Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FoolyCharged posted:

That's always been the case. Before streamers were a thing we just bought what all our friends and the other kids at school were playing and talking about.

It's the same reason everyone went to the same movies. Socializing and talking about the thing you just experienced is part of the amusement for most people.

people always got social recommendations from somewhere, sure
but friends don't have the same dynamics as full time professional "content creators" that emphasize infinite-content forevergames
the move from getting game suggestions from neighbors to internet personalities has affected which kinds of genres get popular

e: of course the ability to keep the whales you hook strung along forever paying for more live-service microtransactions is certainly appealing to publishers. but they also like the easier access to free advertising from streamers.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

THE TITLE IS A LIE I HAVE NO STARFIELD CODE ANYMORE.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think you owe it to the people to buy a code to give away after lying like that. For shame.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I bet D&C used it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Doom Rooster posted:

This acceptance of Civ 6 will not stand. Even Beyond Earth was better than 6.

BE was the worst civ-like game I've played, mostly due to the AI not understanding anything. I finished my very first game with an ascension, and none of the 6 other players had yet to pick an affinity (to those not in the know, that's like winning with a space victory while everyone has yet to discover the wheel). The AI opponents where clearly incapable of basic actions in every regard, from warfare to city development. I played a second game on the penultimate difficultly, still not really know wtf I was doing with most of the mechanics, and the situation wasn't much better.

I laud Civ6 not because it's flawless, infact its kinda half-assed in a lot of ways, but because when taking the game as a whole it's still a better product than its contemporaries. For all the AI loopholes and UI oddities, it still delivers a solid player experience start to finish. E.g. I love Endless Legend so very much but it didn't have the longevity other 4Xs do once you've mastered the systems =[

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duck and Cover posted:

THE TITLE IS A LIE I HAVE NO STARFIELD CODE ANYMORE.

loving hell (dives down pole to title editing room, hastily jamming hat on heda)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Where's the stream D&C

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Devils Affricate posted:

Where's the stream D&C

*busts into D&C's room with a blacklight* WHERE'S THE STREAM D&C

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Amplitude makes interesting lore and factions but are absolutely hopeless when it comes to making a well built 4x. Unfortunately that's the only genre they want to make. Old World is really good though, even if that's partially because how hard it limits scope.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Where's the stream D&C

I own a hypercube https://hyperspacelight.com and nanoleaf lights so I'm all set. Glad to see all my ducklings here don't forget to donate!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 2, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

MrQwerty posted:

I bet D&C used it

Same. Codes don't just disappear!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Drunk Nerds posted:

That's the cool thing about getting old. Change isn't that important or alluring anymore.

Yes I have over 5k hours logged into Slay the Spire

wow, thats a lot of hours to put in a game with the depth of a frying pan

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

wow, thats a lot of hours to put in a game with the depth of a frying pan

No skillet noob

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Things that actively make games strictly worse:

1. weapons, armour and items with randomised stats. I don't want to sift through a million garbage items to find the one with the tiny advantage over the others, I want to have at most a dozen set alternatives for each type of gear that interact with other types of gear meaningfully so that there's still a bunch of viable builds but without a slot machine aspect.
  2. enemy level scaling. If my level 1 peasant hits a level one rat with his moderately sharp stick for 20% damage and 20 hours later my level 50 Omnicidal Chaos Lord hits a Level 50 rat with his Vorpal Chaos Blade for 20% damage you should go gently caress yourself. Create some more interesting enemies that don't just differ by their up and damage stats. If I see a rat in the endgame I should be able to set it on fire just by looking at it
  3. procedural level generation. Oh look, a Baskin Robbins with 75 trillion flavours and they're all bland.
  4. player items/perks that make tiny incremental differences. Stick your +0.25% to flame damage up your rear end. Don't give me a character that levels 100 times and get tiny upgrades each time, give me 10 points in the game where I gain a meaningful new power to add to my repertoire.

Actually design, craft, balance and playtest your game, fucko.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Breetai posted:

Snip

I agree with all of them except I think procedural levels *can* be used in interesting ways. But they usually aren't.

