Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
eh I like it. There isn't a guy screaming the term "dialectics" so I can see the writing isn't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Real hurthling! posted:

also i can't adjust the fov or the brightness unless im not seeing those sliders.

gotta make an ini edit to change fov. brightness and color are uh...

well first step would be to kill all the cataract filters with this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/323. there's no in game brightness/gamma options. you can use your gpu to gently caress with brightness/gamma after doing that but i'd bet the brightness issue is more of the hosed up filters the game has

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
besides theres' a lot of verticality in the game's combat. The low gravity actually creates a viable system of dodging.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
find or mod in a spinfusor and gently caress with some of the player physics parameters until you approximate tribes

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
also they have a very basic wall/ledge grappling system and its shockingly good?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sci Fi Oblivion is fine with me because I liked Oblivion and something that runs out of the box without need for futzing around with mods is nice

Also people were attributing all sorts of conspiracy about AMD bribing Bethesda to keep DLSS out of the game when the lack of an FOV slider suggests that the devs were just too lazy to plug it in

Intel doesn't even have working drivers for it because nobody sent them advance code to work on it

Lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Did some testing on large annoying bosses I didn't want to fight legit and I can confirm that even with bare minimum requirements, the Envoy Long Horn remains the most powerful weapon in Elden Ring. Apparently Great Hammers are now as fast as Greatswords while doing more damage of a better type and like twice as much posture damage.

Unfortunately for the Great Hammers only one looks close to as cool as the Knight's Greatsword which is what really matters

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

RandomBlue posted:

no get you some good clothes like these:

ngl this looks like half the bike clothing on sale nowadays for :homebrew:

need the spikes and gun to stop drivers from passing too closely

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

DONTNOD has a new climbing botw/death stranding-like game coming out called JUSANT. it looks... good? somehow i missed the announcement i guess. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1977170/Jusant/ 'm interested
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256965783/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1692894914

it'll be free on game pass which is ftw

this looks great, was wondering why nobody seems to be making tomb raider type games with only the fun parts :v:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Epic High Five posted:

Did some testing on large annoying bosses I didn't want to fight legit and I can confirm that even with bare minimum requirements, the Envoy Long Horn remains the most powerful weapon in Elden Ring. Apparently Great Hammers are now as fast as Greatswords while doing more damage of a better type and like twice as much posture damage.

Unfortunately for the Great Hammers only one looks close to as cool as the Knight's Greatsword which is what really matters

er, you sure? there are a bunch of pvp/pve multipliers that are different but checking spreadsheets and animation frame poo poo they seem equivalent for the attacks that have similar frames. https://er-frame-data.nyasu.business/?w=Envoy%27s+Long+Horn&w=Knight%27s+Greatsword

or https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j4bpTbsnp5Xsgw9TP2xv6d8R4qk0ErpE9r_5LGIDraU might be easier to parse? all the ways to look at this poo poo is nightmarish. it almost all comes from https://github.com/Meowmaritus/DSAnimStudio now which is a sick rear end tool

but yeah the stuff like damage levels for pve/pvp has to be taken into account to do comparisons. you cant really compare them by the in game numbers because those numbers are just kinda fake

on that google doc i think the Poise Damage - PVE and PVP tabs have all the relevant multipliers/motion values applied so that's what you'd compare. the envoy long horn tends to be like 1.3x the poise damage of the knight's greatsword for the same moves. and the animations frame data is similar for some but usualy pretty different. also the actual valid hitboxes for the weapons are different. i think the long horn still have like a "tip" kind of hitbox compared to the greatsword

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 09:55 on Sep 3, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mean Baby posted:

is there eventually rovers as well? not having not makes exploring the planets tedious.

