Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (September 5, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

Skippy's Own Book of Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
you know, it's funny how the Lockhorns aren't all lovey dovey with each other, but they seem to still enjoy time together. compared to Dustin's parents. or the parents in FOOB.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I realise it's hasty to say this based on only one strip, and I know that their previous comics have not built much of a reputation for quality, but.

Maybe they should have given the new Popeye job to Patrick McDonnell?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I can’t believe I smiled at a Mutts strip.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

you know, it's funny how the Lockhorns aren't all lovey dovey with each other, but they seem to still enjoy time together. compared to Dustin's parents. or the parents in FOOB.

Legit would rather have the Lockhorns as my parents before either of those two options and it's not even close.

...Though I'd still take the FOOB or Dustin parents before the freaks in 9CL.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was not expecting Popeye tabletop. :)

Dungeonsk an' drag-inks?

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 3, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Poil posted:

I was not expecting Popeye tabletop. :)

Dungeonsk an' drag-inks?

Surprised it took this long. Miholland used to do that a lot in S*P.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 30, 2001)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8-dzxTsA0M

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Kennel posted:

Kevin & Kell

Hold on, this is Oglaf not K&K?

Fake edit: and yet it fits so well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I almost didn't recognize it without the genitals

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Scareodeleria (Nov 3, 2003)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Imagine a newspaper doing sunday strips with Oglaf.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Angry Salami posted:

"I didn't lie to you, I just found the corpse of your date and wore it like a suit to conceal my identity!"
yeag.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Took me forever to spot the last secret symbol, right there in plain sight. (Olive herself -- her image counts just like an "O2".) Also, I guess canonically the bunny has bones in his ears.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Wow, huge racist slam on humans out of nowhere!

FoxTrot

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

Took me forever to spot the last secret symbol, right there in plain sight. (Olive herself -- her image counts just like an "O2".) Also, I guess canonically the bunny has bones in his ears.

The o2 is directly underneath the pie slice.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I say submit it.

Hippocrass posted:

The o2 is directly underneath the pie slice.
He sometimes repeats secret symbols in one cartoon. I'm pretty sure Powered Descent is right. I couldn't find more than 8 until they suggested what they did.

F Minus

"I think I'll order the clams, you?"

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Go ahead and file a suit in court, rear end in a top hat.

Andertoons[/b

][b]Flash Gordon

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

It’s so goofy to have the “writer” of the strip step back and say “I have no idea what’s going on here” but I can’t help but like it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

It’s so goofy to have the “writer” of the strip step back and say “I have no idea what’s going on here” but I can’t help but like it.
Yeah I also like that they seem to be overlapping the Sunday and weekday storylines for this one.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just as it seems like the storyline is about to finally end, Old Man Mozz appears in Falk's office and tells him that this is merely one of many visions of the future that all lead to the same destination...

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Doomykins posted:

I always forget to include it in consideration of IPs taken up by new artists but Modern Prince Valiant makes a heroic effort to walk alongside Hal Foster's timeless art. :3: What a lovely strip this one is with the night time lighting and I love Val's posture in the last frame telling you exactly how he feels.

I was unaware 'Swamp Thing' was a mood

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Haifisch posted:

Just as it seems like the storyline is about to finally end, Old Man Mozz appears in Falk's office and tells him that this is merely one of many visions of the future that all lead to the same destination...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think my favorite bit there is that the Ghost Who Falks is somehow drawing a comic strip with a typewriter.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Julet Esqu posted:

Countdown until we see April sitting outside the grocery store by herself with a box labeled FREE PUPPIES

yeah, uh, hold that thought

Huxley posted:

I'd be happy to lump this in with A+J posting while you're gone.

A+J

ADMIT IT: Every single one of us thought of A+J when learning of the passing of Jimmy Buffet.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Fair

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Go ahead and file a suit in court, rear end in a top hat.

Yep, I'll have the marshall deliver your royalty check

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtJUHGjVm0E

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
In Breaking Cat News:

Georgia Dunn posted:

Good thoughts and prayers for a dignified gentleman who is at the emergency vet for some undignified tummy troubles. (Appetite good, eating, drinking, peeing… just something is quite off at the moment, poor dude.) ❤️🙏🏻❤️

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Doomykins posted:

I always forget to include it in consideration of IPs taken up by new artists but Modern Prince Valiant makes a heroic effort to walk alongside Hal Foster's timeless art. :3: What a lovely strip this one is with the night time lighting and I love Val's posture in the last frame telling you exactly how he feels.

Yeah, due to the way that newspaper comics have been smushed and all that I think it's just impossible to get real Hal Foster detail, but they absolutely work with what they have and do it well. The colours are a bit bright on the digital version sometimes, but a while ago during a discussion about that someone found it in an actual newspaper and it looks even better there.

Aww, poor guy.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 5/14-16/51

Archie 1/29-31/48

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Good luck with your weird poops, little dude!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (December 17-20, 2002)

First appearance: Amy Chilton! Not Beckwith-Chilton yet, as at this point she mostly just tolerates Ryan.

Len is a dirty old man.

Ending this arc on a Christmas miracle. Zombie Shelley adventures return tomorrow, assuming nobody tells me to gently caress off and stop posting this.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (December 17-20, 2002)

First appearance: Amy Chilton! Not Beckwith-Chilton yet, as at this point she mostly just tolerates Ryan.

Len is a dirty old man.

Ending this arc on a Christmas miracle. Zombie Shelley adventures return tomorrow, assuming nobody tells me to gently caress off and stop posting this.

I'm liking it, thanks for posting it!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

holbrook, one of the other famous things about chameleons is how their eyes are located on the side of the head for panoramic vision.

thisusedyet posted:

I was unaware 'Swamp Thing' was a mood
it's where you're amazing and you fight everything nasty.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress on, keep posting it! :hehe:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
jesus gently caress spoiler that topless Ed poo poo!

oh dear god he looks like mitch mcconnell.

I already dislike most of Retail minus Lunker, but there have been times I bought poo poo for myself to use at work. A boxcutter was one. Hand sanitizer was another, as the kind my manager bought left a glue-like film on your hands. Same with facemasks: the ones they gave us were cheap and didn't fit most faces. Yeah it sucks, but the cutter is mine, the hand sanitizer was just for me to use, same with the facemasks. I remember someone else having their own standing desk in the office, and when they left, they took the desk with them, to management's shock.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cowslips Warren posted:

jesus gently caress spoiler that topless Ed poo poo!

oh dear god he looks like mitch mcconnell.

I already dislike most of Retail minus Lunker, but there have been times I bought poo poo for myself to use at work. A boxcutter was one. Hand sanitizer was another, as the kind my manager bought left a glue-like film on your hands. Same with facemasks: the ones they gave us were cheap and didn't fit most faces. Yeah it sucks, but the cutter is mine, the hand sanitizer was just for me to use, same with the facemasks. I remember someone else having their own standing desk in the office, and when they left, they took the desk with them, to management's shock.

oh yeah we had good box cutters where i worked but i didn't care enough to figure out where the night shift guy hid them so i just brought one of the little like 1.5 inch blade pocket knives i have because no one cared about that and it could be mine

occasionally someone would buy cleaning supplies with their own money in a pinch but that was reimbursed if you brought the receipt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Kazinsal posted:

Please keep at it. I enjoyed these 20 years ago, and it’s been interesting to see how they hold up. It feels like a much slighter thing now — more hectically paced than I remember, jokier and less consequential than the later stuff — but the fundamentals are there and it still feels worth reading. And he’s going to keep evolving it through the entire run, so that should be fun to watch.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 4, 2023