Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Goddamn, I am stuck at the very first test. I'm trying to run the extruder calibration and cannot seem to make any noticeable changes.
Each time I measure, go into the printer.config, save the new speed, print, and when I measure again it's still off by 15mm. Default rotation speed is is 40, and I've gone down to 29 and up to 45 and am still getting the same variance. Any insight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, that looks like a straight Arial, which was one of the contenders.

Right now I'm printing each of the resource tiles in Arial Narrow and a smaller Times Upper Bold that's closer to the size of the lower case pieces.

Due to alphabetical listing, Arial is also the top-used font for a lot of design softwares of all kinds.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Rad-daddio posted:

Due to alphabetical listing, Arial is also the top-used font for a lot of design softwares of all kinds.

Wife decided Arial Narrow is the one. I tend to agree. Now to work on the rest of the set.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Springfield Fatts posted:

Goddamn, I am stuck at the very first test. I'm trying to run the extruder calibration and cannot seem to make any noticeable changes.
Each time I measure, go into the printer.config, save the new speed, print, and when I measure again it's still off by 15mm. Default rotation speed is is 40, and I've gone down to 29 and up to 45 and am still getting the same variance. Any insight?

Are you giving a restart command after saving the printer config? Klipper doesn’t hot reload the config, you have to restart after making any change, even trivial ones.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah I am, learned the hard way. Some improvement in that I'm actually seeing change but I'm just swinging all over the loving park here. 15mm down to 10, then up to 22(!) back to 18. It's infuriating.
Edit: I dunno man maybe I need a complete dipshit's guide to this stuff because I'm not even understanding what this guy is talking about with this baby stepping offset z talk. This FDM poo poo is way more science than art like SLA printing and it's giving me a migraine.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 2, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister posted:

How do I get the fancypants wifi working on my Sovol SV07?

Anybody?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Yeah I am, learned the hard way. Some improvement in that I'm actually seeing change but I'm just swinging all over the loving park here. 15mm down to 10, then up to 22(!) back to 18. It's infuriating.
Edit: I dunno man maybe I need a complete dipshit's guide to this stuff because I'm not even understanding what this guy is talking about with this baby stepping offset z talk. This FDM poo poo is way more science than art like SLA printing and it's giving me a migraine.
That sounds like your extruder is skipping. Aka, it's not pushing hard enough and/or getting enough traction to get the requested amount of filament through the hot end.

What are your temps like (and what material)?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just use the touchscreen? I dunno. I assume.you have the ability to interact with it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So I had to retire my garbage bin rescue Ender 3 from the line after years of service and decided to splurge and replace it with two P1Ps, which I finally got and set up today.

Wow. I like these things.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Just use the touchscreen? I dunno. I assume.you have the ability to interact with it.

That part was easy. How do I get Cura to see it?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, caved in and bought a X1C with AMS.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

That sounds like your extruder is skipping. Aka, it's not pushing hard enough and/or getting enough traction to get the requested amount of filament through the hot end.

What are your temps like (and what material)?

220 nozzle, 65 bed. Just printing normal PLA.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
220/65 is plenty enough for PLA to flow freely. I would print something and watch the filament path closely. Something somewhere is getting stuck or not making enough contact or ???

Brand new printer, right? Fresh clean dry filament?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, both new printer and new filament. The little buddha that came with the tiny PLA+ spool printed great, but it's been downhill since then with this new spool. Here's my original post that has some print examples.

Base C was printed by a company locally, I don't know they're machine or settings but it was in PLA.
Base A was printed with no skirt, and with the solid side printed directly on the plate.
Base B was printed with a skirt, from the walls up to the top of the solid side.

A and B were printed with the default profile, which is 220°/65° nozzle/bed and 150mm/s speed which seems slow for the printer but again, these are literally my first prints after the buddha included so I'll go by what the slicer suggests. I'm happier with the top results of B on the side where models will be getting glued, but I'm not sure why the weird spaghetti effect is happening. A looks like it's getting fused somehow, and there was warping in the walls and since it's a base I need it to do one job: be level and flat. Basically I'd like to get as close to C's results as possible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Perfect success! :toot:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I figured out how the wifi works on the Sovol SV07. The printer itself has a web interface. You're able to drag and drop files on the web interface.

Edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention, you need to have a USB drive plugged into the Sovol.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 3, 2023

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah, both new printer and new filament. The little buddha that came with the tiny PLA+ spool printed great, but it's been downhill since then with this new spool. Here's my original post that has some print examples.

