Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Anyone who's still in or has been in the last few years: is UNREP breakaway music still a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Madurai posted:

Anyone who's still in or has been in the last few years: is UNREP breakaway music still a thing?

As of 2020 yes? We also passed cookies and other things.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Madurai posted:

Yes. It's one of the few chances a CO has to show how cool they are. :c00lbert:

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
It is! We would have some fun with our music, especially since several of our UNREPs this past year have been with other NATO countries.

I think the only one we didn't do a song for was our Artic UNREP, but that's because everyone was exhausted.

One of my COs would play Metallica before our UNREPs to let everyone know to get on station. Usually there would there be an announcement prior and then the music. One time, the OOD just played the music and forgot to make the announcement.

The CO and XO had never seen the ship get ready for an UNREP so quickly.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Our breakaway song was The Final Countdown and it was a bad choice imo

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

We always broke away to Cocaine, we knew what we were doing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its all dad rock all the way down and it suckkkkkks

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
We deployed to West Africa twice and I tried very hard to make a Dead Milkman song that is not cool to say anymore our song but the rest of the first class mess voted Africa by Toto because they all suck

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Our Battlestations song was America, gently caress Yeah

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flyinglemur posted:

We deployed to West Africa twice and I tried very hard to make a Dead Milkman song that is not cool to say anymore our song but the rest of the first class mess voted Africa by Toto because they all suck

Does the song involve going to the zoo?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Hey all,

Been a long time since I've posted here. Left Hawaii in 2015(first station), did a precom, caught the big sad, got 2x NJP's as IT1. Frist was handing another IT1 a clipboard "aggressively" and that was disrespect to an NCO, despite us being peers. 2nd was for telling POOW not to call me at 4am for bullshit reports on gear temps well within spec. Prestiged back to IT2 in 2020, PCSed back to Hawaii to the worst IT command in the Navy. Caught an XOI for joking that a BB gun would keep feral cats off a guys convertible in a private facebook group, demanded CM and they dropped it, was about to be ad-sepped for 3 NJP's in as many years. (rear end in a top hat peta member reported the comment to Navy IG and everyone ran with it). Got referred to MH for a few years and they determined that it wasn't just the big sad, that I'd actually had enough of the bullshit and lost my mind. So in April this year I was medically retired for bipolar disorder. VA was handled during my medboard process and I came out of it about as well as I could have. Found out in May that I'd actually picked IT1 back up first time with nothing but 3.0 evals since the NJP. Command felt that I didnt deserve anything but a 3.0 since I was being med boarded. Doesn't really matter and I wouldn't want my ID card or DD214 updated to reflect E6 anyways as golf and cabins/hotels are cheaper as E5 anyways. But it was a nice final gently caress you. All in all the Navy seemed to gently caress me constantly after my first tour, the only good thing was it put me in great places to enjoy life outside of the Navy. San Diego was awesome, won the majority of PCA Concours shows in So Cal and Vegas in 2019, won the only show in 2020 before the plague. Hawaii has been pretty dope, still working IT on the civilian side. It feels so good to not have to deal with the daily BS of Navy life.

Arione fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 31, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Arione posted:

Hey all,

Been along time since I've posted here. Left Hawaii in 2015(first station), did a precom, caught the big sad, got 2x NJP's as IT1. Frist was handing another IT1 a clipboard "aggressively" and that was disrespect to an NCO, despite us being peers. 2nd was for telling POOW not to call me at 4am for bullshit reports on gear temps well within spec. Prestiged back to IT2 in 2020, PCSed back to Hawaii to the worst IT command in the Navy. Caught an XOI for joking that a BB gun would keep feral cats off a guys convertible in a private facebook group, demanded CM and they dropped it, was about to be ad-sepped for 3 NJP's in as many years. (rear end in a top hat peta member reported the comment to Navy IG and everyone ran with it). Got referred to MH for a few years and they determined that it wasn't just the big sad, that I'd actually had enough of the bullshit and lost my mind. So in April this year I was medically retired for bipolar disorder. VA was handled during my medboard process and I came out of it about as well as I could have. Found out in May that I'd actually picked IT1 back up first time with nothing but 3.0 evals since the NJP. Command felt that I didnt deserve anything but a 3.0 since I was being med boarded. Doesn't really matter and I wouldn't want my ID card or DD214 updated to reflect E6 anyways as golf and cabins/hotels are cheaper as E5 anyways. But it was a nice final gently caress you. All in all the Navy seemed to gently caress me constantly after my first tour, the only good thing was it put me in great places to enjoy life outside of the Navy. San Diego was awesome, won the majority of PCA Concours shows in So Cal and Vegas in 2019, won the only show in 2020 before the plague. Hawaii has been pretty dope, still working IT on the civilian side. It feels so good to not have to deal with the daily BS of Navy life.

