Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well I wondered how they were going to gently caress up biovores and we have the answer. Dumb bullshit spore mine shenanigans stay in the game but you can only spawn one per turn across the entire army. I don't want to be doing that with spore mines it's dumb. Why was that a better fix than removing the shenanigans and letting me go ape poo poo with barfing up mines everywhere and using them like.....mines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Paragon8 posted:

I'd probably try and keep it internally consistent but there's a lot of room for variety within a loose scheme. Like mixing in some purple units to complement the pink could be fun.

I do like a good story about tracking down accurate colors or doing the research. You can get down a real rabbit hole with how pigments break down over time so even if you found a genuine piece of some ww2 plane that color would be different or a museum repainting something in the 60s ends up confusing the historical record.

Even with the Star Wars modelling it gets really silly when they were making the models it would be off the rack paints they bought locally without really thinking it through but now modellers are researching what brands were sold near ILM during that time period to get the color charts and trying to find people that still had cans in their garage or whatever to get swatches from.

I seem to recall this applies heavily to Napoleonic’s, where the unit colors are often described/shown are parade colors. But the kind of dyes and paints that would be used at the time would fade rapidly during a campaign, so very few armies in the field would have those same colors for long. Instead of the bright reds and indigos that are often shown, the armies would have a much more faded and my muted color, to say nothing of scavenging kit and trying to keep up supply for long campaigns.

So especially for forces that work on campaigns, like chaos or crusades, feel free to have lots of variation in styles and colors

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Just got my tyranid order in, got codex, emissary, biovore x2, and deathleaper. Local store does 15% off on preorders!

I originally played in 2003/4 but stopped until earlier this year when my best friend started an ork army. I've been repainting stuff very slowly, but my painting is a lot better now than it used to be. And since I got Leviathan, I've quickly amassed a considerable Space Marine army, which I went with the Dark Krakens successor chapter of the Salamanders. Here's my first complete Marine!

OgreNoah fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 2, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oooo black and purple looks so good on a termie, great chapter pick

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Pretty surprising how many people here have come back from a gap since 3rd edition

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I meant to post a picture of my tyranid scheme, which is a winter theme. This is my Leviathan Screamer-Killer with a spare head from the tyrannofex cause the screamer-killer head is awful and not nearly menacing enough.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Pretty surprising how many people here have come back from a gap since 3rd edition

I'd be willing to bet a lot of the people coming back were roughly highschool/early college age when 3rd edition was out and are now hitting middle age. It's also roughly in line with a typical nostalgia cycle of around 20-30 years. Kind of a perfect storm for getting back into a hobby of this kind.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'd be willing to bet a lot of the people coming back were roughly highschool/early college age when 3rd edition was out and are now hitting middle age. It's also roughly in line with a typical nostalgia cycle of around 20-30 years. Kind of a perfect storm for getting back into a hobby of this kind.

I got into it as a teen in 5th edition around 2008, took a break around early 7th and now I've been dragged back in

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For me it was something my friend group did in highschool and I grew apart from them, but now as an adult I'm much more willing to play pick up games with strangers. Also, I bet a lot of lapsed fans like me weren't entirely ignorant of the state of the game and GW, I know I'd been getting more and more likely to come back ever since plastic sisters and Kill Team 2.0 launched, you could tell the company was improving.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I think GW did a preview of the new termagant loadout options at some point -- like, an actual pic of the back side of the new codex datasheet -- but I can't find it. Is it that out of ten termagants, one can take a shardlauncher, one can take a spike rifle, and one can take a strangleweb, for a total of three special weapons per ten 'gants, or is it one special weapon per ten 'gants and you have to choose which?

(Trying to figure out whether it's practical to back-fill the missing special weapon slots in the twenty termagants from the Leviathan box with a single new box of termagants, since the box comes with one shardlauncher, one spike rifle, and one strangleweb.)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Stephenls posted:

I think GW did a preview of the new termagant loadout options at some point -- like, an actual pic of the back side of the new codex datasheet -- but I can't find it. Is it that out of ten termagants, one can take a shardlauncher, one can take a spike rifle, and one can take a strangleweb, for a total of three special weapons per ten 'gants, or is it one special weapon per ten 'gants and you have to choose which?

(Trying to figure out whether it's practical to back-fill the missing special weapon slots in the twenty termagants from the Leviathan box with a single new box of termagants, since the box comes with one shardlauncher, one spike rifle, and one strangleweb.)

