Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/03/sunday-preview-ursula-creed-confronts-the-ghosts-of-cadia/

Speaking of Space Marines, the new series of SM Heroes goes up for pre-order next weeked.

That's about it when it comes to new models since we're between codex releases. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I found a neat cheap solution for datasheets, i can print the cards in a 6 card grid, increase the size by 10% and i have perfectly readable datasheets that fit perfectly in Tarot card sized sleeves! Now i can simply print and swap them out when they change!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The weird competing thoughts of "space marines players could stand to shut up about not getting new units" vs "there are still some really big unfilled niches compared to firstborn infantry"

There's so few left now, though. You can almost reproduce the entire structure and general vibe of a Firstborn army now using just Primaris units.

So what's left? Vanguard vets, assault terminators, grav guns as a heavy weapon option somehow. A do-over on the missile launcher unit (not happening). Centurions. Maybe give Incercessors an upgrade sprue that gives them access to special and heavy weapons and let us make primaris tactical squads; put the intercessor sergeant melee weapon options on there while they're at it. And then beyond that, like... lieutenant and chaplain options in gravis armor, maybe? Anything else? I want to say phobos chaplain but visually, at least that niche is kinda filled by Reivers; likewise there's a phobos apothecary but he's just called a helix adept. What am I missing?

What I really want is a box the size of the Citadel Skulls box that's just a few small frames of alternate Space Marine helmets and heads. Put more of the Primaris beakie helmets from the Primaris Raven Guard upgrades sprue in there; put in some Intercessor helms that have had their Mark IV inspired face grills replaced with scowly D grills. Add more varieties of those helmets from that one limited edition marine where he's wearing the standard Intercessor face grill but he's taken the top of the helmet off. Push it a bit further, add an a plastic Intercessor variant of these 30k Blood Angel helmets that Thunderwulfen uses for his Soul Haunters. Maybe figure out Primaris variants of more classic Legion-specific 30k heads. Put in one sprue of just alternate unhelmeted heads and make two thirds of them women.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/03/sunday-preview-ursula-creed-confronts-the-ghosts-of-cadia/

Speaking of Space Marines, the new series of SM Heroes goes up for pre-order next weeked.

That's about it when it comes to new models since we're between codex releases. v:v:v

Anyone read anything by Jude Reid? I'd love another Cadian book in the vein of Cadian Blood that isn't a pile of garbage or just a book describing warfare with no interesting character work.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is always Robert Rath's attempt at writing about the fall of Cadia. Which I'm sure is far more interesting than Justin D. Hills attempt at it.
But I don't think it's available in regular hardback yet.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Isn't part of the issue wrt to Nottingham and GW infrastructure is that there isn't enough power for new factory buildings to draw on? They could build more but Nottingham would have blackouts?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Isn't part of the issue wrt to Nottingham and GW infrastructure is that there isn't enough power for new factory buildings to draw on? They could build more but Nottingham would have blackouts?

Yup. And Nottingham says GW would have to pay for any infrastructure improvements.

That was about when GW started investing in solar panels, but those only provide a fraction of the power needed for the manufacturing expansion they want.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

I found a neat cheap solution for datasheets, i can print the cards in a 6 card grid, increase the size by 10% and i have perfectly readable datasheets that fit perfectly in Tarot card sized sleeves! Now i can simply print and swap them out when they change!

or you can print them the size of playing cards and put the sheets in holders that are in a binder

https://spikeybits.com/2023/06/better-sizes-10th-edition-index-datacards-formatted-for-printing-warhammer-40k.html?expand_article=1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1h0mUPx5pJv170wy8rT-Ienc_sm_bXSLB

this isn't :filez: because it's already free stuff that's just formatted differently

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I built a command squad for my IG combat patrol from a bunch of old and new bits and I have to say that I really like the various head options that are included in the new command squad sprue.

This badass lady is my favourite kitbash in a while.

I just noticed I've forgotten to add highlights to her hair. Maybe I should try some agressively coloured hair while I'm at it? Purple tips?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ashcans posted:

As of the 2022 annual report they have 43 injection moulding machines; I have no idea what the scale or anything is so maybe that's not as impressive as it sounds.

I am pretty sure that GW does all the design and creates the moulds in house. They definitely do CNC milling in Nottingham, and I think that is how the metal molds for plastic injection are made? I don't know what else they'd be doing with that. I think one issue they have for their production is that a lot of their paper products (boxes, cards, books) were being printed in China for cost purposes and those logistics hosed a lot of stuff up for them. They have been making an effort to centralize and in-house as much as possible; they recently in-housed their paint production with a 1000sqft facility, maybe they will get around to the paper products too.

With Brexit there is probably a limited time before GW is the majority of British manufacturing.