"Welcome Aboard"

Well it sounds like you got the full navy experience. Hope you enjoy civilian life and have a healthy + fruitful transition. The first year after I got separated was one of my happiest in living memory.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ooph well great job landing on your feet!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arione posted:

Hey all,

Been a long time since I've posted here. Left Hawaii in 2015(first station), did a precom, caught the big sad, got 2x NJP's as IT1. Frist was handing another IT1 a clipboard "aggressively" and that was disrespect to an NCO, despite us being peers. 2nd was for telling POOW not to call me at 4am for bullshit reports on gear temps well within spec. Prestiged back to IT2 in 2020, PCSed back to Hawaii to the worst IT command in the Navy. Caught an XOI for joking that a BB gun would keep feral cats off a guys convertible in a private facebook group, demanded CM and they dropped it, was about to be ad-sepped for 3 NJP's in as many years. (rear end in a top hat peta member reported the comment to Navy IG and everyone ran with it). Got referred to MH for a few years and they determined that it wasn't just the big sad, that I'd actually had enough of the bullshit and lost my mind. So in April this year I was medically retired for bipolar disorder. VA was handled during my medboard process and I came out of it about as well as I could have. Found out in May that I'd actually picked IT1 back up first time with nothing but 3.0 evals since the NJP. Command felt that I didnt deserve anything but a 3.0 since I was being med boarded. Doesn't really matter and I wouldn't want my ID card or DD214 updated to reflect E6 anyways as golf and cabins/hotels are cheaper as E5 anyways. But it was a nice final gently caress you. All in all the Navy seemed to gently caress me constantly after my first tour, the only good thing was it put me in great places to enjoy life outside of the Navy. San Diego was awesome, won the majority of PCA Concours shows in So Cal and Vegas in 2019, won the only show in 2020 before the plague. Hawaii has been pretty dope, still working IT on the civilian side. It feels so good to not have to deal with the daily BS of Navy life.

Greetings and salutations fellow veteran!

I have to ask- do you have a good medication regime for Bipolar? Out of all the health fights I’ve had Bipolar was the hardest thing for me to work on.

If the USN didn’t do a great job and the VA didn’t either shoot me a PM and I can tell you a few things I’ve figured out along the way. (If you haven’t had a grippy socks vacation yet, consider yourself blessed)

Glad to see you are no longer in the navy, don’t stay gone for years at a time again man!

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Greetings and salutations fellow veteran!

I have to ask- do you have a good medication regime for Bipolar? Out of all the health fights I’ve had Bipolar was the hardest thing for me to work on.

If the USN didn’t do a great job and the VA didn’t either shoot me a PM and I can tell you a few things I’ve figured out along the way. (If you haven’t had a grippy socks vacation yet, consider yourself blessed)

Glad to see you are no longer in the navy, don’t stay gone for years at a time again man!

Lamictal 200mg daily, One doc put me on god drat abilify and I gained 60 lbs within a year, needless to say I did not pass my last PRT weigh in. one before that I had a med waiver, but if you get two in a row you also get referred for a medboard, and I didnt want a medboard for being fat going on when I already had one in for BP. I did get off the abilify after stepping down for like 6 weeks, brain isnt foggy anymore either. poo poo was awful.

Makalapa MH psychologist tried to say I had like 3 diff personality disorders and consistently belittled me and kept hinting at malingering while their psychiatrist put me on BP meds immediately, and refused to formally diagnose me with anything saying I needed to keep quiet until I could EAOS. I went to patient advocacy, and got a referral to a psych out in town who diagnosed me as BP formally and I turned that into the Navy. MMH ologist called me and told me I wasnt allowed to take my new meds from the town iatrist without navy approval and I told her to gently caress off not to call me that I had fired her months earlier. Confirmed with PA that since it was an in network tricare referral, I absolutely was authorized to take the meds. MMH called me back in to do a battery of computer testing that they conveniently didnt use the first time to fight my BP diagnosis, all the tests pointed to BPD so they begrudgedly gave me to their new uniformed psych to submit and handle my medboard. It was an absolute fight to get proper care and the Navy needs to fire the 2 civilians, had multiple other shipmates complain to me about their treatment by those 2 as well, as recently as 2 days ago I had an E5 call me for assistance and advice on how to handle it.

Never had a grippy socks vacation, mostly because I let the dark poo poo stay in the dark. I'm good now though mostly. I dont deal with the VA at all, I just use tricare.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

quote:

while their psychiatrist put me on BP meds immediately, and refused to formally diagnose me with anything saying I needed to keep quiet until I could EAOS.

