Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Solium Infernum also has a win condition option (needs to be selected as a character perk at the start of the game) that if you are a blood vassal to the winner, you win instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Operation Eastside only has a colonization percentage as the sole victory condition.

And since you can freely share systems, you can colonize up to 100% of the map without ever going to war.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

They're not exactly 4Xs but obviously all the other Paradox games do this. In Crusader Kings you can even become a vassal and use politics to eventually take the throne of your liege.

Yeah Grand Strategy games don't really count for this.

I was mostly thinking that 4X games tend to be very "paint the map your color" and that tends to lead to very all-or-nothing results when it comes to wars. I never liked that, I was always a bigger was of non-binary win-lose conditions.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Civ5 of all things even has a cheevo for winning the game as Gandhi while only having 3 cities. The whole 'culture' mechanic is a bit annoying, but the game does offer that choice, too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
(Those are the only three cities left on the planet after Ghandi nuked the rest.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

One thing I think is really cool with Stellaris is how you can lose a war completely without losing the game, and even if you lose several wars you often still have the option to become a subject rather than outright losing the campaign.

Are there any other 4Xes that allow for partial loss like that? Most of the ones I can think of have the war always end up in the complete destruction of one of the parties, or maybe sometimes a draw if it's really fancy.

This is a bit of a lateral suggestion, but Total War: Three Kingdoms has entire characters and builds optimized around becoming someone's vassal before you get crushed. It's not as sandbox-y as I like, since TW:3K has forced historical start dates with preset dudes, but you can do really goofy bullshit like start as Liu Bei and jump from boss to boss for decades before you suddenly flip the table and murder everyone you've been working with for the past 30 years.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I WILL PURSUE LU BU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Just stay away from Lube Bu, even Dong Zhuo doesn't gently caress with that guy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah Grand Strategy games don't really count for this.

I was mostly thinking that 4X games tend to be very "paint the map your color" and that tends to lead to very all-or-nothing results when it comes to wars. I never liked that, I was always a bigger was of non-binary win-lose conditions.

if you're playing at a high enough difficulty to be genuinely challenged but not totally overwhelmed, civ 4 wars end short of total destruction pretty frequently. at least for me. a peer power AI in the mid-game can usually make enough of a nuisance of themselves that you're better off pressing them for concessions and regrouping for a while rather than pressing on at the cost of a steadily dwindling army and possibly a stack sneaking by and threatening your territory, and if you're on the losing end you can generally be annoying enough to make them do the same. if your civ 4 games usually involve devouring entire civs in one go then you're playing on too low of a difficulty imo

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Is there a particularly good Distant Worlds 2 tutorial/let's play out there?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Electric_Mud posted:

Is there a particularly good Distant Worlds 2 tutorial/let's play out there?

Das Tactic and quill18 are the usual goto's in this space.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah Das Tactic is who I watched back when the game launched. Idk if he has an updated version for whatever updates have come since then, but he’s the kind of player than even a normal playthrough is tutorialy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thirding the DasTactics recommendation for Distant Worlds 2. Quill18 is more entertaining but doesn't explain much unless he's also only just learning it for the first time.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Das did a new DW2 tutorial series recently.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Well that's a pretty solid consensus thank you all.

Now I just have to learn to not suck.

Electric_Mud fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 3, 2023

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Is DW2 stable for people? On my computer it likes to crash with an access violation (0xc00000005) in the Windows application log and nothing at all in game log. Happens even when paused, and never on any action from me, so some background process. No other application does this and memcheck comes up clean. I can reload from last autosave and it won't crash again on the same date, and happens across saves, so not corruption in the save. Bloody annoying.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
No crashes, but every run I do is a ticking timebomb of performance issues. Always starts out great and then slowly churns down to nearly unplayable in spurts

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

WarpDogs posted:

No crashes, but every run I do is a ticking timebomb of performance issues. Always starts out great and then slowly churns down to nearly unplayable in spurts

