Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

ya dangus posted:

Someone who is asking their ex to stay at their place for a few days is not paying rent.

Uhh it's all fake anyway, but what makes you think (in this story) that she wasn't paying rent? This is the opening paragraph:

quote:

so my ex moved in with me a few months ago and things were going great. up until recently, she decided to end things because she no longer wanted to be in a relationship & wanted to pursue other things in life

There are other reasons besides money to stay somewhere. It's not easy to instantly find new accommodation to stay in, it would make more sense that someone needs a week or two to organise it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006
What in that post indicates she is paying rent? Someone who pays rent for a place to live typically doesn't ask to stick around for a few days.

I was responding to you saying: "I'm fairly certain that if she was paying rent, that in most places he has no right to demand that she leave."

kru
Oct 5, 2003

gently caress lettuce

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kru posted:

gently caress lettuce

Yeah, but grill it first so it's nice and warm.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

ya dangus posted:

What in that post indicates she is paying rent? Someone who pays rent for a place to live typically doesn't ask to stick around for a few days.

I was responding to you saying: "I'm fairly certain that if she was paying rent, that in most places he has no right to demand that she leave."

Not going to argue with you goon, namaste and god bless

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, marry lettuce

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for leaving only the house to one child?

quote:

My partner and I have two sons. The older is married and doesn’t plan on having children, the younger is also married but with two young kids. In addition the older lives in the same state as us while the younger is about 8 hours away. Both own their own homes already and are for the most part financially stable.

Our house has been in the family for generations. It’s on an estate with a few hundred acres of land and the building itself is mostly original, a couple hundred years old. It admittedly does have its quirks and the size makes management a little difficult but is a wonderful home. It’s most recent appraisal was a bit over 3 million dollars.

A couple months ago my younger son was visiting with his family and I mentioned how the house would be his one day. He winced a little and I asked what was wrong. He hesitantly admitted that he doesn’t want the house or anything to do with it. His family has no intention of moving back north and if they did it would be the other side of the state. I’ll admit it was disappointing to hear since our intent was to split all assets evenly- including the house- so that it would stay in the family and continue to be the meeting place.

My spouse and I talked it through and decided to change our wills. The house would go entirely to my older son and our other main assets (bank accounts, investments) would go to our younger. They can split the physical items between them. The house is worth more since the cash and investments are only around 2 million.

We had a group call and brought up the new will. My oldest was upset to say the least. He said he can’t move to the house either since he and his wife both work in the other side of the state (a 5 hour drive) and love their jobs. They have pensions, career tracks, and don’t plan on leaving. I said they could have someone maintain the house when they aren’t using it but he just got annoyed and said that would be a massive drain on their finances, let alone property tax and if anything breaks and needs repair. I said he’s being a brat since his brother lives farther and has a family to care for, the house doesn’t work for him and we want to be fair. The call ended very tense.

My younger is pleased with the outcome but my older is obviously not. He later said he now knows we favor his brother and will keep that in mind when elder care comes up and he’s the one nearby. This seems like a low blow but I don’t know if it’s deserved. AITA?

Edit: I was told to add this to the main post. The house cannot be sold, by us or either son. A long time ago previous owners made a deal with the town to pay less in property taxes in exchange for the surrounding acreage being public trails. It also had a provision that the house cannot be sold publicly, if we no longer wanted the property the town will buy it for land value.
"It's appraised for $3M! Oh, you can't sell it for that, but it's definitely worth that!"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

kru posted:

gently caress lettuce

Lettuce not be too hasty my friend

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

LMAO, but just sell it to the town when your folks croak, I bet you can even get them to name it "Dave and Doreen Dipshit Memorial Park" in memory of your parents.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Was a thing at my wedding 20 years ago (though I think it is definitely US specific). Importantly though, you arrange consent with both parties in advance instead of just open palm slamming the cake into the unsuspecting bride's face.

When I saw it at weddings, it was always more like taking a big, messy bite of cake, not smashing a cake in someone's face like a Three Stooges skit.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Biplane posted:

Lettuce not be too hasty my friend

Yeah, just romaine calm, please.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"It's appraised for $3M! Oh, you can't sell it for that, but it's definitely worth that!"

You don’t have to accept an inheritance last I checked. If he simply doesn’t take the house the older son is no worse off than he is today.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lmao that story reminds me of how my parents keep trying to hold my "inheritance" of their lovely mcmansion over my head (my brother being the male child will ofc be getting all the other assets) and get more and more confused that I don't want the stupid house and I won't put up with their poo poo because I live on another continent

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is it possible to reject the outcome of a will? As in, if someone leaves you something in their will, is it theoretically possible to say "I don't want it" and gave it not be your problem? Obviously different countries have different laws but interesting to think through

Real estate can be a massive liability after all.

