Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cycled on some roads this morning that have been closed to cars for months due to land slips, no problems to navigate on a bicycle though, truly the most versatile form of transport (other than legs I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

leftist heap posted:

am I being whooshed lol

no, cars put out a lot of infrasound through the ground as they move and the specifics are idistinctive to that model of vehicle and set of tires and speed, so you can isolate individual sources
its how dog can tell when a particular cars pulling up even if its electric

with the internal bike vibration all cancelled out, which you just need to know the bike's current speed, you'd just need an algorithm listening for sound increasing in both pitch and amplitude relative to your speed (bc doppler effect), then you can isolate & detect an incoming car thru the ground, and tell how rapidly it's approaching relative to your own speed, and with two wheels making contact you can determine direction, even around a blind corner etc.
measuring distance would be a lot harder but general proximity, direction, and if it's approaching or not wouldn't be. like a couple grams of wheel mass & some electronics inside the frame or seat or helmet or your phone even to process the signal

the hard part would be integrating the sensors into a tire and programming something accurate enough to not throw false positives but sensitive enough to still be useful if you're going 25-30 on a bike & not break right away
if you had a couple mics on the handlebars you could listen for wind, engine, tire sound to cross-reference and could catch stuff really well from quite a ways away - open up a spectrum analyzer app on your phone near traffic, you can see each vehicle in the frequency bands from beyond visible distance if they're hauling rear end

its less work than speech to text in terms of audio processing
idk why nobody's ever tried it

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Sep 3, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

it's pretty cool how many people choose to honk at cyclists who take the lane on narrow mountain roads when they could simply pass when safe like they would a normal motor vehicle

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I ditched the metal basket for now and switched to a pannier. I feel it works better because now I can swing my feet over the rack entirely when getting on and off. We'll see.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

FirstnameLastname posted:

no, cars put out a lot of infrasound through the ground as they move and the specifics are idistinctive to that model of vehicle and set of tires and speed, so you can isolate individual sources

with the internal bike vibration all cancelled out, which you just need to know the bike's current speed, you'd just need an algorithm listening for sound increasing in both pitch and amplitude relative to your speed (bc doppler effect), then you can isolate & detect an incoming car thru the ground, and tell how rapidly it's approaching relative to your own speed, and with two wheels making contact you can determine direction, even around a blind corner etc.
measuring distance would be a lot harder but general proximity, direction, and if it's approaching or not wouldn't be. like a couple grams of wheel mass & some electronics inside the frame or seat or helmet or your phone even to process the signal

the hard part would be integrating the sensors into a tire and programming something accurate enough to not throw false positives but sensitive enough to still be useful if you're going 25-30 on a bike & not break right away
if you had a couple mics on the handlebars you could listen for wind, engine, tire sound to cross-reference and could catch stuff really well from quite a ways away - open up a spectrum analyzer app on your phone near traffic, you can see each vehicle in the frequency bands from beyond visible distance if they're hauling rear end

I would simply turn my head slightly

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

or you could just use radar dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhRVOV09yM4

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

do bikeshare bikes usually have foot breaks?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Megamissen posted:

do bikeshare bikes usually have foot breaks?
the bikes most places in the us are using for dock-based bikeshare systems don't have coaster brakes

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

mystes posted:

the bikes most places in the us are using for dock-based bikeshare systems don't have coaster brakes

thats too bad, they are very nice

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Megamissen posted:

thats too bad, they are very nice

i disagree on both points

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Grassy Knowles posted:

i disagree on both points

why do you dislike foot breaks?
genuinly curious, the only reason ive heard (not that ive asked around) is that they are childish, which i dont care about
i guess being able to cycle backwards but that seems like a very marginal issue

mystes
May 31, 2006

Coaster brakes are heavier and they aren't good to rely on as the sole brakes because they won't work if the chain pops off and it's not possible to brake quickly with only a rear brake but on something like a cruiser bike if there is also a front rim brake I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with them

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Also it's cool to pedal backwards

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've rented beach cruisers with foot brakes. Do they handle salt and rust better? Or are they cheaper/easier to maintain?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've rented beach cruisers with foot brakes. Do they handle salt and rust better? Or are they cheaper/easier to maintain?
I don't think either of those things is necessarily true to a significant degree. Maybe they're a little bit easier than keeping rim brakes maintained if you want them perfectly dialed in? But you should always have a front brake anyway and keeping a rear rim brake working as well as a coaster brake isn't at all difficult.

But casual riding on a single speed/IGH (you can't use them with derailleurs) bike that's already fairly heavy on flat terrain is probably where they're most suitable so a lot of beach cruisers traditionally come with them.

Probably the fact that most bikes in the US either come with derailleurs and a lot of those that don't are single speed bikes with convertible single speed/fixed gear hubs is the biggest reason you don't see them more, plus they do have some downsides in terms of control/modulating braking power (I'm not sure you would want to use them if you're going down hills a lot)

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Sep 3, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Megamissen posted:

why do you dislike foot breaks?
genuinly curious, the only reason ive heard (not that ive asked around) is that they are childish, which i dont care about
i guess being able to cycle backwards but that seems like a very marginal issue

Coaster brakes are drum brakes, so you don't have a lot of control over how hard you're braking, and if you're going down a long hill it's absolutely possible to overheat them. A lot of bikeshare bikes have front and rear drum brakes with brake levers, I'm guessing because they're lower maintenance for something that lives outside in the rain, but I hate them so much.

