Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Two questions for the knowledgeable folks, sorry if they've been asked already:

1. Are melee attacks considered "short-range" attacks and therefore impacted by the choice of FCS? Or are they their own thing?

They are their own thing, but there are a few different things that impact tracking. Most notably the specific boosters (keikiku I think, something like that) are designed “for melee” and give you insane tracking, very funny to use with a stun baton because you stick to people like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just got the Coral Rifle from the Liberator ending's last boss in NG++ and lol they give you its fully charged energy stream attack. It's not very good but boy is it loving cool

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the Sea Spider was fun. very much a lesson teaching boss. a lesson about circle strafing in the air

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Romes128 posted:

any tips for destroying the coral transports mission inchapter 3 in ng+++

ive tried a couple load outs so far and always fail.

In general, as other posters have pointed out, having plenty of boost so you can fly for a while, and using medium to long range weapons will do work here. The biggest problem I was running into was the Coral explosions that happen when you kill one. They'll do a lot of damage to you if you get caught in the blast, but if they're close together, they will blow each other up when one explodes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

turn off the TV posted:

there's also a few energy weapons that are basically just inferior versions of others, iirc there's a plasma rifle that both does significantly less damage and has significantly less ammo than another one in exchange for shooting 30% faster.
IIRC the Nebula's strength is the gigantic charged attack explosion so it sort of doubles as a grenade launcher, though I agree it should have more ammo.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 3, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I feel like I’m missing some very fundamental ac knowledge in the sense of “how to play” and weapon roles and baiting dodges/punishing, dodge timing, etc

Is there a primer anywhere

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Now on to NG+ and hopefully the mission options I didn't previously take.

Holy poo poo was the Red Comet mission with the ending anime fight with Rusty with infinite boost was so loving hype. Gonna replay that a few times.

Crain fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 4, 2023

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I wouldn't have guessed that's someone you can kill or even fight

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

brand engager posted:

I wouldn't have guessed that's someone you can kill or even fight

Depends on the story choices, and you do twice.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 4, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They were trying to say you should spoiler tag stuff about final bosses.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

I feel like I’m missing some very fundamental ac knowledge in the sense of “how to play” and weapon roles and baiting dodges/punishing, dodge timing, etc

Is there a primer anywhere
I may just be very specifically unlucky with this. But how successfully you can bait the enemy into a shot or punish them seems heavily tied to how high their stagger meter is at the time.

Low stagger meter. good odds of hitting them with a second gun after they dodge your first big shot, or nailing them after you time countering their red flash bazooka/grenade shot leaving them open.

High stagger meter. "The enemy has now dodge canceled out of their red flash three times in as many seconds, rather than suffer the indignity of stagger by twin laser rifle punishing a slow explosive attack."

Eventually you sort of realize how easily you are causing an empty stagger meter to quickly fill up, only for finishing the job to seem suddenly hard.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

raverrn posted:

He's got a ton of KE defense, try bringing energy weapons. Also never stop moving.

Ok. Cool. Had to go to work unfortunately, but I'll give that a shot. My coworker who's just about as far as me kited him over to the tetrapod, so I'll also give that a shot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Crain posted:

Both encounters with this person are either as an end boss, or as the final bonus arena fight, which is also an important story beat.

It's weird that you spoiler tagged the mission details for Breach the Karman line and not the literal name of the final fight, which gives away a major plot point about a character who has been with you for like 60% of the run time...

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I just noticed coral weapons have a different icon from energy weapons, so does that mean they don't benefit from energy damage bonuses from OST chips?

Honestly I've been trying to mess around with the big coral beam gun but I keep going back to melee, it's so hard to tear myself away from the rush of the lance/bunker combo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The combination of non spoilered endboss information in combination with unmarked spoilers about an end game mission is either the stupidest thing I've seen or precision engineered to piss people off and I can't decide which

Shyrka posted:

I just noticed coral weapons have a different icon from energy weapons, so does that mean they don't benefit from energy damage bonuses from OST chips?

Honestly I've been trying to mess around with the big coral beam gun but I keep going back to melee, it's so hard to tear myself away from the rush of the lance/bunker combo.

afaik they just do coral damage which is seperate from energy and anything else

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Come on dude spoiler this poo poo you dumbass

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
My go-to hand weapons for pretty much anything in the game have changed from gatling guns to zimmermans for a while now just because they're so much fun to use... except for the missions where you have to defend stuff from waves of enemies, in which case my go-to's have been the 2nd tier laser rifles, which are excellent. They can rapidly one-shot most all trash mobs from a good distance and, while their charged shots aren't as devastating at close range as the zimmermans, they're no slouches if you have to get close up and dirty with a more powerful enemy.

So yeah, 2nd tier laser rifles are great for defense missions where you'll have to rapidly kill a lot of trash groups coming in from all directions.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I love the double laser rifle and I'm very sad you can't dual wield them without having the biggest muscly arms possible.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Cool.

Well, uh, anyways in late Chapter 4 I dunno if the mission to take down Balam is mechanically harder but the one against Vesper certainly feels worse. RIP Pater, sorry we had to meet like this.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Crain posted:

Ahh you shithead :argh:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Eej posted:

I love the double laser rifle and I'm very sad you can't dual wield them without having the biggest muscly arms possible.

Same. You can get away with one-handing the double laser rifle and other-handing the tier 2 laser rifle on a few of the arms though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TGLT posted:

Cool.

Well, uh, anyways in late Chapter 4 I dunno if the mission to take down Balam is mechanically harder but the one against Vesper certainly feels worse. RIP Pater, sorry we had to meet like this.