When you say they in-housed their paint production with a 1000sqft facility are you talking about their entire citadel paints line? I wouldn't think the machinery alone would fit into that space. The company I'm with now is tiny and has many times that much space. We are a ~$1m a year in sales manufacturer and have about 5k sqft.

I'd guess maybe it was 10,000?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The other big drag for GW is that they operate over 400 retail stores including like 3 in New Zealand that they have to make sure they provide stock of models and paint for. Yeah it serves as advertising and brand outreach but do the kiwis really need that many stores? I dunno but they're still shipping Leviathan boxes around the world to Australia and then onto New Zealand anyways. Then the LGS get the leftovers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Can't believe there's more GW stores in New Zealand than there's in Sweden. :v:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Virtual Russian posted:

When you say they in-housed their paint production with a 1000sqft facility are you talking about their entire citadel paints line? I wouldn't think the machinery alone would fit into that space. The company I'm with now is tiny and has many times that much space. We are a ~$1m a year in sales manufacturer and have about 5k sqft.

I'd guess maybe it was 10,000?

They don't produce the paint in-house. GW make the paint pots themselves using injection molds, then fill them using paint bought in bulk containers from an external supplier.

This video explains the setup
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-63A7cDkOm8

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Just imagining a bunch of tanker trucks rolling into drop of a couple of gallons of contrast paint into a giant vat.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

The other big drag for GW is that they operate over 400 retail stores including like 3 in New Zealand that they have to make sure they provide stock of models and paint for. Yeah it serves as advertising and brand outreach but do the kiwis really need that many stores? I dunno but they're still shipping Leviathan boxes around the world to Australia and then onto New Zealand anyways. Then the LGS get the leftovers.

There was an Internet Historian video where he explained there's a town he wants to live in in New Zealand purely on the basis it was this small town and he walked down the town centre and found a warhammer shop and a comic book/nerd/wargaming shop just down the block.

It's clear to me that basically the only three types of people who live in New Zealand are rugby players, the Maori, and nerds. There may be some overlap between some or all of those groups.

Also as someone who works for a retailer I can tell you the no. 1 concern for whether or not your store should be there is "how much is the rent and taxes?". Maybe MZ has really low retail rent/taxes. Here in the UK both are pretty high hence GW closing stores (like most retailers).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The oft forgotten Oceania country, Mew Zealand

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Sheep love Warhammer and have lots of discretionary income

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

xtothez posted:

They don't produce the paint in-house. GW make the paint pots themselves using injection molds, then fill them using paint bought in bulk containers from an external supplier.

This video explains the setup
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-63A7cDkOm8

Ok that makes more sense to me, thanks. That is a pretty efficient use of space.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Eej posted:

Hey come on now, warhams are already like twice as expensive here as anywhere else, and it's not like we can just take a short train ride to a different country.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Cooked Auto posted:

Can't believe there's more GW stores in New Zealand than there's in Sweden. :v:

Heck, there’s two in Nebraska

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
There's actually 4 warhammer stores in NZ, two of them are within 15km of my house. :v:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

or you can print them the size of playing cards and put the sheets in holders that are in a binder

https://spikeybits.com/2023/06/better-sizes-10th-edition-index-datacards-formatted-for-printing-warhammer-40k.html?expand_article=1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1h0mUPx5pJv170wy8rT-Ienc_sm_bXSLB

this isn't :filez: because it's already free stuff that's just formatted differently

This is what i downloaded, however the MTG size is just a tad bit too small for the special ability text, so i increased the card size by 10% and it fit perfectly in a tarot sleeve and is perfectly readable, thanks!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

The oft forgotten Oceania country, Mew Zealand

I can tell you how to get there because my uncle works at Nintendo but it's a pretty long and complicated process.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
WarCom front page has a note up saying the balance update & points will be available this Thursday.

You probably don't need to observe the strands of fate to know what's coming, but we can still speculate on the most surprising changes. Will they increase points on Screamer-Killers for no reason, or will Death Guard get an unexpected nerf? Place your bets now!

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Are there any 40k-related podcasts worth listening to?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

xtothez posted:

WarCom front page has a note up saying the balance update & points will be available this Thursday.

You probably don't need to observe the strands of fate to know what's coming, but we can still speculate on the most surprising changes. Will they increase points on Screamer-Killers for no reason, or will Death Guard get an unexpected nerf? Place your bets now!

Praise the dark lord of Tera!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Athas posted:

Badcast and the IC's would be good starters.
https://40kbadcast.com/
http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/

Then you could check what goonhammer has under their media network;
https://media.goonhammer.com/#network

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Athas posted:

I like Adeptus Ridiculous, which is lore focused.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Stephenls posted:

There's so few left now, though. You can almost reproduce the entire structure and general vibe of a Firstborn army now using just Primaris units.

