Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

You know I’m pretty sure that readimask hasn’t manufactured any new masks in months or years, because I don’t think anyone has ever bought any, and when they ran out of the small grey masks they never got any more, but it’s frustrating because it’s the only product that really just works for getting a haircut. That has to be why the only masks they still sell are yellow, because they’re so drat ugly and embarrassing no one has bought out the remaining stock. They do have extra large grey masks for people with faces 4x as big as mine. I wish more people cared about this stuff outside the thread, there aren’t any covid safe or outdoor hair salons anywhere as far as I can tell, and any reviews or marketing that mention it are from 2020. You’d think that if 5% of the population was still being cautious about this there’d be at least one hair stylist among them per metropolitan area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I don't have a discount code, but I'm pretty sure this is the cheapest and most reliable place you can get them from now.

https://www.stauffersafety.com/Product/3m-9210-n95-mask-aura-particulate-respirator-713593

thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

if you don’t mind looking silly, Blox duckbills are N95 and I find them more comfortable than the Auras. also, they are dirt cheap now.

https://bloxdirect.com/products/blox-n95?variant=41171140575388

I actually have a ton of vflex duckbills already, but at least the package I have open (I bought a ton of those super bulk discounts awhile back but havent opened cuz they're for ~community~) has a defect(?) with the metal nose bar getting warped really fast, like within a potential day of use depending on how much don/doffing one does. The auras with the felt nose pieces seem much more resistant to that sort of thing and last way longer if you're regularly taking the mask on/off

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Death of Innocence posted:

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

bro I haven’t had a haircut in 4 years

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have worn ear-strap masks and been the first customer when they open a few times, but mostly cut my own hair

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I shave my head.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

grew my hair out, but yeah have those adhesive readymasks if I wanted a nice cut

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

BusError posted:

I'm sure the answer is "ehh probably helps a little, probably doesn't hurt, not really sure", but do we know anything about how Xlear brand nasal spray stacks up with the others? I'm about halfway through a bottle of Enovid and would rather replace it with something I don't have to pay a jillion dollars for and import from Israel when it gets low. I happened to notice Xlear on the shelves in Walgreens when I was there grabbing Pax, so if that stuff compares favorably to Iota Carrageenan (which I think is still hard to get as a commercial product in the USA?) that'd be sweet.

Obviously only trusting respirator still, but what can I say, I love spraying stuff up my nose.

Xlear has xylitol, which, as far as I know, is only affective against bacteria.

I'm interested in trying the iota carrageenan sprays myself, I see two brands online that have it: Betadine and ePothex. Does anyone have any insight into these brands?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

wear an earloop kn95 and just hold it in place with one side off and then switch sides, though I'm not sure how effective this is at various hair lengths

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

I wear an ear loop kf94 and if sideburns need to be trimmed I just hold the side and take off the loop. haircuts have been pretty straight forward.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
ear loop kn95 and they don't have any problems even washing the hair idk

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

icantfindaname posted:

I have worn ear-strap masks and been the first customer when they open a few times, but mostly cut my own hair

Same - the place I go to only has the one stylist when they open too, so generally no one else comes in during my appointment (though it's still happened once or twice).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Half inch on the top, quarter inch on the sides and back

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MissKeewi posted:

Xlear has xylitol, which, as far as I know, is only affective against bacteria.

I'm interested in trying the iota carrageenan sprays myself, I see two brands online that have it: Betadine and ePothex. Does anyone have any insight into these brands?

I use the betadine myself. quite comfortable and seems to even stop snoring for me!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I bought clippers and scissors in March 2020 and was fully prepared to shave my head if it came to that. Instead, Wifezwang learned how to cut my hair pretty well from a few YouTube videos :shrug:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

my spouse is shockingly good at giving haircuts. haven't been back to the barbershop since feb. 12, 2020.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m bald lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tuyop posted:

I’m bald lol

Nature's haircut.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

sullat posted:

#3 on the top, #1 on the sides and back

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
earloop kn95 and carrageenan before and after. i get my hair done every month and haven't had an issue, although the stylists seem to get sick all the time

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
August 31 UK Situational Assessment for BA.2.86. Some interesting tidbits highlighted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-23aug-01-ba286 posted:

Situational assessment for SARS-CoV-2 variant V-23AUG-01 (BA.2.86)

As of 10am, 31 August 2023, 25 BA.2.86 genome sequences are available on the international genomic data-sharing platform, GISAID. These originate in 8 different countries:

10 in Denmark
4 in Sweden
4 in USA
2 in Portugal
2 in South Africa
1 in Canada
1 in Israel
1 in UK

Two further UK cases, one in England and one in Scotland, have been identified and genome sequence data will be available on GISAID shortly. This is a dynamic situation changing daily.
(..)
A number of additional countries have also made formal or informal announcements of BA.2.86 detection in wastewater. There is no internationally consistent repository for wastewater genomic data.

