Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Boo, seems I can’t Family Share Starfield. Hopefully just because it’s in the “advanced early access” period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Void Stranger rocks. Very strong chance it tops my goty list this year

Estel
May 4, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I remember with one of the reviews I watched, they talked about one of the missions where one of your roommates has a mission where you go to get some drive-through toy he wanted as a child, and you have to fight past a bunch of guards or a rival gang or something, and once you're driving back, he says something along the lines of, 'Man, I want to give these toys to orphans' or something like that. Meanwhile, you just killed like thirty people, some of who might've had children who would now be orphans (I mean, they don't, because they're enemies in a video game, but you get what I'm saying).

It's an issue of trying to eat your cake and still have it, where it seems they wanted the protagonists to be 'good guys' but that doesn't really mesh with an open-world crime game. I think SR3 started that trend by making the Saints into celebrities, and then it was amplified in SR4 where you become a superhero trying to stop an alien who destroys the Earth. I think it worked moreso in SR3/4 because those games were so over-the-top, that aspect was kind of obfuscated.

However, I've seen a sentiment regarding Saints Row 3 and onward that it wasn't like by a good portion of fans because it leaned way to heavily into the zaniness. That's not to say that SR2 wasn't over-the-top, and that it wasn't advertised on that basis, but it was still largely grounded. I recall with one video I watched, they said that when they first teased the reboot, they thought maybe it was going to be a return to the days of SR1/SR2, and that they thought a good setting for a new game would have been a prequel to SR1 detailing the friendship and fallout between Julius and Benjamin King. I think that would have worked well.

That is why SR2 is still the best SR game, your character is a psychopath and the game acknowledges it, there's a lot of fun and over-the-top moments but the game never hides or tries to minimise or play for laughs the fact that you are a horrible person doing horrible things to other people.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Trucker Hat posted:

Big congrats! How did it compare to the first one?
I definitely preferred the sequel, though I imagine that's in part because the original primed me to like it. The first La-Mulana was one-of-a-kind, and asks the player to do a lot of stuff you maybe weren't expecting. By the time you get to La-Mulana 2, you already know what you're in for, and can prepare yourself accordingly. La-Mulana 2 boasts a lot of quality of life improvements over the original, including a lot of things that contribute to the game's personality and charm like more characters (with more recognizably diverse designs) to interact with, but nothing as major as just knowing what to expect.

It's a more polished experience, though the original was more unique. The sequel builds off the original's structure and storyline, and while I think it did a great job, I could see people preferring the mystery of the unknown. A lot of your equipment is the same between games too, so Lumisa's skill set offers very few surprises. The big reveals are all on the developer's side: new levels and puzzles and lore.

Still, it looks good, sounds good, and plays better. If you liked the first game, it's an easy recommend. I suppose it's not bad as a first game either, though the game definitely assumes you've played the first game first (and one of my favorite moments requires doing so in order to land).

Of the four puzzles that tripped me up, one of them was due to tunnel vision where I was sure something didn't matter when it did. If I'd just been a bit more thorough, I could've avoided getting stuck. Another puzzle that got me came RIGHT at the end, and while I think I could've gotten it with a little more can-do attitude, I was right at the end, I was ready to be done, and I'd already caved to using a guide three times before. I knew roughly what I had to do, I just didn't know where I had to do it, so I looked up the location rather than revisit every room (my handwritten notebook started off strong but petered off in usefulness at about the midway point when my job got busy and I didn't have the time to keep as neat and tidy records as before). The other two puzzles were the only two that felt "Unfair" though I have it on good authority people solved those ones too so I guess I just missed something. On the whole, the sequel is way more "Doable," though I know there are people who beat the first game without a guide as well.

