Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

one would think it'd be an apple tv exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hell yeah

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

this owns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/fiendformojitos/status/1697633680468959555?t=n7U_5TFrTj67j5b9tPe-pw&s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

insane clown pussy posted:

didn't disney stream it a couple years later?

Yeah once the suits were convinced they had squeezed as much money out of upper west enders buying tickets as a status symbol as they could they eventually budged on this but it took years

In the 90s my mom had a VHS of a broadcast Les Mis performance she taped, and she drat near wore that film out

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Yeah, Luffy could have been a character just as irritating as Ed from the live action Cowboy Bebop, but the actor really did a good job of translating that character into live action without it being annoying. Really, most of the supporting cast is pretty good. Apparently the guy who plays Zoro is Sonny Chiba's son.

Luffy in this adaptation (probably in the manga too, I'm not familiar) has some sort of twink himbo energy that could be annoying, but the actor and writing do a great a job IMO of toeing up to that line but not going over it. My friend who is a One Piece fanatic calls it near-perfect casting.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/jimmybuffett/status/1697853740752179630?t=sk_IANqBwSD7CpopYGen7g&s=19

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
more like parrotdead

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He's eating cheeseburgers in paradise now :rip:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Now's the time to DM slide your local DILF, tell them they shouldn't be alone right now

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 70 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Luffy in this adaptation (probably in the manga too, I'm not familiar) has some sort of twink himbo energy that could be annoying, but the actor and writing do a great a job IMO of toeing up to that line but not going over it. My friend who is a One Piece fanatic calls it near-perfect casting.

However, one big problem I have with the show is with Arlong. There are some really unfortunate implications with the way they chose to handle that character.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

after two eps, WoT season 2 is better than season 1 and rings of power, which isn't saying much but it's a huge improvement. everything in the tower is pretty great

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ram dass in hell posted:

more like parrotdead

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
finished the new The Full Monty series. loved it overall

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

C-Euro posted:

I haven’t watched it, but one thing I remember is that I’m one of the volumes of the manga Oda was asked what country each character would have been from in the real world. Luffy would have been Brazilian, Zoro Japanese, Sanji French, and I don’t remember what country specifically but Usopp was of African descent.

and just from the casting it looks like they shot for that ballpark

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

insane clown pussy posted:

i'm kinda being a little unfair to taylor swift. pretty much every entertainment figure these days is the child of someone rich and well-connected. that's just how media works

That was also true before. Look up tha family of Jim Morrison or Frank Zappa.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

i say swears online posted:

after two eps, WoT season 2 is better than season 1 and rings of power, which isn't saying much but it's a huge improvement. everything in the tower is pretty great

Mat is better, too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

I haven’t watched it, but one thing I remember is that I’m one of the volumes of the manga Oda was asked what country each character would have been from in the real world. Luffy would have been Brazilian, Zoro Japanese, Sanji French, and I don’t remember what country specifically but Usopp was of African descent.

Usopp was literally just African, though I think he's kinda meant to be mixed heritage. The Spanish dub apparently ran with that and made him a Barbary corsair. Kinda funny given Blackbeard is later said to be from Somalia.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/SmoothDunk/status/1697882837611937922?t=J-AYAIZ8UfIu1UvmPoFEBg&s=19

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, Sanji isn’t French but you can tell they used that as a roadmap.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

babypolis posted:

that sounds like a dogshit premise for a movie

ok ok but hear me out what if its like the duellists but with wizards

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Some Guy TT posted:

didnt someone in this thread or somewhere say that the plot of the original magic the gathering is just some epic duel between wizards and the cards represent all the crazy poo poo they can do why cant the movie just be about that

Yes and the mtg manga basically is this.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Saw Reservation Dogs S3E3 and holy poo poo.

It was about residential schools :smith:

Like, you read about this stuff and you know the bullet points of what went on in those but it’s another thing to see it, and know that was just the tip of the iceberg in this demon cracker nation. I liked that the nuns were depicted as speaking gibberish, because they were torturing kids for not following their instructions when they don’t speak the language. Plus it didn’t even matter if they compiled, hurting them was the entirely the point and no pretext they could give would have been acceptable anyway. They also showed kids getting dragged away in the middle of the night to do the usual Christian things to them.