Figure 1. Epicurve of BA.2.86 genome sequences on GISAID, including additional 2 new UK cases
(..)

(..)
Part 2. Variant Technical Group assessment
Meeting and assessment 29 August 2023. The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) is aware of new data since this date and continues to assess all available information.
  • Through the limited available global genomic surveillance, the variant is present in multiple countries on multiple continents, detected at a low prevalence amongst clinical cases or in wastewater. Although an increasing number of countries are reporting detection, there is as yet no clear signal of growth within any of these individual countries.
  • The BA.2.86 phylogeny shows one sublineage within which most European cases are located but does not otherwise have a high degree of substructure. The time of most recent common ancestor (tMRCA) is estimated at 3 June (range 29 April, 1 July) assuming exponential growth.
  • BA.2.86 is an outlier in terms of geographic dispersion when compared to other nodes in the SARS-CoV-2 global phylogeny in 2023 with similar tMRCA and which are still circulating. However, it is not the most extreme outlier. This analysis does not incorporate countries detecting BA.2.86 through wastewater.
  • The group considered hypotheses of a mass gathering event seeding multiple countries, an ongoing outbreak in a country without surveillance, or widespread community transmission undetected by surveillance. All 3 possibilities were still considered plausible, though widespread high-level community transmission is not best supported by the phylogeny.
  • No conclusions can be drawn about the fitness of the variant based on this data, and a full range of options – from less fit than other circulating variants, to a large jump in fitness – are still possible, given the available data.
  • There is no laboratory data available. Two samples are in culture in the UK and we are also in contact with international partners. Neutralisation and other phenotypic data is still likely to be one to 2 weeks away at minimum in the UK.
  • The extant UKHSA variant of concern definition requires us to demonstrate (or confidently predict) a detrimental change in biological properties, as well as a growth rate compatible with displacement or maintenance. At present there are a wide range of possibilities for the fitness and growth of the variant and there remains uncertainty about the impact of the mutations present. BA.2.86 does not, therefore, meet this definition of a variant of concern. The Variant Technical Group discussed whether the current surveillance context required an updated approach to designating and acting on variants. However, any such updated definition of a variant of concern would include a higher level of confidence on positive growth than is available at present for BA.2.86.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.insider.com/covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-variants-nursing-homes-outbreak-new-jersey-2023-9 posted:

Nursing homes in New Jersey battle COVID-19 surge as hospitalizations and deaths caused by new variants jump across the US
  • New Jersey's nursing homes are battling COVID-19 once again as new variants spread through the US.
  • One in every four facilities has reported an outbreak over the past week, according to state data.
  • The surge comes with both hospitalizations and deaths from the virus steadily rising.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/KashPrime/status/1697850562476179883

:thunk:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
doesn't the virus know COVID is OVER

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

covid not respecting our summer truce, SAD!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I go to an appt only barber in a solo shop where the door is open in most weather and fans are running. Barber in a KF/KN95 or surgical and me in my N95 that I earloop hacked. Barber lifts the loops out of the way the short amount of time needed whilst mostly maintaining the tension for a seal. I also now use the iota carrageenan spray pre and post.

Up until last winter I had my haircut at home.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

if you don’t mind looking silly, Blox duckbills are N95 and I find them more comfortable than the Auras. also, they are dirt cheap now.

https://bloxdirect.com/products/blox-n95?variant=41171140575388
thanks for this, picking up a box to see how they compare to auras before i do another huge mask buy

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tzen posted:

thanks for this, picking up a box to see how they compare to auras before i do another huge mask buy

I personally find them far more comfortable- I hope you do as well.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

since 2020 i've
-used readimasks
-duct taped auras to my face <- this was by far the most enjoyable experience just because the barber was like bro wtf you takin this poo poo seriously you fuckin taped your mask to your face what the good poo poo man yeahh
-held the mask in place
-gone very long times between haircuts
-had my spouse cut my hair
all have worked out great

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

been cutting it myself for about 15 years, highly recommend

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

cenotaph posted:

I shave my head.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

reading the NYC thread the big EZoo debacle is mainly because the lovely PE company that owns them can't pay any of the vendors lol

obviously the "supply chain issues" thing was a bald-faced lie, just a lie in a different direction this time.

