Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, it's brutal. Our writers league starts in an hour and it's 14 team SF auction.

On Yahoo.

How much you budgeting to get two qbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

take me you ANIMAL posted:

How much you budgeting to get two qbs.

110, I think? I don't know , this league is all superflex vets who know all my strats and tricks. It is very difficult.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

VietCampo posted:

Anyone picking up Van Jefferson?

I have him for $1 in my dynasty league :shrug:

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks for the feedback.

I was already heading down a 3rd okayish qb road would make sense in a trade/cover for injury kind of deal, but wasn’t sure if that would be overkill. I guess we’ll just see if people adjust or just go essentially autodraft style and don’t account for the new flex rules.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
When should I pick up a QB if I'm not going for Mahomes/Allen/Hurts? Is going for Burrow a good pick in the 5th if I like my RB/WR and don't see anyone left in those two that was looked over? Or should I just keep stacking those two until later?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

All depends on your style of drafting but definitely can’t go wrong with Burrow. His offense is stacked.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

take me you ANIMAL posted:

When should I pick up a QB if I'm not going for Mahomes/Allen/Hurts? Is going for Burrow a good pick in the 5th if I like my RB/WR and don't see anyone left in those two that was looked over? Or should I just keep stacking those two until later?

If Burrow is going in the 5th you are going to win your SF league and don't need any advice from here. Burrow is going in the first round of every SF league and mock I've done this summer.

Like, I legit saw "Burrow in the 5th" and immediately saw it as "Burrow with the 5th overall pick" and nodded.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
full point ppr so people are nuts on no1 targets.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh I didn’t see it was Superflex yea he’s almost certainly going in the first round. No way he makes it past the second.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I think you guys are mixing up your leagues, ANIMAL's league isn't superflex i don't think.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
No, mine isn't, drunk nerds is I'm pretty sure. But I was a bit of a drunk nerd when I was posting late last night so I might have been confusing.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Burrow is typically going in the 3rd/4th turn with Lamar. So if he is there in the 5th then yeah he's absolutely worth drafting. Fields, Herbert, and Lawrence are QBs that have been going in the 5th.

I like Herbert to bounce back this year

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tomorrow is the best/worst day. I've been dreading it. It's gonna be brutal yet I remain hopeful. Three drafts back to back. :suicide:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Tomorrow is the best/worst day. I've been dreading it. It's gonna be brutal yet I remain hopeful. Three drafts back to back. :suicide:

That sounds amazingly fun. I have 2 today.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Better back to back than simultaneous.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
What are the late round lottery tickets this year? I haven't done any research and my draft is tomorrow.

Also, are there any "avoid" players or lists?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Late round: Roschon

Avoid: JT, Kupp, and Jeudy. Because of ins-hammy-ty

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Dude that sniped two QBs (Fields and Burrow) in 6 rounds and left me hanging with Rodgers did what I expected and offered me Burrow and Evans for my AJ Brown.

Maybe I’m dumb but I just can’t get excited about Evans, and also I rejected the trade out of spite because his roster is on the weak side but Brown would put him right up into a competitive team so I slammed that no button. And I don’t know why he’s valuing Fields over Burrow but I hope that bites him in the rear end too.

I will continue to ride with my dark(ness retreat) horse QB for the time being

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

T-Square posted:

Dude that sniped two QBs (Fields and Burrow) in 6 rounds and left me hanging with Rodgers did what I expected and offered me Burrow and Evans for my AJ Brown.

Maybe I’m dumb but I just can’t get excited about Evans, and also I rejected the trade out of spite because his roster is on the weak side but Brown would put him right up into a competitive team so I slammed that no button. And I don’t know why he’s valuing Fields over Burrow but I hope that bites him in the rear end too.

I will continue to ride with my dark(ness retreat) horse QB for the time being

Laugh at him when Evans screws him over week 1, week 2, week 4… (he’ll inexplicably score 30 game 3 to keep his hopes alive)

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Wooo, first draft of the year is in the books! 10-team half-PPR league.

