Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Because he chased me doggedly with 2 armies, Rakarth swallowed him up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
New trailer just dropped: https://youtu.be/4Oy2JcaSAWo?si=fjF-ZslupIyyY5C_

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

One thing the battle AI seems better at is focusing down my squishy flying casters. My iridescent horrors/Blue Scribes died CONSTANTLY in battle because I'd take my eyes off them for two seconds and enemy range would melt them down.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They focus flyers a little -too- well because they will have infantry chase them around on the ground, just in case they might land, meanwhile your army is mulching the 20% of their forces that ran into you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Things look fine, they just have a horrible description about being chaos beasts. They and the Incarnate Beast Elemental both work pretty well, I think, as long as you change the Things description to be spirits of the deep woods and definitely not chaos beasts. And the elemental of beasts is just that, so works for being available to beastmen just because it's coming from their ties to beast lore, not chaos related.

The Akshina are just...bad. Description is wrong (why are Katarin's secret police just hanging out with Ostankya?) and their stat line is just beyond absurd. It's just a straight upgrade to Streltsi, far easier to recruit, and for the same price. If you changed the name to some kind of random woodsman experts, it seems fine, but I have no idea what to do about their stats or why they exist. Drop their AP ranged damage and give them some kind of ranged contact effect like blinded so they can support other troops? Imo, they would look better with bows instead of crossbows too, especially if they are changed from akshina. If CA thinks kislev needs more ranged AP damage I'd rather them buff streltsi instead.

Ostankya being able to recruit boyars doesn't bother me, though I think there should be a hag lord (maybe exclusive to her) and I think you should only be able to recruit her spooky woods units from oblasts/non-cities. Ideally, I'd also say you can't recruit them without a Hag in the army but I won't anyway so that's OK.

So...mostly ok but the akshina still are the worst in terms of both mechanically and thematically, but the latter can be reworked by renaming them I guess.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The empire is the best faction since they fight against power creep

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The what?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Queue the Empire getting a Chimera SEM and Imperial Zoo Manticore riders (both will be added to the Beastmen roster) in the next premium DLC.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Beastmen stay winning.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
THE BRAYHERDS COME

FACTION DESTROYED

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Is there a mod to get rid of that awful screech sound when you boot up the game?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm really enjoying Yuan Bo's campaign, and I think it's because even though he's got a split start, it's basically two relatively easy starts against minors, so you get to do the fun part of the game (establishing yourself early, trying to get some diplomacy spun up, looking forward to developments later) twice at once.

Also the game keeps shoveling "hey! your upkeep is too high! get that down for gold! hey! your income is negative! fix it for more gold! hey! make an alliance with someone! for gold!" tiny baby missions at me despite being on VH/VH, but I'll take the freebies.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Is there a mod to get rid of that awful screech sound when you boot up the game?

What sound? I haven't noticed anything weird.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Probably means the beginning of the intro cinematic as the books come into view.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just keep hitting escape from the first text splash until you get to the menu.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I'm really enjoying Yuan Bo's campaign, and I think it's because even though he's got a split start, it's basically two relatively easy starts against minors, so you get to do the fun part of the game (establishing yourself early, trying to get some diplomacy spun up, looking forward to developments later) twice at once.

I started as Yuan Bo in RoC for some godforsaken reason and it's dull, since Cathay is so strong in it. Loved the quest battle for the magic weapon and the jet lions are exactly what Cathay needed for aggressive play.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

The mod I like for this is "Disable startup splash screens / intros"

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Anyone tried the Dread King's Legions mod? It looks like its an attempt to turn tomb kings into tomb greeks.

e: tomb greeks/romans. The models are pretty well done so far.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 3, 2023

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Carcer posted:

Anyone tried the Dread King's Legions mod? It looks like its an attempt to turn tomb kings into tomb greeks.

e: tomb greeks/romans. The models are pretty well done so far.

Tried it back when it was part of that massive faction pack for TWW2, felt a little bit on the overpowered side, after you get over your start and earning cash nothing really could stop your stacks with the new units in them. But that was 90% of that mod's factions tbf.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I love continue campaign since it skips boot up sounds

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Tried it back when it was part of that massive faction pack for TWW2, felt a little bit on the overpowered side, after you get over your start and earning cash nothing really could stop your stacks with the new units in them. But that was 90% of that mod's factions tbf.

I'll see how it is now that its separated out.

e: So you played before you were sandwiched between volkmar and repanse, with a bunch of other scary LLs hidden just offscreen, right?

Carcer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 3, 2023

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had some old saves, and I was able to confirm that you can get the Chorf and WoC campaign achievements by doing their final RoC battle. There was a possibility that wouldn't work, I remember having to wait for a patch in order for Grom the Paunch's Vortex campaign to count for Orcs.

And I found a new bug in the Chorf finale battle! Before this patch, the dwarfs would initially start at various points around the edges of the map. Now, it seems, the AI is allowed to arrange the reinforcements how they want like a normal battle, so they start right up next to the fort in a big orderly block. This happened in the campaign, but not when I tried it from the quest battle menu.
___

I also blew through a Mother Ostankya campaign on RoC. The final reward has you curse an entire race to receive massive penalties to growth, Winds of Magic, and attrition forever. It's pretty rad, but I think you can only do it once, so if you plan to keep playing after the final battle you have to consider.

You make progress by spending her special spirit essence currency, and the rate you can spend it is limited by the number of special ingredients you have. Each one can be used once per turn, so I was just hammering what I could every turn, definitely making it faster than I could spend. I think there is one ingredient that can't be obtained in RoC because you need to encounter the Tomb Kings for it. That and her being surrounded by unpleasant climate were my main frustrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm in danger.

