Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SerthVarnee posted:

Yup. That was one hell of an emotional rollercoaster ride.
"Can't look at fancy space stuff...very sad."
"Can apparently just casually strike up a dialogue with loving NASA...Very hyped."

What’s the trigger there? Too many stars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Here’s a summary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V68pnTJwjQU

sorry I couldn’t resist it’s all I thought of when you said too many stars

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

Fun fact! Trypophobia can trigger a strong enough reaction in people to cause epileptic seizures!

Ask me how I know!
On the bright side, Trypophobia can also cause you to win the title of epilepsy consultant for NASA and Microsoft.

God drat, dude.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Giant ground sloths?

Yes, those and also the giant flying air sloths.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We do not discuss the maritime sloths.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Midjack posted:

We do not discuss the maritime sloths.

??? There's even a thread for that!!!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Here’s a summary

Video edited out

sorry I couldn’t resist it’s all I thought of when you said too many stars

Hey let’s not

E: spoiler is text

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s the prologue to 2010, are the stadium lights around the TMA-1 a problem?

The joke is that that’s basically what happened to Bowman when he went through the stargate/TMA-2

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s the prologue to 2010, are the stadium lights around the TMA-1 a problem?

The joke is that that’s basically what happened to Bowman when he went through the stargate/TMA-2

I’ll leave it to Seth, just being a dickhead in front. Hearts

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
what the hell just happened?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

what the hell just happened?

You're gonna need to narrow that down a bit.

e: oh that certainly is an interesting turn of events in the leper's colony

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

You're gonna need to narrow that down a bit.

e: oh that certainly is an interesting turn of events in the leper's colony

:stare:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

idgi. More CSPAM freak poo poo?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I’m baffled that people think there’s a loving ebola outbreak sweeping burning man. You know what else makes you poo poo blood and is actually depressingly common in developing regions? Dysentery from making GBS threads near your source of water.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Shut the gently caress up about poo poo that is not related to the war in Ukraine. We’ve got a bunch of other more appropriate threads for these discussions.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

^^ Understood, nevermind.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 3, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
War goobers posting on Forbes (the difference between the magazine you might remember and the website now is the difference between a TED Talk and a TEDx Talk, essentially, so grain of salt) saying the slowdown of the counter-offensive in the east allowed Russia to redeploy a reserve division south.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...sh=1eb3e71116dd

Nobel Committee says "PSYCH" and withdraws invitation to Russia/Iran/Belarus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66695198

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

GD_American posted:

Nobel Committee says "PSYCH" and withdraws invitation to Russia/Iran/Belarus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66695198

The fact that they invited two of the most despised countries in the world at all baffles me. Like did they really think no one was going to care?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

The fact that they invited two of the most despised countries in the world at all baffles me. Like did they really think no one was going to care?

Why can't we all just get along?~~

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Vengarr posted:

The image we dug into to find the exact trigger cause in, was the one of the Carina Nebula.

The key trigger was looking at the intense blue light right next to the very rich and dense brown cloudy region near the center of the image.

Looking straight at the brown region had no effect, but looking at the blue was just instant horror reaction and then the side effects came piling on.
Splitting the image into 16 similar sized chunks helped reduce the after effects from lasting 4 hours to lasting only 20 minutes and being much less severe.

Hekk posted:

Shut the gently caress up about poo poo that is not related to the war in Ukraine. We’ve got a bunch of other more appropriate threads for these discussions.

Sorry, didn't see you post until now. Shutting up now.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hekk posted:

:ironicat:

E: to be 100% loving clear, your star doesnt clear you to be a douchebag. Contribute or shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 3, 2023

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Just saw this in the WoWS thread. It's Flammu so hay hoo, but it's rather poignant all the same considering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao474qEBLsk

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Burt posted:

Just saw this in the WoWS thread. It's Flammu so hay hoo, but it's rather poignant all the same considering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao474qEBLsk

The forum seems to be on a .su (legacy Soviet Union top-level domain) so it might be bullshit but I also wouldn't underestimate them cheeky breekis running such a hilarious deal through obscurity like that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: to be 100% loving clear, your star doesnt clear you to be a douchebag. Contribute or shut the gently caress up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I'll eat the sixer for this: it's fuckin hilarious in a sad sort of power grubby way that the GIP IK is being a laser beam hardass about casual temporary derails while in equally serious forums like TFR the chief mod and former admin aids and abets derails as long as they aren't making people have psychotic meltdowns about whatever.