Starters

QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: Tony Pollard / Alexander Mattison
WR: Tyreek Hill / Keenan Allen
TE: Mark Andrew
Flex: J.K. Dobbins / Khalil Herbert
D/ST: Patriots
K: Younghoe Koo

Bench

QB: Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Jonathan Taylor
WR: Michael Thomas, Kadarius Toney, Gabe Davis, Rashod Bateman
TE: Luke Musgrave
Injured reserve: Kyler Murray

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

surf rock posted:

Wooo, first draft of the year is in the books! 10-team half-PPR league.

Starters

QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: Tony Pollard / Alexander Mattison
WR: Tyreek Hill / Keenan Allen
TE: Mark Andrew
Flex: J.K. Dobbins / Khalil Herbert
D/ST: Patriots
K: Younghoe Koo

Bench

QB: Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Jonathan Taylor
WR: Michael Thomas, Kadarius Toney, Gabe Davis, Rashod Bateman
TE: Luke Musgrave
Injured reserve: Kyler Murray

This team is loving stacked lol. Nice. Everyone on the bench is terrifying but in a 10 teamer there will be tons of dudes on waivers so whatever, I like how you took shots.

If I had a nitpick it would be that you probably don't need to be carrying a backup QB and TE in a 10 team league. You made the bet on Hurts and Andrews being league winners, lean into it and add some more depth. Specifically you have 0 bench RBs besides Taylor who will miss somewhere between 4 and 17 weeks?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Please stop drafting backup QBs after spending up for a top 3 QB people.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

T-Square posted:

Maybe I’m dumb but I just can’t get excited about Evans, and also I rejected the trade out of spite because his roster is on the weak side but Brown would put him right up into a competitive team so I slammed that no button. And I don’t know why he’s valuing Fields over Burrow but I hope that bites him in the rear end

Same thing happened in my league. One guy snapped up Dak Prescott in the first round knowing that last year’s league winner was going to take him. Then last year’s league winner, thinking I wanted Burrow, took Burrow in the third round, and Fields in the 4th, ostensibly to gently caress with one of the other players

Also, here’s the result of that draft (14 team half ppr league):
QB: Herbert
WR: G. Wilson / K. Allen
RB: Barkley / Pierce
TE: Waller
Flex: Charbonnet
DEF: Miami
K: Prater
Bench: Bigsby / Flowers / LaPorta / Q. Johnston / J. Hyatt (Homer pick lol)/ Z. White

Week 1 is gonna suck because most of my players are going up against really good defenses but I feel like I’m set up for a decent season, or I could be completely delusional

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

RCarr posted:

Please stop drafting backup QBs after spending up for a top 3 QB people.

But if I don’t Yahoo won’t give me a good draft score :ohdear:

They actually gave me an A in my highest money league which is kinda terrifying. I didn’t even pick up a second TE!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Most of my 10 team league drafted backup QBs, which makes not drafting one that much harder. Is it really that much downside drafting a backup when I’d just be drafting some other WR to ride my bench instead?

I was able to pick up burrow in the 6th round of my league, which feels like an amazing pickup compared to what everyone else is posting.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cnidario posted:

Same thing happened in my league. One guy snapped up Dak Prescott in the first round knowing that last year’s league winner was going to take him. Then last year’s league winner, thinking I wanted Burrow, took Burrow in the third round, and Fields in the 4th, ostensibly to gently caress with one of the other players

Dak in the first what on earth

I always like it when some brain genius decides to corner the market on QBs in a 1 QB league. Like cool dude you MIGHT be able to swing a decent trade but in the meantime you are clogging up your bench with players you cannot use and have zero depth at any other position.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Most of my 10 team league drafted backup QBs, which makes not drafting one that much harder. Is it really that much downside drafting a backup when I’d just be drafting some other WR to ride my bench instead?

I was able to pick up burrow in the 6th round of my league, which feels like an amazing pickup compared to what everyone else is posting.

