Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah but here me out. Rambo getting on a anti aircraft gun and moving down like 200 men and blowing them to pieces is loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I love the 2008 Rambo film. I remember seeing it at the theater and just being stunned at the violence. 2 and 3 are almost cartoonish compared to that one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, I love the 2008 Rambo film. I remember seeing it at the theater and just being stunned at the violence. 2 and 3 are almost cartoonish compared to that one.

Well duh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Shudder kept recommending I watch Elizabeth Harvest so I finally did.

The pure exposition drop at the end is insane, it might be the most tell don't show I've ever seen

Edit - That wasn't even the end, it was the middle. This movie was bad, messy. I'm fairly certain the only reason this movie got made is someone wanted to put Abbey Lee in a bunch of lingerie, dresses and nude and just threw a plot together around it.

I mean, she's gorgeous so it's okay, but not enough

Medullah fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 4, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

New Nightmare is my favorite elm street but yes Freddy’s make up is horrific

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

WeaponX posted:

Man, First Blood rules.

that final monologue still kills me even today. just a powerful performance that really turns the entire movie on its head.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Shrecknet posted:

As Above, So Below is on Prime, which I have currently. How bad is the bobbing and shakycam and running in near darkness? I can't do too much of it, need my FF closer to Grave Encounters than Blair Witch Project

Goddamn I love AA,SB. Maybe I'll watch it tonight.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So Rambo is the greatest slasher villain?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No it’s John wick

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Man, the lack of shirtless kills is the only flaw with Rambo 2008, huh?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Surprised how close the bodycount is between 3 and 4. Shows how much the latter benefits from advances in Goop Technology.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Always thought it was weird that Rambo was never shirtless in IV. It's his main thing, dude. I thought maybe Sly was self conscious about getting older and lumpier or something but then he was shirtless in a movie right after that and was crazy jacked.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

So Rambo is the greatest slasher villain?

there's a not-indefensible take that the slasher is always coming, unstoppable, dealing justice as he sees fit with endless brutality in the face of overwhelming odds... and if you just tweak his motivations, he's a power fantasy from every action movie ever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shrecknet posted:

there's a not-indefensible take that the slasher is always coming, unstoppable, dealing justice as he sees fit with endless brutality in the face of overwhelming odds... and if you just tweak his motivations, he's a power fantasy from every action movie ever.

Many 80s ones in particular are both ruthless enforcers of reactionary political thought so you don't even have to change much.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Where does Dracula being Judas come from? It wasn’t in the original novel, was it?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gripweed posted:

Where does Dracula being Judas come from? It wasn’t in the original novel, was it?

Dracula 2000. I don't think I've seen it anywhere else

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gripweed posted:

Its Dracula 2000 and its actually a pretty interesting take on Dracula because it lays out why he's vulnerable to holy water etc.. silver and can die from being hanged.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Opopanax posted:

Dracula 2000. I don't think I've seen it anywhere else

I’m watching Dracula 2000 for the first time now and I’ve definitely seen it in other stuff.

Hollismason posted:

Its Dracula 2000 and its actually a pretty interesting take on Dracula because it lays out why he's vulnerable to holy water etc.. silver and can die from being hanged.

drat, it's wild that Dracula 2000 actually added to Dracula lore

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, neither was Dracula being Vlad Tepes either. I think that one is all Francis Ford Coppola (the word "Dracula" was from texts about Vlad III but there's no evidence Stoker was particularly aware of that and he wasn't thought to be a vampire historically). I think the Judas thing is all Craven.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm finally watching Exorcist 3 for the first time and it's great and no one told me Fabio played an angel in this movie!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Of course I'm now watching Dracula 2000. Its so loving 2000 horror movie it hurts. Nu Metal Soundtrack , terrible fashions.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Of course I'm now watching Dracula 2000

It's got Omar Epps as a cool evil vampire and Jeri Ryan as a sexy evil vampire, and still manages to not be very good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, neither was Dracula being Vlad Tepes either. I think that one is all Francis Ford Coppola (the word "Dracula" was from texts about Vlad III but there's no evidence Stoker was particularly aware of that and he wasn't thought to be a vampire historically). I think the Judas thing is all Craven.

He was aware of him but he just took the name and nothing else.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I think Stoker was aware there was a guy called Dracula and was maybe associated with Wallachia but I think that was kinda the extent of the knowledge he had about Vlad. The name "Dracula" doesn't even show up in the book until some really late drafts I think.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bram stroker?