From what I've heard through the stagehand grapevine it really sounds like this one died of a thousand cuts

Contributing factors I've seen (all secondhand, mind you):

-New production company fired a ton of people involved in the festival in the past, losing existing knowledge that's essential for getting things done in time
-Said production company also has a history of stiffing rental vendors so this year vendors were refusing to drop off gear until paid in full up front, which is extremely unusual for productions of this magnitude
-Ever-present staffing shortages that continue to plague the events industry
-Proper permits weren't approved in time
-City safety inspections found violations numerous times, causing work to stop each time
-Timeline given for setting up the stage would've been tight even without the delays, and more or less impossible with the delays

This wasn't quite a Fyre Festival level of mismanagement and planning fuckup, but it's still a pretty drat impressive failure

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Tzen posted:

since 2020 i've
-used readimasks
-duct taped auras to my face <- this was by far the most enjoyable experience just because the barber was like bro wtf you takin this poo poo seriously you fuckin taped your mask to your face what the good poo poo man yeahh
-held the mask in place
-gone very long times between haircuts
-had my spouse cut my hair
all have worked out great

i like this barber

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Psycho Society posted:

i like this barber
this was how he handled early 2020,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I have long hair so once I found a good earloop mask I just used one of those. That said the salon I go to is mask friendly and about half of the people in there are masked when I go. Plus easily obtainable iota-carrageenan in Canada.

I did tape a mask on my face but I did use medical tape and put a little effort into not making it look like poo poo in other circumstances. Duct tape seems harsh on the skin.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's weekly wastewater update, cobbled together from the state's downloadable excel report and supplemented with scaled National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) data when available. Solid lines are from WADoH data and white diamond dots applied to scale are from most recent CDC/NWSS data (if available).

I've distributed 31 sewersheds across 5 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. See the tables below each image for definitions of WADoH IDs, Date last sampled, Trend (based on change between the averages of the two most recent weeks measured), and Service Area for city names/regions.

The Coupeville wastewater treatment plant from Island county is a new addition to the state's data file, however it doesn't yet show up on their dashboard so I don't know what the ID is and I'm not entirely sure of what its service area covers, which is why it has question marks.

Northwest Washington

pre:
Northwest Washington
County:		ID:	Date:	Trend:	Service Area:
Island		OH	Aug-25	DOWN	Oak Harbor
Island		???	Aug-18	UP	Coupeville?
Jefferson	PT	Aug-23	STEADY	Port Townsend
Mason		HP	Aug-20	STEADY	Rustlewood, Shelton
Whatcom		LYN	Aug-24	DOWN	Lynden
King + Snohomish

pre:
King + Snohomish
King		BWT	Aug-27	DOWN	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	Aug-27	UP	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	Aug-27	UP	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	Aug-07	STEADY	Lynnwood
Snohomish	ARL	Aug-29	UP	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	Aug-27	STEADY	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	Aug-27	STEADY	Stanwood
Southwest Washington

pre:
Southwest Washington
Clark		MRPK	Aug-28	STEADY	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK	Aug-28	UP	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	Aug-28	DOWN	Vancouver Westside
Pierce		CC	Aug-25	DOWN	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	Aug-24	UP	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	Aug-23	UP	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Thurston	NISQ	Aug-17	UP	Nisqually
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		KEN	Aug-07	STEADY	Kennewick
Benton		WRCH	Aug-24	UP	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	Aug-24	DOWN	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	Aug-23	UP	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	Aug-24	UP	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	Aug-17	STEADY	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	Aug-24	UP	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	Aug-25	DOWN	Pasco
Spokane		RP	Aug-25	STEADY	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	Aug-25	DOWN	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	Aug-24	DOWN	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	Aug-25	UP	Pullman
Full set of images linked here: https://imgur.com/a/YxUMwqj

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tzen posted:

this was how he handled early 2020,

he has the tools :allears:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My wife cuts my hair, and I cut hers

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
They say it's ebola run amok out at burning man.

I'm willing to go ahead and say it's probably not ebola. Might be that other hemorrhagic fever that came from Europe on that flight to Boston a few months ago, but probably not ebola proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

They say it's ebola run amok out at burning man.

I'm willing to go ahead and say it's probably not ebola. Might be that other hemorrhagic fever that came from Europe on that flight to Boston a few months ago, but probably not ebola proper.

thats a joke op, though :eye: