Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-08-treatment-based-gene-safely-effectively.html

quote:

A single injection of a novel CRISPR gene-editing treatment safely and efficiently removes SIV—a virus related to the AIDS-causing agent HIV—from the genomes of non-human primates, scientists at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University now report. The groundbreaking work complements previous experiments as the basis for the first-ever clinical trial of an HIV gene-editing technology in human patients, which was authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2022.

The preclinical study, published online in the journal Gene Therapy, tested EBT-001, an SIV-specific CRISPR-Cas9 gene-editing therapy, in rhesus macaques. The study shows that EBT-001 effectively excises SIV from reservoirs—cells and tissues where viruses like SIV and HIV integrate into host DNA and hide for years—without any detectable off-target effects in animals. The work is a significant advance in the generation of a cure for HIV/AIDS in humans.
(..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

insert anakin padme meme, i'm taking a second round of paxlovid treatment

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rochallor posted:

I am not a doctor, but I'd bet a good deal of the efficacy of the various nasal sprays is just putting something in your nose. Like just spraying distilled water up in there would probably do something. Who's to say whether it's 10% or 40% or 70% as effective as saline, but it's just a bit of hygiene that a lot of people don't do.

Distilled water burns like mad.

Add salt for that reason alone.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tzen posted:

insert anakin padme meme, i'm taking a second round of paxlovid treatment

Surely Dr. Fauci wouldn't unnecessarily take a second round

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
in case anyone doesn’t get that it’s a joke, that Forbes article is a photoshop

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Did this man live in Ohio but recently moved?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Death of Innocence posted:

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

i used to go in with an elastomeric and hold it to my face so I could do seal checks periodically

nowadays I bought a 50pk of the ugly yellow readimasks and that should tide me over til COVID is over (lol)

fwiw the person who cut my hair said she liked the color :sun:

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
you're one downloadable textbook away from being a hair stylist. learn the rules before you break them. then you can get creative making up your own stuff

familiarize yourself with https://www.reddit.com/r/Justfuckmyshitup/ and try to do the opposite of trends you see on there

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
if Taylor Swift concerts are superspreader events, what is Burning Man?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Haven't heard from Lacrosse for quite a while, I hope they're keeping safe :ohdear:

Lacrosse posted:

A hurricane is on its way to the playa so currently pretty wet

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

burning man is cancelled it is now soggy man

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pillowpants posted:

if Taylor Swift concerts are superspreader events, what is Burning Man?

A parthenogenesis event

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

hailthefish posted:

burning man is cancelled it is now soggy man

drowning man

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kragger99 posted:

Sad but true

An absolute banger imo

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Is the ebola at burning man thing real or a meme?

It's real to me

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

the rapid tests havent been updated. I haven’t seen anything to say they outright don’t detect the new variants, maybe that they are less accurate. in order to raise accuracy, swab the back of your throat and do the “low and slow” method on your nasal cavity, I think there’s a video in the op

did we already forget about the coughing trick

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
If anyone in the thread is having trouble getting your PCP to prescribe Paxlovid, try simply being an MD affiliated with your PCP's employing institution and tell them "this is not the correct response" and hopefully that'll get you sorted.

https://twitter.com/michaelzlin/status/1698113444652908988

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

Steve Yun posted:

are confined Covid concert cancellations kosher here

https://twitter.com/meetjess/status/1698141296416731198?s=46

GIMME SICK
GIMME COVID
THREAD IS HOARDING THE PAXLOVID
OOH!

