Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1697576315132510565

fractions and exponents are pretty basic i would've expected people to already know by college :psyduck:

well the start of the problem is that kids aren't being taught how to read (there's also a podcast about that problem if you want something to depress you while commuting or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Complications posted:

well the start of the problem is that kids aren't being taught how to read (there's also a podcast about that problem if you want something to depress you while commuting or whatever)

the massive switch to audio/video content in the u.s. makes a lot more sense when you realize half the people around you are functionally illiterate

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
when I was in aircraft mechanic school years back one of our instructors decided to try to do the thing where you go around the classroom each reading a section of the reading assignment out loud, and he eventually got frustrated and stopped because a substantial portion of the class was having real serious difficulty reading the textbooks

this was an adult class at a technical college where the youngest student was in his mid-20s and most of us were in our late 20s or 30s

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The most dangerous thing communists did was teaching people to read.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mister Bates posted:

when I was in aircraft mechanic school years back one of our instructors decided to try to do the thing where you go around the classroom each reading a section of the reading assignment out loud, and he eventually got frustrated and stopped because a substantial portion of the class was having real serious difficulty reading the textbooks

this was an adult class at a technical college where the youngest student was in his mid-20s and most of us were in our late 20s or 30s

so...worse than a chinese 6 year old?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

fractions and exponents are pretty basic i would've expected people to already know by college :psyduck:

Late stage empire lack of competency crisis stuff.

When you aren't a meritocracy and select for traits other than intelligence its just a race downhill.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Danann posted:

quote:

For Jessica Babcock, a Temple University math professor, the magnitude of the problem hit home last year as she graded quizzes in her intermediate algebra class, the lowest option for STEM majors. The quiz, a softball at the start of the fall semester, asked students to subtract eight from negative six.

“I graded a whole bunch of papers in a row. No two papers had the same answer, and none of them were correct,” she said. “It was a striking moment of, like, wow — this is significant and deep.”
uhh what the gently caress

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as i recall i learned about negative numbers and how they work sometime in like sixth grade or something thereabouts

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i have vague memories of it in year 3 but I could be mistaken.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i was gonna say that i sure as hell don't want to drive over a bridge designed by an engineer who doesn't understand negative numbers, but luckily bridge-building is lostech in america so no worries

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

crepeface posted:

uhh what the gently caress

oh lol are you all just now finding out how bad the education system has collapsed

these professors should be happy because the cohorts who missed three years of elementary/middle school are going to be even worse when they finally get passed up into colleges

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh lol are you all just now finding out how bad the education system has collapsed

these professors should be happy because the cohorts who missed three years of elementary/middle school are going to be even worse when they finally get passed up into colleges

Who missed three years of education?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

should have said two years, but everyone in a non-rich rear end school between the 2019-2020 and 2021-2022 school years

e: it’s funny that the article tries to make this a pandemic only problem instead of a problem that the pandemic threw a mountain of gasoline on and then followed up with a lit match

quote:

Before the pandemic, about 800 students per semester were placed into that class, the equivalent of ninth grade math. By 2021, it swelled to nearly 1,400.

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Sep 3, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can fix western college students. I'll just make the basic undergraduate degree take 15 years and they'll learn all the K-12 stuff they weren't learning in the first place, finished up with a basic 3 year degree in classical underwater basketweaving dance theory.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oneiros posted:

the massive switch to audio/video content in the u.s. makes a lot more sense when you realize half the people around you are functionally illiterate

I habitually refer to books, and draw blank stares even for things like Robinson Crusoe or Beau Geste. It drives me a little crazy tbh.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Never heard of that one

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

Never heard of that one

By Wren? It's where the modern image of the Foreign Legion comes from, as well as a lot of contemporary adventure storytelling of the romance of the sands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXNdG39CLDg

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

By Wren? It's where the modern image of the Foreign Legion comes from, as well as a lot of contemporary adventure storytelling of the romance of the sands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXNdG39CLDg

:shrug:
Guess it didn't get that much play outside the English and or French sphere.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Danann posted:

it's elementary -> middle school math - fractions are taught in 3rd grade and exponents in 8th grade in common core.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The US won't even know they're losing WW3 if they can't count past two

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

also says a lot about colleges themselves if they're lowering admissions standards that much just so they can extract some more wealth from tuition

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

yellowcar posted:

also says a lot about colleges themselves if they're lowering admissions standards that much just so they can extract some more wealth from tuition

They admit based on high school grades, sports and extracurriculars, or at least RMC does.