I got told multiple times by multiple doctors while I was on shore duty "you didn't just tell me that, that would be submarine disqualifying" (physical health issues in those cases, not mental).

After my boat hit a mountain, the psychs in Guam said "there's nothing we can do here, you'll have to wait until you're back in homeport to get care". To me, and other members of my crew, some of whom desperately needed help. They sent a loving chaplain underway with us as a "mental health resource".

Outside readily treatable ailments and routine care, the Navy's Healthcare system is worth exactly what you pay for it, loving nothing. Telling sailors they can't be helped, and treating every mental health issue like a case of malingering needs to loving stop.

Anyways, congrats on getting the gently caress out, where everyone should be.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elviscat posted:

I got told multiple times by multiple doctors while I was on shore duty "you didn't just tell me that, that would be submarine disqualifying" (physical health issues in those cases, not mental).

After my boat hit a mountain, the psychs in Guam said "there's nothing we can do here, you'll have to wait until you're back in homeport to get care". To me, and other members of my crew, some of whom desperately needed help. They sent a loving chaplain underway with us as a "mental health resource".

Outside readily treatable ailments and routine care, the Navy's Healthcare system is worth exactly what you pay for it, loving nothing. Telling sailors they can't be helped, and treating every mental health issue like a case of malingering needs to loving stop.

Anyways, congrats on getting the gently caress out, where everyone should be.

Yeah in 19 when my MH started declining my CoC had me talk to chaps once a week when he came on board for 10-15 mins. Praying the stress away and bitching about the going ons doesnt help at all.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Stultus Maximus posted:

Does the song involve going to the zoo?

:D

Arione welcome to the civilian world glad you got out alive. A lot of things are better here, some worse. Hope your transition goes smoothly.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Arione, congrats on the move to civilian life; hope the transition is smooth sailing for you. I probably missed you in my brief window in Hawaii, were you over at Pearl or in Kbay?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1697703112914452941?t=AQkBpBhD4W_JGleMpL3xaQ&s=19

Makes me think of the old Mitch Hedberg escalator joke. gently caress does it suck that he died in his 30s

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Really putting the Naval in Naval Aviator there.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Makes me think of the old Mitch Hedberg escalator joke. gently caress does it suck that he died in his 30s

loving truth.

I'm old enough that I actually got to see him live twice and I'm super thankful for that.

RIP Mitch All-Together

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
The longer I'm in, the more I'm convinced that being an officer has been the single most important factor in my getting effective healthcare.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Of course being a noble helps :colbert:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Red Crown posted:

The longer I'm in, the more I'm convinced that being an officer has been the single most important factor in my getting effective healthcare.

Thanks for reminding most of us we are peasants, haha.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My seven failed ankle surgeries due to inadequate recovery time even though they were all done on shore duty are saluting you.

With their dick.

But seriously, gently caress Navy Medicine. My final command was NMCP (First and Finest, Baby) as an STS1 SARP Counselor, which made it worse since you would think a hospital command would get it's poo poo together for one of their own but lol gently caress no.

When I went through SARP school one of the instructors was hyping us up about being part of Navy Medicine and how great it was. He told us his story about when he was sick and the civilian doctors (after he retired) told him he was going to die and there was nothing they could do. Then he went to the hospital on base in San Diego and Navy Medicine cured him.

On break I told him that he was reading the situation wrong; he was supposed to die and Navy Medicine couldn't even get THAT right.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TL:DR, the Navy is not good at medical or aftercare.

I was talking about that bullshit with one of my coworkers, who is aformer Marines, this week.

I got a hernia underway, Doc diagnosed it, as, no poo poo direct quote, "Duuuuuuude, what the gently caress is THAT?!?!?" Got imaged, diagnosed, surgical consult, ready to get it fixed.

Doc comes up to me "hey man, the command really needs you for ORSE, do you think you can make the (30 day) underway?"

I, a nub 2nd class, said I don't really wanna, but if the ship needs me...

Over the next 30 days my hernia grew from about 4" long to about 8" of intestine poking through, went from the edge of my pelvis all the way down and under.

We fail ORSE and the command refuses to grant me surgery until I copy all immediate and supplemental actions from all S&EPM and RPM casualty procedures, verbatim, by hand. (About 3 weeks of writing non-stop 12 hours a day? IDFK, the most sisyphean task I've ever been assigned.) After two weeks I finally get approval* from the CO to get surgery.

