Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm less decided on the morality of it all. Zojja's journal implies the island-fractals in Skywatch already existed in the Mists (as fractals) and were yanked out into Tyria to observe as long-term experiments. I don't quite understand how misery in the Mists is somehow less valuable than misery in Tyria, but then I'm also morally A-OK with the Prime Directive in Star Trek. Zojja does draw a distinction between the two, claiming the fractals in the Mists are "not real" and the people in there are somehow less than sentient, but there's zero evidence that actually supports that conclusion (in fact there are counter-examples in the Mists spirits Revenants call on which seem fully sentient).

At the same time I kind of suspect we'll find out the Kryptis are only a threat to Tyria due to the actions of the Wizards - either because they're sugar ants and the Wizard's experiments are big heaping piles of sugar, or because they're super attracted to Isgarren's personal misery because ArenaNet can't seem to pull away from character-driven melodrama. Then he'll either sacrifice himself Christ-/Trahearne-style or become a strike boss.

boho fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The aetherblades murdered their way through fractal versions of themselves in the mists and those definitely were real people iirc.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
If they weren't real people, they were real enough to gently caress most of them up emotionally.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Trying to get back into this game after not playing since launch. The monetization of the expansions is a mess and, boy, is $125 a steep price tag to get up to speed. I think I'm going to play through LW1 and then hold out for a better bundle or sale. I was tempted to buy SOTO now to get a mount, since it's not likely to go on sale anytime soon, but it's not clear that would be much benefit over any of the other expansions.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
$125 for 400+ hours of content isn't all that bad. :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gw2 is definitely on the higher side of fun times per $ spent

also, i don't feel like playing at all lately and resubbed ff14 instead of buying soto, but i know that whenever i feel like going back, my character is still going to be working fine and won't need a bunch of stupid gear upgrades and be able to go into new content immediately

wish other mmos learnt from that, tbh

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’d wait for the older expacs to go on sale again

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

So I just installed this game again after buying it at launch, playing for one weekend, and then forgetting about it for ten years. My highest character is level 19. Am I going to miss out on anything during the next couple dozen hours of gameplay not having any of the expansions? I assume I'm just going to be running along the wilderness and smashing things with a big hammer or maybe setting them on fire, which seems entertaining enough so far, but I'm not sure how long I'll stick around for.

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

Vanadium posted:

So I just installed this game again after buying it at launch, playing for one weekend, and then forgetting about it for ten years. My highest character is level 19. Am I going to miss out on anything during the next couple dozen hours of gameplay not having any of the expansions? I assume I'm just going to be running along the wilderness and smashing things with a big hammer or maybe setting them on fire, which seems entertaining enough so far, but I'm not sure how long I'll stick around for.

You won't miss out on anything. I think a raptor mount is available for a trial period until you get to level 10(?) so you might want to start a new character and try it out.

*edit*
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raptor#New_Player_Experience

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Somec posted:

You won't miss out on anything. I think a raptor mount is available for a trial period until you get to level 10(?) so you might want to start a new character and try it out.

*edit*
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raptor#New_Player_Experience

Yeah, they gave me a raptor and say they're taking it away again in ten hours, so I've been trying not to get too attached to the little guy. :(

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Does anyone else find it weird whenever they have NPC's run meta events on repeat that end up killed off in the story? are the areas just supposed to be frozen in time? but what about when future story steps send you back into that area and you are just supposed to ignore the future-dead NPC just around the corner?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does anyone else find it weird whenever they have NPC's run meta events on repeat that end up killed off in the story? are the areas just supposed to be frozen in time? but what about when future story steps send you back into that area and you are just supposed to ignore the future-dead NPC just around the corner?

chronomancers wizards did it

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

At least those NPCs have only died once. How many times has the Commander been killed now?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Deformed Church posted:

At least those NPCs have only died once. How many times has the Commander been killed now?

It's a proud tradition for those NPC's to watch me brute force some massively overtuned story boss by checkpointing 20 times.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

Use /deaths to find out!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Guest2553 posted:

Use /deaths to find out!

That's just one commander! There are millions more to tot up before we can work out whether my immersion has been ruined or not.

We'll need a spreadsheet to keep track.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

Storywise - once when blathazaar killed you.

gameplaywise - yeah /qq is muscle memory now, and that is only a fraction of the "i thought i could take them"

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Mesmer has been my main since GW1, but lately it’s been feeling uninspired. Most of that is my fault as I have been running one of Condi Virtuoso or Condi Staff Alac builds… since EoD release.

So I swapped to my elementalist and dug up a full set of celestial gear (all the accessories are ascended! dunno how I had those lying around). This… is so much fun!!! It’s really mixing things up and scratching that itch for me.