And then at the end of the episode the Deer Lady shanks one of the men that worked there and I appreciated that they let that happen rather than some lib poo poo about how it was in the past or stooping their level or due process and that nothing should have been done.

dark winds has a super early reference to sterilization programs which was a hell of an oof not something thats dwelled on but something thats definitely a huge influence on how all the characters think

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

for the past decade she's marketed herself as wrongly persecuted, from Kanye to Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Demi Lovato, to all her exes (a few of whom she actively hosed with but spun it as an innocent mistake when they pointed this out). there's probably half a dozen I'm missing. she's the apotheosis of every white girl's fantasy about their own lives (and it involves righteous anger at famous black people)

this is reminding me how swift was initially famous for doing nothing but breakup songs back when he was still doing the soup joel mchale had a great bit where he just went the reason we make fun of you for doing breakup songs is because its all you write just write a song about literally anything else and well stop making fun of you

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

isn't that an old seinfeld thing? "the common denominator of all my failed relationships is me"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Taylor Swift looking for material, sizing a guy up, fantasizing about the break up song shes gonna write about him in a few months

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

critical support for the Swifts in this because it seems like it'll put pressure on the AMPTP
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1697354144292466969?s=20

quote:

The only exhibitors who knew about the deal were the film’s partners, AMC and Cinemark; other theaters are now playing catchup. AMC, the nation’s largest circuit also chose not to tip off its studio partners and that’s causing major anger.

Then again, perhaps turnabout is fair play. There’s no indication that, say, Warner Bros. conferred with exhibitors before deciding to pull the Nov. 3 release of would-be blockbuster “Dune: Part Two” and moving it into spring. That weekend will now be the final for the “Eras Tour” release — unless, of course, it’s held over.

Swift and her representatives chose AMC Theaters Distribution as the distributor of record for the U.S.; Cinemark and other circuits will handle foreign territories. However, the concert is not exclusive to any exhibitor; in the U.S., New York-based Variance will book the film for other theaters. It’s expected to open on more than 4,000 screens, which could impact the October box office.

Universal, which previously had the only new film on October 13, has moved Jason Blum’s much-anticipated “The Exorcist: The Believer” to October 6. That’s neither cheap nor optimal: Advance marketing already has the original date, with advertising committed. Bleecker Street also changed its date for their Meg Ryan-directed “What Happens Later” to November 3.

The next weekend, Paramount plans the wide release of Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon” ahead of its Apple streaming. Days ago, Paramount announced that “Killers” would skip an October 6 limited release and move straight into wide. Now, Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro might face competition with Swift for IMAX and premium screens. That’s particularly troubling since the drama’s screenings are already limited by its 3.5-hour runtime. For now, all IMAX venues checked show no on-sales for either film on the weekend of October 20.

Most of all, this is an aggressive, gloves-off move among the gentlepersons’ agreements that generally guide theater bookings. Distributors don’t surprise each other with release dates. Studios expect to have the lead time to defend their films’ priority at theaters. With Swift, AMC has committed screens for multiple weekends and made their unavailability a fait accompli.

so am i reading this incorrectly or does this entire controversy just boil down to the major distributors are mad that taylor swift has a strong enough brand she can undermine their cartel and literally no one aside from the major distributors is negatively impacted by this in any way oh and also this is happening in the middle of a strike where the major distributors are dicking over everyone at random in new ways every week

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

got around to watching the cranes are flying about a woman in Moscow whose fiancee goes off to fight in the great patriotic war. helluva movie, I'm intensely depressed now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Following a weekend where a number of top tier showrunners were contacted by agents unsuccessfully urging them to support the latest AMPTP proposal, today’s get-together is in part to ensure that CEOs don’t stumble into a position where they’re negotiating against themselves. While there have been reports out there that Netflix could be willing to bend toward the WGA on a number of points, others say that Hollywood’s top brass are on the same page when it comes to their approach with the guilds.