There was a fifth puzzle that stopped me cold as well, but it turned out to be an optional challenge, so I didn't count it towards beating the game. I'm a bit undecided on how I feel about that one, but since it's just for bragging rights I don't mind saying it stumped me. If you've played the game, you know the one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If Nigoro released a third game, I'd happily buy it Day One and make another attempt at a guide-less run with my trusty notebook at my side.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Void Stranger is giving me some La-Mulana feels, but mostly the original, fake-MSX version of it with all the block pushing puzzles they cut out for the remake that's on Steam.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Estel posted:

That is why SR2 is still the best SR game, your character is a psychopath and the game acknowledges it, there's a lot of fun and over-the-top moments but the game never hides or tries to minimise or play for laughs the fact that you are a horrible person doing horrible things to other people.
gently caress you say?!

SR2 is the best in the series, It was in a way trying a more serious tone once in a while (cutscenes) that the later GTA's also did, while still being an extremely goofy game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 is delayed to Fall 2024

The developer working on the game now is The Chinese Room (Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, Little Orpheus, Dear Esther)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

The developer working on the game now is The Chinese Room (Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, Little Orpheus, Dear Esther)

Man this game needs to go back to the drawing board

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh and btw The Chinese Room is that dev only in name, all original employees and co-founder are gone at this point (which is why Little Orpheus was a 2.5D platformer rather than, yknow, a walking sim like everything else in their catalog)

so I have no idea how the game's going to turn out

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The 7th Guest posted:

Oh well gently caress giving a poo poo about that having gameplay beyond watching

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Tiny Timbs posted:

Man this game needs to go back to the drawing board

Considering it's original release date was Q1 2020, I think it's already been back there. Maybe even several times.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
V:TM 2 is going to be the greatest game ever, the worst game ever, or somewhere between those two poles imo

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Eason the Fifth posted:

V:TM 2 is going to be the greatest game ever, the worst game ever, or somewhere between those two poles imo

Cancelled is none of those things

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
In light of the current TTRPG fad White Wolf/Onyx Path makes the management of D&D look like chads. Like, if they were literally any more competent they could get that bag.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 3, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Urban Fantasy has been extremely popular this last decade, PDX is literally sleeping on top of a gold pile.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there way to see progress when the Steam Cloud is downloading/syncing? Specifically on Steam Deck if that matters. Getting my save games from BG3 after many hours of play time is taking forever.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

Gollum vibes

The devs never working on a game of this type before, now expected to deliver on a large project

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Agents of Mayhem seemed a hell of a lot like a service game with all the service parts ripped out.

That and you can see the hard divergence where the main team (used in all the marketing, natch) is lazy, unfunny "what if GI Joe was naughty" parodies...then everyone else is just a superhero of some kind played more or less straight. It reminded me a lot of SR3's total inability to pick a tone.

I'm like one of the three people that liked AoM. My desperate hope was that they'd get to try again and make AoM2 a banger. :(

I reinstalled AoM the other day.I didn't know how to restart the game from scratch because it just loads you into your save so I ran with it... and I was just so confused. The confusion felt like when I jumped back into Warframe last month after 8 years.

It feels like a loot treadmill pseudo-mmo right down to the confusing presentation. The base is cool but I don't remember where/how anything works anymore, and the game just assumes I know how to use it (Just like Warframe leaves you in the deep-end). Actual gameplay wise, attacks feel feeble. I understand the basic flow of Use Power, Do Attacks, Hotswap Character to Do Different Effect but didn't stop everything from feeling weak (The game also reuses dodging animations in Saints Row reboot).
Like when on the loading screens the game goes 'To upgrade your powers you need more LEGION CORES!". So you have to run over to the R&D table to build the upgrade, then you have to run over to a different table to equip them. If you don't have enough of a resource you can go to the Operations table and hover over missions and they tell you what resources you can earn :psyduck: To unlock more cars you have to find enough Schematics by I assume doing missions or something, until then you're stuck with the basic agent car or stealing them.

The whole game feels wack :psyduck:
Everything gives off a gatcha/Game as a Service (Way before that was a term/thing though) that got ripped out and patched.

Was there ever was a debrief of what happened during AoM dev to put everything into perspective? There's no way everything wrong about it can be thrown at the dev's feet.