I'm 90% sure it was one of each per 10 gaunts.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yeah, started playing around 96, stopped around 2005. I was in highschool at that point and had gotten my first real job. A lot of things started to compete for my money, dating and weed beat warhammer by a long shot. The pandemic combined with getting to a point in my career where I had money to spare and stability, plus nothing to go out and spend it on got me back in. I think I'm in a place where I can really truly enjoy the hobby. I do play the game, but converting and painting are just such a great way to relax in the evening.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

ro5s posted:

I'm 90% sure it was one of each per 10 gaunts.

I guess this'll just bother me forever then. Damnit. At least kitbashing an underslung grenade launcher on the Dark Imperium Intercessors was easy.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stephenls posted:

I guess this'll just bother me forever then. Damnit. At least kitbashing an underslung grenade launcher on the Dark Imperium Intercessors was easy.
They said it was an extra upgrade sprue for the push-fit termagants so I’m sure you’ll be able to pick them up separately on eBay soon enough.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yup, I played 2nd and 3rd as a kid, made half-hearted attempts to get back in a couple different times, but have been orbiting more closely from 8th ed onward.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

It is still wild to me how many of the models you just straight up can't find anywhere right now. Is this a post-covid thing or? Seems like the last thing you'd want to do is launch a new codex and not have all the range available.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Prefect Six posted:

It is still wild to me how many of the models you just straight up can't find anywhere right now. Is this a post-covid thing or? Seems like the last thing you'd want to do is launch a new codex and not have all the range available.

Pick N' Mix your reasons as being:
1. covid supply chain woes
2. GW can't forecast for poo poo
3. they'd rather under produce and avoid idle factory space or excess warehouse space holding product that doesn't sell
4. related to #2, GW doesn't know what will be powerful units so can't predict what units people will want to buy
5. lil bit of gently caress you

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
6. aware of all these faults, GW overproduced leviathan and starter sets going into early 10th at the expense of basically everything else

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I genuinely wonder if overproducing leviathan paid off for them, it seems like battle report youtube channels and twitch streams are really popular now so maybe.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

I genuinely wonder if overproducing leviathan paid off for them, it seems like battle report youtube channels and twitch streams are really popular now so maybe.

Thing is while everyone here sees GW as some sort of juggernaut corporation, and relative to other miniature companies they are, in reality they aren't that big.

To put in perspective the company I work for isn't anywhere near as profitable as GW but the revenue is nearly three times GW revenue. We are a retailer that moves much higher volumes of stock. GW's HQ is an office building stapled onto the side of their factory in Nottingham, my company has a large office in one UK location and a smaller head office in London.

Last year I found that about 5% of our stock every year just straight up ends up in the wrong place and no one had even realised. Our team that buys in all our products is complete shite at doing any sort of forecasting, I've not really had a proper look but I don't think they even consider stock in the business when they buy for a new season of stuff.

GW stung themselves with Indomitus not because it sold out, but because they were dumb enough to insist everyone could get a copy if they wanted one. They did this when lots of people were stuck at home looking for hobbies to do. So they either had to disrupt their entire production schedule or look like complete dicks and they chose the former.

I wouldn't put the overproduction of leviathan (if it even has been overproduced? Are people seeing leviathan sets everywhere unsold?) down to a deliberate choice with a lot of data behind it. I'd imagine it's a swinging of the pendulum the other way as a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

The reality is as a company they have way too many SKUs for the production they can do. It's too easy for individual things to go out of stock and them not to have time to run a small batch to restock with peaks in demand because they are still relatively niche. They realise this which is why they are doing the range rotation thing and finally shipping a load of first born stuff into the sunset with legends.

Then they bring out like 6 new units for the Tyranids and marines so it's two steps forward one step back lol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kitchner posted:

I wouldn't put the overproduction of leviathan (if it even has been overproduced? Are people seeing leviathan sets everywhere unsold?) down to a deliberate choice with a lot of data behind it. I'd imagine it's a swinging of the pendulum the other way as a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

this is a good post overall but yeah, you can still find leviathan on shelves some places. I don't think it was overproduced, though, just actually nicely matched to demand in a way that 90% of their line never is

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
GW do like a supermarket aisle worth of SKUs for their one product which is pretty crazy.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
After the Leviathan launch happened, GW released a bunch of extra stock to 3rd party retailers. That's probably from customers ordering a copy direct with GW as insurance, then cancelling the order once they secured a discounted one elsewhere.

Something I noticed (at least in the UK) is that many of the retailers like Wayland and Dark Sphere have now sold through all of their extra copies. The exceptions I found are Element Games (who still list 10+ copies of Leviathan at full price rather than their usual 15-20% discount), and my local hobby store who never updates their website has around 4-5 boxes left on shelves.

