Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's the movie where the family hires this woman as a carer for their messed-up son, and it turns out that not only is he a killer, but she's also a serial murderer and is microdosing on LSD or something and it makes her even murderier, and the mom might be a killer too? I know I watched it last year or early this year but gently caress if I can remember the name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A movie made with the purpose of instilling fear and/or disgust/revulsion in the viewer is a fine enough guide for horror, but even that has exceptions. Instilling suspense is typically seen as more the mark of a thriller, which implies a kind of nervous anticipation of the unknown (which is why most thrillers are mysteries of some kind), but parsing suspense from fear isn't always easy or possible. Some people in the debate think that the very concept of suspense might be incoherent anyway. Can I really say there's a distinct difference between the suspense of the neighbor slowly approaching Jimmy Stewart's apartment at the end of Rear Window vs. Michael Myers stalking Laurie from across the street, or Sadako lumbering towards the TV screen? Who knows, so it's whatever. Art is hard.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Phy posted:

What's the movie where the family hires this woman as a carer for their messed-up son, and it turns out that not only is he a killer, but she's also a serial murderer and is microdosing on LSD or something and it makes her even murderier, and the mom might be a killer too? I know I watched it last year or early this year but gently caress if I can remember the name

That is good ol A Spoonful of Sugar

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Freeway just felt like a mean-spirited Gen X White Guy movie to me. Felt like it told me more about the white dude writer's complexes about women/black people/etc (also apparently he's the dude who made the infamous Tiptoes lol). There's some fun ideas, I appreciated Kiefer being an Orange County psycho who gets the benefit of the doubt and him doing that voice is fun I guess.. More than anything, it just felt gross, pointless, stupid, juvenile, shock for the sake of shock...Made me wish I was watching Killer Joe. Just as nasty and exploitative, just as ill-advised and muddled in its "dark observations" of society/race/class/whatever, but a way better and funnier film imo

Did finally see The Craft though. Pretty fun. Talk about flipping on a friend real quick though, I get that Fairuza Balk was crazy as gently caress post spirit invocation but boy do the other two get enthusiastically onboard with murdering their new friend...teen witches are cruel.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 2, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I just think it leans too heavily on Chevy Chase Being A Dickhead and is too disjointed to be properly horror or even properly comedic :shrug: It's an oddity, but it could've been really splattery. It's too tame to be Troma and too grotesque to be particularly funny, so it lands in this weird zone where it is mostly unsatisfying, but there's a lot of interesting weird poo poo in there that it could have been more.

That’s the problem with most Chevy Chase performances but it’s especially egregious in Nothing But Trouble because the whole point of his character is torturing an 80s NYC yuppie in a rural nightmare town.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am compulsed to mention this every time ghost adventures is mentioned: there is an episode where its valentines and they go to a bed and breakfast where there is a lady ghost who has sex with you. the entire episode is about zak and one of his cohosts trying to seduce the ghost. there is a bit where zak slips on ice while reading poetry to the lady ghost and lands on his rear end. they replay it in the same way they replay spooky ghost sounds.

Lol this rules

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Grimbeard on youtube makes these incredible ghost adventures parodies for shorts with ai voice that are hilarious if you’re into ghost hunting shows for the pants on head stupidity.

Also CP have you seen Cobweb? I get the feeling its very much your jam if you can pick up what the first half is putting down

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not yet but now I want too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's very weird it didn't drop in October, because that is a movie dripping in Autumn Vibes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The RLM boys raved about it, compared it to Trick r Treat in terms of nonstop Halloween vibes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am compulsed to mention this every time ghost adventures is mentioned: there is an episode where its valentines and they go to a bed and breakfast where there is a lady ghost who has sex with you. the entire episode is about zak and one of his cohosts trying to seduce the ghost. there is a bit where zak slips on ice while reading poetry to the lady ghost and lands on his rear end. they replay it in the same way they replay spooky ghost sounds.

lmao

Where do I go to gently caress a ghost?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Asking for a friend, of course

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Asking for a friend, of course

How is Dan Aykroyd?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

After a certain point getting too focused on taxonomy ends up locking you out of a lot of films that I'd argue are massively important or impactful horror.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer could pretty accurately be categorized as a Drama, same with The Devils, but both are incredibly horrifying.