Max Wilco posted:

I remember with one of the reviews I watched, they talked about one of the missions where one of your roommates has a mission where you go to get some drive-through toy he wanted as a child, and you have to fight past a bunch of guards or a rival gang or something, and once you're driving back, he says something along the lines of, 'Man, I want to give these toys to orphans' or something like that. Meanwhile, you just killed like thirty people, some of who might've had children who would now be orphans (I mean, they don't, because they're enemies in a video game, but you get what I'm saying).

It's an issue of trying to eat your cake and still have it, where it seems they wanted the protagonists to be 'good guys' but that doesn't really mesh with an open-world crime game. I think SR3 started that trend by making the Saints into celebrities, and then it was amplified in SR4 where you become a superhero trying to stop an alien who destroys the Earth. I think it worked moreso in SR3/4 because those games were so over-the-top, that aspect was kind of obfuscated.
The issue is in the tone.
While you only did kill Gang Goons for the stuff, they attempt to actually sound sincere about it instead of a more opportunistic tone (since you are trying to build up the gang you're not donating toys to kids to be nice, they'll just your gang more than the other ones).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Venuz Patrol posted:

Void Stranger rocks. Very strong chance it tops my goty list this year

Yeah this game is a loving trip. Has some dirty tricks up it's sleeve!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm enjoying it, but wish it was 30% less boob-obsessed just so I can recommend it to more people.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

I'm enjoying it, but wish it was 30% less boob-obsessed just so I can recommend it to more people.

Huh? Breasts you say?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Well, I've been sitting on it for too long, waiting for a good time to start, but since now it's about to be taken off gamepass, it's time to play everyone's favorite child soldier tank simulator Fuga: Melodies of Steel, the game that says "oh, it's too hard for you? ok, just shove a child into the soul furnace to power the easy mode cannon" (seriously I love games that play around with difficulty like this)

So far I've made it past chapter 1, so its really early on, but does anyone have any tips or warnings for this? One thing I'm worried about is affinity: dunno how elaborate I need to be in having everyone talk to each other and form links or if that would spread it too thin and I should just decide pairs to set in stone early on. For now I'll probably just try to have everyone mingle and see how everyone bounces off each other personality-wise and form pairs based on that, instead of trying to form super-optimal statistical pairs regardless of chemistry (though again, maybe I should be super-optimal lest I have to sacrifice someone because it gets too difficult...)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Frankly I'd rather have a Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption 2, it's a golden age for CRPGs anyway.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also V:TM:R did the NWN thing of letting one player connect as a DM and guide the story for a group of players 2 years before NWN which was rad as hell and needs to come back

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Well, I've been sitting on it for too long, waiting for a good time to start, but since now it's about to be taken off gamepass, it's time to play everyone's favorite child soldier tank simulator Fuga: Melodies of Steel, the game that says "oh, it's too hard for you? ok, just shove a child into the soul furnace to power the easy mode cannon" (seriously I love games that play around with difficulty like this)

So far I've made it past chapter 1, so its really early on, but does anyone have any tips or warnings for this? One thing I'm worried about is affinity: dunno how elaborate I need to be in having everyone talk to each other and form links or if that would spread it too thin and I should just decide pairs to set in stone early on. For now I'll probably just try to have everyone mingle and see how everyone bounces off each other personality-wise and form pairs based on that, instead of trying to form super-optimal statistical pairs regardless of chemistry (though again, maybe I should be super-optimal lest I have to sacrifice someone because it gets too difficult...)

the game-breaking combo is kyle and boron. boron is the best screen-nuker and kyle enhances the accuracy of whoever he's supporting, so the two of them can wipe out entire encounters with relative ease. one later party member also gets a skill called "risky grenade" that can apply a status effect that makes other status effects easier to proc - bosses mostly aren't immune to statuses, so with risky grenade and socks' electric attacks you can stunlock high-level encounters so badly they might never even be able to get a shot off

if you just make sure to keep the tank maintained and upgraded then any need for the soul cannon pretty much evaporates after the first few chapters. the only remaining gotcha is a particular requirement for the best ending: the final party member needs to have at least ten pips of affinity with the rest of the crew combined by the game's last stretch. i think you have three or four chapters of time to build it up, which should be plenty if you just devote all your team-building to that kid once they join