I'm sure there's still plenty of Leviathan stock around but it's mostly going to be in smaller shops with less online presence.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bandai has been having similar issues with its gundams, its a tricky logistics challenge to continually produce new product and also service an extensive back catalogue as well especially when you're running your factories 24/7 and probably have a 2-3 year pipeline of kits ready to go.

LEGO is probably the other comparable toy company and they cycle sets out pretty aggressively and they have the benefit of parts being able to be used across sets.

It definitely feels like they got leviathan mostly right even if they lost out on sales of other boxes that had limited production runs like the kill team stuff.

The other big problem is just the high pressure FOMO that you *have* to buy release weekend. Like the tantrums people threw with the Lion release and now you can just get one off the shelf no problem at all.

GW could have certainly communicated about shortages better and the Cursed City and Indomitus issues really burned a lot of customers. Its never a great feeling to want to buy something and it not being available but generally it will come back in stock.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There was one release a while back that was also a print-on-demand type thing. They basically gave a two week window where anyone who wanted the thing would get it. (I think it was the cursed city reprint?)

So they know it's a problem and they have a solution that works for the customers, but for some (presumably internal) reason they've only ever done it once.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

moths posted:

So they know it's a problem and they have a solution that works for the customers, but for some (presumably internal) reason they've only ever done it once.

The reason for that is fairly obvious - they have a surprisingly small amount of machines (iirc it was like 8?). These machines are cranking out sprues all day every day. Switching them from one sprue to another takes a significant amount of time. The production schedule for these machines is worked out months in advance.

If they do a print on demand thing, they can't plan around it. They don't know how much they'll get in advance. And if it's a snap decision like with Indomitus, it means that the rest of the production schedule gets all hosed up.

It is really hard for them to react to surprising demand peaks. For instance, every Arbites box in existance was probably pressed all in one go like two years ago. There was one machine cranking out Arbites sprues for a couple of weeks, and then those sprues were packed into boxes. Someone had figured that a cute little Kill Team of space cops would sell X amount of units, and they produced those in advance.

Then whoops the 10th ed writers accidentally made Aribtes a super good unit for half the armies in the game and demand skyrockets. But there are still only these X amount of boxes in circulation. And they can't make more without either loving the rest of their schedule up for months (which they won't) or finding time for X more Arbites boxes like, six months down the line.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finishing up the Ork Combat Patrol and wondering what's the best Deff Dread loadout these days? 1 Skorcha + 3 Klaws? Bear in mind I don't actually care what the Combat Patrol loadout says it has.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Geisladisk posted:

The reason for that is fairly obvious - they have a surprisingly small amount of machines (iirc it was like 8?). These machines are cranking out sprues all day every day. Switching them from one sprue to another takes a significant amount of time. The production schedule for these machines is worked out months in advance.

If they do a print on demand thing, they can't plan around it. They don't know how much they'll get in advance. And if it's a snap decision like with Indomitus, it means that the rest of the production schedule gets all hosed up.

It is really hard for them to react to surprising demand peaks. For instance, every Arbites box in existance was probably pressed all in one go like two years ago. There was one machine cranking out Arbites sprues for a couple of weeks, and then those sprues were packed into boxes. Someone had figured that a cute little Kill Team of space cops would sell X amount of units, and they produced those in advance.

Then whoops the 10th ed writers accidentally made Aribtes a super good unit for half the armies in the game and demand skyrockets. But there are still only these X amount of boxes in circulation. And they can't make more without either loving the rest of their schedule up for months (which they won't) or finding time for X more Arbites boxes like, six months down the line.

Yeah this is 100% what is happening.

They are still a niche company so in the grand scheme of things the numbers produced are low enough that you can't balance it out over time. Likewise they weirdly have a product where the demand will be largely the same in every market. The Arbites are good in every country in the world.

You may only have 250,000 customers in market A and 1m in market B, but you send 4 times more to market B. These "spikes" where something is, let's say, five times more popular than anticipated happens world wide all at the same time.

The replenishment will be planned, but if they thought the stock would last 6 months and it lasted 1 month, well there's not much you can do unless you disrupt your entire manufacturing schedule for the sake of one meta unit which may not be meta in 3 months time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Did they even release any new Marine units this run? For Marines the closest we get are jump intercessors, and with Assaults officially sunset they're basically a full replacement for that branch.

Even with Tyranids, we got 3 actual new units and 2 share a box. Compare this to the post-Indomitus launch wave and its clear they're focusing on refreshing instead of adding for these larger factions.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think the release wave for the codex is

Terminator Captain
Terminator Chaplain
Terminator Multipart
Sternguard Multipart
Command Squad
Jump Intercessors
Jump Captain
Scouts

Infernus is probably the most recent fully new unit and they didn't get a multipart kit. Just the push fit but there are a few unique ones in the paint sets and free store mini.

