Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

roomtone posted:

with the weapons bay unlock, can i equip both a missile pack and an additional hand weapon on the shoulder, or is it either/or?

If you put a hand weapon in the shoulder slot, you swap weapons when "shooting" the corresponding shoulder button. If you have a shoulder-mounted weapon like missile launchers, it still just shoots that weapon. But you can have a missile launcher in the left shoulder and a weapon swap in the right shoulder, if that's what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Phenotype posted:

That first helicopter boss, that's just a bad boss, right? Flying out of bounds constantly in an arena where there's no good reason for boundaries in the first place, kind of a weird deceptive speed so it feels like sometimes your boost just arbitrarily won't reach him. I beat him after about a dozen tries, but as far as I'm concerned I should have beat him three or four times before that. Maybe a lot of it was me still being very uncomfortable with the controls, but it just felt way too mushy to be a Fromsoft game. Quite a few times I'd be in front of the helicopter and I'd hammer the trigger and the mech would pull out his sword and act like he's gonna slash the thing, but then just kinda haltingly stops and maybe boosts a little more instead and never actually attacks. Or I'd boost right up to him but lol he's actually a foot out of bounds, so you can't hit him with the sword.

Please tell me that's not a good indicator of what I'm in for with the rest of the game. :ohdear: Skill issue?

It took me a good 10-20 tries to beat the helicopter also and while I don't think it's a bad boss I think the ordering of bosses in this game is weird. But then, every From game is like this. There is no difficulty curve, it is peaks and valleys all the way. After you beat that helicopter I'd be surprised if you struggle with anything in all of chapter 1.

Then the end of chapter 1 boss is a monster and took me about 100 attempts. The boss on the mission after that? 3 attempts and once I figured out what to do it wasn't even hard.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

That first helicopter boss, that's just a bad boss, right? Flying out of bounds constantly in an arena where there's no good reason for boundaries in the first place, kind of a weird deceptive speed so it feels like sometimes your boost just arbitrarily won't reach him. I beat him after about a dozen tries, but as far as I'm concerned I should have beat him three or four times before that. Maybe a lot of it was me still being very uncomfortable with the controls, but it just felt way too mushy to be a Fromsoft game. Quite a few times I'd be in front of the helicopter and I'd hammer the trigger and the mech would pull out his sword and act like he's gonna slash the thing, but then just kinda haltingly stops and maybe boosts a little more instead and never actually attacks. Or I'd boost right up to him but lol he's actually a foot out of bounds, so you can't hit him with the sword.

Please tell me that's not a good indicator of what I'm in for with the rest of the game. :ohdear: Skill issue?

The only thing here is the out-of-bounds stuff, which definitely feels extremely dumb with this boss. Some of the other ones do go out of bounds, but never so far that you can't actually melee them when they are, or at the very least they don't stop from there.

But no, it's a skill issue. You'll get better. Beating this boss was the first step. Bosses will boost around at silly speeds that you can't hope to catch--the skill is identifying when they're stopping and using that window to punish them. Also, the way you described that last sentence, you definitely melee canceled yourself. If you press quick boost after you start your melee attack but before you swing, you'll cancel the attack. Which has its own uses, but probably wasn't what you were attempting to do.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, you're doing what I did early on and spamming movement controls too much. If you attack with the sword and then input any boost movement before the swing fully starts, you cancel out of it. Which is a great higher level technique to abuse the melee boost, but early on is just going to cost you damage.

Also: If you weren't, you need to use the assault boost to close the distance, not just normal boost.

The heli moving out of bounds is a dick move by the devs but you just gotta play around it.

So to answer the direct question: Yes, it is a sign of things to come if you don't start mastering your movement and managing your boost. Every boss is going to have some combination of movement and attack patterns you should learn to be able to optimize the fight, if not win at all. At least until you get the parts to go full facemelt. And even then, some bosses will still need some finesse to go with the face melting.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a consistent problem with accidentally assault boosting when I'm only trying to move. Wonder if I can remap that to another button because I have a heavy thumb and click the stick without realising.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

roomtone posted:

I've got a consistent problem with accidentally assault boosting when I'm only trying to move. Wonder if I can remap that to another button because I have a heavy thumb and click the stick without realising.