Either way, it makes no sense to consult with one child about this decision and not the other.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It also makes no sense that when neither son wants the house, one son gets it anyway and the other gets all the money.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You don’t have to accept an inheritance last I checked. If he simply doesn’t take the house the older son is no worse off than he is today.
Yeah, but I think if the parents are concerned with being fair it'd make the most sense to split assets and any items the kids want to keep, then have the house sold back to the town and split the money from that. As it is, they're setting it up so no matter what one son feels put upon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, but I think if the parents are concerned with being fair it'd make the most sense to split assets and any items the kids want to keep, then have the house sold back to the town and split the money from that. As it is, they're setting it up so no matter what one son feels put upon.

They aren't concerned with being fair. The older son is a brat for not wanting the house, so he's the one they leave it to.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They aren't concerned with being fair. The older son is a brat for not wanting the house, so he's the one they leave it to.
Oh, yeah, it's such a resentment bomb to drop on your own kids. Like, their sons are apparently stable and successful now, so ideally the inheritance wouldn't be something either of them need, but how often is that the way people feel, especially when there's clear unfairness?

It also sucks because they're pissy about the family losing a 'wonderful family home' but it being sold back to the town for land value sounds like the best for everyone, like... god forbid people get a nice park.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Speaking only for the US, but yes you can disclaim an inheritance, you just have to write up a Disclaimer within 9 months of the person dying that says "I'm disclaiming the burden house my folks left to me, it's [x]% of my inheritance" and sign it, and you're free.

It then passes to the next beneficiary on the will. I don't know where it goes if there's no other beneficiary, but tl;dr: disinherit and forget it!

bucksmash fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 3, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah there isn’t any way to keep it in the family when no one in the remaining family wants to live in or maintain it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PetraCore posted:

Fair would be bequeathing it all to charity. The one thing all of these inheritence stories have in common is shithead kids who feel entitled to stuff they never earned, in the process generally making society worse by concentrating wealth.

I mean the main "wronged" person in this story is someone with a stable home, family, and career who is whining about not getting some $millions because he got lucky about which family he was born into. How small of a violin do they make?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 3, 2023

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah the parents just have either capitalism brain poisoning where it's been appraised for $3m so they can't imagine selling it for whatever the deal with the town would be, or they just don't understand that something's only "worth" whatever you can be paid for it, or they've got nostalgia brain poisoning and can't separate themselves from their dreams of their children and grandchildren and great grandchildren gathering and celebrating the exact same way they do.

edit@ oh i just reread and it looks like they literally just did whatever the first thing they were asked for, like the younger son yelled "not it!" and that's final? lmao

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

He could set up a trust with all the investments to maintain the property and leave it to the kids of the younger kid.

I would say kids of both sons but there's some fuckiness about wills referencing someone that doesn't exist at the time of the will.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chewbecca posted:

Is it possible to reject the outcome of a will? As in, if someone leaves you something in their will, is it theoretically possible to say "I don't want it" and gave it not be your problem? Obviously different countries have different laws but interesting to think through

Real estate can be a massive liability after all.

Either way, it makes no sense to consult with one child about this decision and not the other.

Yes, but if you don't pay a lawyer to deal with probate (which will be paid by the estate but it's still subtracting from the inheritance) then you will have to manage the estate yourself so you'll still end up having to do the work of getting rid of the asset.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Fair would be bequeathing it all to charity. The one thing all of these inheritence stories have in common is shithead kids who feel entitled to stuff they never earned, in the process generally making society worse by concentrating wealth.
I meant fair in the sense of for the kids, but also, that's a really funny point, because both of their kids are stable and financially do not need any inheritance, and while I'm sure there's not many people that would turn down a free million dollars, neither of them have expressed a desire for an inheritance at all in the story and the way to truly benefit the most people would be to let the sons keep sentimental items and have the house sold back to the town and have all financial assets go to charity. Maybe set up a scholarship or something. Discuss this all with your kids beforehand so there's no surprise and decide what items go to each first.