I gotta admit I scrolled past that post before because it's a bit of a word problem. Now that I scrutinize it I think some other people might get tripped up by the pictures, as well.

Clarify, it looks like the base you are trying to print is literally a hollow box with no bottom? If so, A corresponds to how I would attempt to print it, for sure. B is the wrong way to try this part; you COULD tune your bridge settings to make that a lot cleaner, but it will still be the worst way to print it. C looks like they did A but isn't the greatest print either for commercial work; if a friend did that for me I wouldn't gripe but if somebody charged for that, eeeehhhhhh

I would try printing it in configuration A again, but cut the nozzle speed in half and drop 10c off the nozzle and bed temps. 220/65 is on the high end for PLA, unless you're fighting a really cold room or something and need to overcompensate.

If THAT doesn't get you closer, post the STL and better pictures. Ideally grouped and clearly labeled as the top and bottom of the PRINT regardless of which way that is relative to the final part orientation, to make them less confusing

e:

quote:

these are literally my first prints after the buddha included

did this come out ok? was it an stl you sliced (with the same settings?) or gcode the manufacturer provided?

ee:

quote:

Some questions:
Am I popping these off the plate too soon, and should I let them cool a few minutes before removal?
Is there a walkthrough of issue corrections (visual if possible) similar to exposure test settings like a resin printer?
How important are rafts for geometric shapes like these (since it was kind of a pain in the rear end getting it off and I actually damaged one of the sides of B getting it off)?

1: no, though you can do that if it makes removing them easier
2: https://www.3dbenchy.com/ is a good test print with tons of visual references scattered around the internet for the common issues it will find
3: Utterly not useful. Your rectangle is incredibly, enormously FDM friendly as compared with the kind of crap you would use a raft for.

Javid fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 3, 2023

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
C looks overextruded for commercial work. A almost seems like also overextruded to the point of back pressure is making the extruder skip, but can't really tell.

Agree with maybe posting the stl.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

kid sinister posted:

That part was easy. How do I get Cura to see it?

You don't get cura to print directly to it. You slice it then go to 192.168.4.107 or whatever your printers up is and it'll get you to the klipper interface where you then upload it and print. I don't think any slicer will direct print over a wifi connection.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

tater_salad posted:

You don't get cura to print directly to it. You slice it then go to 192.168.4.107 or whatever your printers up is and it'll get you to the klipper interface where you then upload it and print. I don't think any slicer will direct print over a wifi connection.

There is a Cura plugin that sends G-code to Octoprint/Mainsail, and PrusaSlicer and its forks have a place for the upload address in the General tab of printer settings

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

If I'm understanding correctly, you printed the Buddha from gcode the manufacturer provided, and you used the filament that came with the printer, and that all worked fine, and now you are trying to print your own file with your own filament and it's not working.

Have you tried printing that Buddha gcode with the new filament? What brand of filament is this?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, that looks like a straight Arial, which was one of the contenders.

No Name uses Helvetica, goddammit. Not cheap knockoff Arial.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

good god.

uhh.

I tried to print a table, basically, on its back. The sample worked fine. This time it managed to unscrew all 3 of the big wheels under the bed. What the gently caress.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I tried to print a table, basically, on its back. The sample worked fine. This time it managed to unscrew all 3 of the big wheels under the bed. What the gently caress.

At least you know your first layer adhesion is (was?) good!

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Does anyone know what paint stripper/remover i can use to get spray paint off of a petg print? Tried to spray a layer of rustoleum matte black on top of rustoleum chrome and it just melted the chrome off. Gonna strip it all down and start over but dont want to melt the petg.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sagebrush posted:

No Name uses Helvetica, goddammit. Not cheap knockoff Arial.

All the more reason to use Arial in my project's case

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Me too :hfive:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Javid posted:

I gotta admit I scrolled past that post before because it's a bit of a word problem. Now that I scrutinize it I think some other people might get tripped up by the pictures, as well.

Clarify, it looks like the base you are trying to print is literally a hollow box with no bottom? If so, A corresponds to how I would attempt to print it, for sure. B is the wrong way to try this part; you COULD tune your bridge settings to make that a lot cleaner, but it will still be the worst way to print it. C looks like they did A but isn't the greatest print either for commercial work; if a friend did that for me I wouldn't gripe but if somebody charged for that, eeeehhhhhh

I would try printing it in configuration A again, but cut the nozzle speed in half and drop 10c off the nozzle and bed temps. 220/65 is on the high end for PLA, unless you're fighting a really cold room or something and need to overcompensate.

