Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Put the mechanical equivalent of a fuse ahead of the bridge.

It’ll just collapse a little bit, stopping the bus but not requiring all that much work to move it and repair the structure.

Replace the approach with a hinged steel platform. If you are overweight the bridge side of the platform drops 2' and exposes a concrete wall. Use hydraulics to drop the wall so as to control the pace and allow it to automatically reset once the weight is clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

drat, that's a good idea.
Doesn't even have to be hydraulic - a calibrated spring system should be enough. It'll move back into its horizontal position by spring power once the vehicle has reversed off of it.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

from a while back but last time i heard about ecuadorian tug operators they were ramming a historic brazilian navy sailboat into a bridge then flipping over their own tug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRTSZaETFRA

those boys ain't right is what i'm saying

anyway, came to post this marvelous modern architecture

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7274403102143401221

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

LimaBiker posted:

drat, that's a good idea.
Doesn't even have to be hydraulic - a calibrated spring system should be enough. It'll move back into its horizontal position by spring power once the vehicle has reversed off of it.

Springs work too, With hydraulic I could tune it within a few pounds and keep it under control if someone hits it hard and breaks off part of their vehicle. A big gate valve that opens at a specified PSI and a trickle to refill once the gate has reclosed.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

looks a hell of a lot more fun than suburbs

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Jesus Christ. It's a gender reveal and it captures the entirety of the essence of the trend. There has to be a bottom somewhere, but the hole just keeps going deeper and deeper.

Though it's not explicitly shown in the video, be aware that the pilot did die.

:nws:https://v.redd.it/h9fqyx2yt1mb1/DASH_480.mp4?source=fallback:nws:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
a still for the curious, showing what happened

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BrianRx posted:

Jesus Christ. It's a gender reveal and it captures the entirety of the essence of the trend. There has to be a bottom somewhere, but the hole just keeps going deeper and deeper.

Though it's not explicitly shown in the video, be aware that the pilot did die.

:nws:https://v.redd.it/h9fqyx2yt1mb1/DASH_480.mp4?source=fallback:nws:

Got a link to a news article or anything? I'm curious about an abrupt structural failure like that.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I was trying to figure out if somehow the confetti cannon got them.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
“It’s not art unless someone dies”

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Hygiene posted:

Got a link to a news article or anything? I'm curious about an abrupt structural failure like that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12475681/amp/gender-reveal-plane-crash-mexico.html

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Hygiene posted:

Probably overstressed due to a rapid pitch up - according to the link, that's a Piper PA-25 Pawnee, which isn't a plane designed for any kind of aerobatics. The real answers will come if/when it was determined how well it was maintained, and whether the pitch up was intentional or unintentional (meaning there was a failure of some flavor in the elevator).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Antigravitas posted:

I will defer to our resident expert on mercury ingestion, but afaik mercury bioavailability is actually not all that high.

Hate to be an incredible downer but fizzymercury made an EN thread in late 2022 about being diagnosed with an aggressive cancer and hasn't posted since. I've still got it bookmarked because I was really hoping for the best. :smith:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

way to be an incredible downer

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:tipshat:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Probably overstressed due to a rapid pitch up - according to the link, that's a Piper PA-25 Pawnee, which isn't a plane designed for any kind of aerobatics. The real answers will come if/when it was determined how well it was maintained, and whether the pitch up was intentional or unintentional (meaning there was a failure of some flavor in the elevator).

I couldn't tell how extreme the pitch back was before the failure, it goes so fast. But I'm curious about the plane now - it looked like a cropduster to me, and I see those do more extreme maneuvers all the time at the end of a pass. Google says PA-25s are commonly used for that though, maybe just not at the crazier end of the scale?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Hygiene posted:

I couldn't tell how extreme the pitch back was before the failure, it goes so fast. But I'm curious about the plane now - it looked like a cropduster to me, and I see those do more extreme maneuvers all the time at the end of a pass. Google says PA-25s are commonly used for that though, maybe just not at the crazier end of the scale?

It is a common cropduster, and I can't tell how extreme the pitch up was before the failure either - poor video quality and it was quick. The other potential issue (and this is just poor video quality again) is that most photos of those planes I'm finding show upper struts connecting the wings to the fuselage. I can't tell if those exist on this particular plane at the time of the crash, that could also have been an issue.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/ZYxQPgT.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The Piper PA-28 series has a wing spar corrosion/fatigue issue that has killed a number of people by the wings folding up just like that, and after a student pilot and instructor were killed a few years ago, there now an AD (airworthiness directive) that requires them to undergo a special inspection for early signs of failure on a regular basis.

This was a PA-25, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Piper used the same grade of metal, heat treatment, anti-corrosion primer, and so on in the construction of this aircraft. Combine that potential for failure with what I expect would be very heavy use as an agricultural aircraft, potentially poor maintenance, and the sharp high-G pullup at the end...

Just theorizing, I am not an expert, etc.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Needs a soundtrack imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_j9ihMOfo

Sagebrush posted:

The Piper PA-28 series has a wing spar corrosion/fatigue issue that has killed a number of people by the wings folding up just like that, and after a student pilot and instructor were killed a few years ago, there now an AD (airworthiness directive) that requires them to undergo a special inspection for early signs of failure on a regular basis.

This was a PA-25, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Piper used the same grade of metal, heat treatment, anti-corrosion primer, and so on in the construction of this aircraft. Combine that potential for failure with what I expect would be very heavy use as an agricultural aircraft, potentially poor maintenance, and the sharp high-G pullup at the end...

Just theorizing, I am not an expert, etc.

It was also last produced over 40 years ago so it's not very surprising that they would be showing fatigue by now.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nenonen posted:

It was also last produced over 40 years ago so it's not very surprising that they would be showing fatigue by now.

I have some news about general aviation

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

This makes me think of the safety videos from the Found Footage Festival films. Those were all entertaining.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I was gonna mention that too. I know there are lots of old aircraft in service, I've worked with one that old and seen the level of inspections required (especially for more rigorous uses than passenger flights). You always wonder if they're skimping on those or even just missed something that ultimately caused a failure.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Sirotan posted:

Hate to be an incredible downer but fizzymercury made an EN thread in late 2022 about being diagnosed with an aggressive cancer and hasn't posted since. I've still got it bookmarked because I was really hoping for the best. :smith:

That fuckin sucks, I sincerely hope it's treatable. Life is loving bullshit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
:finland:

Time stamped at the money shot for your convenience, but you should watch it all if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVDwDIhgkQY&t=164s

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

put goofy cartoon sound effects in this and set it to clown music*

*specifically this
https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/SON_SCD_0074/SON_SCD_0074_01601

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nenonen posted:

:finland:

Time stamped at the money shot for your convenience, but you should watch it all if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVDwDIhgkQY&t=164s

I was actually hoping for something resplendent but that works.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was gonna mention that too. I know there are lots of old aircraft in service, I've worked with one that old and seen the level of inspections required (especially for more rigorous uses than passenger flights). You always wonder if they're skimping on those or even just missed something that ultimately caused a failure.

A problem on the Pipers is that the corrosion and fatigue occurs in an area that isn't easily accessible, so it never gets inspected. The AD requires inspection with a borescope or installing a new inspection hole.

I wonder if the planes covered by the AD even got corrosion protection. I know most Cessnas got no corrosion protection unless it was special ordered that way (usually with a float kit).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Flipperwaldt posted:

Farm them for what? Eggs? Feathers? Meat?

E: guard animals?

I couldn't find anything about what this dude specifically was doing but apparently cassowaries are how you one-up your neighbour's peacock in Florida.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://v.redd.it/vtthaofmt2mb1/DASH_720.mp4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

just imagining this encounter from the fish's perspective

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Just imagine this encounter from God's perspective.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You gotta be a little different to be fishing like that in the first place, but my loving god there is something absolutely wild in the brain chemistry of a person will get into a knife fight with a pair of sharks over a goddamn tuna.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/0WJUPI6.mp4

OSHA for centuries of repetitive motion injuries

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

teach a man to fish and he'll knife fight fish for other fish.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sharks may be smooth as hell, but they'll never be cool enough to hold their own in a knife fight

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sharks may be smooth as hell, but they'll never be cool enough to hold their own in a knife fight

I thought they were rough on the outside actually.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Captain Hygiene posted:

But they basically have a mouth full of knives. That guy only had one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

emSparkly posted:

I thought they were rough on the outside actually.

nah, common misconception. they're extremely smooth, like glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

bagual posted:

anyway, came to post this marvelous modern architecture

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7274403102143401221

one of the surest signs of civilization is a pair of sneakers hanging from power lines