The Vespers and Redguns (aside from Rusty of course) all suck cause they are literally employed by megacorps to murder the locals so they can extract natural resources for profit so don't feel too bad about it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Eej posted:

afaik they just do coral damage which is seperate from energy and anything else

Definitely seemed like it wasn't being modified by the energy adjustment stat on generators to me when I was playing with a coral weapon in the simulator

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Eej posted:

The Vespers and Redguns (aside from Rusty of course) all suck cause they are literally employed by megacorps to murder the locals so they can extract natural resources for profit so don't feel too bad about it

Yeah, true, but Pater tried to do a Rusty impression that one time so that puts him pretty high up on the list in this cavalcade of war criminals

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Beat the game as a reverse join speed mech that shotgunned and meleed everything without much difficulty. Now I'm trying for a ranged spider mech and having to relearn all my strategies, or even if that's just not a thing that's actually good or works at all. Still fun to try to workshop things and get them to a usable place. I miss being able to dodge 90% of an enemy's attacks without even boosting.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Eej posted:

The Mind Alpha arms can do it and aren't super heavy. Kind of hard to make them both fit otherwise though, I had to resort to using a coral reactor for it.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
It's funny because Pater and Snail are basically the same kind of weaselly guy, but Pater's so much less of a dick about it.

They're all brutal thugs for resource extracting megacorps, but the Redguns are more down to earth soldier types while the Vespers are more like corporate mascots. Could totally see Arquebus making a Vesper saturday morning cartoon show to appeal to kids, while the only civilians who care about the Redguns are Soldier of Fortune reading weirdos like Red.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eej posted:

Quite a few of them are just punching the clock same as anyone else, though the Vespers have a much higher density of True Believers in their ranks. Pretty sure half of the Redguns are functionally a penal unit.

The only people winning in war and imperialism are the people in the boardrooms and congresshalls, same as ever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Warmachine posted:

Quite a few of them are just punching the clock same as anyone else, though the Vespers have a much higher density of True Believers in their ranks. Pretty sure half of the Redguns are functionally a penal unit.

The only people winning in war and imperialism are the people in the boardrooms and congresshalls, same as ever.

The feds don't seem super pleased about what's going on either though

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The feds don't seem super pleased about what's going on either though

Is that what the PCA is? I couldn't figure out their deal beyond "I guess they set up killsats or something?"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Pater's a little more than just a weasel. At the end of chapter 4, he sets up Maeterlinck to get killed by you so he can climb the ranks. On the trashcan escape mission, if you took the Michigan job, he's commanding the search party and very clearly and smugly announces that he is V.VI now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

Pater's a little more than just a weasel. At the end of chapter 4, he sets up Maeterlinck to get killed by you so he can climb the ranks. On the trashcan escape mission, if you took the Michigan job, he's commanding the search party and very clearly and smugly announces that he is V.VI now.

I don't think I caught that one either. I figured Snail was just leaving the toadies out to die because as ALLMIND points out in NG++ his whole plan was ambush you after you find the convergence/fight IBIS.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

lmao okay so him shouting about him having just made V.V while dying takes on a different but equally as funny tone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Warmachine posted:

Is that what the PCA is? I couldn't figure out their deal beyond "I guess they set up killsats or something?"

They're not corporations and Walter said even those guys hosed it and went too far so I assumed they were government guys, or someone acting on a government's authority, coming in to settle things down

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Chillgamesh posted:

i honestly felt a little bad during the end of chapter 4 when the vesper pilots are screaming and pleading for backup against the unstoppable juggernaut that is 621, and Snail just leaves them on read. I mean, i still pile bunkered their torsos clean off, but I felt slightly dirty for it!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Warmachine posted:

yeah they’re the space cops who want everyone to just leave the coral the gently caress alone

Chillgamesh posted:

No, Pater is a little weasel but Snail is unambiguously the one who set Maeterlinck up so he could ambush and capture you.

Pater genuinely has a mood swinging thing going on, he’ll be sobbing about his dead comrade and then in the very next line of dialog be smug about his new number.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Chillgamesh posted:

I had a weird thing about this I killed the two vespers, but pater still showed up in the escape mission

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Kick's really good for Balteus. You should be assault boosting into him all the time anyway so it's just free stagger and damage.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

I had a weird thing about this I killed the two vespers, but pater still showed up in the escape mission

It’s weird, but I guess he was just able to eject in time and the other guy wasn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nubian Sasquatch
May 3, 2007

back dat ass up
Nap Ghost
Managed to polish off the basic playthrough, thanks in large part to a long weekend.

1. As an AC4/4A enjoyer, ACV disliker, Soulslike hater: this game rules and I love it. Some minor complaints, sure, but this hole was made for me.
2. RUSTY :allears:
3. gently caress Snail and his bullshit knockoff Balteus hoop. 8 or so tries down and finally managed to harpoon his rear end with a Fast Tank build. Dude easily had my number worse than any other boss in the game (so far).
4. Favourite design decision: From Soft not booting you back to the title screen for you to choose NG+, and instead just immediately throwing you into NG+ without asking because, what, like you weren't gonna do it??

Someone deep into the NG+/NG++ playthroughs:
Are there any late-game weapon unlocks of the "one huge weapon that requires both back slots to mount" type?

There was a gigantic 2-slot folding cannon (OIGAMI, for the connoisseurs) in a previous AC game that I absolutely loved using. It had like 10 ammo and was mostly a comedy option, but the thing ripped