Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

2023 the new 1998?

Let's make it happen, folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

wash bucket posted:

I'm glad these sorts of "pretty good" games are still being made. Something between triple-A moon shots and indy games.

actually this is totally fair and a good point

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

for people who have been waiting for a new AC game the fact that FROM didn't compromise the DNA of their formula hardly at all and delivered something this polished with such huge budget and scope and promise for more pushes it beyond "pretty good", it makes it a radically risky and unusual title released into an environment of overwhelming conformity in the industry, it totally does its own thing without giving a single gently caress and will probably end up being one of the most successful mecha titles ever released

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

2023 the new 1998?

Let's make it happen, folks

:hmmyes:

VG 1998 Eternal

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The chapter 3 boss position is constantly tracked on your compass and it always shows exactly where it’s going to appear. Once it does it’s easy to track. Fast tank treads make it easy to evade. There isn’t really any RNG to it.

It’s still more visual spectacle than an actual fight, which is not something I’m a fan of. Didn’t really like the King of Storms and its many iterations in the Souls series either. So yeah, it’s the worst boss in the game for me too. A lot of people say it’s their favorite though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah the position is tracked but there’s no way of knowing which way it’s gonna face when it pops up, so you aren’t necessarily going to be in position to get a hit in for the gimmick.

It doesn’t help that there’s a windup time on top of the travel time for the shot on top of that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah the position is tracked but there’s no way of knowing which way it’s gonna face when it pops up, so you aren’t necessarily going to be in position to get a hit in for the gimmick.

Exactly. Plus how close or far away it is.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah that also doesn’t help, so many times it would pop up either miles away or virtually inches in front of my robot, neither of which allow for a clean shot.

I mean I still killed it in less than 10 attempts so it’s not a game destroying brick wall, but it wasn’t very interesting and didn’t really need me to do any particularly thoughtful building to overcome my battle with the lack of info on the UI.

I got to the Enforcer and stopped again for the day, need to bring more rockets with me I think.

Very minor nitpick but I wish you could access the shop from the restart at checkpoint menu. I kind of get making you commit to quitting the mission so you go buy your parts and then re-do it to get back to where you were, but then they let you change your assembly up on that same screen so it’s not like they’re enforcing a “you made your build now you have to lie in it” rule, you can use your regular build then deliberately let whatever you’re getting stopped by stomp you, change your parts and try the new setup.

It’s adding the extra do-over of the lead up to the checkpoint for no mechanical reason, ultimately.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 4, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’ve done the chapter 3 boss 3 times now (on NG++) and if you just track it generally it will pop up every few dives in a position facing you specifically, just need to be patient.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

History Comes Inside! posted:

Very minor nitpick but I wish you could access the shop from the restart at checkpoint menu. I kind of get making you commit to quitting the mission so you go buy your parts and then re-do it to get back to where you were, but then they let you change your assembly up on that same screen so it’s not like they’re enforcing a “you made your build now you have to lie in it” rule, you can use your regular build then deliberately let whatever you’re getting stopped by stomp you, change your parts and try the new setup.

It’s adding the extra do-over of the lead up to the checkpoint for no mechanical reason, ultimately.
I think they could have presented the shopping system a bit differently, but having to go back to base to shop makes the most sense to me. Since you sell items for the same price you buy them for, your total lifetime money earned is really the same thing as an indirect "inventory capacity" stat, and the item price is just the amount of your inventory space it takes up. Buying an item from the shop is like pulling it out of your base storage/stash, selling it is putting it back in there. The items you pull out are the ones you have available on your mission. Missions earn you additional inventory space, so you can have more stuff available on future missions. If you could access your stash (the shop) mid-mission, it would make the entire concept of having an inventory redundant - you might as well just allow equipping stuff directly from the shop and rename that to "inventory". I like the concept of picking a loadout in prep for a mission, and that includes picking the alternate items I have available to me in my inventory.

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 4, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah the mission always wraps in five minutes or so. There are only two animations where he pauses to get hit. If you see that and it’s facing you, shoot. If not, just enjoy the NPC banter and scoot around.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Has anyone here had to replace an R2 spring on a ps5 controller? Is it easy to do?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Has anyone here had to replace an R2 spring on a ps5 controller? Is it easy to do?