Desolators and the CCW dread were a bit of a weird release a few months prior to Leviathan.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kitchner posted:

The reality is as a company they have way too many SKUs for the production they can do. It's too easy for individual things to go out of stock and them not to have time to run a small batch to restock with peaks in demand because they are still relatively niche. They realise this which is why they are doing the range rotation thing and finally shipping a load of first born stuff into the sunset with legends.

I work for a company very similar in size to GW and their production issues are absolutely mindboggling to me. We offer way more SKUs than them, requiring much longer cycle times with peaky demands that can be hard to predict, and yet we are never out of stock for our customers. We do try to maintain high levels of inventory because thats what you have to do for the customer. I think GW is just bad at the production side of things.

We have our own molding floor and invested in an in-house mold shop which is the likely difference. And GW should really do the same -- you bring the profits inhouse and you short the mold lead times from a year to 2-3 months (time is money), plus can be much more responsive. Their sprues are smaller than ours so it can definitely be done.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Bee posted:

Did they even release any new Marine units this run? For Marines the closest we get are jump intercessors, and with Assaults officially sunset they're basically a full replacement for that branch.

Even with Tyranids, we got 3 actual new units and 2 share a box. Compare this to the post-Indomitus launch wave and its clear they're focusing on refreshing instead of adding for these larger factions.

I think even GW realises at this point that there are so many Marine units that trying to come up with something new will just add something that another unit already does.

OctaMurk posted:

We have our own molding floor and invested in an in-house mold shop which is the likely difference. And GW should really do the same -- you bring the profits inhouse and you short the mold lead times from a year to 2-3 months (time is money), plus can be much more responsive. Their sprues are smaller than ours so it can definitely be done.

As I recall the biggest issue they're facing is infrastructure. They probably want to expand but also want to keep a tight grip on their things, but the issue is that Nottingham has issues supporting any expansions. I believe they've run into that issue in the past and it's still probably a huge issue.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Oh no, Marines don't get anything with their...200+ datasheets. What an absolute shame.

I think even with the new ones, Tyranids are still sub-50.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My first reaction when I saw the new Marine codex in last weeks reveal was that it looked about as thick as the core rulebook. :v:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
not including the latest reveals, marines have gotten how many brand new units so far this year? five? I don't really pay attention to them

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Geisladisk posted:

As of the 2022 annual report they have 43 injection moulding machines; I have no idea what the scale or anything is so maybe that's not as impressive as it sounds.

OctaMurk posted:

I work for a company very similar in size to GW and their production issues are absolutely mindboggling to me. We offer way more SKUs than them, requiring much longer cycle times with peaky demands that can be hard to predict, and yet we are never out of stock for our customers. We do try to maintain high levels of inventory because thats what you have to do for the customer. I think GW is just bad at the production side of things.

I am pretty sure that GW does all the design and creates the moulds in house. They definitely do CNC milling in Nottingham, and I think that is how the metal molds for plastic injection are made? I don't know what else they'd be doing with that. I think one issue they have for their production is that a lot of their paper products (boxes, cards, books) were being printed in China for cost purposes and those logistics hosed a lot of stuff up for them. They have been making an effort to centralize and in-house as much as possible; they recently in-housed their paint production with a 1000sqft facility, maybe they will get around to the paper products too.

With Brexit there is probably a limited time before GW is the majority of British manufacturing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I await the day when GW turns Nottingham into the UK's first corporate town.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I ain't saying its a bad thing. Just that it isn't one step forward, two steps back when they're actually holding themselves to not going crazy with new datasheets. Indomitus and post-Indomitus went way crazier for Marines and even Necrons compared to the more sensible Leviathan releases.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

OctaMurk posted:

To be fair don't rule out you may just work for an exceptionally competent company.

Cooked Auto posted:

I await the day when GW turns Nottingham into the UK's first corporate town.

To be fair we sort of already have a bunch of those. My business is sort of based in one.

Sometimes people (both UK and non-UK) forget that you have London with a population of 10m, then we have like 3 cities with a population of around 2m, 3 cities with a 1m population then it starts dropping off real fast.

If you are a big company and you have your office somewhere small, it seems like half the place works for you and everyone knows everyone else.

When o worked for Vodafone if you went to the Newbury campus, home of the original company and the UK base (the group HQ was London) there was a big billboard as the train pulls up saying "Welcome to Newbury, home of Vodafone!" and all the taxi drivers know exactly where to take you and there's a shuttle bus to and from the train station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The weird competing thoughts of "space marines players could stand to shut up about not getting new units" vs "there are still some really big unfilled niches compared to firstborn infantry"