I barely know er

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
stoker is an underrated park chan wook movie

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Draculachat means I get to pimp my favorite reason for the Public Domain to be massively expanded, Dracula:Unredacted, which is a straight reprint of the 1898 novel, but also... well...

quote:

Dracula is not a novel. It’s the censored version of Bram Stoker’s after-action report of the failed British Intelligence attempt to recruit and control the perfect asset — the ultimate weapon — Count Dracula. Kenneth Hite and Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan have restored the deleted characters and redacted information, inserting annotations and clues left by three generations of MI6 analysts. This is Dracula Unredacted.

This new edition of Dracula adds new letters and recordings, diary entries long thought lost, and documents suppressed by Her Majesty’s Government … until now. From the first tentative contact between British intelligence and the un-dead, to the werewolf of Walpurgisnacht, to the cataclysmic disappearance of Dracula in volcanic fire, read the story you’ve known for years … for the first time.

look at this genius poo poo:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I dunno Dracula 2000 has some pretty interesting ideas but its bogged down by being just a awful loving movie. I'm still going to watch it though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Draculachat means I get to pimp my favorite reason for the Public Domain to be massively expanded, Dracula:Unredacted, which is a straight reprint of the 1898 novel, but also... well...

look at this genius poo poo:

Sherlock Holmes beat them to it in the 70s :colbert:

Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula posted:

“BEFORE I begin my narrative, I feel that it is my duty to set the reader straight upon a number of erroneous statements made recently regarding the events therein described. I refer in particular to a spurious monograph which has enjoyed a certain amount of popularity since it first appeared some four months ago, authored by an Irishman by the name of Bram Stoker, and entitled Dracula.

To begin with, the book, which purports to be a collection of letters and journals written by some of the principal figures involved, completely ignores the part which Sherlock Holmes (and, to a lesser extent, myself) played in bringing that affair to its successful conclusion among the snow-capped peaks of Transylvania. Although Holmes does not agree, it is my belief that Professor Van Helsing induced Stoker to deliberately falsify the facts where our line of investigation transected his, in order to build up his own reputation as a supernatural detective, and to invent entire episodes to explain the discrepancies. That I do not make these charges lightly will be borne out by what follows...”

-John H. Watson, M.D.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

There is some shakiness but overall it's very clear and easy to follow.
bro what is your baseline? I'm six minutes in and about to vomit, we've got a self-facing cell video on bumpy bus to open the movie, as well as multiple cave-ins/times that are just "rocks falling around darkness and you can't see poo poo but like, one red light"

Hate this poo poo, turning it off.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LMAO at the main lead lady Dracula is after in Dracula 2000 works at a Virgin Megastore.

Van Helsing shooting up with Dracula's blood taken from leeches that feed on him is pretty inspired as well.

edit:

Hrmm honestly I'm rewatching this and its not as bad and actually has some good parts.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 4, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

bro what is your baseline? I'm six minutes in and about to vomit, we've got a self-facing cell video on bumpy bus to open the movie, as well as multiple cave-ins/times that are just "rocks falling around darkness and you can't see poo poo but like, one red light"

Found footage isn’t for you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think Dracula 2000 needs a re-examine. I was prepared for a trash fire but taken as a direct homage to Hammer Horror of the 60s and 70s it really meets those standards. You've got a insane back story. Excellent upcoming actors. Very bloody. A actual honest attempt to add something to the Dracula mythos.

Also its legit got some really great scenes.

Dracula killing the camera guy.

Dracula attack on the plane.

Backstory of how they captured Dracula.

Interesting scene where the police capture a vampire.

Gerald Butler being super young and super hot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shrecknet posted:

The first time I watched As Above, So Below I mentally categorized it as a dumb movie like ten minutes in when they translate an ancient Aramaic poem and it rhymes in English.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the best tomb Raider movie we’ll ever get

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

I think Dracula 2000 needs a re-examine. I was prepared for a trash fire but taken as a direct homage to Hammer Horror of the 60s and 70s it really meets those standards. You've got a insane back story. Excellent upcoming actors. Very bloody. A actual honest attempt to add something to the Dracula mythos.

I was just thinking that Dracula 1972 blows it out of the water. Give any Hammer director those actresses playing evil sexy vampires, they would have done so much better with that material.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I tried to watch So Above, So Below somewhat recently and also turned it off (I guess I DO have a threshold, huh...). I didn't realize it was going to be found footage, though, and I tried to give it a chance but I had to give up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shrecknet posted:

You should watch Savageland. The found “footage” is photographs, and the movie also rules.

Sorry I wasn’t around to warn you. AA, SB is shaky like a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I usually bounce off found footage pretty hard but I personally thought As Above So Below was excellent. Its kind of slow going but once it gets going its absolutely fantastic.

I say stick it out the last 30 is loving killer.

I definitely think its more of a slow burn though.