Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hyaku Shiki is gaudy and sometimes hideous and that's why it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

ZZ is a mess but it has very high highs and low lows. Judau is one of the best protagonists of the entire franchise, the ZZ is a hideous abomination. I like the series a lot but it is very messy. Still much better then Victory.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I haven't watched any Gundam but Armored Core 6 has me wanting more mecha. Doesn't have to be the same dystopian vibe but I'm not against it either.

Should I go with what the OP says to start with or is there something newer that'd be a good starting point?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Brandfarlig posted:

I haven't watched any Gundam but Armored Core 6 has me wanting more mecha. Doesn't have to be the same dystopian vibe but I'm not against it either.

Should I go with what the OP says to start with or is there something newer that'd be a good starting point?

Be prepared to be recommended nearly everything in the franchise. The main series is Universal Century (UC) while alternate continuities (AUs) are marked by their own calendar systems (Ad Stella, Correct Century, Post Disaster, etc). Pretty much all of the AU series are easy points to jump into since they're not beholden to the main continuity (with a few exceptions of sequel series to other AUs like SEED Destiny being a sequel to SEED), so you can pick whatever looks neat and give it a whirl.

For Universal Century you can still go and watch whatever suits you but it's a very long running continuity that has dozens of callbacks and character arcs that can span multiple series. I don't say that to discourage you from starting with a show like Zeta if you feel like it, just to be aware.

Some people will suggest starting with the original Gundam 0079 series. I say that's as fine a place as any but if you don't even need that if you don't want to. The most you need to get the gist of Gundam as a franchise before jumping off to watch whatever you like is the opening narration from the first episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYngLhzP6Ng

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 1, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
If someone enjoys the premise of being a dystopian supersoldier dropped into a solo contested re-entry to engage in highly aesthetic war may i suggest gundam wing

otherwise yeah just go with the op

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Mika in Ironblooded Orphans is basically playing AC6 IRL so that's a good starting point too. Very bleak to boot, too!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

If someone enjoys the premise of being a dystopian supersoldier dropped into a solo contested re-entry to engage in highly aesthetic war may i suggest gundam wing

otherwise yeah just go with the op

On the other hand, if you're looking for dystopian cyborg mercenaries working for megacorps and worrying about the budget, that's Iron Blooded Orphans.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
The first “episode” of ZZ is awkward as hell.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The recap? You don't need to watch it. Just skip it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

The recap? You don't need to watch it. Just skip it.

But then you miss Char arguing with a bunch of voiceover kids.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The recommendations in the intro are pretty good. IBO is probably the closest to AC, it's about a PMC of child soldiers that modifies their mobile suits based on the situation. 0080 is a 6 episode story that has a lot of focus on civilian life during mech warfare and spies around coloniesand is fairly subdued. Turn A is hard to describe, it's about Edwardian era aristocracies dealing with people from the moon coming down with giant robots. It's a lot more focused on trying to avoid war, and it's the best one though it's probably the least like AC. And you can always start with 0079, either the tv show or the movies. The show is better but the movies are also good

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
It’s not just a recap but a preview that reuses future clips several times and it’s also a bit, more blatantly than usual, a toy ad as well. Feels like a 22 minute ad for the show itself. Reminds me of Nintendo Directs, but it’s the actual first episode of a show. Can’t recall ever seeing anything quite like it. It’s a clip show (with some clips being from the future), ad, and recap all rolled into one.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

chrome line posted:

The recommendations in the intro are pretty good. IBO is probably the closest to AC, it's about a PMC of child soldiers that modifies their mobile suits based on the situation. 0080 is a 6 episode story that has a lot of focus on civilian life during mech warfare and spies around coloniesand is fairly subdued. Turn A is hard to describe, it's about Edwardian era aristocracies dealing with people from the moon coming down with giant robots. It's a lot more focused on trying to avoid war, and it's the best one though it's probably the least like AC. And you can always start with 0079, either the tv show or the movies. The show is better but the movies are also good

They were warned everyone would suggest everything and I’ll just go ahead and add 08th MS Team to the list. Feels like one of the more grounded (literally and figuratively) ones. I haven’t seen IBO yet, but as a fellow “war is hell” story enjoyer I’m looking forward to getting to it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

i usually like to recommend either grabbing whatever AU looks the most fun to you (probably either iron blooded orphans or witch from mercury), or trying both 0080: war in the pocket and thunderbolt: december sky for 2 easy hooks into UC that require no real previous franchise knowledge. if it matters to you, both are remarkably dark but thunderbolt is relentlessly so, while 0080 goes for more of a contrasting tones kind of deal.