I'm just saying even from a selfish point of view the absolute worst 'solution' is to give one kid all the money and the other kid a house he doesn't want.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Total tangent about things not being how they used to be: In yesterday's column, Miss Manners admitted that the dinner party was moribund. Betting that the old family house has lots of spaces that aren't useful any more: parlors, dining room, very likely bedrooms that you have to walk through to get to each other.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Miss Manners is 84. The kids are having tons of dinner parties — seriously, millennials are so into it that they invented Friendsgiving — they just don’t look like Martha Stewart’s.
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/10/14/20899335/dinner-parties-entertaining-millennials-nothing-fancy-alison-roman

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA For not wanting my GF to report a "peeping tom"

quote:

My GF has a habit of not closing curtains/blinds properly. This includes the shower curtain which has been an issue recently as I had to get the bathroom tiles regrouted at least partially because she doesn't pull the shower curtain fully and the floor gets absolutely soaked. None of this is a serious problem but it's partially led to the most recent issue.

My GF was in the shower and glanced out the window and saw the neighbours 13yo kid staring at her. He apparently jumped and ran away when she looked at him.

Now she wants to complain to his parents. I said that if she had closed the blind or the shower curtain properly he wouldn't have had anything to look at. I also said that it's not like he was doing anything more than walking in his own house, looked out a window and saw a naked woman.

She is saying that I'm being an rear end in a top hat for not 100% supporting her in telling on him. But something like this could be really harmful to him. Plus the parents could get annoyed themselves that she exposed herself to the kid. I offered to have a word with the kid myself but she wants him to get in trouble for looking at her naked.

WIBTA if I don't take my Nephew in?

quote:

Throwaway. Live in Europe.

I (f30) have an older sister (f33). She hast a son (5m), is divorced and the father does not live in our country anymore. My sister has cervical cancer and it doesn't look good. I live with my boyfriend (m30) in a different city with our 2 cats and we're child free and not married. We both work from home, enjoy our hobbies / free time / money.

Now, my sister asked me if I'm willing to take my nephew in if she dies. Our mother is too old to raise another child and has several medical issues. I discussed it with my boyfriend and we both don't want to change our whole life for a child even if it's family. So I said no, and she got really mad and called my mother who got mad too. I quote my mother: "It's family! So I HAVE to take him in or he goes into foster care!!!".

I know we're all stressed because of the situation and "what if"-questions but I don't think I want to care about a child. So I thought I ask here if I would be the rear end in a top hat if I don't take my nephew in?

Edit: I thought it's not relevant but I already comment: We have 3 aunts and one uncle all with childrens and grand childrens. They would love to take my nephew but my sister doesn't agree. I'm the only "direct" family she allows to take him.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 3, 2023

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For not wanting my GF to report a "peeping tom"\

Isn't the point of tiles that they can take being wet???

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

Tile is waterproof, but grout is porous af and second only to agar-filled petri dishes at growing vile, disgusting poo poo.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For not wanting my GF to report a "peeping tom"

Oh poo poo, grab your r/AITA bingo cards, I've got: nasty living conditions, "fetish or dipshit", bf can't empathy, NextDoor drama, and a free "ESH" square. What did I miss?

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 3, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Midnight Voyager posted:

Somewhat wet, but not necessarily soaking wet. I know this because my last apartment's bathroom ceiling fell in because the upstairs neighbor didn't use a shower curtain and water eventually soaked through the tile floor :suicide:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Tile is waterproof, but grout is porous af and second only to agar-filled petri dishes at growing vile, disgusting poo poo.

Which is why you need to reseal it occasionally, regardless of whether or not your gf gets it wetter than normal.

There are some fancy-dancy grouts that are permanently impermeable now, but that neither here nor there.

E: ^^^I will refrain from ranting about the various levels of waterproofing expected in a bathroom nowadays, and how most contractors suck rear end at doing it properly.

Anne Whateley posted:

Miss Manners is 84. The kids are having tons of dinner parties — seriously, millennials are so into it that they invented Friendsgiving — they just don’t look like Martha Stewart’s.
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/10/14/20899335/dinner-parties-entertaining-millennials-nothing-fancy-alison-roman

There's probably some lack of dinner parties among urban millennials just because access to single-family housing is so hard for us, and it's tough to get more than a few people together in a small apartment. My house is the nexus for dinner parties among my fiancé's friends, because we're the only ones lucky enough to have a house. Everyone loves getting together, having a nice potluck style meal, and some booze/weed though, I don't think that's changed at all. It's just easier to meet at a local restaurant when you all live in 1brs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my former MIL that I am not obligated to provide her grandchild with a home?

quote:

I (32f) have a son (8m) with my ex-husband. He and I were married for 3 years and had our son a year into the marriage. He cheated on me multiple times and I only found this out the day of our 3rd wedding anniversary, an hour before an anniversary party he was throwing for me. He invited his at the time mistress (there were multiple women) and she was supposedly a friend. I still remember how much it broke me to have it all happen as it did. I felt humiliated. My marriage ended that day and he moved in with the mistress.