Considering McNally is just chilling fiddling about with historical muskets or whatever and that there are no actual rules-violating issues here while Hekk is spraying wildly with an M60 full of sixers the moment that someone makes a crack about anything other than the thread topic, I have to ask: why even loving bother trying to railroad such a general thread in such an angry way while we're all shooting the poo poo, other than because you like the threat of pushing buttons?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kazinsal posted:

I'll eat the sixer for this: it's fuckin hilarious in a sad sort of power grubby way that the GIP IK is being a laser beam hardass about casual temporary derails while in equally serious forums like TFR the chief mod and former admin aids and abets derails as long as they aren't making people have psychotic meltdowns about whatever.

Considering McNally is just chilling fiddling about with historical muskets or whatever and that there are no actual rules-violating issues here while Hekk is spraying wildly with an M60 full of sixers the moment that someone makes a crack about anything other than the thread topic, I have to ask: why even loving bother trying to railroad such a general thread in such an angry way while we're all shooting the poo poo, other than because you like the threat of pushing buttons?

No one even got a sixer tho, seemed a pretty typical "ok move on from this to the appropriate places" same as most mods / iks eventually do?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
:munch:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Moving right along, there was like two bridges connecting Crimea with Russia right? At least two of any significant size big enough to matter.

I know the Kerch bridge gets regular visits from the entropy fairy, but how is the other bridge doing?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh for gently caress’s sake.

This thread is about Ukraine, not… whatever the gently caress this is. We keep it on a pretty tight rail to avoid the kind of bullshit y’all just saw. There are other threads for chilling and talking about random poo poo elsewhere in GIP.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

SerthVarnee posted:

Moving right along, there was like two bridges connecting Crimea with Russia right? At least two of any significant size big enough to matter.

I know the Kerch bridge gets regular visits from the entropy fairy, but how is the other bridge doing?

I thought it got hit recently too, it's much closer to Kherson.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So if those two bridges close and they decide to go all out on ferrying stuff in by boat, how many boats is that even going to take? And do they still have a harbor at both ends capable of handling that sort of shipping load?

Would be amusing as all hell if they end up having to pull a Luftwaffe resupply attempt.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cope………tires?

https://twitter.com/tatarigami_ua/status/1698302027552436366?s=46

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

Only the Kerch connects to Russia proper in the East. The other bridges are on the north and connect to Russian-occupied parts of Ukraine.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

So if those two bridges close and they decide to go all out on ferrying stuff in by boat, how many boats is that even going to take? And do they still have a harbor at both ends capable of handling that sort of shipping load?

Would be amusing as all hell if they end up having to pull a Luftwaffe resupply attempt.

Depends on if they use the ferries for their intended purpose, or keep sinking them in an attempt to block Ukraine’s little torpedo-boats.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

Only the Kerch connects to Russia proper in the East. The other bridges are on the north and connect to Russian-occupied parts of Ukraine.

The Road bridge portion of Kerch has two spans. Maybe that's what they were thinking of? Also there's a rail bridge, but that's all considered part of the same bridge 'system'.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Those uh, those burn pretty well...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Maybe sandbags are too heavy for the wings

Resplendentoops
Dec 24, 2002

A man, a plan, a canal, Nicaragua!

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Cope………tires?

Oh god, not something to give twitter tire guy another day in the sun

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

They didn't just invite despised countries --- from the last Noble Peace Prizes winners, one (of the three) is imprisoned by Belarus, and another is a human rights organization banned by Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Covering a shiny place with black tires could make it harder to identify the plane with a low-res drone camera.