I remapped Assault Boost to Circle and regular Boost to R3 and never looked back

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Runa posted:

I remapped Assault Boost to Circle and regular Boost to R3 and never looked back

good call, i'll try that

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
NG down. I just completely destroyed Rubicon and killed everyone oops

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

brand engager posted:

I haven't seen any weapons that were bad, everything is made to fit some goal or build constraint.

look at the stats more when you're flicking through them. there's a pretty significant number of weapons like missiles where the weight difference between the small and medium or medium and large versions aren't enough to actually impact your AC's speed. there's also a few energy weapons that are basically just inferior versions of others, iirc there's a plasma rifle that both does significantly less damage and has significantly less ammo than another one in exchange for shooting 30% faster. and that's not to really getting into problems with actual weapon behavior, like the heavy cluster missile launcher that launches half of its projectiles directly into the ground after the first stage if your target is anywhere close to the ground. or the stagger system in general

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

dog nougat posted:

Yeah I do feel like Walter and Carla kind of undersold the consequences there. Like I got the feeling the Fires of Ibis was a huge thing because there was so much coral floating around back then, and the plan now is to burn it before it gets to an amount where it can cause such devastation when it inevitably goes off anyway. But nope it's just Fires of Ibis 2.0.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

dog nougat posted:

The game wanted me to kill Carla and I didn't have the heart to do it either. She broke me out of corpo jail!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Warmachine posted:

Also, the way you described that last sentence, you definitely melee canceled yourself. If you press quick boost after you start your melee attack but before you swing, you'll cancel the attack. Which has its own uses, but probably wasn't what you were attempting to do.

Thanks a lot, I figured it was something like this. A lot of things about that combat I was feeling myself getting very annoyed at just kinda not knowing what was going on, this early in the game. I'm sure I'm just missing certain things about the controls but in the heat of the moment it's just "argh why the gently caress isn't this working??" haha

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Warmachine posted:

It's a comparison thing. All of the weapons are viable and have a niche, but specifically the Zimmerman shotguns, the miniguns, the songbirds, and the shock spike are WILDLY overtuned such that they are almost the best choice in every situation. Like my dual laser pistols fast build is good, and I can negotiate pretty much every encounter except one with that loadout. But if I switch to the 'meta' zimmerman/songbird loadout, everything--and I mean everything--is infinitely easier. Actually, the shock spike was my 'I'm sick of this fight and I'm done loving around' swap, and if I switched my shoulders for two of those that was it.

None of the weapons are bad, but some weapons significantly overperform in areas that aren't their 'niche.' And I'll fully admit that makes me a bit bitter. The 420th poster talking about clearing a boss with Zimmermans/Songbirds is boring. The game probably needs some tweaking to bring the meta weapons down a bit, and bring the other choices up to meet them.

You didn’t even list any of the best weapons in the game so I think it’s more balanced than you think

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Beat IBIS last night in 3 tries!

Seems like a great boss to practice staying in optimal range for your weapons. I got really in the groove with hitting the sweet spot on my d/w Ducketts and twin needle cannons

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Ibis has a specific ebb and flow and you have to definitely know your weapon’s effective range. I think people struggle because it’s a boss where you can definitely just let it come to you instead of constantly chasing it. If you chase too much you’ll get caught flat footed without energy when it does a big attack.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shyrka posted:

Yeah I do feel like Walter and Carla kind of undersold the consequences there. Like I got the feeling the Fires of Ibis was a huge thing because there was so much coral floating around back then, and the plan now is to burn it before it gets to an amount where it can cause such devastation when it inevitably goes off anyway. But nope it's just Fires of Ibis 2.0.

