Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

I ended up in 2nd place in a league last year with Hurts out, losing by 1 point in the finals while the FA QBs were absolutely trash tier and got me like 6 points. You are acting like those decent backup QBs will all be there when you need them week 8, and not siphoned up throughout the early part of the year if they actually look good. If Carr or Howell look good now someone will grab them before you need them, while if you draft one at least you get first dibs to see if they are worth anything.

yep. In a 14-teamer last year, where I did win the championship, I only drafted 1 QB and regretted it most of the season as he vastly underperformed. waiver wire was a mess -- I ended up starting Gardner loving Minshew in the finals -- but fortunately I was bailed out by championship week hulk Mike Evans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea I guess that’s my feel on it too. Unless nearly everyone in your league is only holding one QB, your emergency options are all going to be the bottom 10 guys in the league, and that can be really awful pickings. Meanwhile, random breakout rookie RB/WR is probably more likely to be available on the waiver wire than riding your bench all season. Personal choice and all that, but I just like to have someone halfway decent as QB insurance than garbage.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 4, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Nothing wrong with a backup QB on your bench. I had Tua as a backup QB and he bailed my rear end out when Herbert started out slowly. I tend to roll with just one, but I get the other side of it.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

So, of the following rookies, who do y’all think has a better chance of producing in the first week:
Charbonnet
Bigsby
Achane (if healthy)

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
I've typically always been one to wait on QB and TE and stock up at RB/WR early and often in drafts. I've also only ever played in 12 team leagues.

My work league has dropped to 10 this year and I'm not quite sure how to adjust. Should I should be more willing to go after one of the top options at QB and TE to gain that positional advantage because there will be more depth available at RB and WR? Or do I not really worry about QB and TE at all because with 10 teams there will absolutely be usable options available quite late?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gobias Ind. posted:

I've typically always been one to wait on QB and TE and stock up at RB/WR early and often in drafts. I've also only ever played in 12 team leagues.

My work league has dropped to 10 this year and I'm not quite sure how to adjust. Should I should be more willing to go after one of the top options at QB and TE to gain that positional advantage because there will be more depth available at RB and WR? Or do I not really worry about QB and TE at all because with 10 teams there will absolutely be usable options available quite late?

Game theory wise I think the smaller the league the more important it is to get an elite QB and/or TE. In shallow leagues it’s all about star ball. Every team has studs all over the roster. So you you want the guys who can actually separate from the pack, which are those top 3-4 QB and TEs. It also means the opportunity cost for drafting Allen in the third or whatever is lower because there are more solid WR/RBs available at your next pick than in a 12 or deeper league.

I used to be a late round QB die hard but the game has changed. In the past there would be one or two guys who have an insane year but you never knew who. Will Matt Ryan be the MVP or like QB13? But now it’s the same dudes crushing every single year and you feel a lot better about investing an early pick in Mahomes when his floor is like 40 TDs.

Edit: quoting this team from earlier, would you rather have

QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: Tony Pollard / Alexander Mattison

Or (I am not going to look up exact ADPs on my phone but you get the idea)

QB: Geno Smith
RB: Tony Pollard / Joe Mixon

I will take the guy who could easily be QB1 overall vs a trivial upgrade at RB2

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 3, 2023

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Docjowles posted:

Game theory wise I think the smaller the league the more important it is to get an elite QB and/or TE. In shallow leagues it’s all about star ball. Every team has studs all over the roster. So you you want the guys who can actually separate from the pack, which are those top 3-4 QB and TEs. It also means the opportunity cost for drafting Allen in the third or whatever is lower because there are more solid WR/RBs available at your next pick than in a 12 or deeper league.

I used to be a late round QB die hard but the game has changed. In the past there would be one or two guys who have an insane year but you never knew who. Will Matt Ryan be the MVP or like QB13? But now it’s the same dudes crushing every single year and you feel a lot better about investing an early pick in Mahomes when his floor is like 40 TDs.

Edit: quoting this team from earlier, would you rather have

QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: Tony Pollard / Alexander Mattison

Or (I am not going to look up exact ADPs on my phone but you get the idea)

QB: Geno Smith
RB: Tony Pollard / Joe Mixon

I will take the guy who could easily be QB1 overall vs a trivial upgrade at RB2

That confirms my thinking, thanks. And yeah I'd definitely rather have that hypothetical Hurts team over the Geno one.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

FINE I’ll drop my Just-in-case-Rodgers-really-sucks Anthony Richardson stash for Hyatt or something lol

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Matt Zerella posted:

Backup QBs lmao. Do you but lmfao.

Drafting Brady in the 2nd round of a rookie/fa dynasty draft won me the league last year. Worth it over every draft pick after him.

My normal starter is Lamar.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 3, 2023

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
A guy in my league just dropped 20% of his FAAB on Evan Hull, is he a massive idiot or does he know something I really don't?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Gobias Ind. posted:

10 man, I'm a big believer in loading up positional advantage. Typically, I'm grabbing MAndrews in the 3rd and whichever of Lamar/Burrow/Herbert/Fields/Lawrence falls to me in the fifth. If Allen or Hurts somehow fall to the 4th, I'm grabbing them and victory lapping.