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

Steve Yun posted:

are confined Covid concert cancellations kosher here

NOTA BENE! I am NOT speculating that Billie Eilish is currently suffering from COVID-19! This is merely the [Pestilence] thread, and Billie has stated that she is "really, really sick" with something:
https://twitter.com/F4SuperBugfan89/status/1698272970672676943

Apropos of nothing, Billie was a high-profile breakthrough case and said she had Long COVID in 2021:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Show youreself

https://twitter.com/RadCentrism/status/1698176874323800552

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

I used to get haircuts every 2-3 weeks, but now I haven’t had a haircut in 4 years (except for trimming every few months to remove split ends)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

COVID thread fashion show go

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yes

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MjolnirMan posted:

If anyone in the thread is having trouble getting your PCP to prescribe Paxlovid, try simply being an MD affiliated with your PCP's employing institution and tell them "this is not the correct response" and hopefully that'll get you sorted.

https://twitter.com/michaelzlin/status/1698113444652908988

we. have. the. tools.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MjolnirMan posted:

NOTA BENE! I am NOT speculating that Billie Eilish is currently suffering from COVID-19! This is merely the [Pestilence] thread, and Billie has stated that she is "really, really sick" with something:
https://twitter.com/F4SuperBugfan89/status/1698272970672676943

Apropos of nothing, Billie was a high-profile breakthrough case and said she had Long COVID in 2021:

There's no way there aren't consequences for all these high-profile athletes and celebrities just pushing through major infections. Like just pushing through the flu is not great if you're pushing through it to perform intense physical activity.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

There's no way there aren't consequences for all these high-profile athletes and celebrities just pushing through major infections. Like just pushing through the flu is not great if you're pushing through it to perform intense physical activity.

Yeah but if you notice with the upcoming flu and cold season all of the ads are about how you take this one simple medicine that relieves all the painful symptoms so you can rest peacefully and allow your immune system to fight off the infection get the gently caress back to work, peon

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m so mad that these facts are close to being connected!!

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

tuyop posted:

I’m so mad that these facts are close to being connected!!

I'm the mad amateur pharmacist what stocks at midnight, yea baby, yea!

Lib and let die posted:

COVID thread fashion show go

this is just starfield

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Buffer posted:

(..)
this is just starfield

More like: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/c/ppe/respiratory-protection/disposable/

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I wanna see the greasy goon locks

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Why would I cut my hair? I’m not a Mormon.

Also what’s up with the OP’s claim that paxlovid and cannabis have notable interactions? Following the link to WebMD got me this:

Drugs.com just says “Ritonavir may increase the blood levels of the psychoactive component of cannabis ,” which seems desireable to me, although admittedly some people might be upset to find themselves higher than they expected.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Grima Wyrmtounge in a full PAPR

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Wow Ebola at Burning Man

I can't wait to see what happens next!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Apparently the ebola thing is fake but one person so far has died at the event so far, and also apparently they are rained in and are being told to conserve food.

they are all SV techbros though so if anyone at burning man was in any danger they would be airdropping in food supplies and hospitality staff along with care packages of Adderall

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
In addition to tennis players getting sick at the US Open, an MLB team acknowledges Covid is not over - I'm sure this has made some Twitter users Very Mad.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2023/09/02/covid-19-outbreak-injury-claim-two-more-cincinnati-reds-starters/70754320007/

quote:

MLB’s first team COVID-19 outbreak of the season claimed Sunday’s scheduled starter when left-hander Brandon Williamson tested positive and became the fourth Reds pitcher to land on the 7-day COVID IL in two days — joining reliever Fernando Cruz and starters Hunter Greene and Ben Lively.

Bell said it’s impossible to know whether the Reds are out of the woods yet with the outbreak or even exactly how quickly some of the pitchers with COVID might take to return.

“These guys that are out, they’re out,” he said. “They’re feeling bad.”

Greene was still in San Francisco, Bell said, staying active while isolated from the team and “progressing.”

It’s also unclear how many players or staff might be impacted.

“I don’t know,” said Bell, who said at least two members of the support staff, but no on-field coaches, are among those who have tested positive. “These guys (on the IL) are the ones that are really feeling bad, and they were tested, and we were able to replace them and get players that are ready to play.”

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Stay safe Lacrosse :ohdear:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

text editor posted:

Apparently the ebola thing is fake but one person so far has died at the event so far, and also apparently they are rained in and are being told to conserve food.

they are all SV techbros though so if anyone at burning man was in any danger they would be airdropping in food supplies and hospitality staff along with care packages of Adderall

It’s real actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The most likely possibility beyond bog (lol) standard shite germs and covid is the monkeypox making a return, since those symptoms sound a lot like that?