opportunities.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

PS: even if you try keeping them in synch, this won't work for the last 5 crafting levels which you'll zoom by on your first character and will never be seen again after that since CP is account wide.

Doing all that with my 2nd char and accepting that it'll have to be the one crafter, but of course that depends on what you're after for builds.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 6, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've picked up a couple of those leads but didn't know if I'm supposed to put everything on hold and go find the place that grants you the skill to use them.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I've picked up a couple of those leads but didn't know if I'm supposed to put everything on hold and go find the place that grants you the skill to use them.

I did that because leads are something you can do while you quest (do the zone green lead 3 times, blue lead 3 times and purple lead at least one time) and you level up the skill as you go along and make some gold in the process. Getting the skill lines is super easy just go to Solitude and do a short tutorial quest.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ewe2 posted:

Thanks for that, it's been really distressing to get high-level leads I haven't been able to use and I need to stop wasting the opportunities.

Doing all that with my 2nd char and accepting that it'll have to be the one crafter, but of course that depends on what you're after for builds.
You gain inspiration from deconstruction. The trick is to just deconstruct yourself past those intermediate levels.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You gain inspiration from deconstruction. The trick is to just deconstruct yourself past those intermediate levels.

Sounds like slang for android suicide, I know video game crafting can be a pain in the rear end, but that seems like a pretty drastic response! lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This might be a silly question but how do I get to Solitude, where the trainer for scrying is? Is there a quest I can trigger remotely that will give me the marker I can follow to boats/carriages/etc.?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dick Trauma posted:

This might be a silly question but how do I get to Solitude, where the trainer for scrying is? Is there a quest I can trigger remotely that will give me the marker I can follow to boats/carriages/etc.?

You should be able to use a waypoint shrine to show up just outside the city gates. Then run up the hill past the stables and into the city. The antiquities trainer is in the building next to what will become Skyrim player housing, if that helps at all.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Dick Trauma posted:

If you have the dlcs you just wayshrine, if not you buy the dlcs and then wayshrine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's very strange to see Solitude again. When I entered the city I expected to see a crowd gathered for an execution.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dick Trauma posted:

It's very strange to see Solitude again. When I entered the city I expected to see a crowd gathered for an execution.

That's where you turn in your crafting dailies and I think of that every time I do it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That'll work for the alts yes but it depends what you're going for and what you know you don't already need. Deconstruction is really useful for enchanting levels and pretty much mandatory to get anywhere with jewellery which is very slow to level.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I can see now that it's going to take several days of my game time just scrying this green skooma pipe to get to the point where I might be able to scry for purples. But better now than when my main is even higher level, particularly because I didn't realize that leads expire.

I might not be able to get to most of them before I do, but eventually I should be able to keep up. And it gives me a good reason to do some long-range traveling and harvesting, to get away from questing a while.

But I have... another question!

I finally collected the beech I needed to finish an old writ but found that I still couldn't complete it. It was as if I didn't have any beech despite having collected a lot. Then I took a look at the Refine tab and saw that I had a bunch of plain beech, but needed sanded beech. Somehow I've gotten all this way without doing any refining. So I refined some of my beech and it became sanded beech and I finally finished the writ.

Not sure if that was the wrong thing to do but I didn't see any other way to get the prepared material I needed, and don't know how I've been able to do so many writs without this process. I open pretty much every container I see so perhaps I randomly have been finding enough prepared material.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dick Trauma posted:

I can see now that it's going to take several days of my game time just scrying this green skooma pipe to get to the point where I might be able to scry for purples. But better now than when my main is even higher level, particularly because I didn't realize that leads expire.

I might not be able to get to most of them before I do, but eventually I should be able to keep up. And it gives me a good reason to do some long-range traveling and harvesting, to get away from questing a while.

But I have... another question!

I finally collected the beech I needed to finish an old writ but found that I still couldn't complete it. It was as if I didn't have any beech despite having collected a lot. Then I took a look at the Refine tab and saw that I had a bunch of plain beech, but needed sanded beech. Somehow I've gotten all this way without doing any refining. So I refined some of my beech and it became sanded beech and I finally finished the writ.

Not sure if that was the wrong thing to do but I didn't see any other way to get the prepared material I needed, and don't know how I've been able to do so many writs without this process. I open pretty much every container I see so perhaps I randomly have been finding enough prepared material.
Yes, refining is what you're supposed to do.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dick Trauma posted:

Scrying goes faster the smaller the region you're in. That's why it was recommended to get to Arteum, since the zone is tiny and only takes a minute to traverse. You have to do the Summerset storyline a little to unlock it though.

You could also use any of the faction 'starting' islands since those are quite a bit smaller than a full zone (but still much bigger than Arteum).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Scrying goes faster the smaller the region you're in. That's why it was recommended to get to Arteum, since the zone is tiny and only takes a minute to traverse. You have to do the Summerset storyline a little to unlock it though.
You don't have to do the storyline if you find someone to port you. Ask in guild or zone and someone is usually willing to group and give you the wayshrine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'd read about that smaller area but I'm ok traipsing around Kenarthi's Roost. They must have had a lot of skooma smokers there based on how many pipes I've unearthed. By the weekend I should be able to move up to grabbing the blue items which should help speed my way to purples. By running everywhere I'm spotting loads of materials including new higher level stuff so by the time I feel caught up I should have plenty banked for my writs.

And thank you for clarifying the use of refining. I know that my crafting behavior is far from optimal but I should be able to at least keep up with writs.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Another tip: of all the scrying abilities, the one that converts a star-shaped area I find to be the best. It’s such a huge area that just doing two of them will get you almost all the nodes 9 times out of 10.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Doctor Zero posted:

Another tip: of all the scrying abilities, the one that converts a star-shaped area I find to be the best. It’s such a huge area that just doing two of them will get you almost all the nodes 9 times out of 10.

Yeah once you get a hang of the abilities the minigame will become… not a cakewalk, but pretty hard to not get all 6 nodes (and still fun)

Usually my strategy is to use the snowflake to get a huge mass in the middle, work out towards the edge with the normal tool, and then the line tool can get any nodes im close to but don’t have a direct pattern with.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The snowflake is the best tool for sure, with the added magicka charges you can get with skills it becomes trivial. Excavation can always be challenging though for the higher difficulties.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I'm just getting back into eso after about 2.5 years off. I started up because one friend also reinstalled and another just got it for the first time. today, doing the undaunted FG pledge, the two people I queued with didn't get the memo to jump down the waterfall. the random (our tank) and myself didn't feel like waiting and took the boss before the other two fought their way across the platforms. dont ever change, eso.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The dungeon finder is a nice feature, you can queue for quick dungeons with decent rewards and xp. I've run so many random dungeons I have a lot of sets collected upto the point of the weapons, which makes it easy to run them for jewelry + weapon set pieces which can complete a set's effect disregarding the armor type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah I have done a lot too, even vet runs, and have rarely found a useless or toxic group (and a few times I have been the weak point lol).

Make sure you know the boss mechanics before queueing for vet, it’s really important for dlc dungeons. I use the specific dungeon queue even if it takes longer because it feels bad to me to burden the team because I don’t know what to do.