The rest are 100% legit tho.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Breetai posted:

1. weapons, armour and items with randomised stats. I don't want to sift through a million garbage items to find the one with the tiny advantage over the others, I want to have at most a dozen set alternatives for each type of gear that interact with other types of gear meaningfully so that there's still a bunch of viable builds but without a slot machine aspect.
  2. enemy level scaling. If my level 1 peasant hits a level one rat with his moderately sharp stick for 20% damage and 20 hours later my level 50 Omnicidal Chaos Lord hits a Level 50 rat with his Vorpal Chaos Blade for 20% damage you should go gently caress yourself. Create some more interesting enemies that don't just differ by their up and damage stats. If I see a rat in the endgame I should be able to set it on fire just by looking at it
  3. procedural level generation. Oh look, a Baskin Robbins with 75 trillion flavours and they're all bland.
  4. player items/perks that make tiny incremental differences. Stick your +0.25% to flame damage up your rear end. Don't give me a character that levels 100 times and get tiny upgrades each time, give me 10 points in the game where I gain a meaningful new power to add to my repertoire.

Agreed with all of that.

I'm getting pretty set against all of these things in games really. I'll tolerate them up to a point and that's all.

I dunno what you'd call it overall but it's all part of the same trend - faked variety.

The most annoying part is, if they weren't so set on giving the appearance of being a large and complex game, most games actually could boil their hundreds of meaningless options down to a dozen interesting ones and actually work on balancing them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Balance is hard. Possibly even a fool's errand.

Procgen is 100% achievable, otoh.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

That's the cool thing about getting old. Change isn't that important or alluring anymore.

Yes I have over 5k hours logged into Slay the Spire

I try to get the best of both worlds by putting 5k hours across several different StS clones.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Breetai posted:

Yeah I think JRPGs had basically solved the item thing, you limit the item pool to an obvious upgrade path that gives you A) rewards in dungeons that are actually useful to you and B) items in shops that are actually worth buying. Western RPGs could do this, even if they're open world it's not difficult to check what items the player currently has and offer them something new with a small upgrade on it. Littering the world with trash items that the player will never use is a design choice, and it's a bad one

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I think JRPGs had basically solved the item thing, you limit the item pool to an obvious upgrade path that gives you A) rewards in dungeons that are actually useful to you and B) items in shops that are actually worth buying. Western RPGs could do this, even if they're open world it's not difficult to check what items the player currently has and offer them something new with a small upgrade on it. Littering the world with trash items that the player will never use is a design choice, and it's a bad one

Path of Exile has loot filters when instead things could drop less garbage. Well it should probably have both.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah the game shouldn't drop items that are obviously trash in the first game

Torchlight came so close to figuring this out, your dog could go to town and sell poo poo for you. But then you wouldn't have your dog for the next several encounters. Like most of the design choices in Torchlight, this was dumb and bad.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This is why Progress Quest is the best RPG.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Robobot posted:

This is why Progress Quest is the best RPG.

I really want to make a sequel to progress quest. Just the same thing but maybe with some art so you can see your character wearing increasingly-ostentatious clownsuits and maybe a lil drawing of what kind of ridiculous creature they're fighting. And global chat or something so you can talk poo poo about how much more progress you have than others.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There have been a million "idle games" released in the years since Progress Quest but almost none of them have even attempted what Progress Quest did: being idle and not exponentially ramping up the numbers to appeal to some kind of scientific notation addict club

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I liked reading gaming magazines as a kid, watching Twitch streaming took that away from me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a large subset of games that were actually far better experienced through reading the strategy guide than in actually playing them. Digimon World 3 immediately comes to mind

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

I liked reading gaming magazines as a kid, watching Twitch streaming took that away from me.

Are you being blackmailed or something

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Do they still print gaming magazines?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think Game Informer was the last US based one

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

QuarkJets posted:

The Borderlands promise: This game has Nine hundred gorrilian, nine hundred and ninety-nine brazilian, nine quadrillion and three guns, making it the best looting game you'll ever play!

The Borderlands reality: Enemies drop trash directly from an rear end in a top hat. There are also set weapons and items that spawn at the same places during storyline missions with some sort of specialty affix: the instant you get your hands on them you will exclusively use them as even when underleveled they will outperform anything that drops from any enemy including the end boss, and at least their specialty affix makes them unique and introduces gameplay variety above "has more HP" or "Does more damage". Welcome to the treadmill of making these set weapons work as they gradually lose effectiveness in the face of level scaling until you can find the next one. It is not only possible but also extremely likely that you will go several playthroughs only using them and never once actually using a random drop.

