Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I really liked these three episodes. I genuinely hope they continue with Liandrin in this fashion, she is such a great character. I'll admit it took until the second episode for nuMat to grab me, but he's a good fit for the part. Every major complaint I had about Season 1 was addressed in these 3 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love Ishamael's little Darkfriend sales pitch of "do you know how unfair it is that everyone knows me only as 'the Father of Lies'? I mean, I totally am, but, like, do you have any idea how much it hurts my feelings? That poo poo sucks, man."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Halfway through episode 1 and just taking a break to say Horny Alanna is quite possibly the best thing I've ever seen on television

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The departures from the books are greater than ever, but I think that works in it's favor. I only watched 2 episodes so far because Starfield came out at the exact same time, but S2 is really grabbing me in a way that S1 didn't and it's really working. Liandrin is massively improved over her book character. You have so much ground to cover I think you really needed to make the kind of moves they did.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh my god Elayne is perfect

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

I really liked these three episodes. I genuinely hope they continue with Liandrin in this fashion, she is such a great character.

I can fix her :shobon:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Are there animated episodes this time? I couldn't find any, but I couldn't find the old ones either when I looked back.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I finished the three episodes, really dug them. Some particular thoughts in random order:

- Mat might be the best character continuation over a recasting I've ever seen. Sure he looks slightly different but Donal Finn feels like he's the exact same person as Barney Harris. The language, the physicality, it's all identical.

- Also very excited to see how they handle Mat and Min's insane sexual chemistry.

- The Accepted test was fantastic. Firstly in how much time they devoted to it and then the fakeout in the third arch. Just when I was thinking they'd whiffed on the last test they flipped it all over.

- They've done a fabulous job of making the Seanchan a completely alien culture, they're so creepy

- Cairhien is every bit as hosed up as I wanted it to be

The only real issue I have with these episodes is there's no Siuan. I demand Sophie Okenwedo on my screen at all times :argh:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I did my first read through of the books last year but watching this show has me in the mood to go through them again. I’m going audiobooks this time, should I start with the new Rosamund Pike ones or the originals?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

loudog999 posted:

I did my first read through of the books last year but watching this show has me in the mood to go through them again. I’m going audiobooks this time, should I start with the new Rosamund Pike ones or the originals?

There are only 2 RP audiobooks so far, I would listen to them and then switch over. You’ll have hundreds of hours with the original duo and can always go back and listen to their version of the first two later. Pike kicks rear end though, she’s giving 110% on her performances

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

There are only 2 RP audiobooks so far, I would listen to them and then switch over. You’ll have hundreds of hours with the original duo and can always go back and listen to their version of the first two later. Pike kicks rear end though, she’s giving 110% on her performances

That’s what I was leaning towards. I already own the classic book 1 and about seven chapters in the narrator sounds not so good to me, but I’ve read that he gets better and I haven’t even made it to the female narrator yet. I think I’ll give it until she shows up at least before I decide. Luckily, since I own the kindle edition of the books, I can add the audible versions for around $7 so I can continue hoarding my credits.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The original audiobooks seem to have completely insane pronunciation of names. You get used to it but it's kind of bananas. Though maybe those are the official pronunciations and the show is doing them wrong?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

El Grillo posted:

The original audiobooks seem to have completely insane pronunciation of names. You get used to it but it's kind of bananas. Though maybe those are the official pronunciations and the show is doing them wrong?

I’m sure I was butchering most of the names in my head while I was reading so either are probably closer to correct than what I have. I had no idea how Aes Sedai was supposed to be pronounced and read ogier as ogre throughout the books.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I watched the first ep and it was pretty decent. I was going to say Perrin's actor was a lot better than last season but then he tried to emote anger and it fell apart for me. the last scene didn't seem to make sense to me though, where the hell is that meant to take place?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you pause at any given moment, there is an icon which says where the scene it taking place with a little blurb. Everything with Moiraine takes place in Arafel at small village called Tifan's Well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

loudog999 posted:

I’m sure I was butchering most of the names in my head while I was reading so either are probably closer to correct than what I have. I had no idea how Aes Sedai was supposed to be pronounced and read ogier as ogre throughout the books.

From what I've seen, both narrators have mostly similar pronunciations as the show does, the only sticking point seems to be Tar Valon, which the book narrators seem to treat as one word and say it "TarVALen" and the show treats as two words and says it as "Tar VA-lon".