If you read the notes they're specifically trying to prevent the collapse and destruction of the human species as the main scientists predicted coral would exponentially grow out of control and somehow lead to total collapse. It wasnt clear to me why they thought that, I think basically either fires of ibis across the universe or the coral itself would gently caress with humans in the same way augmentation did. Which is also why the Ibis and other "coral containment" measures existed, to some extent.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Stun gun pistols + either plasma missiles or laser drones are so loving good. You can stay mobile enough that most hits just won’t connect and the acs damage you do means a ton of stuns and a ton of bleed damage. The Zimmerman/missile boat people im squaring off against are just getting obliterated

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

look at the stats more when you're flicking through them. there's a pretty significant number of weapons like missiles where the weight difference between the small and medium or medium and large versions aren't enough to actually impact your AC's speed. there's also a few energy weapons that are basically just inferior versions of others, iirc there's a plasma rifle that both does significantly less damage and has significantly less ammo than another one in exchange for shooting 30% faster. and that's not to really getting into problems with actual weapon behavior, like the heavy cluster missile launcher that launches half of its projectiles directly into the ground after the first stage if your target is anywhere close to the ground. or the stagger system in general

Are you talking about the launchers that are the same but with more cells? Those gain like 50% more cells for way more than 50% more equip load. The reduced cell versions are what I use on my light AC because the larger versions would push me over the weight/EN limit.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Crow posted:

If you read the notes they're specifically trying to prevent the collapse and destruction of the human species as the main scientists predicted coral would exponentially grow out of control and somehow lead to total collapse. It wasnt clear to me why they thought that, I think basically either fires of ibis across the universe or the coral itself would gently caress with humans in the same way augmentation did. Which is also why the Ibis and other "coral containment" measures existed, to some extent.

the denser coral is the more quickly it reproduces. the "collapse" they mention is the density of coral increasing to the point that it collapses into a singularity and its mass and rate of reproduction reaches infinity.

brand engager posted:

Are you talking about the launchers that are the same but with more cells? Those gain like 50% more cells for way more than 50% more equip load. The reduced cell versions are what I use on my light AC because the larger versions would push me over the weight/EN limit.

AFAIK there's no actual negative effect to going over the weight limit. it it doesn't slow you down when you're overburdened there's no downside

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Time posted:

Stun gun pistols + either plasma missiles or laser drones are so loving good. You can stay mobile enough that most hits just won’t connect and the acs damage you do means a ton of stuns and a ton of bleed damage. The Zimmerman/missile boat people im squaring off against are just getting obliterated

The top attack plasma missiles are great. They have really good tracking if you're using that one all-rounder FCS and the splash damage makes near misses into hits anyway.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there any way to keep the paint schemes of the AC data from Arena combatants? Seems like if you go to assembly then removing the edit lock clears the paint scheme into something generic.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

turn off the TV posted:

AFAIK there's no actual negative effect to going over the weight limit. it it doesn't slow you down when you're overburdened there's no downside

Actually you do start to take a pretty decent hit to your boost speed the more overweight you are. You can still operate normally, just at reduced speed and efficiency.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Urethane posted:

Is there any way to keep the paint schemes of the AC data from Arena combatants? Seems like if you go to assembly then removing the edit lock clears the paint scheme into something generic.

Lol yes. Chose it, go to paint, remove the lock. Leave and discard changes. The paint job will revert to normal and the lock will be disabled. Just save the AC data so you don't have to do it again.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 3, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

like the heavy cluster missile launcher that launches half of its projectiles directly into the ground after the first stage if your target is anywhere close to the ground.

There's some nuance to using these - they do not fire directly at your target, they fire where your camera is pointed, then seek the target.

https://i.imgur.com/6xx4gka.mp4

They also don't need a lock-on. You're just firing a projectile that explodes into homing missiles, not firing the missiles themselves.

This may mean that they work with any FCS but I haven't tested that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 3, 2023

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I started using the boosters that improve assault boosting and I swear my kicks are hitting harder now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I finally cleared the NG++ boss, and absurdly enough it just drove home the point that twin shotguns are not overpowered. Just that bosses are overturned against too many other weapons.