jetpacks are nature's rovers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

er, you sure? there are a bunch of pvp/pve multipliers that are different but checking spreadsheets and animation frame poo poo they seem equivalent for the attacks that have similar frames. https://er-frame-data.nyasu.business/?w=Envoy%27s+Long+Horn&w=Knight%27s+Greatsword

or https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j4bpTbsnp5Xsgw9TP2xv6d8R4qk0ErpE9r_5LGIDraU might be easier to parse? all the ways to look at this poo poo is nightmarish. it almost all comes from https://github.com/Meowmaritus/DSAnimStudio now which is a sick rear end tool

but yeah the stuff like damage levels for pve/pvp has to be taken into account to do comparisons. you cant really compare them by the in game numbers because those numbers are just kinda fake

It's mainly how many more attacks, especially charged attacks, you get because of the extra posture damage, and stuff like the higher stagger damage meaning it'll knock more enemies out of more attacks which is a free followup most of the time

I'm a pure str guy, no spreadsheets here, all I've got is my gut after 6 playthroughs

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im glad beths released starfield w all this sci fi space bs cause now they can get back to what matters, es6 hammerfall w/ magic atom splitting nuke swords u sing into existence to genocide elves with (its okay theyre nazi elves)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Epic High Five posted:

It's mainly how many more attacks, especially charged attacks, you get because of the extra posture damage, and stuff like the higher stagger damage meaning it'll knock more enemies out of more attacks which is a free followup most of the time

I'm a pure str guy, no spreadsheets here, all I've got is my gut after 6 playthroughs

given this, you might have a bit of a natural affinity for blunt instruments that influences the accuracy of your gut feelings

but really the tradeoff is that greatsword swings let you dodge/cancel/etc a lot faster. also the weapon range/hitbox. if you're stationary and just swinging on a dummy over and over greathammers will generally just do 1.3x ish

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

given this, you might have a bit of a natural affinity for blunt instruments that influences the accuracy of your gut feelings

but really the tradeoff is that greatsword swings let you dodge/cancel/etc a lot faster. also the weapon range/hitbox. if you're stationary and just swinging on a dummy over and over greathammers will generally just do 1.3x ish

That's the best part, with a strategy emphasizing posture damage, you do in fact spend a lot of time swinging on a dummy over and over. I did a playthrough where a Knight's Greatsword ended up as my main for most of it, but something like the Great Stars is another level

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you buy Starfield from steam what kind of launcher gets in the way, if any?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

so just like fromsoft's games then.

Fromsoft can make two games though

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Starfields start is horrible and a whole bunch of stuff is unintuitive, derivative and outdated but for some reason I am starting to have fun with it. It might be there's a gem of a game hidden under the garbage, despite me finding more dumb stuff every time I sit down to play.

But I am still amazed at the fact that Bethesda's standard UI gets worse every new game they make.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

laezel describing turn into a mindflayer makes me lol everytime because she does this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llsPk2r0GQo&t=1s

sound clips burned in to my mind

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

im on an always sunny rewatch right now and, while the first season is a departure from the rest of the show, it does both establish a lot of stuff and gives a greater perspective on how far off the rails they are by season 4ish

yeah

anyway, everyone should watch it, and the podcast also seems pretty good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

evilmiera posted:

But I am still amazed at the fact that Bethesda's standard UI gets worse every new game they make.

it's so bad and lol only shows like 6 items at a time

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

gotta make an ini edit to change fov. brightness and color are uh...

well first step would be to kill all the cataract filters with this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/323. there's no in game brightness/gamma options. you can use your gpu to gently caress with brightness/gamma after doing that but i'd bet the brightness issue is more of the hosed up filters the game has

i tried installing this and it didn't seem to do anything? idk if the fitgirl repack is goofy or what

what is it with scifi games and deciding they all need to look like 50 Shades of Grayish muddled poo poo? whats the best way to make this not look like total smeared grey poo poo? i had the same complaint with NMS is it looked like absolute rear end

e: fixed it, it turns out the fitgirl repack version needs different instructions than what mods say to do

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:53 on Sep 3, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

genericnick posted:

