Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If it's a pale cio, does that make it lemonade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

nimby posted:

If it's a pale cio, does that make it lemonade?

maybe more like crystal pepsi

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
siarwai estiael piipiesai

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'll be honest given how hard he tried to preempt the Bury Your Gays allegations I fully expect Cio to come back, and not in a Ship of Theseus situation where Allison has to learn to let go or whatever.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

YaketySass posted:

I'll be honest given how hard he tried to preempt the Bury Your Gays allegations I fully expect Cio to come back, and not in a Ship of Theseus situation where Allison has to learn to let go or whatever.

I mean, I think he was more trying to argue against it being another woman in a fridge (which it’s not, Cio died in action and as a result of the fruits of her own character arc).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Joe Slowboat posted:

I mean, I think he was more trying to argue against it being another woman in a fridge (which it’s not, Cio died in action and as a result of the fruits of her own character arc).

The internet as a whole has a problem with taking “this female character died” as “this female character was fridged” regardless of context or the events around their actual death so getting out ahead of that poo poo was smart.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

my memory isn't great and all but like
there was this big backlash a couple years ago (more then a couple years? time is fake) against this broader trend at the time in pop media where the gay romance subplot always ended with one or both characters dying. and like, it doesn't really matter if each individual instance is justified in the context of the story or not, the broader trend of if gay then die was loving depressing. ever since then there's been a lot of touchiness over gay characters kicking the bucket, at least on the inescapable cesspit of twitter
that's what the whole 'bury your gays' thing was about i thought, not about women getting fridged? that's a completely separate lineage of comic book misogyny

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, bury your gays was distinct from fridging. Overall the trend was probably because the gay characters were usually a secondary pairing ripe for some cheap drama via killing one of them, which of course we can't do to the main, straight pair. Especially since gay relationships are usually already more tragic on TV than the straight ones already, making it all the more tempting.

And when the gay characters were the main couple, well, lots and lots of gay media likes to have a sad ending.

It's always been a thing but it got much better known after the great lesbian death wave of 2016.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's the same basic phenomenon of those characters not really getting agency or a story in their own right, just existing to die for a moment of cheap pathos and give the people who actually matter some Depth™

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
iirc it was also exacerbated by writers saying "well we want to be As LBGT Positive As We're Allowed To Be" and then cut the relationship off at the point The Networks started to complain about what was being shown (and what better way to do that than a dramatic death)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't buy that this comic is an example of that, because Allison and White Chain are both LGBTQ and still alive, and Cio didn't die BECAUSE she was gay. Plus she was a fully formed character who did not just have the sole purpose of dying to progress Allison's story.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The way to get around narrative traps like Bury Your Gays is to flood your story with so many queer people that no individual character represents All Gay People, no single story represents the entire queer experience, etc. Abaddon 's done admirably well on that front, I think.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't buy that this comic is an example of that, because Allison and White Chain are both LGBTQ and still alive, and Cio didn't die BECAUSE she was gay. Plus she was a fully formed character who did not just have the sole purpose of dying to progress Allison's story.

No argument there, but that's the conflation of "fridging" and "kill your gays" again-- the latter has nothing to do with the former necessarily, as much as it does the sheer volume of "gay couples killed off because of reasons that make sense or are justifiable from an in-narrative standpoint but taken as a whole across the entertainment industry are concerning in their frequency and people are loving tired of seeing"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

oh i don't think it is either, for exactly those reasons
never mind like, there's a world of difference between a 1 person project and a corporate product with a massive production team

i am kind of bummed that it looks like cio is gone for good, but i don't think i'd call her a victim of burying one's gays

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's good that we're sad about Cio dying. I wouldn't be invested in the story without those kind of stakes and consequences.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
tbh I think the argument kind of gets mired in the idea that if something matches any negative trope it's inherently bad so people try to contort about how a story doesn't have that trope because they like the author

cio was gay and died, this story has a dead gay, the trope is Unambiguously There (at least, barring a narrative magical resurrection, which it may or may not), but I also agree that it's not super worth dwelling on in a vaccuum-- there's a huge volume of other media out there that's "they did this and also these 10 other justified-by-the-narrative-but-lovely things elsewhere in the same work" and that's why they don't get a pass, not because the trope itself is an automatic go-to-jail-do-not-pass-go card

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Burying One's Gays being so broad in its definition makes it seem a lot like the Bechdel Test: A mere observation when studying any singular piece of media but of considerable value when studying a trend, however no one cares to actually save it for the latter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the bechdel test is a diegetic joke in a comic strip, about having low standards and still being disappointed

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Unless I have a male identifying dick in my mouth as I'm reading a comic it isn't gay enough and I call upon the gay community to help me overcome this grave injustice

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
If Cio doesn't come back then I'm going to get full Aeris in FF7 about it.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I will tell you precisely what Royalty is, it is a continuous shipping motion uwu

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SardonicTyrant posted:

“[…]descended there an angel with a silver sword. An the angel said ‘Come and see,’ and I saw. There upon the great hill of rot, the great and terrible beasts of the earth had gathered, and a hundred thousand times a thousand strong men, girded for war, with chariot and horse and war shade. The ground had cracked and the bowels of the land had split and all manner of ancient things from the cold and old world had crawled from the ash and were making havoc upon the land. There was a sound so terrible it could not be withstood except by those who had, through manner of hardship or war, been exposed to the noise of innumerable dying animals.”