There's a vending machine in one of the games which is the only way of increasing the level of a weapon. It achieves this by having you input several weapons and some rare currency, and then averaging the level of the input weapons.

For all their other faults (and there are many) the BL games would have benefited from removing HP and Damage-based scaling from leveling entirely, having leveling only apply to the player character and only actually apply to the aquisition of new perks, and introducing a new weapons system where there's just the unique weapons with their unique affixes. This way gear is never underleveled and the focus is on finding synergy between gear attributes rather than 'number go up', and you can even test early and late game items together to see if there's interesting combinations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Gaming magazines were great and had weird as hell ads

I wonder how much impact the dumb Earthbound ad really had on its success or if it was more why am I paying like $10 more or whatever it was for this giant box game that I have no idea what it's about

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The best idle game was the one that ran off a bot in a dedicated IRC channel to track how long each "player" has been logged in and remained completely silent. All you had to do was sit there without typing anything or disconnecting, otherwise you'd get set back to level 0. Sounds simple enough, until you remember that this was back in the dialup era. :twisted:

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I find the idea of a "forever game" kind of existentially terrifying in its hollowness.

I had a friend who when looking for a house at ~30 constantly talked about looking for his "forever home" and it irked me in the same way. Like, I love my house and I'm proud of it, but the thought of just settling until I'm dead here is not an ideal for me.

Said friend still plays WoW pvp semi competitively and works the same job he did in college and it's part of the reason we don't hang out anymore.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

don't watch streamers, they exploit people and it's not a real job

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gwely Mernans posted:

I find the idea of a "forever game" kind of existentially terrifying in its hollowness.

I had a friend who when looking for a house at ~30 constantly talked about looking for his "forever home" and it irked me in the same way. Like, I love my house and I'm proud of it, but the thought of just settling until I'm dead here is not an ideal for me.

Na gently caress that moving sucks balls.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You should be at peace with your mortality by the time you hit 40 because that's how you get midlife crisis

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

don't watch streamers, they exploit people and it's not a real job

I'm sorry but let's see you play video games in a hot tub. Wait they don't do that? It's just one or the other? gently caress STREAMERS ARE LAME!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The dumbest part about Borderlands is not just that they have colour graded loot,.where better colour means more like, uh, perks or whatever. That'd be tolerable, fine I guess. Nah, the colour also inherently upgrades the base stats of a weapon. So very quickly it becomes clear that if it ain't like a purple it ain't poo poo. Some of the most popular mod downloads are just... Removing everything that isn't blue and above. That's half the weapons in the game. That's insane, and what's worse is it improves the experience immensely.

Like, if you had to deal with the difference between a green or purple gun being "purple has better zoom, and reloads quicker" but all other things being equal the green could have generally nicer stats that'd be a tolerable experience. But literally half the content in the game is the definition of filler and just... Why?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Except for borderlands 1, which bucks the trend in that genre of diablo loot nonsense by having a gear system so broken a generic green item 10 levels beneath you can be your strongest weapon by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the problem you're describing was real in borderlands 1. but the point of garbage loot, at least in the later games, was because enemy hp scaled up logarithmically per level.

in the first game, you could dump 99% of the loot and a good purple could carry you the entire game, because at a given enemy would have say 30hp at level 1, 2500hp at level 30, and maybe approaching 10,000 at the dlc levels, above 60. so a really good purple sniper rifle you found at 15 or 16 would still be doing fairly significant damage even to a 67th level enemy.

but in the following games: trash mob-class enemies will have 30hp at lv1, 300 by 10, 3000 by 20, and literally millions of hp by the end of the game. weapon power also scales up at this rate, so a lv1 gun will do 30 damage a shot, and a lv10 gun will do 300. you "shouldn't" get good rares that often and you "should" be replacing them with crappy commons all the time, but in practice, we get attached to our historically-good guns, and the further you go, the longer between levels and the more you use your favorites and you become reluctant to swap them out with the piece of poo poo guns you need in order to keep up with the hp scaling.

borderlands 3 kind of cuts out the middleman and showers you with guaranteed legendaries from every boss. which i guess is ok but it's exactly what you describe where everything else might as well not exist.

and the legendaries kind of suck in their own way too because their parts are too fixed to have the crazy combinations the game promises to offer.