The scariest thing I've done on a bike in the last few years was bombing a hill on a bikeshare bike that had drum brakes, and then realizing that they were overheating and losing braking power while the bike still wasn't stopped as I tried to slow at the bottom.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
everything they said plus
- if a coaster brake fails your entire braking mechanism is gone if a handle brake fails you still have another 2-3 pads to rely upon.
- maintenance is far easier when that failure occurs which means higher availability for bicycles in the system

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Coaster brakes are the default in Copenhagen, but it's also been legally mandated for ages that all bikes must have two working brakes, so everyone also has a V or disc brake. I only got my derailer bike a few years ago, and honestly it's not a big deal either way in flat terrain. We don't really do hills though.

Internal gears have a huge advantage in that you can put a little cage around the chain so your loose pants don't get caught. Commuters care about this.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BonHair posted:

Internal gears have a huge advantage in that you can put a little cage around the chain so your loose pants don't get caught. Commuters care about this.
Someday when I make it big I'm going to get one of these bad boys:

https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I changed the chain on my new bike for the first time ever and it works I didn't even gently caress it up

feelin very accomplished rn

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'd go for a ride about it but it's a zillion gorillion degrees out

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

BonHair posted:

I just roll up a pant leg and then forget to roll it back down so all of my coworkers think I have some sort of gang affiliation. Yeah I have a gang affiliation. The no car gang.

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Sep 3, 2023

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
You gotta make sure you're comparing a proper coaster brake made to stop a big full size adult, too, and those are way bigger, heavier and more expensive than the little kids ones that also get used on cruisers, since beach bikes aren't usually getting ridden that fast or hard.

The Shimano rollerbrakes (an external drum brake) you see on bikeshare cycles are actually pretty good and make maintenance super easy because you can just bolt on a fresh unit and take the old one away to rebuild it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I changed the chain on my new bike for the first time ever and it works I didn't even gently caress it up

feelin very accomplished rn

hell yeah! nicely done, i am Not Great at chains and tubes

my current repair list:

figure out two replacement dynamos for my LED rollerskate wheels

clean the suede on the boots of said rollerskates

might as well clean and lube my bearings while I’m at it

put my kona back together so I dont have to pay to cycle, dont have to worry about specific maintenance to travel in rain, and to feel the comfort of a fixie once again

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
What's the point of coaster brakes now that disc brakes are so common? I'd take a cable disc brake over a drum brake.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I just roll up a pant leg and then forget to roll it back down so all of my coworkers think I have some sort of gang affiliation. Yeah I have a gang affiliation. The no car gang.

It's just easier if you never have to do anything and also some pants don't do rolling because of stiffness or slipperyness. I actually have little snap bracelets for my pants now, but I've also done pant leg in sock a lot.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

i just use my ears

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hand brakes ftw cuz i can drag a foot if i want to destroy my sneakers without sacrificing the ability to brake

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Vancouver bikeshare bikes are unbelievably bad, and are basically unrideable if you're over 5'10"
...Are they different from the Toronto ones? I'm 6' and can ride them comfortably at their highest settings. One particular variant seems a bit shorter, but it's still okay.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Twerk from Home posted:

Coaster brakes are drum brakes, so you don't have a lot of control over how hard you're braking, and if you're going down a long hill it's absolutely possible to overheat them. A lot of bikeshare bikes have front and rear drum brakes with brake levers, I'm guessing because they're lower maintenance for something that lives outside in the rain, but I hate them so much.

The scariest thing I've done on a bike in the last few years was bombing a hill on a bikeshare bike that had drum brakes, and then realizing that they were overheating and losing braking power while the bike still wasn't stopped as I tried to slow at the bottom.

i go down long hills (regularly over 100m height differance) a lot and never noticed any issues
i also feel like i have better control with it than the front wheel hand break, you cant break as hard but when lightly breaking it feels much better and i can easily get the right amount of pressure on the pedal to have a smooth ride downhill at a speed im comfortable with

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Coaster brakes suck because if I stop pedaling and accidentally swing my foot backwards just a little bit I start braking. I'd rather coast normally and use hand brakes

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Vancouver bikeshare bikes are unbelievably bad, and are basically unrideable if you're over 5'10"

Good, everyone over 5'10" should be made to suffer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I'm guessing eminent domain is a lot easier to use in China

Yeah, that's probably it. American politicians would love to use eminent domain to build rail infrastructure. The rules are just too strict!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

oh that's neat I didn't know those existed lol, i figured radar would be too difficult to package or have issues irradiating nutsacks or something

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I rode with a guy who has one of those and it was really slick.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The main annoyance is you either need to use a cellphone app (with your phone mounted to your bike to actually get the most useful information from it) or own a bike computer to use with it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mystes posted:

The main annoyance is you either need to use a cellphone app (with your phone mounted to your bike to actually get the most useful information from it) or own a bike computer to use with it

As opposed to

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I guess it could beep really loudly?

mystes
May 31, 2006

As opposed to turning your head or using a mirror?

Or keeping your phone in your pocket and it beeping, but then you don't get the information about car distance and number of cars that actually makes varia potentially worth the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mystes posted:

As opposed to turning your head or using a mirror?

Or it beeping, but then you don't get the information about car distance and number of cars that actually makes varia potentially better than using a mirror.

oh sorry I thought you were saying there would be a better way to like... display and communicate information from a radar sensor lol. an implant in my head? some sort of helmet interface?