If the schools are juking the stats, there's no way to know until the illiterates are first year cadets.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

I habitually refer to books, and draw blank stares even for things like Robinson Crusoe or Beau Geste. It drives me a little crazy tbh.

you can tell the youfs that robinson crusoe was the original minecraft survival guy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

They admit based on high school grades, sports and extracurriculars, or at least RMC does.

If the schools are juking the stats, there's no way to know until the illiterates are first year cadets.

there was the SAT, terribly flawed as it was, but that got shitcanned during the pandemic

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

If they don't make money, a college doesn't need to exist.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Grade inflation is everywhere and it's profitable to keep even the lowest performing failures in the billable education system long as possible. Fail someone? That's lost revenue. Just pass them. Graduate them. Now it's someone else's problem.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Militaries don’t need independent competent officers, McKinsey will tell what to do via a tablet app.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

gradenko_2000 posted:

The US won't even know they're losing WW3 if they can't count past two

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The issue is going to be some dead man’s switch from the 70s.

Also, I think the full effect of NCLB, Common Core, and COVID have all finally piled on top of each other.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:56 on Sep 4, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Militaries don’t need independent competent officers, McKinsey will tell what to do via a tablet app.

Battle plan via random number generator.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

The issue is going to be some dead man’s switch from the 70s.

Don't worry when they try to fire the doomsday nukes by mistake all the rubber seals and stuff will have long perished, leading to catastrophic failure within the silos. All this assumes the doomsday computer relays aren't simply rusted solid.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

I don't want to be Joe Sport, but varsity sports are mandatory at RMC. It's not at the level of Army or Navy in the States where those are NCAA D I schools, but people still wanted to get into RMC on athletics. Programs were all over the place because it was mandatory, so while Western and Queens obliterated them, free school for being in the top X% of national high school athletes isn't bad.

I realize there weren't sports in the 2020-21 season but it's not just grades that were inflated. There are starters playing for the academy that don't look like they've ever seen a ball before. The other universities aren't much better. Which is neither here nor there, but people are still getting admitted on the basis of athletics so the quality of play is wild.

If the same thing happened with grades and extracurriculars, kids should have just applied to the Ivies, Oxford and Cambridge.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't want to be Joe Sport,

This sentence fragment makes you sound 70 years old

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/while-under-us-sanctions-where-093000662.html

While under US sanctions, where did Huawei get the advanced chips for its latest Mate 60 Pro smartphone?

But mah sanctions...

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Complications posted:

the article touches on how teachers don't like teaching phonics, but doesn't mention how English has uniquely hard to teach phonics

quote:

Foundation literacy acquisition in European orthographies
Philip H K Seymour 1, Mikko Aro, Jane M Erskine
Affiliations expand
PMID: 12803812 DOI: 10.1348/000712603321661859
Abstract
Several previous studies have suggested that basic decoding skills may develop less effectively in English than in some other European orthographies. The origins of this effect in the early (foundation) phase of reading acquisition are investigated through assessments of letter knowledge, familiar word reading, and simple nonword reading in English and 12 other orthographies. The results confirm that children from a majority of European countries become accurate and fluent in foundation level reading before the end of the first school year. There are some exceptions, notably in French, Portuguese, Danish, and, particularly, in English. The effects appear not to be attributable to differences in age of starting or letter knowledge. It is argued that fundamental linguistic differences in syllabic complexity and orthographic depth are responsible. Syllabic complexity selectively affects decoding, whereas orthographic depth affects both word reading and nonword reading. The rate of development in English is more than twice as slow as in the shallow orthographies. It is hypothesized that the deeper orthographies induce the implementation of a dual (logographic + alphabetic) foundation which takes more than twice as long to establish as the single foundation required for the learning of a shallow orthography.
https://bpspsychub.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1348/000712603321661859

quote:

Due to the complexity of English spelling and syllable structures, it simply takes longer for children to develop accurate reading of words in English than in other languages. For comparison, consider a study of European orthographies (studied languages are listed in Figure 1). While students of all languages demonstrated understanding of letter-sound correspondences (above 90% accuracy) after one year of schooling, Seymour and colleagues (2003) estimated that it takes 2.5 years longer for learners of English to master reading familiar words and simple pseudo-words than for students learning transparent and neutral languages. Indeed, at the end of grade 1, the percentage of word reading errors in European countries demonstrates the dramatic effects of language transparency/opacity: Germany (3%), Italy (5%), Spain (6%), France (28%), Denmark (29%), and England (67%). It is no wonder that much of the focus and contemporary research on dyslexia has been conducted in the U.S., Great Britain, and Denmark.
https://www.readnaturally.com/about-us/blog/exploring-dyslexias-disproportionate-impact-on-learning-english