So what's left? Vanguard vets, assault terminators, grav guns as a heavy weapon option somehow. A do-over on the missile launcher unit (not happening). Centurions. Maybe give Incercessors an upgrade sprue that gives them access to special and heavy weapons and let us make primaris tactical squads; put the intercessor sergeant melee weapon options on there while they're at it. And then beyond that, like... lieutenant and chaplain options in gravis armor, maybe? Anything else? I want to say phobos chaplain but visually, at least that niche is kinda filled by Reivers; likewise there's a phobos apothecary but he's just called a helix adept. What am I missing?

Pretty much just a proper Devastator squad equivalent imo.

The other big one for me was proper jump pack assault marines but that was just taken care of.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

rantmo posted:

I like Adeptus Ridiculous, which is lore focused.

I tentatively recommend this cause Bricky does a decent job summing up the lore,

but only if you can stomach memes, like a lot of memes.

Also I'm not a massive fan of DK's loud over-reacting/being uncomfortably thirsty at times.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Devorum posted:

Finishing up the Ork Combat Patrol and wondering what's the best Deff Dread loadout these days? 1 Skorcha + 3 Klaws? Bear in mind I don't actually care what the Combat Patrol loadout says it has.

Haven’t taken a hard look at it but couldn’t it just be magnetized so you can take them all?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I tentatively recommend this cause Bricky does a decent job summing up the lore,

Also I'm not a massive fan of DK's loud over-reacting/being uncomfortably thirsty at times.
The memes are half the appeal of Adeptus Ridiculous

He's just a little guy

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, that's a fair read but it works for me because it doesn't feel like DK is doing a bit, it really feels like two friends being authentic (I don't know if that's true or not but it's how they read to me) and I have a much higher tolerance for things like that when they don't feel forced. It's the same thing with Tabletop Tactics for me, they can be loud and just a Lot but in a way that my friends can I can be.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Also I've been listening to Poorhammer, which (somewhat predictably) is focused on practical Warhammer on a budget

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The painting phase is cool but mostly about the hobby and stuff rather than like 40k in particular.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Finished My Barbgaunts squad! learned alot about thinning my paints and contrast paints with this one, the first one I made was the one on the very left, then I did some learning then came back and applied what I learned on the rest, would love comments and critiques!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

rantmo posted:

Yeah, that's a fair read but it works for me because it doesn't feel like DK is doing a bit, it really feels like two friends being authentic (I don't know if that's true or not but it's how they read to me) and I have a much higher tolerance for things like that when they don't feel forced. It's the same thing with Tabletop Tactics for me, they can be loud and just a Lot but in a way that my friends can I can be.

I get that, they definitely come across as buds. I still enjoy AD occasionally, I'm a bit burnt out on this formula though:

Bricky: Explains some 40k lore
DK: JEEZUS! I mean woah! I mean, what is even up with that?
Bricky: Wel-
DK: I mean what is up with that!? How could that have happened!? I mean that's crazy, and I'm like. How. Could. That. Happen!? Like seriously? How... How!?

Froghammer posted:

Also I've been listening to Poorhammer, which (somewhat predictably) is focused on practical Warhammer on a budget

Seconding for Poorhammer, they've been fun background noise whilst painting.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Pretty much just a proper Devastator squad equivalent imo.

The other big one for me was proper jump pack assault marines but that was just taken care of.

I think the Devastator equivalent is meant to be the combination of Hellblasters, Eradicators, Eliminators (las-fusil edition), Desolation Squads, and maybe Infernus Squads -- that's why I said "grav guns as a heavy weapon option somehow." I miss the idea of devastator squads but if the correct way to build a devastator squad is always going to be "A bunch of guys with the same weapon, god drat it why do I have to buy multiple boxes of devastators to build this squad right," then splitting devastators up into five or six kits, each of which is all outfitted with a single weapon option... understandable? EDIT: And then splitting them up between the different armor types to represent what sort of strengths and weaknesses each sort of heavy weapon ought to have (e.g. Desolators are a backfield objective holder that can toss damage down the field and do indirect fire, so maybe don't give them heavy armor) is just the next logical decision along that path.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 5, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I get that, they definitely come across as buds. I still enjoy AD occasionally, I'm a bit burnt out on this formula though:

Bricky: Explains some 40k lore
DK: JEEZUS! I mean woah! I mean, what is even up with that?
Bricky: Wel-
DK: I mean what is up with that!? How could that have happened!? I mean that's crazy, and I'm like. How. Could. That. Happen!? Like seriously? How... How!?

Seconding for Poorhammer, they've been fun background noise whilst painting.

I ended up stopping listening to AR because, yeah, it felt like "a bit too much"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

xtothez posted:

I hope they drop Eightbound and Exalted Eightbound from 55 and 60 fuckin' points per model. Jesus.