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao why did they hand over VtM Bloodlines 2 to Chinese Room of all people?
Did they not realize that it supposed to be an RPG and not a walking simulator?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jack Trades posted:

Boy, when Vampire: The Walking becomes a big hit are you gonna have egg on your face. :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dear Lestat

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jack Trades posted:

It's genius when you think about it because the whole flying and shapeshifting about really gives away the masquerade.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

It's genius when you think about it because the whole flying and shapeshifting about really gives away the masquerade.

Now that you mention it, I can't help but notice that "the masquerade" part of the title is written in the smallest possible font to hide it as much as possible.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

disposablewords posted:

Yeah, I actually liked what I played of AoM but something felt just missing. Mostly I think it desperately needed multiplayer, because having a buddy around would have made the constant escalation of the street fights go from borderline unmanageable to lots of happy chaos. I know there's always the "of course it's better with a friend, everything is" argument, but there are some things that are deliberately made to be played with others and going solo just feels bad, and I think AoM was somehow one of them despite being single-player.

See, I'm really the odd one out because I never felt like AoM needed co-op. Not to say it couldn't have been a co-op game, but imo it needed to be less like Saints Row rather than more like it. I mean, admittedly, I felt like the game was flirting real close with being Volition's take on City of Heroes (a game they were never shy about being fans of) and that was an MMO, so...

But I guess to me the game wouldn't have really shaped up for the better just by adding co-op. There's too many other structural issues, many of which if anything would be exacerbated by needing to account for a second player. (See above.)

Like the saggiest part of that game was the open world, which basically didn't need to exist because the grand majority of content was instanced with only an occasional setpiece built around one of the small handful of open world locations designed to host one. Even by the incredibly loose standards of what constitutes an open world sandbox you couldn't really DO very much, even if you had a second player running around causing mischief alongside you.

Edit: Only now realizing that at the end of the day AoM was trying to be a third person superhero shooter with RPG and service game elements, somehow ahead of the wave of the likes of similarly disastrous games like Avengers and (almost assuredly) Suicide Squad. Apparently that combination is just loving poison.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 3, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Frankly I'd rather have a Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption 2, it's a golden age for CRPGs anyway.

Bloodlines aged like milk anyway. Redemption wins by default.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
One of the first things I remember happening after joining these forums was Vampire: The Masquerade leaking ahead of schedule and being everyone's first taste of Source Engine ahead of Half-Life 2

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: Only now realizing that at the end of the day AoM was trying to be a third person superhero shooter with RPG and service game elements, somehow ahead of the wave of the likes of similarly disastrous games like Avengers and (almost assuredly) Suicide Squad. Apparently that combination is just loving poison.
Yeah I had to double check that when I was making my post and AoM's timing is so odd.
It's either way before most P2W/GaaS games where it would slot right into as a whole, closest I could put a finger on was Warframe but I don't think ever really was seen as a Massive Must-Copy Success game.
And it was after games things like Dirty Bomb that had you buying booster packs to get different character combos. Or whatever DoTA2 was doing at the time. But they were different with their systems.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
starting Clash: Artifacts of Chaos, which so far is looking to be an excellent game with an utterly terrible title. why would you make another entry in the Zeno Clash series and leave out the word "Zeno"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is Zeno no longer the main character

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hwurmp posted:

is Zeno no longer the main character

it's just Clash now, it's right in the title. c'mon

my favorite part of the game is when he says "it's time to clash"

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oxxidation posted:

starting Clash: Artifacts of Chaos, which so far is looking to be an excellent game with an utterly terrible title. why would you make another entry in the Zeno Clash series and leave out the word "Zeno"?

Not gonna lie, I never even gave this game a cursory glance cause of its title. I thought it was another mobile game like Clash Royale or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You can't have a Zeno game without Zeno, that would make some kind of paradox