Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

yesterday I visited a town I used to spend a lot of time in years ago. it was barely recognisable.

the bridge over the railway is narrow, and pedestrians were crowded on the narrow pavement next to a line of queuing cars. Now it has been closed to vehicles so it's actually nice to walk over. great! the main road still has traffic but it's been block paved with loads of raised pedestrian crossings. loads better.

All the back streets around the market have been tarted up too. this is how I remember this street:

and this is how it looks now:

the whole place was buzzing, everywhere was busy despite being a weekday. I stayed and spent money on food and drink which I wasn't planning on. I left in a really good mood.

every town needs to get this treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 72 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Not to be outdone, New Yorkers also submitted requests for 55 groups that should under no circumstances be granted exemptions from the toll, including bicyclists

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/02/opinion/were-taking-new-york-citys-streets-back-and-then-were-coming-for-the-rest-of-the-country.html

lol congestion bike tax

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
hoping swimmers across the river are one of the 55

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zokari posted:

how do you do 700 pages about hating cars

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

i hate cars: 6x6 military edition

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the vengeance looks copied from red faction 3

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Walking to the bus and see a car in the bus lane in a goddamn one-way street going the wrong direction.

I got in front of them and forced them to turn around. They were very upset with me. loving psychotic.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's a big moral dilemma. On the one hand you'd be justified smashing the car, on the other hand, getting it towed away would take a long time and obstruct even further.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Horace posted:

yesterday I visited a town I used to spend a lot of time in years ago. it was barely recognisable.

the bridge over the railway is narrow, and pedestrians were crowded on the narrow pavement next to a line of queuing cars. Now it has been closed to vehicles so it's actually nice to walk over. great! the main road still has traffic but it's been block paved with loads of raised pedestrian crossings. loads better.

All the back streets around the market have been tarted up too. this is how I remember this street:

the whole place was buzzing, everywhere was busy despite being a weekday. I stayed and spent money on food and drink which I wasn't planning on. I left in a really good mood.

every town needs to get this treatment.

that first picture is way better than the average in the states lol

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Ham Equity posted:

Walking to the bus and see a car in the bus lane in a goddamn one-way street going the wrong direction.

I got in front of them and forced them to turn around. They were very upset with me. loving psychotic.

I’m glad they yielded but I would advise not getting in front of the murder machine no matter how right you are.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
I'm glad you stopped to help out; Those poor businesses, not even a single customer parking spot :ohdear:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

that first picture is way better than the average in the states lol

you would think the British would appreciate roads that are wide enough to play football on

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
day 2 of bike ownership. it still owns. went on a short ride to scout out a good way to get to Aldi. I was able to keep an average speed of 10mph which isn't too bad I don't think although I'm still terribly out of shape but riding frequently will fix that. hopefully it cools down soon because I'm definitely not used to riding in 90 degree heat.

do people buy mirrors for bikes, I felt naked without being able to see behind me without turning my head

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Visiting my sister in Vancouver, went a long walk, then hopped on a bike share to ride home. The bike was pretty crap, but the ride was excellent

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

spacemang_spliff posted:

day 2 of bike ownership. it still owns. went on a short ride to scout out a good way to get to Aldi. I was able to keep an average speed of 10mph which isn't too bad I don't think although I'm still terribly out of shape but riding frequently will fix that. hopefully it cools down soon because I'm definitely not used to riding in 90 degree heat.

do people buy mirrors for bikes, I felt naked without being able to see behind me without turning my head

get a cool helmet mirror

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Helmet mirror is a sign of class.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
so I spent 15 dollars and look rich now? that owns

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
maybe cars will stop swerving at me if they know I'm rich

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Narrator: They won’t.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

Some people do. Most just keep their head on a swivel

open-carrying is about the only thing I can imagine reliably making drivers give you space. That are riding with a propane tank on the back like that one goon did.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
wanting to see behind you is car-brained, please abolish the driver in your mind

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Horace posted:

insane SMB owners (same thing) always cry wolf when you try to add a bike lane or pedestrianize their digs, and it inevitably results in double digit increases in business. They're *so* incompetent.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

wanting to see behind you is car-brained, please abolish the driver in your mind

what if im rollerskating backwards
what if im riding fixie backwards

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

spacemang_spliff posted:

Hell yeah, 10 mph is definitely not bad for a start, especially if it's in an urban or suburban area with lots of stopping.

IMO mirrors are nice but not essential, since as a bike you're not doing a lot of merging and being outside of a vehicle it's pretty easy to hear cars coming up from behind you. I'd put lights and a rear rack above a mirror as essentials. Also, it's probably a placebo but about six months ago I installed an empty Gopro case mount on my helmet and I feel like drivers have been less aggressive around me since then. It won't stop anybody who's plumb not paying attention, but it might stop somebody messing with you on purpose.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rochallor posted:

about six months ago I installed an empty Gopro case mount on my helmet and I feel like drivers have been less aggressive around me since then. It won't stop anybody who's plumb not paying attention, but it might stop somebody messing with you on purpose.
That’s loving genius

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I used to have a side mirror on the left side of the handlebars of my old bike, but I've just gotten better at shoulder-checking all the time

Agree that front and rear lights are more important

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Slight derail but the story of Narita Airport is wild, here's an excerpt from the book Dissenting Japan:

lol that's badass, crawling through the sewers Splinter Cell-style

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spacemang_spliff posted:

I was able to keep an average speed of 10mph which isn't too bad I don't think although I'm still terribly out of shape but riding frequently will fix that.