so this was interesting to me because it seems to imply that the major sticking point for the strikes is actually ai and not streaming residuals since as far as i know netflix isnt involved in any of these goofy rear end lets replace all our labor with robots schemes due to their lack of valuable intellectual copyright but their entire business model is literally streaming content they dont have any other means of revenue

it just never stops being amazing to me how disastrous hollywoods whole move to ip branding at all costs strategy has been they lost china doing this and theyre currently in the process of losing the domestic market too but rather than consider doing literally anything else theyre going all in on plans that will allow them to do the ip branding slightly more cost efficiently

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Swift's date is ten minutes late for dinner. Is it finally time for the break up? Shes got a vague chorus about how he left her heart waiting and maybe a bridge about being hungry for love. Not a chart topper, but it'll fill a slot on the album. Then she spots him walking up with flowers in his hand. He apologizes for being late and says he had to go to the florist across town to find the flowers she liked. Swift smiles and takes the flowers, but inwardly she sighs. Nobody buys albums about good relationships!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

StashAugustine posted:

got around to watching the cranes are flying about a woman in Moscow whose fiancee goes off to fight in the great patriotic war. helluva movie, I'm intensely depressed now

love this one. make sure to watch soy cuba from the same guy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tristeham posted:

love this one. make sure to watch soy cuba from the same guy

"Soy Cuba" sounds like a thing one of those chuds would say who thinks the definition of communism is whatever culture war poo poo they're currently mad about

like, they'd see you drinking a bud light and they'd be like "go back to soy cuba, snowflake"

loquacius has issued a correction as of 03:37 on Sep 3, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

so this was interesting to me because it seems to imply that the major sticking point for the strikes is actually ai and not streaming residuals since as far as i know netflix isnt involved in any of these goofy rear end lets replace all our labor with robots schemes due to their lack of valuable intellectual copyright but their entire business model is literally streaming content they dont have any other means of revenue

it just never stops being amazing to me how disastrous hollywoods whole move to ip branding at all costs strategy has been they lost china doing this and theyre currently in the process of losing the domestic market too but rather than consider doing literally anything else theyre going all in on plans that will allow them to do the ip branding slightly more cost efficiently

The AI poo poo is def a part of it, especially with hollywood suits openly salivating about replacing actors and writers with a big machine they own that produces Content.

And I wouldn't be surprised the endless IP slop approach is losing China, they seem to have forgotten the whole point is that you have charismatic and attractive people who have appeal even if you can't understand what they're saying. Anime understands this.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Finished the One Piece live action season 1. The show is good. Very good.

My wife liked it and she hated the anime.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so in less complainy some guy itt discusses historical fiction posts i just finished the plot against america and man what a contrast to man in the high castle no star warsesque resistance bullshit no gratuitous sex scenes just a really tight brutal depiction both about how fascism appeals to people youd think would know better but also about why people dont strike back harder against it because the whole social contract is built around compromise and youre not arbitrarily losing everything all at once just because some cops an rear end in a top hat its a gradual process really blows that it only got one season because the showrunners clearly did their research

in a similar but very different way rome season two is really rolling with its demonstration of how killing julius caesar basically destroyed roman democracy because while julius clearly respected roman institutions for all his undermining of them and kept trying to negotiate a return to normalcy octavian clearly doesnt give two shits about them casually discussing murdering all his political enemies and really why do anything else after what happened to his great uncle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Random rear end reminded of Obelix and Co., the Asterix comic that has a pretty withering satire of current economics that has aged all too well, and the whole joke is that once Asterix figures out how the Romans' latest scheme works he literally just sits back and waits for it to implode on its own, his only action to actually help it along by encouraging Getafix to let the villagers use the magic potion for capitalism.

I think a lot of stuff is explained by the whole premise that buying into capitalism as an ideology means assigning mystical properties to the act of trade itself, dismissing what is actually traded as lesser irrelevant details to be abstracted away like in a video game, and as a result having no concept of how anything actually works and the endgame is neoliberalism and countries that believe themselves powerful and robust after having shut down all the factories in favour of offices to pass bits of paper around

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Finished the One Piece live action season 1. The show is good. Very good.

I'll never believe this no matter how many people say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'll never believe this no matter how many people say it.

no anime experience, only watched the first episode: the lead is great

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 14:24 on Sep 3, 2023