At the same time, I'm not going to pretend I wasn't rolling my eyes constantly when people were trying to make "cozy horror" a thing a few months ago.

I don’t know what cozy horror is but it sounds like something I’d be guilty of.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Cozy horror is real, it is called Over The Garden Wall and it is good and it is my friend.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Its 2:30 in the afternoon. I have started Nightmare on Elm Street 4. (Obviously)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Cozy horror is real, it is called Over The Garden Wall and it is good and it is my friend.

:hmmyes:

I like the term Cozy Horror.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I watch this every year when the leaves start changing. Fireplace and a warm blanket horror.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sigher posted:

:hmmyes:

I like the term Cozy Horror.

All horror is cozy horror :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Making some home made hot chocolate and cozying up with a blanket as I put Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer into the dvd player

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The protagonist always looked very cozy in Misery.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Misery is a pretty cozy movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Watched some of this and yep 100%

I want to give it a full go in bed all wrapped up

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hollismason posted:

Misery is a pretty cozy movie

The kinda movie that just makes you want to kick your feet up.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

settlin down for a rewatch with my potatoes and molasses

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Holy poo poo, Child's Play 2 is great. I know the entire series is generally supposed to be fun and inventive, but what kind of quality variance can I expect as I go?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

3 is the nadir, then it doesn't get good until Curse when it gets phenomenal. note that they are bad, not unfun. they are very fun and Jennifer Tilly kills Redman at some point. good? not at any point, but fun? all the way through

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
bride and seed are better than curse B)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My Haunted House will not be put on this year due to budget cuts.

It was done as part of an Amusement Park/Zoo run by the City of Reykjavík and due to the recent recession the Haunted House is getting the axe despite turning a profit and being so popular some people stood in line for three hours until we implemented a booking system on the second night.

Also probably because my contact inside the park is on a long-term sick leave and without him there isn't any ambition to do anything wacky like this.

A bummer but at least I'll have time to focus on other projects without burning out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing with the Chucky series is it’s vibe constantly changes while holding on to its core. So some people are gonna love the first two. Some will love Bride and Seed. Some will love Curse and Cult. It’s constantly changing up so what your favorite is is gonna be a subjective call.

But what makes it great is that it’s such a well done progression and continuity of characters that even if you don’t like one of the films there’s plenty there for you to engage with and you can be confident the next film will be different but also still that same core you’re into.

3 is the black sheep because it’s the least inspired and most generic horror sequel of the bunch. It’s not bad by those standards but It’s the one with no real imagination or sense of whimsy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The military base setting is really what kills 3. Such a drab environment full of assholes. The amusement park at the end is super cool, but it's too little too late. Should've set the whole movie there and just done a Ghoulies 2 remake with Chucky.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Bride and Seed are both very good. My favorites of them all.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

WeaponX posted:

Bride and Seed are both very good. My favorites of them all.

Big same, they're the campiest the movies ever get and I love it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I would like Jennifer Tilly to crush me.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The thing with the Chucky series is it’s vibe constantly changes while holding on to its core. So some people are gonna love the first two. Some will love Bride and Seed. Some will love Curse and Cult. It’s constantly changing up so what your favorite is is gonna be a subjective call.

But what makes it great is that it’s such a well done progression and continuity of characters that even if you don’t like one of the films there’s plenty there for you to engage with and you can be confident the next film will be different but also still that same core you’re into.

Yeah in a way it’s the least stagnate tonally but the most consistent quality-wise of the big franchises

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Oh fun, child's play is on HBO. Guess that's what I am watching next. Never seen it all the way through or unedited.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

And then once you've watched the Child's Play/Chucky movies, you get to watch the Chucky series, and that's just a treat! :allears:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Presto, you’re dead!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

And then once you've watched the Child's Play/Chucky movies, you get to watch the Chucky series, and that's just a treat! :allears:

tbh because of this I think I liked Child's Play 3 more than I would have, because it just felt like a decent filler episode in a Chucky show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I mean the last season of Chucky was basically the military academy all over again. It was still really good though. I'm curious the gently caress though how their going to work The White House and President of the United States into the Chuckyverse. That has me most interested.