I haven't heard Rosamund Pike's version of the books, but I assume she uses the show pronunciation.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm enjoying this season much more than the latter half of the first.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I will continue to rage at what they did to my boy Loial but I guess they make up for it with HotLan

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did anyone say “abs’Lan” Mandragoran yet.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol yea i was like GODDAMN i gotta stop slacking on my workouts

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
When are the next episodes coming out?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

only saw the first two but wow they're way better than season one. alanna and everything in the tower rules, everything else is s a C+

they're really doing well with the tower and I'm hyped for ep 3

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

When are the next episodes coming out?

Thursday at 8pm EST

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I guess it's better?

As a book purist it feels very much like people read the books as a spurce for the wiki (I hated the kid in the Forsaken meeting scene) but the first episode felt very disjointed and they were paying a lot for the questionable decisions made in Season 1, when they clearly didn't have enough faith in the material for it to be worth adapting. See: Perrin's wife, "who is the Dragon?", cutting the Dragonmount prologue.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If you want to discuss more about material that hasn’t been, but may yet be, shown in the series, mosey on over to the Book Barn thread where spoilers abound.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

As a book purist
What possible engagement can you gleen from posting as a book purist in the thread that isn't about the books and specifically doesn't want to talk about the books?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

CainFortea posted:

What possible engagement can you gleen from posting as a book purist in the thread that isn't about the books and specifically doesn't want to talk about the books?

I mean, we can mock the show doing another fake death of Nynaeve for a desperate attempt at pathos, can we do that?

Is there a book barn thread to take this to?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I mean, we can mock the show doing another fake death of Nynaeve for a desperate attempt at pathos, can we do that?

It is linked in the opening post……………

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

yes, and we can’t wait for your insights (the accepted test was good, op)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Yes. Discuss the show and not the book in this here thread which is about the show and not the books.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Liandrin when Nynaeve talks about her sword training:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My own impressions are similar to my impressions with season 1. I see why they've made some of the changes they have made since I know the books so well and know where characters are headed. Beyond that, I think they did a pretty good job of the plot so far, Elayne is perfect, and I enjoyed Egewne's visible annoyance at Nynaeve being the one the Aes Sedai are interested in.

My only complaint so far is that the Seanchen accents need to be more exaggerated, I want them all to sound like Foghorn Leghorn.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My only complaint so far is that the Seanchen accents need to be more exaggerated, I want them all to sound like Foghorn Leghorn.

Imagine hearing lady suroths voice talking in a southern accent and being mad that it’s not southern enough!!!

Seriously though has any other show filmed with the main cast using a British accent tried the “show a group is foreign by having them talk like they’re from the Deep South” approach? Feel like that’s a new one.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

My only complaint other than Uno :mad: is Nynaeve's test. In the first two arches she had to make a hard choice, she didn't in the third one. The choice was made for her.
She didn't even have to abandon her daughter, in her mind she was running away with her

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
In episode 3, I don’t think the second time the arch showed up was part of the test. You aren’t supposed to be able to channel in the alternate worlds presented to you by that ter’angreal. Nynaeve did during the trolloc attack, and my supposition is that that triggered the reappearance of the arch. We’ll have to see if the show addresses this in later episodes.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Grundulum posted:

In episode 3, I don’t think the second time the arch showed up was part of the test. You aren’t supposed to be able to channel in the alternate worlds presented to you by that ter’angreal. Nynaeve did during the trolloc attack, and my supposition is that that triggered the reappearance of the arch. We’ll have to see if the show addresses this in later episodes.

Yeah I saw that as her failing the choice (or it being sabotaged because it barely even appeared??) when she initially sees lan, then she breaks the test by channeling inside (because she’s so powerful/angry) which reactivates it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

canepazzo posted:

My only complaint other than Uno :mad: is Nynaeve's test. In the first two arches she had to make a hard choice, she didn't in the third one. The choice was made for her.
She didn't even have to abandon her daughter, in her mind she was running away with her

The choice was even harder. Her child was the last one of her loved ones left. She could have run off into the woods and escaped with her.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CainFortea posted:

The choice was even harder. Her child was the last one of her loved ones left. She could have run off into the woods and escaped with her.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that she knew that she wouldn't be able to take her daughter with her.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Logain is very good in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like the kinda choppy, disjointed editing in the parts with Rand. Making scenes start and end suddenly and otherwise feel like dreams expresses his worry about losing his grip on reality. Also, having so many swerves in his arc so far - oh poo poo, he's shacking up with some woman! oh poo poo, he's super nice to the sanatorium patients, in contrast to the mean guy! oh poo poo, he's totally brutalizing the mean guy! oh poo poo, it's because he's in deep cover! - are really doing a lot to give him more interest than he carried in season 1.