Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

CommissarMega posted:

Righto, got it! Thanks for the help!

If you want the nitty gritty details to maximize the length of time before triggering the plot... (spoilers below)

There are two typically related events - the Biff rescue mission and the refugee camp mission.

Biff's mission triggers based on the following:
- 920 hours after you capture your first mine
- Immediately once you control 4 mines
- Immediately when you have a squad in B9/A8 (aka get near Biff's location).

The Refugee Camp betrayal quest is normally intended to trigger as a follow on; the list of triggers here is as follows:
- 24-48hrs after you control 4 mines (or 12 city sectors, or 70 sectors overall)
- Immediately after resolving Biff's rescue mission (one way or another)
- Immediately when you control the specific sectors C14 - D16 (the western entrance to the Eagle's Nest)

As an additional note, the timer for Biff's mission can be paused indefinitely if you intercept the squad sent to attack him. So if you want to delay the massacre as long as possible, you have to avoid any of the hard triggers - so no taking 4 mines or stepping in any of the listed sectors while also limiting the total number of city/overall sectors you claim and intercepting Biff's attack squad from a safe distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Where does the attack squad spawn and where does it go?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Where does the attack squad spawn and where does it go?

The destination, IIRC, is Biff's location. Not sure about the spawn location, but C9 is the only entrance to that part of the map so if you sit there and wait until an attack squad pathing to A8 shows up you should be set.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yep they start in the northeast about and take a fairly lengthy path toward Biff, so as long as it doesn't catch you in some bad situation they're not too hard to head off.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I finally finished the game yesterday, the ending felt a little underwhelming, probably because I didint do these things in the ideal order?

For me the Biff mission triggered fairly early. I only had the mine in Fleatown, and I dont think 920 hours had passed, but Im not sure. But it triggered anyway, maybe I moved a squad to those locations, but I dont remember

I did intercepted the attack squad, but I didint knew it paused the Biff mission so I went there right after. I saved Biff, he took off with the loving diamond, and right after that the Refugee Camp betrayal quest triggered

I took my time before going to the refugee camp to get betrayed (after going there the first time and reloading cause I was getting my rear end kicked), took the Red Mine, Port Cacao and solved the Red Rabies quest

They I went to the refugee camp much stronger and easily survived the ambush.

After that is where I think I should have done things in a different order: I defended against the huge army counterattack but lost Port Cacao (which was bad, I didint had finished the museum quest , which was lost and a bunch of people there was mad at me even after I retook the city).

Than I went to Ernie island, took everything there, beat Santiago (I let her leave the country) etc. And after that, went to the army fort and took it and killed the colonel

After that, I took the last cities and mines and outposts there were still left, and than finally I went to the Major outpost.

Thats what I should have done before Ernie, I guess. Cause the Major revealed a bunch of stuff that were already revealed and talked about the colonel as he was still alive and of Corazon as she was still in the country. I even hired him, which was cool, but useless cause the game ended right after I went to the satelite view

So I guess I should have rescue the president before going to Ernie and to the army fort? Its a bit counter intuitive, imo, cause the major base is literally at the most distant location in the whole map. Next time I guess Ill try going there before even the refugee camp ambush so I get to use Spike a little

In any case, I really liked the game. It still needs a lot of rebalancing and probably JA 2 is still the highest point of the series, but it is a Jagged Alliance game worth of the name, the first since 2.

Also for me the best "squad-level" turn based shooting game of all the new generation (I mean, since the modern XCOM remake), the first one that really clicked for me

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

In any case, I really liked the game. It still needs a lot of rebalancing and probably JA 2 is still the highest point of the series, but it is a Jagged Alliance game worth of the name, the first since 2.

Also for me the best "squad-level" turn based shooting game of all the new generation (I mean, since the modern XCOM remake), the first one that really clicked for me

Same thoughts here, I'm so happy that JA3 feels like a return to form for the series after all the JA: Subtitle dreck inbetween.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The “best” order is to rescue the president, then take the army base, and clean up Corazon last. that will give you some of (but not all) the evidence to clear AIM in court.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

RoyalScion posted:

The “best” order is to rescue the president, then take the army base, and clean up Corazon last. that will give you some of (but not all) the evidence to clear AIM in court.

If you want to recruit Spike, it's easier if you do the other main strongholds first, but of course you don't get to use him, then.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
He has some fun dialogue if you bring him to Ernie island to beat up corazon

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Having not played JA1, I didn't really there was a merc named Spike, so I was very confused by the choice to include him of all people as the big bad in this game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, it's also a reference to JA2 featuring Mike, the top merc in AIM in JA1, as a mini boss that got hired by Deidrianna, much like Spike being bought out by North Korea.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I'm actually surprised how much of JA1 is in JA3. Maybe that's why it's actually good - it's not like JA1 was a better game than JA2 by any stretch but I feel like the failure of so many of the other JA spinoffs is that they all seem to be based around the idea that JA2 was the only game in the series.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I'm actually surprised how much of JA1 is in JA3. Maybe that's why it's actually good - it's not like JA1 was a better game than JA2 by any stretch but I feel like the failure of so many of the other JA spinoffs is that they all seem to be based around the idea that JA2 was the only game in the series.

He was one of my favorites in 1

And yeah, is one of the things they did right in 3. JA 2 is amazing but 1 was also a great game and quite ground breaking at its time

It was my first game in this genre and was my favorite game before 2 came

The creators of 3 obviously played and loved both games, not only 2. One of the reasons they managed to make a true JA game, not a spin-off/remake of JA 2, like all the other attempts

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 31, 2023

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I had no idea this was coming to consoles

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1697239190939832831?s=20

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

I had no idea this was coming to consoles

I put the video announcement in the past page :)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

My one main complaint is that I miss my man Static.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 1, 2023

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

My one main complaint is that I miss my man Static.

Un-treated Larry is sort of a similar burnout vibe, but hopefully someone mods in the old favorites. Can't even do a Gumpy run on this!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Is there a reliable source of C4 in the game? I'm trying to make explosives for my 40mm grenade launchers, but I ran out of C4. Doesn't seem to be craftable from whatever I have in my inventory, and I'm not sure if there's a vendor somewhere.

Maybe I just wait for a weapon shipment to hijack? Hope to get lucky there?

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
Is this or Xcom2 better? I have both but haven’t had the time to really dedicate to one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pooperscooper posted:

Is this or Xcom2 better? I have both but haven’t had the time to really dedicate to one.

They don't have much in common so uh, it depends on what you're looking for?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pooperscooper posted:

I prefer JA3 over the nuXcoms, if only for having action points vs the move and shoot action economy of the latter.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

piratepilates posted:

Is there a reliable source of C4 in the game? I'm trying to make explosives for my 40mm grenade launchers, but I ran out of C4. Doesn't seem to be craftable from whatever I have in my inventory, and I'm not sure if there's a vendor somewhere.

Maybe I just wait for a weapon shipment to hijack? Hope to get lucky there?

If you solve the junk heap quest for the queen you'll get the option to have mercs search the junkyard and c4 is one of the potential results. I believe some enemies army troop types will also drop it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Panzeh posted:

If you solve the junk heap quest for the queen you'll get the option to have mercs search the junkyard and c4 is one of the potential results. I believe some enemies army troop types will also drop it.

Good news: I did the dump quest and even better, they all died and I failed horribly :)

Pooperscooper posted:

Purely combat-wise: this is way better, XCOM2 has some annoying parts to its combat system that JA3 improves on dramatically. Past that, do you want to play rebel humans fighting against alien invasion? Or 80s action movie taking place in Africa in 2001?

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

They don't have much in common so uh, it depends on what you're looking for?

I don't know, just something tactical and kind of hard so when I finish it I feel like I accomplished something. What are the big differences between Xcom 2 and JA3?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

George RR Fartin posted:

Can't even do a Gumpy run on this!

I really want an expansion/mod with a startup merc agency occupying MERC's niche of incredibly situational and/or cannon fodder mercs without social graces - I know some of the MERC characters serve that role already, but I find the idea of a rung below the AIM recruits too fun

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Pooperscooper posted:

I don't know, just something tactical and kind of hard so when I finish it I feel like I accomplished something. What are the big differences between Xcom 2 and JA3?

XCOM 2 is much more streamlined. Simpler action system in combat, binary hits/misses with ranged weapons instead of JA3’s bullet physics, no tracking of ammo and less of individual weapons, fewer stats on soldiers. Flashier abilities, deadly enemies, combat is more rocket taggy.

Both are great games. Do you enjoy fiddly management of inventories? Or want a more board-game-like experience?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
JA3 is also more character focus in the sense all your units are unique people with their own personalities compared to xcom's generic units that you can rename or whatever, which can also be a factor in which you prefer.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pooperscooper posted:

JA3 actually has no real limits on things the way xcom, especially nu-com does. For example, nucom games strictly limit you to a maximum of 6 people but if you can coordinate the squads in JA3 you can send in as many people as you want on a mission.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I didn't like the meta game pressure of xcom2 events and I feel like the JA3 campaign is a lot more strategic overall while XCOM2 was more reactive.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Xcom 2
JA3
Gears Tactics
Warhammer Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters
Phoenix Point

Rank them!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I didn't like the meta game pressure of xcom2 events and I feel like the JA3 campaign is a lot more strategic overall while XCOM2 was more reactive.

Honestly the thing about the JA3 campaign is i felt it put very little pressure on me at all even on the maximum difficulty, i was fine with that (and in reality xcom2 doesn't put all that much pressure on you if you're keeping on top of things).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Turin Turambar posted:

Xcom 2
JA3
Gears Tactics
Warhammer Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters
Phoenix Point

Rank them!

1. Troubleshooter Abandoned Children
2. JA3
3. Xcom 2

Haven't played the other games and don't plan on to B)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
More games needs to steal how Gears Tactics did overwatching.
Like how JA3 stole it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JA3 is cool and all but XCOM2 remains the genre defining yardstick we compare everything to.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah XCOM 2 ramps up your squads capabilities way more than this does. I swear it feels like you start out too competent already in this game, and the journey to elite-tier feels less impactful than where your XCOM squaddies end up.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah XCOM 2 ramps up your squads capabilities way more than this does. I swear it feels like you start out too competent already in this game, and the journey to elite-tier feels less impactful than where your XCOM squaddies end up.

I guess that is true, but I also think is mostly balance problems that will be fixed eventually

And while I do think XCOM 2 is a good, I never managed to even finish it. Something about the combat gets really tedious and tiring for me with repetition and when Im around halfway I find that I just cant go on anymore . At least thats what it happened both times I tried it. I guess at least part of it is that not only your guys have no personality, but also their builds and equipment dont allow much variety, so even late game they are all the same 6 or sop types

Also the strategic layer is so boring, even worst than it was o XCOM 1, which was already a simplified and less interesting version of the one in the old games

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Elias_Maluco posted:

I guess that is true, but I also think is mostly balance problems that will be fixed eventually

And while I do think XCOM 2 is a good, I never managed to even finish it. Something about the combat gets really tedious and tiring for me with repetition and when Im around halfway I find that I just cant go on anymore . At least thats what it happened both times I tried it. I guess at least part of it is that not only your guys have no personality, but also their builds and equipment dont allow much variety, so even late game they are all the same 6 or sop types

Also the strategic layer is so boring, even worst than it was o XCOM 1, which was already a simplified and less interesting version of the one in the old games

LWOTC did a pretty good job overhauling the strategic layer though if you already found xcom 2 tedious that probably wouldn’t be a good choice

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FrancisFukyomama posted:

LWOTC did a pretty good job overhauling the strategic layer though if you already found xcom 2 tedious that probably wouldn’t be a good choice

Well, one of the reason I found it tedious is becouse of that

LWOTC is a mod?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, one of the reason I found it tedious is becouse of that

LWOTC is a mod?

Yeah, it’s a port to the expansion of long war 2, which was developed with the help of foraxia
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/ADVENT%27s_Agenda_(LW2)it adds a dynamic metagame the ai where the aliens have their own resource system they expend for research, establishing bases, moving armies,etc, so xcom can actually go on the offensive instead of reacting to pre scripted mission spawns. Sorta ja2 esque actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Yeah, it’s a port to the expansion of long war 2, which was developed with the help of foraxia
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/ADVENT%27s_Agenda_(LW2) it adds a dynamic metagame the ai where the aliens have their own resource system they expend for research, establishing bases, moving armies,etc, so xcom can actually go on the offensive instead of reacting to pre scripted mission spawns. Sorta ja2 esque actually

Thats sounds pretty cool, Ill try it