We ended up sharing custody of our son and the divorce was easy enough. He ended up marrying the mistress and their relationship was a mess. They had a child together who is now 3. The child they had together is currently with my ex's parents.

This came about because my ex and the mistress cheated on each other and both had zero interest in their little girl. They broke up for a period of time and the mom dumped their daughter on my ex and he told his parents he didn't want her either. CPS got involved and neither my ex or his wife wanted their child back, none of the maternal family wanted her, none of the rest of my ex's family wanted her. The grandparents don't truly want her either. But didn't want to look like they allowed her to go into foster care.

I know this because about a month ago my former MIL started to reach out asking me to raise her granddaughter with my son. She said ex and his wife got back together and still don't want their child. She told me all the sordid things and admitted they did not want to raise another child. She said she knows I'm a good mom and that I am technically kind of a stepmom. I shut that down fast and said I am no stepparent. I told her I wasn't interested during that conversation but she did not let it drop. She has repeatedly contacted me in the past month about giving her granddaughter a home with my son and I and how the kids should be raised together.

To make the whole thing even more complicated, my ex still has custody time with our son and takes his custody time.

The last time my former MIL tried to talk me into it I told her I am not obligated to provide her granddaughter with a home. She said she might not be my child by blood but she is my son's sibling. I told her I know all about complicated dynamics with half siblings and it never bothered me not to be raised with mine or to even know mine. I told her I was in similar shoes to my son and I think he will be just fine. That since she's with them, we can facilitate contact but I do not want to give her a home.

Former MIL said I would regret my choice and she said I am being cruel. She said she and her husband should not have to start over raising a child and I already have one. She called me cold and all sorts of other stuff. So I ended the call and blocked her number.

AITA?

That poor girl. Of course MIL can't take her.

AITA for being upset at my husband’s comments about our bedroom activities?

quote:

Little about us: We have been married for around 9 months. Previously dated around 1 year before marriage. My husband and I have a loving relationship. We are very similar and are each other’s best friends.

Here’s the situation. My husband (33M) and I (29F) were coming back from an outing with family when I began telling him how attractive I find him. I began telling him how good his lovemaking skills are and how he fucks me good every time. He enjoyed the compliment and then i asked him do you feel like i gently caress you good.

He tells me he fucks me not the other way around. I was confused. He further explained that since he is a man, he does the action of loving. I told him i found that logic gross and I began getting upset. He explained that if I were a man loving him or if I was pegging him, then sure. He could say I was loving him. Since I am not, he says that I am taking it not giving it. I told him what about being on top, or in general being an active participant in bed? I explained his logic was downplaying the role I also played in the bedroom and how diminishing it is. I told him its very weird male logic.

He started getting upset telling me I am twisting his words and cornering him into a weird thought process. He then tells me yes I am great in the bedroom and can preform well but ultimately that I am not loving him. After a while of this circular argument, he started mocking me for what I was pointing out and said I can think whatever I want. I ended up walking away from the conversation.

All of it felt gross and demeaning for me. I find sex to be something we share. Not something someone takes or one party gives. His POV and comments actually made me sad. We kinda became silent and he fell asleep. I couldn’t sleep so I went to the couch and slept. In the morning, he asks if I’m feeling better (from a shoulder injury I been having for days) and if I down to have sex. I wasn’t feeling better but I was also still upset. I told him “no, we are celibate”. He got frustrated that I’m still upset with last night’s convo and said “watch what you say, your words can have impact”. I laughed in irony. He got annoyed and went to go play on his PC.

(For context, I am pretty sensitive about sex and conversations like this is a sore spot for me. In my previous relationship, my ex partner would not let me explore certain positions because of reasons like my thighs being big or my butt being big and would often prefer me to stay in one position and not move. He would complain I am turning him off if I got on top or wanted to be move active or dominant)

So reddit, AITA for being upset at his comments about our bedroom activities? Am I blowing it out of proportion.

Note: please let me know if I need to clarify anything as I am writing off my phone.