The devs did players a solid and at least included recommendations of map sizes based on your PC's hardware. Though this of course doesn't help you much if all the fun map sizes are not recommended due to your aging shitbox. :v:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Caconym posted:

Is DW2 stable for people? On my computer it likes to crash with an access violation (0xc00000005) in the Windows application log and nothing at all in game log. Happens even when paused, and never on any action from me, so some background process. No other application does this and memcheck comes up clean. I can reload from last autosave and it won't crash again on the same date, and happens across saves, so not corruption in the save. Bloody annoying.

nope, still quite unstable unfortunately

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I'm one of the artists on DW2. We've been working on weird permformance and crashes still but we've gotten to the point where we can't recreate issues so we need saved games. If anyone having issues could drop their save (along with the issue) on the forums or Discord that'd be a great help.

The Discovery update does have a bunch of fixes for random things so hopefully that'll help too.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I know changing it to windowed mode fixed the crash issues I was having but :shrug: that's such a ymmv thing.

EDIT: So do fuel ships just not do anything? One or two ships in a fleet will have 0 fuel and instead of the fuel ships refilling them the whole fleet will leave to refill somewhere.

Electric_Mud fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 13, 2023

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

MrTargetPractice posted:

I'm one of the artists on DW2. We've been working on weird permformance and crashes still but we've gotten to the point where we can't recreate issues so we need saved games. If anyone having issues could drop their save (along with the issue) on the forums or Discord that'd be a great help.

The Discovery update does have a bunch of fixes for random things so hopefully that'll help too.

Yeah, I contemplated uploading a save, but since so much happens between an autosave and a crash, and it's never crashed again at the same time, it would be needle in a haystack. The issue probably isn't present in the save state unless the timing is juuust right, like some freighter getting destroyed right before the game tries to allocate it a mission or something (but that _should_ just result in a handled and logged nullReferenceExeption in the game log, so it's probably a lot more obscure). I just know that _somewhere_ in the code, in some worker process that runs even when the game is paused, there's a bug that _sometimes_ leads to an unhandled exception resulting in an access violation on my machine. :v:
If I ever end up with a save where it'll always happen again on reload I'll be sure to upload it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s long past time for games to integrate a crash reporter or at least minidumper.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

We have pne of sorts but it's not able to capture an entire saved game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah you’d need people to upload the memory dump and save somewhere

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

There's a demo and a playtest for Hexarchy out https://store.steampowered.com/app/1356810/Hexarchy/ .
I played the last playtest and had a decent time, it's a fun, quick card based 4x game.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Master of Magic has... cyborgs?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lowen posted:

There's a demo and a playtest for Hexarchy out https://store.steampowered.com/app/1356810/Hexarchy/ .
I played the last playtest and had a decent time, it's a fun, quick card based 4x game.
I quite enjoyed this, thanks for mentioning it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Splicer posted:

I quite enjoyed this, thanks for mentioning it.

Yeah, i agree- i think my main complaint about it is the card pool could use some more potential variation game-to-game and the AI kinda sucks (though i suspect it could improve).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, i agree- i think my main complaint about it is the card pool could use some more potential variation game-to-game and the AI kinda sucks (though i suspect it could improve).
Yeah, there are different cultures but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them. You can customize quite hard with the burn functionality (which I really like as a mechanic) but the starts did feel a bit samey.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Splicer posted:

Yeah, there are different cultures but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them. You can customize quite hard with the burn functionality (which I really like as a mechanic) but the starts did feel a bit samey.

Yeah, you should Always Be Burning, the first burn is incredibly worthwhile but you should be pretty ruthless to get just the good stuff. Also you should always be using your gold, draw those cards.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Anybody been playing Ozymandias recently? Saw it mentioned once or twice in the thread but it just dropped its final map as part of the Steam sale (in which everything is 40% off if you get it all in one bundle) and curious to know if it's worth it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jossar posted:

Anybody been playing Ozymandias recently? Saw it mentioned once or twice in the thread but it just dropped its final map as part of the Steam sale (in which everything is 40% off if you get it all in one bundle) and curious to know if it's worth it.