I'm also much more likely to go full 0RB here unless some crazy value falls my way.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

EDIT: ^^^^ ask me in three weeks

Gobias Ind. posted:

10 man, I'm a big believer in loading up positional advantage. Typically, I'm grabbing MAndrews in the 3rd and whichever of Lamar/Burrow/Herbert/Fields/Lawrence falls to me in the fifth. If Allen or Hurts somehow fall to the 4th, I'm grabbing them and victory lapping.

I'm also much more likely to go full 0RB here unless some crazy value falls my way.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
David Njoku and Pat Friermuth both just got dropped to the waiver wire, which one should I target most as my Mark Andrews Accident Insurance?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Vargo posted:

David Njoku and Pat Friermuth both just got dropped to the waiver wire, which one should I target most as my Mark Andrews Accident Insurance?

Neither

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Backup QBs are fine at the right value. As long as you don’t have like Burrow and Lamar and you’re just praying someone overpays for one of them, it’s cool

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Vargo posted:

I'm a Friermuth believer. Njoku has stone hands and will deliver acceptable results maybe 3 games a year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

T-Square posted:

FINE I’ll drop my Just-in-case-Rodgers-really-sucks Anthony Richardson stash for Hyatt or something lol

To be fair I said “don’t draft a backup QB if you drafted a top 5 QB.”

If you punted the position there’s nothing wrong with taking 2 and hoping one works out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vargo posted:

A guy in my league just dropped 20% of his FAAB on Evan Hull, is he a massive idiot or does he know something I really don't?

Unless I also missed some breaking news he's trying to hit a parlay that

1) Evan Hull, a 5th round rookie, is good
2) Taylor misses a bunch of time
3) Hull wins the lead back job over Deon Jackson and Zack Moss instead of being part of a committee
4) The Colts aren't just doghit awful

Shoot your shot but that seems pretty thin

T-Square
May 14, 2009

RCarr posted:

To be fair I said “don’t draft a backup QB if you drafted a top 5 QB.”

If you punted the position there’s nothing wrong with taking 2 and hoping one works out.

Yeah, I did take Rodgers and Richardson in the 12th and 13th, but I highly doubt somebody will snap up Richardson in the first few weeks (or that he’ll be any better than Rodgers for that matter lol).

Classic fantasy should I or shouldn’t I, football is back baybee

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
On Saturday I probably have to drop Richardson in 3 leagues for a kicker or TE. So he will obviously turn out to be Michael Vick reincarnated.

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
Just finished my first first redraft this season, 12 team .5 PPR. 4th pick

Was kind of wild. The first defence was off the board in round 4, first kicker in the 5th.

I went with the 100% consensus and non debatable strategy of not getting a second QB if I got a top guy (Burrow in the 5th). Also, not picking up a second TE. Thanks Beersheets for the guide as always!

QB Burrow
RB Ekeler, Jacobs, Kamara, Penny
WR Waddle, Watson, Godwin, Dotson, Bateman, Sky Moore, Hyatt
TE Engram
K Gano
D Pitt

RB’s kept getting sniped on me so the majority of my bench is WR’s

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jalin Hyatt just went undrafted in the goon 20-team half-PPR league that picks 280 total players.

unless you can do keepers, I'd drop him and get a QB2

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004

pmchem posted:

Jalin Hyatt just went undrafted in the goon 20-team half-PPR league that picks 280 total players.

unless you can do keepers, I'd drop him and get a QB2

Well poo poo. Sam Howell is best still in the board according to yahoo

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Oh god my beer league and 20-team league QBs face off on Thursday.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Floofy posted:

Well poo poo. Sam Howell is best still in the board according to yahoo

on second thought, lol welp

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea I guess that’s my feel on it too. Unless nearly everyone in your league is only holding one QB, your emergency options are all going to be the bottom 10 guys in the league, and that can be really awful pickings. Meanwhile, Rabat breakout rookie RB/WR is probably more likely to be available on the waiver wire than riding your bench all season. Personal choice and all that, but I just like to have someone halfway decent as QB insurance than garbage.

My league is mostly casuals so most people will likely be drafting 2 QBs and there are two wildcard players who might draft a 3rd for some godforsaken reason. When we were 12 teams that really made it risky to draft just 1 QB, the waiver was not kind if your starter went down and that's what I'm more concerned about over bye week filler.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m a little surprised how horny people are getting for Raheem Mostert. He’s been going like 2 rounds ahead of ADP in my drafts. I get that he is now the de facto lead back in a good offense. But he’s also 31, never been a lead back, and is mostly known for always being hurt. If they don’t add Hunt or Fournette or something he’s gonna die and we will have to deal with :siren: Salvon Ahmed priority waiver pickup :siren: at some point this season

Epi Lepi posted:

My league is mostly casuals so most people will likely be drafting 2 QBs and there are two wildcard players who might draft a 3rd for some godforsaken reason. When we were 12 teams that really made it risky to draft just 1 QB, the waiver was not kind if your starter went down and that's what I'm more concerned about over bye week filler.