If THAT doesn't get you closer, post the STL and better pictures. Ideally grouped and clearly labeled as the top and bottom of the PRINT regardless of which way that is relative to the final part orientation, to make them less confusing

To clarify yeah, these were hollow bases and he cranked out twenty for me and since I was going to cover them in paint and texture (and frankly didn't know any better) they were fine for me. Honestly this would be pretty great to be able to replicate since bases and modelling terrain which will be heavily painted anyway are what I'm mainly going to be using this for. To get a clean slate I reset to factory baseline on the machine, rebalanced bed plate and z-offset and reprinted the Gcode buddha with the lowered temp and a 150 speed nozzle. On the left is the PLA+ Rapid that was sent with the printer, the right is just Elegoo's regular black PLA. Pretty comparable results, but I am still seeing some pockmarking in spots like on the robe's folds. I've also learned black is really hard to tell details on, my next spool will be grey...

Next I reran the base file with no raft and at the same settings used on the buddha.
Bottom (underside) as printed on the plate.

Top side.

Still getting a lot of major warping around the corners, it looks like the nozzle is melting lines together, and the scarring grooves on the top side are fun new issues.

Here's the file STL as oriented on the build plate.

Edit: this is also another weird detail in that mine feel way thicker than the commercial one. It's the exact same STL but there's flex, and I just weighed them and mine is twice as heavy as the purchased one. So my machine is spitting out twice as much filament as it needs to?

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 3, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That still looks like your first layer calibration is way too low to me

Edit: this is also another weird detail in that mine feel way thicker than the commercial one. It's the exact same STL but there's flex, and I just weighed them and mine is twice as heavy as the purchased one. So my machine is spitting out twice as much filament as it needs to?

So the same STL doesn't really mean anything, the same gcode would. The way you slice the model definitely impacts the overall look and feel of the print, number of walls, vertical shells, infill type/percentage, all add up. Even tweaking specific things like extrusion percentages can affect how a print feels/weighs.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Macichne Leainig posted:

That still looks like your first layer calibration is way too low to me

He's right. And if that alone doesn't fix it, overextrusion.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Any FreeCAD experts here? I'm trying to cut away a Sketch from a Pad. I can't figure out how to do it though. I think it's because the cut away sections are on the outside?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

St. Blaize posted:

Does anyone know what paint stripper/remover i can use to get spray paint off of a petg print? Tried to spray a layer of rustoleum matte black on top of rustoleum chrome and it just melted the chrome off. Gonna strip it all down and start over but dont want to melt the petg.

This feels like real "good luck" territory. Whatever melts an acrylic paint will probably melt petg.

My go to for minis is a dish in simple green, so native try a test print and cover it with paint

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Any FreeCAD experts here? I'm trying to cut away a Sketch from a Pad. I can't figure out how to do it though. I think it's because the cut away sections are on the outside?

I can’t tell exactly what problem you’re having from this post. Are you looking for the cut button? Does it error when you try? If so, what does the error say?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Arcsech posted:

I can’t tell exactly what problem you’re having from this post. Are you looking for the cut button? Does it error when you try? If so, what does the error say?

Never mind, I figured it out. Delete the pad, delete the outer lines, then Pad the remaining shape.

I was trying to get the shape in the middle. Here's what I got. Now to adjust the thickness...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Gonna be real hard to let the BLV Cube go, considering the amount of time, effort and money I've put into it, but it would be at least $1000 to overhaul it and upgrade and it has served me well.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Another mask fresh off the P1P.

This one from Yosh Studios, Spider-Man becomes Venom.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qc1SD2W

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Bottom (underside) as printed on the plate.

Still looks too fast.

quote:

cut the nozzle speed in half and drop 10c off the nozzle and bed temps

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Is the venom part the only multi material print? Or did you purge half the roll for the eye sockets?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

deimos posted:

Is the venom part the only multi material print? Or did you purge half the roll for the eye sockets?

Each color was a separate print and later assembled. The link has a gallery of in-progress shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Me too! Well, almost - I caved and ordered a P1S combo to join my pair of P1Ps. Y'all won't regret it. The Bambu machines might not exactly be life-changing, but I can't ever see going back to anything that's not one (or something similar in performance) as time goes on.