I had one go out on my launch controller. If they're gonna fail they will usually fail early, so if you have a box and a receipt just take it back for replacement. Otherwise, it's not the most complicated thing in the world, just need the right spring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwtWieh2DNs

R2 shouldn't be too hard, L2 trigger is a bit more fiddly, more like basic console dismantling but no soldering required.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 4, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vO2SOqO7cs

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

All those Dark Souls video essayists are having a bit of a rough adjustment, huh?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AC6 is a weird game to sum up. I get a lot of what peoples complaints are with it and why it's divisive. But it's also just cool to have this new game that feels like such an un-compromised throwback. It feels like a better version of the AC games I played years ago, not a reimagining of the series for modern audiences. Fromsoft is just a weird dev that seems to not care at all about industry trends and that alone makes it stand out. It's not like I think every mission is brilliant or everything is balanced. Sometimes the controls are honestly hard to manage. The presentation is great but it does not feel AAA. But I guess all of that feels like it's part of the charm. It's just such a departure from what you'd expect from a AAA game that I'll either tolerate or enjoy the weirder, jankier elements of it.

Even with Souls games it's not like every mechanic is refined. There's always all sorts of weird ideas and mechanics, I don't know if I'd call it jank but it's not polished in the same way we've come to expect from AAA games. But some of those weird ideas made them famous, so why fix what isn't broke?

Not everything about AC6 lands for me, but it's just a cool, unique game to have around. If you just enjoy it for what it is there is a lot to like.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

wash bucket posted:

All those Dark Souls video essayists are having a bit of a rough adjustment, huh?

Zullie isn’t an essayist. She’s a hacker who digs into code to see how game mechanics work. And occasionally she does scale comparisons or shows older designs she finds in the data just for fun.

If you like nuts and bolts explanations of mechanics, she’s a good follow. Her videos are generally under 2 minutes and straight to the point.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 4, 2023

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Im really trying to enjoy BG3 but after like 5 hours I dunno, its like for every cool thing in the game there are two tedious or annoying things. Course Im sticking with it but itsnot making a great first impression.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

AcidCat posted:

Im really trying to enjoy BG3 but after like 5 hours I dunno, its like for every cool thing in the game there are two tedious or annoying things. Course Im sticking with it but itsnot making a great first impression.

That's fair. Mind if I ask what's rubbing you the wrong way? Because I had to learn a few lessons the hard way when I started playing.

Bugblatter posted:

Zullie isn’t an essayist. She’s a hacker who digs into code to see how game mechanics work. And occasionally she does scale comparisons or shows older designs she finds in the data just for fun.

If you like nuts and bolts explanations of mechanics, she’s a good follow. Her videos are generally under 2 minutes and straight to the point.

Sorry, guess I assumed it was one of those videos where someone with a deep British voice whispers about lore they read in item descriptions trying to bridge the gap into a mech game.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 4, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as someone with little experience in crpg's the constant failed dice rolls leading to grueling combat encounters riddled with more failed dice rolls are driving me insane. just getting kicked in the dick every ten steps

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
:xcom:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can spec to stack the deck in your favor with your builds. I switched my main to a Bard early on for Bardic inspiration, which gives you a bonus D8 you can stack on your dice rolls with. makes a lot of rolls almost guaranteed. Bard is also a pretty drat powerful class. Other factors add free numbers as well. Tbh I don't think I have gotten a result I wasn't going for the entire time. It's pretty forgiving in letting you reroll, add inspiration etc. I don't think I've been locked out of anything due to rolls.

As far as combat goes you can do the same with abilities. the basic % chance to hit seems pretty forgiving compared to say, Xcom. Yeah you miss some but I feel like a 65% is actually a 65% chance to hit. You are never going to land every attack since that's how these games work. But you can change the odds for yourself a lot through strategy and character builds.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 4, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Like, I dunno if you played Xcom but it's pretty similar. You can just trot into a room with enemies ready to go at you. You are at the bottom of the stairs, you have a disadvantage. Your % to hit might be crap. But sneak in the back way unnoticed and you might turn your chances from 20% with a disadvantage to 70% and you can even blast off a free attack before they see you. Think about your positioning and strategy before walking into a potential hostile situation. If you screw up, you can always just save scum.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Seriously.

But I get it. Whiffing attacks feels bad. As you level up you get more options to gain some control over that. Warriors can start to do multiple attacks, wizards and sorcerers can cast some spells multiple times, potions can help your rolls, etc.

Also, if you have a wizard in your party (like Gale) keep an eye out for the "Magic Missile" spell. It's not that powerful but it can target multiple enemies and it never misses.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

as someone with little experience in crpg's the constant failed dice rolls leading to grueling combat encounters riddled with more failed dice rolls are driving me insane. just getting kicked in the dick every ten steps

Yeah I hear that. I feel like Im constantly getting into situations where I dont quite know what to do. Quest objectives can be vague. I feel like I have to save all the time lest I turn a corner and stumble into some long ordeal I never asked for. Or is this some ordeal thats necessary? Hard to tell. Combat is not really 'fun' more like a thank god I survived that feeling. And the button to access the main menu is friggin R2. Weird poo poo to adapt to.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I played a bit of BG3 and it’s too horny for me.