from there if you decide you're in it for the long haul you can go back and watch the original mobile suit gundam, its a very old show and it's very apparent but if you stick with it it's pretty well written. if you want to commit to seeing the foundation of the franchise but not 43 episodes commit, in the particular case of the original MSG the movies are perfectly adequate in giving you what you need for broader franchise context, and are much much faster. once you've seen original MSG -> zeta gundam -> (optional zz gundam) -> char's counterattack you have all of the franchise knowledge you will ever need and can watch whatever the gently caress you feel like forever.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i usually like to recommend either grabbing whatever AU looks the most fun to you (probably either iron blooded orphans or witch from mercury), or trying both 0080: war in the pocket and thunderbolt: december sky for 2 easy hooks into UC that require no real previous franchise knowledge. if it matters to you, both are remarkably dark but thunderbolt is relentlessly so, while 0080 goes for more of a contrasting tones kind of deal.

from there if you decide you're in it for the long haul you can go back and watch the original mobile suit gundam, its a very old show and it's very apparent but if you stick with it it's pretty well written. if you want to commit to seeing the foundation of the franchise but not 43 episodes commit, in the particular case of the original MSG the movies are perfectly adequate in giving you what you need for broader franchise context, and are much much faster. once you've seen original MSG -> zeta gundam -> (optional zz gundam) -> char's counterattack you have all of the franchise knowledge you will ever need and can watch whatever the gently caress you feel like forever.

To throw out a curveball, if you like manga, there's also the Origin.

Written and illustrated by the original character designer (who was one of the main creative team members for the original show), it's a gorgeous manga that redoes the original plot with its own spin on things, and an extended backstory arc. Worth considering if you don't mind readin.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Witch from Mercury if you want to see where all those trainees keep coming from. :v

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Witch from Mercury if you want to see where all those trainees keep coming from. :v

His name was Jubeju!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1697989680959226359?s=20

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whats the difference between the two rx-94s in that pic

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

One appears to have two beam sabers on the back, and the other one has fin funnels.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Stairmaster posted:

One is just for show.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Stairmaster posted:

funnels vs incoms

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

The second is actually OTC

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

muike posted:

funnels vs incoms

It's this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They poster more pages from that Breaker Battlogue comic. Check out the detail on the Gunpla boxes, and that hyper accurate sprue

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Jeez, that looks like a parody/shitpost.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This is a cursed year for Gundam

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's so over

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

I haven't watched any Gundam but Armored Core 6 has me wanting more mecha.

If you want something close to ac6's tone Thunderbolt Gundam December Sky(2016) is your best bet. A breezy 70 minute film that doesn't require prior knowledge of the franchise

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gripweed posted:

They poster more pages from that Breaker Battlogue comic. Check out the detail on the Gunpla boxes, and that hyper accurate sprue

Char was right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Lady sporting a chin that would make the tall Peil Granny jealous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

Char was right.

Lalah could have been like a mother to him?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

chiasaur11 posted:

Lalah could have been like a mother to him?

I just wanna say, I agree with you 10 times out of 10. But I must never kinkshame Char "Quatro Bajeena" Aznable nii-san, whatta guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How do you not draw a remotely competent or recognizable Gundam in your comic about Gundam toys battling?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

The first “episode” of ZZ is awkward as hell.

Hey kids, how in-touch with our branding are you? Name all these mobile suits, available in stores now!

I still called out the names.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

How do you not draw a remotely competent or recognizable Gundam in your comic about Gundam toys battling?

I only identified the IBO design because it has those weird power button looking symbols on the knee pad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I only identified the IBO design because it has those weird power button looking symbols on the knee pad.

I can recognize them both, but only by the colors, because they're both from the Breaker Battlogue anime and that means a limited pool.

The funny thing is, the game continues past the anime, and the maker of the Livelance Heaven abandons it pretty much immediately in favor of the Code Sora, a Gundam based on some fake designs created to protect against leaks during preproduction for G-Reco. Meaning that the comic is, in addition to looking ugly, apparently breaking continuity with the previous stuff, when one of the few selling points is being a continuation of the plot of a cancelled game that people liked.

(Not that the game didn't wrap up. The actual plot ended months before shutdown, including a last side story to all-but-confirm the main guy and the main girl were getting together, and the hero winning the big tournament. As I've said before, it was better written than I expected.)

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
baZoOoM

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gotta admit it feels completely on brand for Bandai Namco to follow up one of the more successful Gundam in years with a series of mind boggling decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the FAZZ looks better than the base ZZ.