Yeah ten miles per hour is fine for a start, and you’ll see big stamina gains in days and weeks.

spacemang_spliff posted:

They do.

Radar and cameras are expensive modern alternatives.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have a Mirrycle side mirror. It doesn't really live up to its name, as it now comes loose after every 3-4 adjustments and needs one of the less common hex wrench sizes to tighten.

The Garmin Varia radar taillights are useful and go on sale occasionally. The included mount kinda sucks and 3rd party options aren't great. There's an even more expensive model with a camera and probably even worse battery life.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Helmet mirrors > handlebar mirrors

Handlebar mirrors are easy to attach sure, but they are actually pretty loving difficult to see anything through and they are the first thing to get smashed when the bike falls over.

Handlebar mirrors and cable locks should gently caress off and die

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
front and rear disc brakes and a mirrored helmet are probably the biggest safety factors regarding the bicycle itself

imo there's a lot of potential for bicycle car-alert system that recognizes them acoustically, you could have transducers between the wheel & tire that pick up ground vibration and tell you if something's approaching from behind/sides and at what speed, it wouldn't be easy to make super accurate but something that tells you if an SUV is ripping towards you from behind wouldn't be hard

if someone steals my idea give me money

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

FirstnameLastname posted:

imo there's a lot of potential for bicycle car-alert system that recognizes them acoustically, you could have transducers between the wheel & tire that pick up ground vibration and tell you if something's approaching from behind/sides and at what speed, it wouldn't be easy to make super accurate but something that tells you if an SUV is ripping towards you from behind wouldn't be hard

if someone steals my idea give me money

am I being whooshed lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

In case you're ambushed by the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan in the Costco parking lot.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
but are they lentil proof?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

PittTheElder posted:

Visiting my sister in Vancouver, went a long walk, then hopped on a bike share to ride home. The bike was pretty crap, but the ride was excellent

The Vancouver bikeshare bikes are unbelievably bad, and are basically unrideable if you're over 5'10"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Vancouver bikeshare bikes are unbelievably bad, and are basically unrideable if you're over 5'10"

sounds fair, those guys need a win

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

re: existential urban planning ennui, activists in Toronto have spent decades lobbying to expand the once-pathetic bike lane network. There's now a 15km stretch of protected (ish) bike lanes on the main E-W street (Bloor), a shorter stretch N-S (Yonge) - both on top of subway lines - and many more unprotected lanes, mostly downtown. Of course shitheads are hard at work trying to get them removed but they're mostly failing.

If anything makes me vaguely optimistic it's that northern climates mean roads go to poo poo fairly quickly and need to be replaced, and there now seems to be a critical mass of woke millennial bureaucrats trying to get streets redesigned to modern standards. They proposed for a more major suburban road (that also has a fiasco of a subway line, but that's another story) to get rebuilt like this:

... and another one getting an equally-shambolic (but necessary) underground light rail line like so:

The slightly funny part is the above lanes already have a short stretch actually built, and an ostensibly progressive city councillor who failed miserably in a bid to become mayor complained about that:

quote:

What is bothering Matlow, he says, is that it seems as though the city is consulting and garnering input from the public on something that is already partially built.

“I went back to the city staff and I just said like what I don’t even understand this because you’re consulting on something that Metrolinx says contractors have already partially constructed,” Matlow explained. “So doesn’t that come across as disingenuous to the community and the BIAs (Business Improvement Associations) that you’re now consulting on a proposed idea that’s already partially constructed, right? There’s already components of the bike lanes built.”

Maureen Sirois is the chair of the Eglinton Way BIA and has been a strong advocate for local businesses impacted by the Crosstown LRT construction as well as the COVID-19 pandemic. She is concerned about the new Eglinton TOday plan, and the potential elimination of street parking.

“It’s not fair to the businesses who have sustained these challenges between construction and COVID, and now to add this layer of challenge as well is unthinkable,” she said, during a past interview regarding Crosstown construction. “And we’re not against bike lanes, but there has to be some kind of parking.”

She said, the previous plan Eglinton Connects has been ditched, and with it, the original scope of work that included both bike lanes and street parking. And she said, the city has not been transparent with its planning.

It’s the biggest, deepest, darkest secret. Nobody’s talking about it,” she said. “If you look at the original Eglinton Connects plan, there was a plan to rehabilitate the sidewalks, put in bike lanes and street parking on both sides of the street. But they’re not doing the Eglinton Connects. They’re doing this other plan, which doesn’t involve sidewalk rehabilitation. So they don’t have the real estate and they’re just going to get rid of the parking.”

lol. gently caress you and gently caress your street parking. Incidentally, here's what part of the already-built stretch looks like:

The big station on the right is for the subway line that crosses under the street and the smaller, glassier station further back on the same side of the street is for the aforementioned LRT, also underground but parallel to the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I am, and yup. Still wish my city had bike share.