I wouldn’t even want to be in the same room as the sickos who come up with that stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dang I love the combat so much. I love how involved it is and how the game rewards you for good tactics.

Different strokes I guess

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Also lets add these practically invisible dumbass vines on the ground whose only purpose is to annoy.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The world feels like a struggle to navigate and the map looks like vomit. I guess most of my complaints boil down to nothing feeling intuitive, just a lot more cognitive load than I necessarily want out of a vidjagame.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

AcidCat posted:

Yeah I hear that. I feel like Im constantly getting into situations where I dont quite know what to do. Quest objectives can be vague. I feel like I have to save all the time lest I turn a corner and stumble into some long ordeal I never asked for. Or is this some ordeal thats necessary? Hard to tell. Combat is not really 'fun' more like a thank god I survived that feeling. And the button to access the main menu is friggin R2. Weird poo poo to adapt to.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to stumble into surprises. But there aren't that many ticking clocks in the game so if you walk into something unexpected you can usually just circle back to it later even if it feels urgent from a story perspective. That said, most everything is worth doing at some point because there's no real way to grind experience in this game. So if you want to level up (and you really do) you've gotta adventure. The game is actually broken up into self contained "acts" and you get warned when you're about to advance to a new one so feel free to wander around and fill in your map and way points.

I actually had to force myself to slow down and practice the combat because figuring it out as I went was just getting me deeper into trouble. For example, I didn't understand why some of my spells and abilities seemed to have limited uses but others didn't. After some careful reading and experimentation I got a handle on which abilities use what and how they replenish.

But these are all fair complaints. I was kind of irritated with the game for the first few hours too but I got over that hump and I've been enjoying it more and more.

AcidCat posted:

Also lets add these practically invisible dumbass vines on the ground whose only purpose is to annoy.

Paying attention to what you're standing in is kind of important in this game. Lots of stuff on the ground can slow you down, be set on fire, cause people to slip and fall, etc. But the same is true for your enemies too.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 4, 2023

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Good advice, definitely still in the learning stage and Im an impatient pupil, but I'm in for the long haul.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

sponges posted:

I played a bit of BG3 and it’s too horny for me.

I wouldn’t even want to be in the same room as the sickos who come up with that stuff.

Every bit of horny stuff I've seen in the game involved adults who were into whatever was going on. So as far as I'm concerned the game is in the clear.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have seen one sex scene in 70 hours and it was very tame. I’m sure if you try to screw every character you can, but the horniness is extremely over stated by people trying to make it a meme. I guess if you are doing horny stuff the whole time the game will seem that way but that is kind of on you if that’s the case lol.

Nothing I have seen even comes close to a CDPR game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oxxidation posted:

yeah it do be like that, especially at the beginning.

It'll get a lot better later on once you've leveled up more and you have more options and bonuses and gear, but at the start of the game it helps to make yourself pay attention to how often the enemies are missing, too. I think the game is supposedly balanced around a 50% or 60% chance to hit early on, which cuts both ways.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Just now, battle start, all of my characters miss. Try something else. Nope that dont work, "too many hit points". Its easy to get discouraged.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

if you guys think videogame d&d combat is bad, wait until you try it on pen and paper!!!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

EightFlyingCars posted:

if you guys think videogame d&d combat is bad, wait until you try it on pen and paper!!!

I think the reason video games were invented was so no one would ever have to subject themselves to that ever again

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Oxxidation posted:

Rolling with the punches genre it owns.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1698569870106149255?t=FrW9uVzorK2quOmGu1lJ4g&s=19

Wonder if he got the other ones...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the early game you can’t just lob arrows at range and expect to hit anything. Proximity and positioning are important, buffing your party with stuff like Bless and debuffing enemies with stuff like Vicious Mockery and Menacing Attack are also important. Basically anything that gives your dudes a higher dice roll while granting disadvantage to your enemies is critical, even if the actual benefit seems fuzzy. If you’re struggling with dice rolls on either side of the dialogue and combat then just roll with Shadowheart for the entire first act, as she can help you pass speech checks and lockpicking with Guidance. Or just find the amulet that grants it to anyone in your party.

Something that’s unique to Larian games is the sheer density of the maps. Literally every square inch is hiding some secret or offers a different approach to getting somewhere. If you’re stumbling into encounters and getting hosed, then I would suggest slowing your roll and being more observant of your surroundings. There is almost always a way to use the environment to your advantage. And save often in case your brilliant idea backfires hilariously.