Their first body generally ate poo poo no matter what I brought. Second body was cartoon durable Got close with dual Scudder, but then they just kept flying directly upwards to 400+ height. Twin burst SMG run just kind of felt like it was doing basically zero damage even when not deflecting. Twin double hunter missile spam as satisfying as it was to watch all four of those slam into their face to help stagger, didn't seem to hurt much.

So I brought twin Earshot grenade launchers thinking I was imagining things, but even then the damage was more comparable to my kicks. So my shotgun/Earshots run was basically playing backwards, stagger setup with zip code sized explosions, then shoot their staggered "will just dodge melee for the Nth time" body with twin shotguns before they could warp away to ranges that deflect long guns.

Also realizing I am so button mashed out on a surprise 90 degree day, that I can hardly shitpost about videogame balance good.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 3, 2023

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Two questions for the knowledgeable folks, sorry if they've been asked already:

1. Are melee attacks considered "short-range" attacks and therefore impacted by the choice of FCS? Or are they their own thing?

2. Custom decals - the ones you can bring in from the image editor - seem like low-res bitmaps that get super blurry when you enlarge them even a modest amount. The "Preset" decals all seem like vector graphics and can be scaled up without getting blurry, or are at least very high-res bitmaps. What gives? Any solution folks have found? (I'll admit I know just enough about this topic to think I know what I'm talking about, but could very well not actually know how this is handled in games).

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Two questions for the knowledgeable folks, sorry if they've been asked already:

1. Are melee attacks considered "short-range" attacks and therefore impacted by the choice of FCS? Or are they their own thing?

2. Custom decals - the ones you can bring in from the image editor - seem like low-res bitmaps that get super blurry when you enlarge them even a modest amount. The "Preset" decals all seem like vector graphics and can be scaled up without getting blurry, or are at least very high-res bitmaps. What gives? Any solution folks have found? (I'll admit I know just enough about this topic to think I know what I'm talking about, but could very well not actually know how this is handled in games).

To point #2 - it seems like that's the case unfortunately. At least they give you a bunch of presets to work with. I've spent way too long basically tattooing my mech setups with emblems from the arena. You can get some really interesting designs just by fiddling around rotating and enlarging them all over the place. My mechs are all completely plastered with the emblems from defeated foes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

War Wizard posted:

Lol yes. Chose it, go to paint, remove the lock. Leave and discard changes. The paint job will revert to normal and the lock will be disabled. Just save the AC data so you don't have to do it again.

Sweet thanks

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Goddamn this alternate ng+ dam mission is hard as hell.

I can get iguazu no prob, but the other dude in the tank is just wrecking me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Thumbtacks posted:

I started using the boosters that improve assault boosting and I swear my kicks are hitting harder now.
they are! press Y/triangle and you'll see all of the stats a given part has. some boosters have stronger melee damage from boosting, ie: kicks

using that + reverse legs + the balam fcs with really good close range tracking is extremely fun, imo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dog nougat posted:

Volta can gently caress right off

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

roomtone posted:

good call, i'll try that

whoops I meant L3 but yeah

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

dog nougat posted:

He's got a ton of KE defense, try bringing energy weapons. Also never stop moving.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
any tips for destroying the coral transports mission inchapter 3 in ng+++

ive tried a couple load outs so far and always fail.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

how the gently caress do i beat balteus

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

how the gently caress do i beat balteus

dual pulse gun, dual 8-cell vertical missile launchers was how I did it. You can stagger him very quickly and generally he's not fast enough to dodge the missiles.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Romes128 posted:

In my case, Coral rifle can two shot the coral transports, and your biggest frustration is being bad at aiming UP in a hurry. 940 effective range, but locks only work out to 475. I almost got all of them, missed only two so it was a win.

Also when in doubt, fast missiles that fire the whole salvo in one shot for extra hits.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Romes128 posted:

Basic Laser rifles on a quad, hover at mid height in the last section. Make sure you have an fcs that is good at mid and long range. Hover, snipe, land for energy, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Romes128 posted:

use a coral generator and a relatively lightweight AC so you are fast and can fly forever and then use the siege missile launchers and 6 cell direct fire launchers. the 10 cell ones might be better though idk