Update : so I’d like to thank you all for sharing your thoughts. Wow! This blew up! I wanted to update because almost 2k of you shared your thoughts and I want to respect that. So.. Here’s what happened:

Me and my husband spoke. Once he got over the semantics argument, I shared what hearing that felt and meant to me. He understood and we got to share a-lot more of our hang up and communication flaws. We had a compassionate and loving conversations which made us both cry. We never lived together and that year dating was mostly long distance as I lived in a different country from him. Our relationship is otherwise healthy. We just had to understand we were having two conversations. One about semantics and one about OUR sex life. Yes, he is very complimentary and active and (for the hilarious comments about choking him or getting on top) he lets me be active and adventurous. These comments were one off and deeply offended me as I thought they were gross and diminishing.

I showed him this post. We were laughing (especially the “men how do you feel when your wife is on top” comments) . Just hilarious. I think we understood that we were having a layer conversation, with mine being alot deeper and about learning to understand when to joke and when to reassure.

Overall, this was a productive post as we are literally in the first year of our marriage. We are learning to communicate and live together. Also, we are both relatively non-experienced with sex being an open topic. It turns out we needed this discussion more than we thought. So thanks again! I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend!

from reddit:

quote:

"To say that straight men are heterosexual is only to say that they engage in sex (loving exclusively with the other sex, i.e., women). All or almost all of that which pertains to love, most straight men reserve exclusively for other men.

The people whom they admire, respect, adore, revere, honor, whom they imitate, idolize, and form profound attachments to, whom they are willing to teach and from whom they are willing to learn, and whose respect, admiration, recognition, honor, reverence and love they desire... those are, overwhelmingly, other men. In their relations with women, what passes for respect is kindness, generosity or paternalism; what passes for honor is removal to the pedestal. From women they want devotion, service and sex.

Heterosexual male culture is homoerotic; it is man-loving."

--Marilyn Frye, The Politics of Reality, pages 134-135

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 3, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Somewhat wet, but not necessarily soaking wet. I know this because my last apartment's bathroom ceiling fell in because the upstairs neighbor didn't use a shower curtain and water eventually soaked through the tile floor :suicide:

Porcelain is more water resistant than ceramic, and natural stone is quite porous and needs to be regularly sealed. There is also a difference between different types of grout and so on. Tile is water divergence, not waterproofing. If you look up how to properly build a modern shower, you use some type of waterproof membrane (either fabric or paint-on) behind the tile. It's generally a good idea to just waterproof the whole bathroom floor while you are at it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA if I don't take my Nephew in?

Does OP say anywhere why the father can’t take the kid in? He’s divorced and in another country, not dead, but there’s no indication that anyone even contacted him to ask.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does OP say anywhere why the father can’t take the kid in? He’s divorced and in another country, not dead, but there’s no indication that anyone even contacted him to ask.

Yes. The kid's actual parents just don't want him.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

There's probably some lack of dinner parties among urban millennials just because access to single-family housing is so hard for us, and it's tough to get more than a few people together in a small apartment. My house is the nexus for dinner parties among my fiancé's friends, because we're the only ones lucky enough to have a house. Everyone loves getting together, having a nice potluck style meal, and some booze/weed though, I don't think that's changed at all. It's just easier to meet at a local restaurant when you all live in 1brs.
That's definitely part of it. My wife and I are very lucky and started having children a little older, and we hosted about 25 people yesterday for my 2-year olds birthday party. We used a local freecycle group for all the decorations and some of the waterplay stuff. It wasn't a typical dinner party, but I got to hang out with some very dear friends that I don't get to see often enough.

We also host the Friendsgiving for our group. I usually end up getting pretty tipsy on that one, but it's a lot of work leading up to it so it feels good to let loose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

But the article pretty much agrees with what Miss Manners says. People are absolutely having friends over for dinner, but they're not "dinner parties" as my or Miss Manners's generation would interpret them. Nobody is writing Miss Manners about how to set up a seating plan for eight people, or what order you use the forks in, not even for fun.

(Just to be clear, I say good riddance. I threw a dinner party once in my life, and that was more than enough.)

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 3, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Yes. The kid's actual parents just don't want him.

Different story. This is the one with the dying mom and divorced dad. It doesn’t sound like the dad has been in close contact or anything, but checking with the kid’s surviving biological parent seems like such an obvious first step that any mention of that missing from the situation raises an eyebrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

AITA: I used a fork and knife to eat fried chicken, whereas the person hosting the dinner party used their hands to eat, now they're mad at me for my "horrid etiquette"

I'd love some low-stakes oldschool etiquette AITAs.