Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gamera is so cool lol, Godzilla would have just let Gyaos slice those people in half with its lazer breath but he chose to shield them instead. The fireballs also blowing the poo poo out of the Gyaos ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Gamera is so cool lol, Godzilla would have just let Gyaos slice those people in half with its lazer breath but he chose to shield them instead. The fireballs also blowing the poo poo out of the Gyaos ruled.

Gamera is the friend to all children

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The SFX director apparently also Co-Directed ShinGoji and ShinUltra which rules

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

aaaaaaaaaah the french... movie...
the first half and the chase across the metro scene near the end were epic, but as the movie kept going, i realized that it was impossible for it to find a way of having a satisfying conclusion. sure enough, not only is it a boring ending, its retarded as hell too.
i wish they had put as much thought into the story as they put in shooting all the tense scenes

expected more, and it doesnt help that i just watched pale flower, which p0wnz the poo poo out of this
3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gamera was really neat but i feel like i'd have to watch more kaiju films to really be able to judge it. pretty much everything i could've wanted from a giant monster movie, glad it was my first. 7.5/10

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok finally watched gamera, great flick. reminded me a lot of shin godzilla, there ws a ton of focus on the nitty-gritty of how people respond to a monster attack that i really appreciated, it made it feel super grounded. gameras a great fuckin design and gyaos looks just insanely evil, heisei toho really were the masters of comin up with cool looking monsters. good final battle, great people plot overall with the adults, th psychic kid plot was kind of dumb but hell, it worked in biollante so i cn see why they tried it here. godzilla vs. biollante is still better heisei kaiju flick but this one still fuckin rules and i'm pumped for the rest of the trilogy in a couple days.

★★★

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Gamera-I was expecting a much older movie so I was surprised to see it borrowing plot elements from Jurassic Park. Other than that it just felt like every other kaiju movie I've seen. 3/5

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
watched gamera

starbarry clock posted:

it made gyaos such a heel to gently caress with the tokyo tower too culturally speaking that mustve really cemented gyaos as not just a random rampaging monster but actually evil to the japanese lol

this was great, the movie was in high gear after this

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

gamera getting knocked out of the air had me thinking of chocolate drop

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fucker posted:

aaaaaaaaaah the french... movie...
the first half and the chase across the metro scene near the end were epic, but as the movie kept going, i realized that it was impossible for it to find a way of having a satisfying conclusion. sure enough, not only is it a boring ending, its retarded as hell too.
i wish they had put as much thought into the story as they put in shooting all the tense scenes

expected more, and it doesnt help that i just watched pale flower, which p0wnz the poo poo out of this
3/5

See I thought Le Samourai was much better than pale flower. The super stylish open builds up the main character as a stoic criminal mastermind which is clearly how he sees himself, but he's living in a drab shitbox apartment and everything he does to try to recover from being witnessed during a hit just makes his situation worse. 5/5

Couldn't find it for free anywhere so I actually rented it off of amazon so this is actually my first time renting a movie in over a decade.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Couldn't find it for free anywhere so I actually rented it off of amazon so this is actually my first time renting a movie in over a decade.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I liked Gamera a lot! I hadn't seen a kaiju movie before but I loved the use of practical effects to bring the monsters to life. There was real love and craftsmanship in the puppetry/models. Very fun, goofy movie, even with the kinda ehh plot device of the girl's magatama. Flying fireball turtle ftw

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
finally sat down to watch le samourai tonight and i was a little surprised how little to do with samurai this was

its a film noir so it definitely invoked some pale flower and even shared some themes which i thought was neat

im kind of tired so maybe ill expand this post later maybe not but i feel very melancholy after watching and its kind of nice, the whole movie had a vibe to it that im glad sticks even after the credits have rolled

im going to go over some of my favorite scenes and shizz before i go to bed

i hated the bird at first but im glad it served a purpose beyond reinforcing the monotony and nothingness of his life outside of work with its constant repetitive chirping

the bird was a total bro and i hope after his owner died it was taken well care of because it increasing the frequency of its chirping when alerted when compared to how much like a metronome it is normally was the perfect clue in for jef that some poo poo was happening at his apartment a few times and it saved his bacon

i really liked the acting in this one, all the way through there are glimmers in jef that hes more than a hitman but the face he made to the bartender at the end while putting on his gloves, knowing what he was going to do next and obviously haunted about it reflected perfectly in his visage was a really beautiful moment

the pianist was really pretty and played perfectly off jef and shone brilliantly through her performance easily one of the highlights, although the detective wasnt a slouch either. everyone did really good, especially the lady he did his alibis with, but those three in particular, jef, pianist, detective, were the standout actors for me

overall a really great movie, it dipped here and there but quickly picked up any slack and brought me right back into the film i dont have any real big complaints beyond a little bit of pacing which i think was ultimately fine and allowed for a good rhythm for the downtime between action/intrigue scenes
9/10

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
gamera was badass. dont know how ill rank stuff if i do. i liked gamera a lot but its not an all time great to me. gonna try and check out the samurai

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MacheteZombie was our new picker for the week and he has chosen Hana-Bi, also known as Fireworks in some markets.

Hana-Bi - dir. by Takeshi Kitano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHpV5-pRwHU

quote:

Nishi leaves the police in the face of harrowing personal and professional difficulties. Spiraling into depression, he makes questionable decisions.

This movie will expire Sep 18

It can be streamed legally on uh these ones

or do some searching and find it yourself

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Hell yeah beat takeshi ftw

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Le Samourai was pretty solid, Valerie and Jane were great. Enjoyed them more than almost every other character.