Yeah this is fair you have to know your league. If they’re a bunch of QB hoarders it makes more sense to roster a backup so you aren’t cursed to start Desmond Ridder if your QB1 doesn’t pan out for whatever reason.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Docjowles posted:

I’m a little surprised how horny people are getting for Raheem Mostert. He’s been going like 2 rounds ahead of ADP in my drafts. I get that he is now the de facto lead back in a good offense. But he’s also 31, never been a lead back, and is mostly known for always being hurt. If they don’t add Hunt or Fournette or something he’s gonna die and we will have to deal with :siren: Salvon Ahmed priority waiver pickup :siren: at some point this season

I think Mostert horny levels over 9,000 can be attributed to the fact that Achane is questionable, so it’s a week 1 thing

I dunno

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is Deon Jackson worth picking up for the first four weeks while Taylor is out do you think? In my draft I co-run with my brother he accidentally picked up a second kicker by bidding on him when he could have grabbed Moestert, a nearly unforgivable sin. Full PPR, standard scoring

I could also pick up Hyatt but I should probably grab a RB. Slim pickings on that though

edit: other options.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 4, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you need a flex level rb for that span he’s probably fine? It could be pretty gross though between him, Hull, and Moss coming back in a couple weeks. Plus their insane rushing QB who might actually be the goal line back.

Out of that list of sad sacks I’m interested in Charbonnet although he’s the opposite bet, hoping he earns more and more work as the season goes on.

I also like Spears as a stash if you have deep benches. If Henry gets hurt he will have an insane role.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

omg Spears hell yeah that's the one

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Cnidario posted:

I think Mostert horny levels over 9,000 can be attributed to the fact that Achane is questionable, so it’s a week 1 thing

I dunno

Is Achane even going to split with Mostert if he's healthy? Isn't he a small dude?

I thought Wilson got a lot of goal line work.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

omg Spears hell yeah that's the one

Pair them with Swift for one hell of a concert experience

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

axelord posted:

Is Achane even going to split with Mostert if he's healthy? Isn't he a small dude?

I thought Wilson got a lot of goal line work.

Wilson is on IR and "could return later this year"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kiimo posted:

Is Deon Jackson worth picking up for the first four weeks while Taylor is out do you think? In my draft I co-run with my brother he accidentally picked up a second kicker by bidding on him when he could have grabbed Moestert, a nearly unforgivable sin. Full PPR, standard scoring

I could also pick up Hyatt but I should probably grab a RB. Slim pickings on that though

edit: other options.

If Allgeier gets even 1/3 of Atlanta's carries (he'll probably get closer to 2/5 or half if you ask me) (and Atlanta runs a lot) he'll be a decent option to have rostered even if Bijan never even gets hurt. Also, holy poo poo sign Spears, his playoff schedule is amazing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone have a podcast recommendation? I don't like more than one or two but I've been out of the loop on fantasy podcasts for the last few years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

yeah I got Spears thanks I feel good about that.

Derrick Henry has a lot of mileage, it's not a bad bet that he'll start feeling his 30 years with brutal carries soon

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

If Allgeier gets half of the Falcons carries then Bijan's ADP is way way too high.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Draft done, 2 people phone kept cutting out so half their picks were autodraft because for some reason they don't own a computer. They autodraft gave them the SF D in the third round. 10 team, PPR.

QB: Allen
RB: Bijan, Pollard
WR: JJ, AJB
TE: Goedert
Flex: Pierce

Bench:
D. Johnson
M. Williams
J. Dotson
R. White
D. Montgomery
K. Herbert
T. Higbee

Kicker: Younghoe
D: Cowboys

Thoughts on if I should put anyone from bench in for starters week one? Thinking putting Higbee in since Kupp will be out.

take me you ANIMAL fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
In one of my dynasty leagues where I'm contending, I'm trying to trade for Henry, but I don't want to be stuck holding the bag on him, so I'm asking the guy to send me Spears with him and he won't budge. I should probably just overpay a little bit because I think my window closes after next year. I might as well go all out now.

I have the opposite problem in my other dynasty league (also superflex). This is our first year and I wasn't happy with my startup draft, so I decided to go full blown tank. After a few drinks last night, I traded Bijan Robinson, Dak Prescott, and Khalil Herbert for 3 2024 1st round picks and a 2025 1st. I probably should have asked for more, but I don't think he would have accepted the trade if I did. Trading Bijan wasn't easy, he could have still been useful to me after a 3 year rebuild. But my goal is to tank for Caleb Williams since my current qbs arent great, and our rookie draft order is determined by max points, so I wanted to get all those guys off of my team. My team is terrible now but at least I have 8 picks in the first two rounds of our 2024 rookie draft. They can't all be busts, right? ...right?