I managed to win through the power of incredible violence (And an undead elephant)

Failed to kill any of his good units, though.

e: welp here comes Settra.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 3, 2023

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Carcer posted:

I'll see how it is now that its separated out.

e: So you played before you were sandwiched between volkmar and repanse, with a bunch of other scary LLs hidden just offscreen, right?

Repanse was there, as was Setra, the dwarf guy and especially the Lizards lurking down South.

Dr Christmas posted:

You make progress by spending her special spirit essence currency, and the rate you can spend it is limited by the number of special ingredients you have. Each one can be used once per turn, so I was just hammering what I could every turn, definitely making it faster than I could spend. I think there is one ingredient that can't be obtained in RoC because you need to encounter the Tomb Kings for it. That and her being surrounded by unpleasant climate were my main frustrations.

Best way to grind your way to each curse is hammering out a bunch of junk trinkets every turn and using the Cleansing Chant on cooldown if you're not pushing into particularly corrupted territory, as it'll still work even if the territory doesn't have any corruption.

A particularly good tool she has, and a good spender, is the upgraded Jinxed Land curse. There's nothing like taking a particularly nasty enemy stack and yeeting them off into the middle of Ulthwan, or the rear end end of the map down at Oreon's Camp or the Cathay forest. I'm in the middle at another run with her on Immortal Empires and I've sent Archeon off to Brazil over and over while I try to reclaim Kislev from Daniel the Daemon Prince, of all people.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Oh duh of course he would be in the same place in IE as ME. I don't know why I thought he'd be somewhere else.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Guys, CA broke the shirts

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

so I was playing Ikit Claw and I did nothing wrong and all of a sudden I'm being attacked by Dwarfs / Tomb Kings / Wood Elfs who have all put aside their differences to fight against me at the same time and in the same battle.

As neat as it is to know that I did nothing wrong so hard as to piss them all off, there's something weird about seeing them all form a single cooperative battle line against me. They don't fight each other, they don't attack separately, nothing at all to suggest they're separate factions. They just form into one single army as if they've been friends forever.

As I was calling a Doomrocket onto my own head, taking thousands of them out with me, I thought about how loving cool (and better) it would be to have 1v1v1v1 FFA battles where the AI fought against itself and you were caught in the middle, instead of fighting the loving U.N.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

GolfHole posted:

so I was playing Ikit Claw and I did nothing wrong and all of a sudden I'm being attacked by Dwarfs / Tomb Kings / Wood Elfs who have all put aside their differences to fight against me at the same time and in the same battle.

As neat as it is to know that I did nothing wrong so hard as to piss them all off, there's something weird about seeing them all form a single cooperative battle line against me. They don't fight each other, they don't attack separately, nothing at all to suggest they're separate factions. They just form into one single army as if they've been friends forever.

As I was calling a Doomrocket onto my own head, taking thousands of them out with me, I thought about how loving cool (and better) it would be to have 1v1v1v1 FFA battles where the AI fought against itself and you were caught in the middle, instead of fighting the loving U.N.

3 way plus must break the AI very badly because it is conspicuous that neutral AI will reinforce against a common enemy, but enemy AI won't.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I mean fighting the Last Grand Alliance of Elf, Dwarf and Desiccated Egyptian Noble sounds kinda cool tbh :v:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Actually even weirder is that the Dwarfs and Tomb Kings are at war.

Yet they'll still join forces to attack a humble rat scientist. Multiple battles, even.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I applaud their commitment to the "Kill all loving rats" principle

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Drake meme bad part: Rats doing science
Drake meme good part: Doing science with rats

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

GolfHole posted:

Actually even weirder is that the Dwarfs and Tomb Kings are at war.

Yet they'll still join forces to attack a humble rat scientist. Multiple battles, even.

There's a bit in their lore where dwarf expeditions sometimes go into ancient tombs and vaults to recover lost artifacts since their previous owners are dead. The incursion wakes up a tomb king, who goes after the artifact since its his, but the dwarves say ownership ends at death and since the tomb king has no living relatives it reverts back to the descendants of the dwarf who made it.

The fine points of the above contract dispute are settled with axes and khopeshes.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Well it must have went like this:

Arkhan: RETURN TO ME WHAT WAS STOLEN
Belagar: Wasn't me. Rats of unusual size completely normal size must have done this.
Orion & Durthu: Bloody fookin' rats, mate. Innit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I applaud their commitment to the "Kill all loving rats" principle

Given the whole undercity and plague mechanics the skaven have, I murder all rats on principle whenever I encounter them regardless of who I'm playing.

Like [other] Nurgle factions. They're just bad neighbors.

I am going to get my small but vicious dog, even if that dog happens to be undead, demonic, or a squig.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I'm liking how aggresively boring Yuan Bo is as a character. He and Eltharion would probably fight over the smallest room.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Welp repanse was smashing the crap out of me until my reinforcements arrived, and as I was barely squeaking out a win the game crashed :v:

I'm going to reload and attack someone else, I don't have enough hoplites or undead minotaurs to fight that much cavalry.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How's Normal and Hard battle AI? are they as dumb as very hard or do they do the smart thing and attack move blindly forward?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Hard is actually flanking me and using its archers to attack my archers/javelineers, not entirely destroying its battle line when a single cavalry unit gets close and targeting my characters with its characters.

Its still not exactly tactically brilliant but its putting up a fight.

e: WELP SKARBRANDS COMING TO THE PARTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hadn't really thought about it on the cost front since most people here are talking about them in context of campaign, but the Akshina are apparently stupidly OP there as well. Their most comparable unit is probably Shades, and yet Akshina both cost 100 less than Shades AND have a ludicrously powerful AP melee attack as well. Oh, and have more models in the unit. Seriously, they're wielding generic 1-handed swords, where the gently caress are they getting high damage majority AP melee attacks from?