3.5/5

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok, sittin down to watch le samourai and man this is real similar to pale flower lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
hana-bi huh

what the gently caress was this lol it seemed so scattered and disjointed

i mean this is a movie where i have some ideas of some sort of narrative but this one really confused me in a way i havent felt as lost since The Master

so like, theres an ex-detective who had a partner who got shot and was wheelchair bound and is forced to make art

and the ex-detective also takes out loans from the yakuza... because he wants to be able to pay his dying wife's hospital bills? i think?

but he seems to turn into a different person during these scenes and becomes a stone cold killer and badass

does he have some sort of dissociation disorder? i noticed something is a little off about him because his eye twitches constantly and he seems to be traumatized

and apparently his daughter died but his wife is alive but dying

but then at the end his daughter is alive? and his wife is still kicking? and he gets arrested or he shoots the detectives or he shoots his wife and himself

and it was snowing heavily the scene before where the yakuza people were shot in the car but now its bright and sunny and there isnt a speck of snow in sight?

if you cant tell how easy it is to be confused by this movie yet theres so many more scenes of random violence and craziness that gives way to further downtime that its hard to really wrap ones head around this

the ONLY theory i have so far is that sometimes hana-bi, the person in the wheelchair, is making art that is even remotely related to whats going on with nishi, and so

the only thing i might have is maybe nishi is hana-bi's muse, and the alter ego of nishi that goes around gangbanging and loving poo poo up is some sort of resentment that hana-bi has against his ex-partner because he lost his wife and child since they left him when he was wheelchair bound

and he blames his partner nishi

so he comes up with this head canon that his partner is this really scummy piece of poo poo who bounces from place to place ruining everything and robbing banks and poo poo while hanging out with his wife and child

but its not real and its just his own twisted delusion that is reflected in his art at times

thats all ive got really i dont get this the gently caress at all lol

really, really, really confusing, but that age old cliche of "i laughed! i cried" rang true for this movie, even if it felt like a scattered assortment of impressionist artwork loosely strung by the flimsiest of narratives

there were scenes that were extremely impactful in this and i really liked it i just wish i understood it more i can see why it went by another name of Fireworks because it seems like a firework show where explosions of blood violence and mayhem pop up for sometimes seemingly no reason

8.5/10

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

god le samourai is so good but i think i could fall for any 60s paris film

the whole original crime set up followed by the police interrogation felt like an episode with columbo but obviously it cannot play out so nicely

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alain Delon is such a cool and hot dude I want him to gently caress me and kiss me in the lips

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fungah try to get me a movie by tomorrow

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Fungah try to get me a movie by tomorrow

ive got one for you right now motherfucker

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

my pick will finally prove my intellectual superiority over everyone here

did this btw

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
never saw le samourai before and i think loved every moment of it. it just hit an odd itch i didn't realize i was wanting in a movie. so good, and i loved the pacing of it.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Le Samouraļ was a great film. Impressive acting, especially from Alain/Nathalie Delon, moody atmosphere, good pacing. The soundtrack was very apropos and infused the scenes with a nice ethereal quality (and emphasized the crushing loneliness of the protagonist in my view). I have to say my favorite scene was the interrogation between the commissioner and Jane Lagrange in her apartment. I love how unflappable she was despite his threats and wheedling. It also had my favorite line, "The truth isn't what you say. It's what I say." Jef's pet bird was great too, and like starbarry clock said before I hope it went to a good owner after Jef's demise. Additionally, the scene at the beginning with Jef getting his license plate changed was a standout to me. He'd done that so many times that he and the other guy didn't even have to say anything. It was only at the end he finally told Jef that it would be the last time, which of course becomes more poignant after having seen the ending.

All in all, an excellent choice. I wish I had a giant keyring now

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

le samourai. not spoilin this because its the last day

liked it a lot. it reminded me a ton of pale flower for obvious reasons (both noir, both have main characters tht are just cool as hell) but where pale flowers about the relationship between the male nd female lead, this ones all about jef. i liked th police inspector a lot, the police procedural part worked really well, although its funny that its the bulk of the runtime of the movie. its also funny how quick jef is to shake em in the paris metro, theres like 300 cops lookin for him and it only takes two tries to break out. the movie managed to suggest a whole dirty world around jef tht we ended up not needin to see. liked it a bunch but i think pale flower was the better movie in a similar vein.

★★★½

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Le Samouraļ was great, Alain Delon is incredibly cool and was perfect for this part, and 60's Paris is just a great environment no matter the context. Loved that Jef's apartment and even the area he lived in were completely grey and washed out, and the only time he spent in colorful places was when he was working. The theme and pacing reminded me a lot of The Day of the Jackal, which obviously took some heavy inspiration from this one. The police inspector and Jane were both fascinating characters too, and great performances from basically everyone in the movie.
4/5 vhs tapes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hana-bi is one of my all time favorite movies, glad I could share it with yall. Hope yall enjoy.

5/5 berets

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

le samourai was amazing. i forgot to watch pale flower on time which seems to be similar, im gonna have to watch that back.

le samourai easy 8.0 egm silver award

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I hope you guys wont forget Fungah's pick!

Speed Racer - dir. by The Wachowskis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V8sLlqJB2w

quote:

Young driver, Speed Racer, aspires to be champion of the racing world with the help of his family and his high-tech Mach 5 automobile.

This film will expire on September 25th.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Speed Racer is viewable on Max, Roku App, and Hulu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC0YAJR6xQQ

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 11, 2023

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

herculon posted:

Hope you picked Speed Racer

loving finally

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

guy who's spent two months sayin he's going to pick speed racer: i picked speed racer

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

guy who's spent two months sayin he's going to pick speed racer: i picked speed racer

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

lol

gently caress yeah. good pick

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My favorite movie by the Wachowskis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Great pick love speed racer