I know ele has gotten poo poo for requiring extra effort to survive and deal damage to the same caliber as other classes, but I’m kinda into that right now. The build I’m playing right now is a simple dagger / WH celestial tempest build - primarily swapping between fire and earth to build stacks of burning and bleed while maintaining full might stacks and occasionally proccing alac.

I’m gonna stick with ele for the time being. I’m already wrapping up the SotO story. I will need to go back and figure out what needs to be done to unlock my jade bot cores from EoD for things like zip line and bot heal from downed. Eventually.

Anyway, if anyone else has ele builds they are using that are worth trying please let me know!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kung fu jive posted:

Mesmer has been my main since GW1, but lately it’s been feeling uninspired. Most of that is my fault as I have been running one of Condi Virtuoso or Condi Staff Alac builds… since EoD release.

So I swapped to my elementalist and dug up a full set of celestial gear (all the accessories are ascended! dunno how I had those lying around). This… is so much fun!!! It’s really mixing things up and scratching that itch for me.

I know ele has gotten poo poo for requiring extra effort to survive and deal damage to the same caliber as other classes, but I’m kinda into that right now. The build I’m playing right now is a simple dagger / WH celestial tempest build - primarily swapping between fire and earth to build stacks of burning and bleed while maintaining full might stacks and occasionally proccing alac.

I’m gonna stick with ele for the time being. I’m already wrapping up the SotO story. I will need to go back and figure out what needs to be done to unlock my jade bot cores from EoD for things like zip line and bot heal from downed. Eventually.

Anyway, if anyone else has ele builds they are using that are worth trying please let me know!

if you still want to play your mesmer some give chrono a shot, it's my favorite boon dps specs in the game and it's been ascendant again for a while. it's a little demanding but the extent of that is a little overblown, you pretty much just smash your keyboard during continuum shift and have a pretty normal rotation outside of it with obvious priorities.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

if you still want to play your mesmer some give chrono a shot, it's my favorite boon dps specs in the game and it's been ascendant again for a while. it's a little demanding but the extent of that is a little overblown, you pretty much just smash your keyboard during continuum shift and have a pretty normal rotation outside of it with obvious priorities.

I’ll give it a look. I’ve never played Chrono! And I like piano player builds so demanding is fine by me, even though you said it’s overblown. One of the things I liked about virtuoso is the rotation is really more of a list of priorities than a hard-set rotation, but that build is extremely easy to play and puts me to sleep. The Condi alac staff build is a lot more demanding and I love it, but I’ve just played too drat much of it.

drat I love Mesmer haha. I also have been meaning to check out sPVP and WvW again - both modes I used to play a lot on my Mesmer and Ele in core / HoT times. That might breathe some life into the class for me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was also getting tired of Mesmer but Chrono is really fun. You just poo poo out Alacrity so everything feels really peppy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Don't forget to try out Weaver. It's very John loving Madden but also very fun

No idea on catalyst lol

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
From what i understand the rewards in the wizards vault rotate monthly, but old rewards gets put into an archive and will always be available.
Is this also true for the legendary starter box? The one currently in the rotation has Quip, which i really want, but i do not have time to play the game at the moment.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

kung fu jive posted:

I've been having a blast with hammer weaver. In 11 years, this is the most I've felt like a proper destructive force. I'm tearing through normal mobs and veterans like paper.

Here's my build

It can hold its own as is, but it really kicks into overdrive with the jade bot offensive/defensive buffs. It's not too much of a hassle for me to stack 2 hours of each every now and then, but it does mean I can no longer port to Mistlock Sanctuary willy nilly. But to me, it's totally worth the effort.

https://i.imgur.com/28iWZh3.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/SwiMtIw.mp4

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tell me more about your gear though

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

Tell me more about your gear though

The link to my build has it in the equipment tab.

But essentially the stats are half berserker (armor) and half diviner (weapon/trinkets). Pieces can be tweaked to preference, and including swapping in celestial for more survivability at marginal cost. I've also experimented with grieving and more condi heavy rotations with decent results.

Runes of the Pack are my go-to, but other boon duration sets can work (notably Zephyrite, Fireworks, and Leadership). Sigils are Concentration and Force. For the relic, Fireworks is a no-brainer.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ineptitude posted:

From what i understand the rewards in the wizards vault rotate monthly, but old rewards gets put into an archive and will always be available.
Is this also true for the legendary starter box? The one currently in the rotation has Quip, which i really want, but i do not have time to play the game at the moment.

Not sure if we know the exact cycle, I would bet it rotates every quarter.
Yes, nothing will ever be permanently locked away, it'll just get a little more expensive with time.

The Legendary starter kit is hands-down the best value out there. I went from no leggies to having Bifrost in a couple days. Only took that long because I was missing a Gift of Battle.