If you have a top 5 QB you are never ever ever ever ever going to start your backup QB over him. So why waste a roster spot all year for a player you are going to start exactly once (bye week)?

Bench spots are enormously valuable and you need to use them on running backs and wide receivers.

Also you can always find a QB who will give you a halfway decent scoring output at any time during the year on waivers. The same cannot be said for the other positions.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 3, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dunno man. even in a 10 team league, like the one I drafted in Friday, toward the end of the draft some dudes like donovan peoples-jones and juju and MVS are getting drafted. in a 10-teamer.

meanwhile Kirk Cousins and Aaron Rodgers are getting drafted outside the top 10 QB's. QBs get hurt too and I'd rather roster Cousins as a QB2 than DPJ. Even if you don't have to start him he's better trade bait for someone who will inevitably need a QB

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

But no one is going to trade for those guys when they could just pick up a Daniel Jones, Dak Prescott, etc off waivers for free

Idk maybe it’s just me but if I can keep a lottery ticket RB/WR that has the possibility of winning me my league if he blows up, or keeping a sub par QB who maybe I will start if my QB dies and will get me 1 point more per game than the other QB’s on waivers, i will always pick the lottery ticket.

And if everyone else is taking two QB’s that just means there’s even more value available for you to stash on the bench.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 3, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

to me, it's about value. at some point the lotto tickets aren't worth it. who's really banking on this being DPJ's breakout year as CLE's WR3 and perhaps 5th option in a mediocre passing game? he should be drafted after Aaron Rodgers in any format. the odds of him hitting are much lower than the odds of your QB missing games and you wanting someone better than whoever's in the wire. plus you will have to have a QB for the bye week anyway. thus I don't stick with the hard and fast rules like "don't draft a QB2"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What about Rashee Rice, Jalen Hyatt, Charbonnet, Kendre Miller etc.

I’d rather have all those guys than the QB 16.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

well, now you're talking about making value judgments... which is the entire point of my argument. I only have to give one counter-example to invalidate a "don't draft a QB2 if you have a top 5 guy" rule

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Yeah that last bench spot should be a young WR/RB who might wind up going off instead of a QB who should only get one start on your team at most. Like, unless you draft 2 QBs back-to-back, you’re winding up with someone like Goff, Geno, or Rodgers as your QB2. Looking at my 12 team league, FAs available right now are guys like Stafford, Carr, and Howell. If you lost a Mahomes or Hurts, are you really any less hosed having someone from the former list over the latter?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

pmchem posted:

well, now you're talking about making value judgments... which is the entire point of my argument. I only have to give one counter-example to invalidate a "don't draft a QB2 if you have a top 5 guy" rule

The argument was lottery tickets vs a second QB. DJP isn’t a lottery ticket, he’s a JAG. It’s easy to make your argument look better when you choose a guy with very limited upside.

Also the entirety of fantasy football is “value judgements” so that’s a hell of a way to put down someone’s advice.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Also if you’re doing the waiver wire right you’re going to need some chaff to make room on your bench. Whoever you drafted in the 15th is an easy cut for the hot hand.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I ended up in 2nd place in a league last year with Hurts out, losing by 1 point in the finals while the FA QBs were absolutely trash tier and got me like 6 points. You are acting like those decent backup QBs will all be there when you need them week 8, and not siphoned up throughout the early part of the year if they actually look good. If Carr or Howell look good now someone will grab them before you need them, while if you draft one at least you get first dibs to see if they are worth anything.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 3, 2023

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I'm sitting here with Cousins at QB with no back up.

Always stock up on potential players. They're more likely to help you win the league than that 2nd QB who you start 9 weeks from now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
NEVER DRAFT MVS, I continue to scream into the void for the fifth consecutive year. your setting could be "MVS is the only one in the player pool" and I would still advise against it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Backup QBs lmao. Do you but lmfao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It's more likely that a top 5 qb is going to get injured than some rookie RB stuck in a 3-way timeshare breaks out and becomes an every day starter.