Fromsoft can make two games though

dark, and souls

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Xaris posted:

it's so bad and lol only shows like 6 items at a time

gotta create jobs for the Darnified UI industrial complex

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

i tried installing this and it didn't seem to do anything? idk if the fitgirl repack is goofy or what

what is it with scifi games and deciding they all need to look like 50 Shades of Grayish muddled poo poo? whats the best way to make this not look like total smeared grey poo poo? i had the same complaint with NMS is it looked like absolute rear end

it's a color filter so there's probably reshade to fix that like every other bethesda game

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

evilmiera posted:

Starfields start is horrible and a whole bunch of stuff is unintuitive, derivative and outdated but for some reason I am starting to have fun with it. It might be there's a gem of a game hidden under the garbage, despite me finding more dumb stuff every time I sit down to play.

its me i have 2000 hours combined in all the vesions of skyrim

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

evilmiera posted:

its on par with fallout 4's UI. Somewhat annoying and will be superseded completely by StarUI.

Xaris posted:

e: fixed it, it turns out the fitgirl repack version needs different instructions than what mods say to do

At this point you can directly use nexusmod's starfield stuff. Doesn't even need an esp. Just download a neutral LUT and it will work fine.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Xaris posted:

did that end up unfucking things or does it still look like tenet sounds?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Do guns level? I keep finding Epic and Legendary guns I like but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to hang on to them or not? I don't see a way to level up gear in the crafting system.

I also have a nagging feeling this may have Oblivion's problem with bandits wearing glass armour, since I'm lvl 10 and Spacers already have Grendels with several adjectives.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol don't forget the ini tweaks to disable mouse acceleration and set x/y axes 1:1

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The crafting system seems to have some strange holes in it. Why can't I craft ammo?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Frosted Flake posted:

The crafting system seems to have some strange holes in it. Why can't I craft ammo?

lol and ammo can be wildly expensive too so don’t just go buying out vendors without checking the prices first

otoh my explosive smg now has plenty of ammo, and the upgrades I did to it seem to have made it even better so now I can rag doll entire ships of enemies to death instantly

great work no notes

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Spaceship building is dangerously addictive. Really cool modular system. Bet the psychos at Nexus will cook up some really cool poo poo with this once they get their tools

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
New Atlantis is really growing on me. it’s just the Mass Effect citadel with worse fashion

e: and a rat burger lumpen underground a la Demolition Man

Ben Nerevarine has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Sep 3, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There's a lot to like here. I wish the gunplay was a little weightier, but considering the breadth of everything, it's wild that New Atlantis is so good, random mines are so good, ships play so well.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Finally had that From moment in AC6 - I got Ibis down to like a shred of a shred of health, one hit gonna take down phase 2, missiles locked on, in the air, and a second from impact... and I dodge into his attack instead of away.

Gonna need to put that down for a little bit.

Wife is playing Starfield and it seems maybe better than I expected it would be? Like the Bethesda lows aren't quite as low, the good points are all there and maybe a little improved on, etc. If it ran on the deck, I'd probably have made a financially unwise decision already.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

evilmiera posted:

this is where im at so far. I didnt like the game that much after my first play session, but something clicked on my second session and now im enjoying it and excited about all the stuff i can pursue. We’ll see how long this lasts, but im having fun

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Ibis was the moment I needed to take out the dual stun needle launchers, almost carthatic how much more trivial it makes the boss. The only boss in the whole game who didn't get the memo that this is not a *souls game.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
judgment is interesting. it's yakuza but all the bosses and some enemies can curse you and permanently lower your hp to loving nothing until you go to a doctor in the sewers

judgment is the dark souls of yakuzas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

this is where im at so far. I didnt like the game that much after my first play session, but something clicked on my second session and now im enjoying it and excited about all the stuff i can pursue. We’ll see how long this lasts, but im having fun

Don't get me wrong there's still so many dumb decisions in the game, like making me fly to the other side of a planet to deliver a message when I could just use a radio, or making it extremely difficult to make out proper points of interest in a city, or most of the ship combat being a mess, but it still has me going back to it if only to keep trying to figure out what the deal is with all the factions.