That poo poo is so loving choice.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think the rotation is quarterly with each release?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Meowywitch posted:

Don't forget to try out Weaver. It's very John loving Madden but also very fun

No idea on catalyst lol

I have heard weaver is very high skill floor. I will check it out.

gandlethorpe posted:

I've been having a blast with hammer weaver. In 11 years, this is the most I've felt like a proper destructive force. I'm tearing through normal mobs and veterans like paper.

Here's my build

It can hold its own as is, but it really kicks into overdrive with the jade bot offensive/defensive buffs. It's not too much of a hassle for me to stack 2 hours of each every now and then, but it does mean I can no longer port to Mistlock Sanctuary willy nilly. But to me, it's totally worth the effort.

https://i.imgur.com/28iWZh3.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/SwiMtIw.mp4

This looks sick! Thanks for posting the build too. I am definitely going to give this a go. I have to unlock hammer though. Time to run a HoT HP train on this character.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

kung fu jive posted:

I have heard weaver is very high skill floor. I will check it out.

This looks sick! Thanks for posting the build too. I am definitely going to give this a go. I have to unlock hammer though. Time to run a HoT HP train on this character.

The nice thing about hammer weaver is that it has fewer skills to keep track of, since none of the fully attuned 3 skills are important. I only fully attune for the damage buff, and that's a matter of just double air attuning every now and then. The rotation is more about cycling through the low cooldown 2 skills, staggering the 4/5 skills to maintain Fireworks relic buff, and knowing when to summon/release orbs. Jade buffs are great for smoothing out the rotation with quickness/alacrity, on top of the insane damage boost.

It has the spirit of a typical elementalist build, with all the buttons to press, but feels forgiving with the quick turnaround time of skills. I don't thing I'm playing as perfectly as I could, but I'm quite happy with my output. It's nice to feel powerful while knowing there's room to grow.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

gandlethorpe posted:

The nice thing about hammer weaver is that it has fewer skills to keep track of, since none of the fully attuned 3 skills are important. I only fully attune for the damage buff, and that's a matter of just double air attuning every now and then. The rotation is more about cycling through the low cooldown 2 skills, staggering the 4/5 skills to maintain Fireworks relic buff, and knowing when to summon/release orbs. Jade buffs are great for smoothing out the rotation with quickness/alacrity, on top of the insane damage boost.

It has the spirit of a typical elementalist build, with all the buttons to press, but feels forgiving with the quick turnaround time of skills. I don't thing I'm playing as perfectly as I could, but I'm quite happy with my output. It's nice to feel powerful while knowing there's room to grow.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I just unlocked the hammer and I’m putting together the gear.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Okay, so they took my Raptor away again but on the other hand my tree person elementalist has a small pile of hero points now. I understand I'll get enough hero points for everything eventually, so do I just yolo it and put them all into idk fire until that's full while leveling? I don't really understand if there's a conceptual difference between conjuring, glyph, signet, cantrip and arcane, but it's probably not that important for now, right?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Vanadium posted:

Okay, so they took my Raptor away again but on the other hand my tree person elementalist has a small pile of hero points now. I understand I'll get enough hero points for everything eventually, so do I just yolo it and put them all into idk fire until that's full while leveling? I don't really understand if there's a conceptual difference between conjuring, glyph, signet, cantrip and arcane, but it's probably not that important for now, right?

Just throw those hero points around wherever. Like you said, you'll fill them all out eventually.

The skill types will correspond to what utilities you use but it's not going to be too important until you hit 80. Focus on what you think seems fun and if it turns out not to be, pivot to something else! The game changes dramatically at 80 when you access the Elite specializations.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

The deldrimor dwarves' TINY raptors!
edit: i found a korok puzzle but didnt get the korok :(

Tambaloneus fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 4, 2023

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
So I spent most of my remaining tomes of knowledge to boost a Rev to 80 and mashed through PoF to unlock Herald. Got a semi-solid plan to have it equipped wit Cele, Tormenting runes and Torment sigil just in time for Net to take Rev behind the shed and shoot it in next weekend's balance patch.

Edit: in all seriousness, I could live with the somewhat wild balancing decisions if they actually stuck to what Grouch promised in the aftermath of the Solar situation regarding communicating their plans and ideas for balance patches well in advance to have sufficient time to react on strong community feedback.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 4, 2023

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well, they are doing that. More than they ever have in the past, anyway.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sharing this from reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/169cpxn/heres_my_version_of_skeletor_nyahahahaha/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's rad. There's not enough cosplay in-game. I've seen a few convincing Sailor Moons and one really good Dr. Strange.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

once i saw a matching pair of Optimus Prime and Megatron norns in Eye of the North

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
The cosplays I see most are usually various Spidermens or Charr Winnie the Pooh. Been seeing a lot more with the spec ops pieces from EOD lately; Doom Slayers etc.