The solution to teaching americans to read obviously won't be spelling reform, in part because the US has neither the state capacity nor the political stability to implement spelling reform.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
English hard teach? unpossible!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Man is Hooked on Phonics, losttech in America too? gently caress

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Went down the Ken Goodman rabbit hole because that "dyslexia doesn't exist" quote was wild. Apparently the Monthly Review has taken a side in the new phonics wars

https://monthlyreview.org/2014/09/01/the-political-economy-of-dyslexia/

quote:

Corporate America got scared in the latter part of the twentieth century. As they themselves understood, they were losing hegemony in the global capitalist marketplace. (That translates into: the empire was falling apart). Recessions began to occur. Their profits were in danger. They had to act fast. They needed a plan. They went to their think tanks. The think tanks advised them to retool the U.S. labor force completely, and to use the public schools to do this. They needed a whole new generation of workers, trained to enable winnable competition in the global, high-tech, digital economy. They needed workers skilled in information processing—knowledge workers, engineers. One such skill involves reading software and hardware manuals, and composing new ones.

But teachers and educators had long before recognized that new research about reading for meaning could explain what they were observing with their children. Phonics was becoming less and less the vogue. The newer understandings of reading also promoted self-selection of reading materials by the children, itself an inherently democratic act, for the very simple reason that it is harder to focus on meaning if you are not interested in the topic. In other words, teachers were adopting a paradigm of literacy which recognized the fundamental importance of meaning-centered curriculum and democratically run classrooms.

The corporate execs of the Business Roundtable and similar outfits had a problem on their hands. Freely chosen meaning and true democracy in the classroom threatened their plans to hijack public education. They had to get rid of the existing classroom paradigm, install a new one, and retool the curriculum. When practiced on a larger scale, we call this “regime change.” And that is precisely what they did. They came up with a plan. And they had both major parties in their hip pocket. In 2000, the Republican President George Bush said, “Phonics needs to be an integral part of our reading curriculum; intensive reading laboratories; teacher retraining.” And in 2005, Democratic President Barack Obama said, “We’ll have to reform institutions, like our public schools, that were designed for an earlier time.”14

So Bush’s No Child Left Beyond evolved into Obama’s Race to the Top, both effectively consummating the handover of the public schools to the corporate agenda. This agenda referred to public schools as “workforce development systems.” It conceived of public schools as factories that manufacture workers with a certain set of labor skills. They call these “21st century literacy skills.” The emphasis is on digital literacy. Only mathematics and a certain type of reading are important in the new curriculum. This new type of reading is reading for information, reading to compute, reading in the world of software and hardware. “Read, write, and compute” is the new mantra.

The pro-phonics push is part of a regime change operation.

I'm not sure about the whole thing but I appreciate bringing in a class analysis. The US ruling class is taking an interest in literacy education because the empire is falling apart.

Goodman did draw from Chomsky though, and it would be very funny to think that destroying phonics education was part of a decades long conspiracy to destroy US imperialism.

the obituary Education Week did on Goodman seemed pretty balanced.
https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/kenneth-s-goodman-founding-father-of-whole-language-dead-at-92/2020/05

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Sep 4, 2023

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

ðə ɪŋglɪʃ læŋgwədʒ ɪz stupədli ænd hæphæzərdli spɛld aj əsum du tu drəŋkən ænd ɪnkampətənt sæksən ɔr nɔrmən məŋks ril læŋgwədʒəz ar spɛld æz rɪtən ænd ɪt ɪz tajm fɔr ɪŋglɪʃ tu dʒɔjn madərnəti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Punished Turtle posted:

ðə ɪŋglɪʃ læŋgwədʒ ɪz stupədli ænd hæphæzərdli spɛld aj əsum du tu drəŋkən ænd ɪnkampətənt sæksən ɔr nɔrmən məŋks ril læŋgwədʒəz ar spɛld æz rɪtən ænd ɪt ɪz tajm fɔr ɪŋglɪʃ tu dʒɔjn madərnəti

i wouldnt blame the monks, there were hundreds of years after monks stopped being an important academic institution where it could have been reformed