Get surgery, 14 days convalescent, 14 days LLD, including "no ladders". Get back to the boat on day 15, all but three mechanics are removed from watch, only one is qualified maintenance, I get told "we could let you off the boat for LLD but (my buddy) will be stuck on watch until you come back"

So I went climbing around the ER with my guts bouncing off a fresh surgical scar.

Sorry for another boring sea story.

*Doc went straight to the CO, CO found out ENG and XO had been blocking my medical leave, and lost his poo poo. Dude did not loving want me avoiding medical care to do dumb ORSE failure poo poo. Somewhat related CO later yelled at that ENG so hard that the ENG had a "heart(panic) attack" and had to go "recover" as WEPS on a precom.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Had a dude in my division who had a horrible limp. He had a hip problem that was known about for loving years before he got to our boat. He got to us after he had completed his shore duty and for some reason it was not taken care of then. Dude needed hip replacement surgery, bad. After being with us for 2 loving years his wife died and he finally was given clearance to go and get his hip surgery because of the leave he was getting for that.

he wasnt even a nuke just an sts.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Elviscat posted:

TL:DR, the Navy is not good at medical or aftercare.

I got 2 (two) rotator cuff repairs done as LOD injuries while in the Reserves. The second one happened right as COVID hit, so I'd only gotten 3 of 6 months of PT, and I was sitting at around 60% mobility. The NOSC proceeded to completely fail their part of the deal. Eventually, it came down to the NOSC CO, the Medical Department, me, and my SEL on the phone to try to get it straight. The CO of the NOSC said "the Navy has done a whole bunch for you, do you think you could just pay on your own for the last little bit to get you all the way?"

I was dumbfounded to the point that my SEL had to respond with "I don't think that's in the spirit of the instructions, Sir." which is far more charitable than I was going to be.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I was dumbfounded to the point that my SEL had to respond with "I don't think that's in the spirit of the instructions, Sir." which is far more charitable than I was going to be.

When I'm asked by folks what I did in the Navy, I explained it was keeping senior officers from showing their own rear end and stuff like this is a prime example. Not saying there aren't a lot of very subpar Chiefs out there but what was that O-5/O-6 thinking

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nick Soapdish posted:

what was that O-5thinking

"My Metrics!"

The resolution time for an LOD case is 180 days. We were coming up on 400+ days and 2 (two) OJAG appeals in my favor due to the NOSC's improper handling of the case and he just wanted it DONE.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
nothing about my experience in the Navy has dissuaded my opinion that the secondary purpose of the Navy is to permanently break Sailors for no good reason. the primary purpose is to enrich contractors via grift

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

nothing about my experience in the Navy has dissuaded my opinion that the secondary purpose of the Navy is to permanently break Sailors for no good reason. the primary purpose is to enrich contractors via grift

The latter, Congress forces the Navy to do, the former the Navy does because they want to, and that's how you win Freedom and Democracy Around the World.

E: My former CO, who ran a submarine into a mountain because he didn't know how to read maps, is currently one of the people in charge of keeping contractors from scamming the Navy.

SSN(X) is gonna cost $15B and have half the capability of a 774 class, somehow.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 5, 2023

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
To be fair there are times when the Navy is like "No Congress, please we actually do not need any LCS' and we should kill the program." And then Congress does a 40 ship block buy to get ship numbers up.

Or when the Navy is like "We need to decom all of the Cruisers, please they cost hundreds of millions in reparis and computer architecture upgrades" and Congress says "What we heard is decom nothing, ever."

The Cruisers that are finally getting decommed have been recommended for decommissioning for years at this point. The LCS only make sense from the standpoint of keeping shipyards open, because it turns out it's incredibly difficult and expensive to spin up a shipyard out of whole cloth. I expect that Frigates will eventually be built at two yards because really wtf else is coming out of goula besides flight threes?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Build a bunch of frigates and block III burkes, LCS are dumb as hell and a gigantic waste of time and money.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wibla posted:

Build a bunch of frigates and block III burkes, LCS are dumb as hell and a gigantic waste of time and money.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

To be fair there are times when the Navy is like "No Congress, please we actually do not need any LCS' and we should kill the program."

That was my point, the Navy would still take $infinity every year if they had their druthers, but the war nerds that run the place would buy things that make sense (and 300 megacarriers twice the size of the Ford).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Wibla posted:

The LCS has an important role as what I'll see out my bedroom window every morning if my neighbor takes out a couple more trees. Rotting in PSNS.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elviscat posted:

That was my point, the Navy would still take $infinity every year if they had their druthers, but the war nerds that run the place would buy things that make sense (and 300 megacarriers twice the size of the Ford).

I’m still waiting on my submersible carrier. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AlternateNu posted:

I’m still waiting on my submersible carrier. :colbert:

Every carrier can be a submersible once.