I played a couple of games a while back and enjoyed those games but have felt no compunction to revisit it since.

It's streamlined to the point where there's nothing left to learn once you've won a game.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Yeah it's a very neat little game that captures a lot of the essence of 4x. Once you play about 10 games though you've seen everything there is to see. I say this having played like 30 games.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Ah well, I suppose for $10 it wouldn't be the worst purchase in the world, especially for something more streamlined/quick, but I do have Civ 6 floating around waiting to be reinstalled and that's probably the better call unless I get truly frustrated with playtime. Thanks for the info!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jossar posted:

I've been seeing a lot of quick 4xs in the spirit of Polytopia lately. I've yet to see one that's an improvement over Polytopia, but Ozymandias at least looks like it has some interesting ideas.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm trying Old World and for some reason the combination of crusader kings style character management, orders, and ahistoric techs really bothers me in a way that civ doesn't.

Researching Steel with my pagan dynasty that is currently building famous bronze age wonders is a level of ahistorical I can't get behind for some reason. It was painful enough trying to ignore all of the iron mines my chariots were racing around.

Why do people who make historic 4xs seem to frequently hate history?

I think Civ feels more like an obvious dumb boardgame to me? I never enjoyed fighting phalanx with helicopter gunships in that game either but it didn't stop me from playing like this does.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 2, 2023

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm trying Old World and for some reason the combination of crusader kings style character management, orders, and ahistoric techs really bothers me in a way that civ doesn't.

Researching Steel with my pagan dynasty that is currently building famous bronze age wonders is a level of ahistorical I can't get behind for some reason. It was painful enough trying to ignore all of the iron mines my chariots were racing around.

Why do people who make historic 4xs seem to frequently hate history?

I think Civ feels more like an obvious dumb boardgame to me? I never enjoyed fighting phalanx with helicopter gunships in that game either but it didn't stop me from playing like this does.

Not sure why Old World would be a "historic 4x" while Civilization is not. I don't get that feeling myself, anyway. They're both 4X games to me (aka obvious dumb boardgames).

Also:
People knew how to make steel during the bronze age.
People mined iron during the bronze age.

Old World calling the metal resource "iron" is a mistake I think.
Copper, tin, and bronze don't exist in this mostly bronze age game, so:
IMO they should have called it "metal" rather than iron, and let it be an abstraction.

But that doesn't really bother me personally.

LLSix posted:

I've been seeing a lot of quick 4xs in the spirit of Polytopia lately. I've yet to see one that's an improvement over Polytopia, but Ozymandias at least looks like it has some interesting ideas.

Hexarchy feels like an improvement to me, but it's going for more of a Civilization type game compared to Polytopia's Empire.
I didn't like Ozymandias. For starters the gameplay is based on present maps rather than RMG like a proper 4X.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Lowen posted:

Hexarchy feels like an improvement to me, but it's going for more of a Civilization type game compared to Polytopia's Empire.
I didn't like Ozymandias. For starters the gameplay is based on present maps rather than RMG like a proper 4X.

Well Ozymandius's core design isn't tailored towards arbitrary performance on an arbitrary map, it's oriented entirely towards preset scenario design. In essence the goal is understanding the best ways to use the game's mechanics to win in one of several predetermined starting positions, which is different but not really "less" 4X than any other game of its ilk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well Ozymandius's core design isn't tailored towards arbitrary performance on an arbitrary map, it's oriented entirely towards preset scenario design. In essence the goal is understanding the best ways to use the game's mechanics to win in one of several predetermined starting positions, which is different but not really "less" 4X than any other game of its ilk.

I just personally feel like RMG is a core feature of 4X gameplay.
No RMG, not a 4X - it's something else.
That's just personally how I see it, and I think that's why when I tried Ozymandius it wasn't appealing to me.