That sounds very peaceful. At least then what I'm always hearing in my heart matches with what the world actually is.

There is a version of it read by Jonny Cash that is lovely. Some of it is in the opening to The Man Comes Around, a similar verse but not that one.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Yeah as a dyke I'm not too bothered by a queer character dying as long as they're not the only queer character around for miles (aside from their now-tragically marooned lover). In a comic that firmly centers a bisexual woman and has other queer characters in it all the time (hello Princess Jack Daniels and whatever is going on with your gender I love you very much), it never felt like a Bury Your Gays thing to me, though I can understand why the writer was afraid of the backlash.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

iirc it was also exacerbated by writers saying "well we want to be As LBGT Positive As We're Allowed To Be" and then cut the relationship off at the point The Networks started to complain about what was being shown (and what better way to do that than a dramatic death)
This is at the heart of it for me. Gay characters being buried felt kind of like a bit of tokenism - have a cool queer character show up for just long enough to get attention and positivity around the series, then axe them so they don't get in trouble with higher-ups. But in K6BD these are characters that have been around for years, given fully formed arcs and personalities and actual reasons to die that benefit the narrative, not just shock value/executive overreach. It doesn't feel like Cio was there just to get me invested and then killed off once she became more of a problem than she was worth, but because the writer actually gave a poo poo about her, and didn't make that decision lightly.

I have no problem with the writer or narrative if Cio doesn't come back. It's just me being sad and soft-hearted and wanting Cio to get a happy ending because I think she's nice.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The point of Cio's death is that Incubus did have a point: Allison should have stopped him, and she's only alive because Maya learned that lesson earlier.

There are people like him who are going to keep ruining everything in reach until someone stops them. There are animals who can only be civilized by the threat of violence. And then there are dead men who can't even be civilized by that.

Sometimes violence is justified; in any case, it is inescapable.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I think that the pale demon having enough agency and sheer will to rebuild it's own mask, rather than having it done for them, speaks to something. White Chain transcended, after all.

I'm guessing that the comic's ending/epilogue will be told by a character that is obviously Cio, but just looks/acts slightly differently.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Which isnt saying much when all of the characters act differently and many of them aren't even obviously who they were. Continuity of identity is overrated.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Even Princess’s various forms and incarnations are vastly different people. And her previous mask was completely destroyed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I fully expect New Coke to break Allison's command and go "screw you, yeah I'm a new person but also I'm back for kisses because I too am a colossal dumbass"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

A Terrible Person posted:

I think that the pale demon having enough agency and sheer will to rebuild it's own mask, rather than having it done for them, speaks to something. White Chain transcended, after all.

I'm guessing that the comic's ending/epilogue will be told by a character that is obviously Cio, but just looks/acts slightly differently.
A Ciocie Cioelle born from destruction, a Ciocie Cioelle born from zero, as it were...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Cio is going to come back as a different person and everyone will hate it, then they'll revert Cio to the old version but this time her blood is replaced with corn syrup to cut costs

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

Cio is going to come back as a different person and everyone will hate it, then they'll revert Cio to the old version but this time her blood is replaced with corn syrup to cut costs

But only in Mammon's worlds.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

wiegieman posted:

There are animals who can only be civilized by the threat of violence.

I'm... not sure that's quite the intended message.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Allison will just command Princess to put on a Cio mask because continuity of identity's bullshit anyway.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Hey, I could be making this up, but was there a discussion in this thread comparing Incubus to a type of character from uh... another comic? a manga? a tabletop RPG?

Basically a person who had a chance at true enlightenment and rejected it and was all the more dangerous because of that? Does anyone remember that, and if someone does, can you point me in that direction?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Pepsi

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

GreenMetalSun posted:

Hey, I could be making this up, but was there a discussion in this thread comparing Incubus to a type of character from uh... another comic? a manga? a tabletop RPG?

Basically a person who had a chance at true enlightenment and rejected it and was all the more dangerous because of that? Does anyone remember that, and if someone does, can you point me in that direction?
The character you are describing is a common archetype in works influenced by buddhist thought, like K6BD, so that doesn't narrow things down per se. But if you could offer some more details I can at least make an educated guess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GreenMetalSun posted:

Iirc it was more about Dave than Incubus (Inky has never been mistaken for somebody close to Enlightenment), in the context of an archetype from the Exalted TRPG I think? I also want to say it was more stumbling at the last step of Enlightenment and falling all the way back down the stairs rather than willfully rejecting it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GreenMetalSun posted:

Sheng Seleris, the setting is Glorantha

e: the archetype is called Occluded iirc, realizes that the world is an illusion and then goes "and i'm gonna be in charge of it"

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

my dad posted:

Sheng Seleris, the setting is Glorantha

e: the archetype is called Occluded iirc, realizes that the world is an illusion and then goes "and i'm gonna be in charge of it"

Yes, this was it. Thank you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Sheng Seleris, Murder Astronaut, who realized everything was a painful illusion, all values were relative, and nothing was of inherent worth, and thus only power matters.

And then conquered the Moon, before the Lunar Empire struck back and sent him to the Special Hell for Sheng Seleris, guarded by the Goddess of Fighting Sheng Seleris. He had an impact on their theology is what I’m saying.