Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I remember he was a preacher and she was a famous Christian singer, but I don’t think they’ve done the origin story in a ton of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shrimpy posted:

He says in the first(?) episode of the season that he may never work again.

Its kinda sorta said as a one off and then by the end of the season he is driving a monster truck through a militia compound. I can kinda see the parallels to Eli, but just because something is "explained" in the show doesn't make it justified or not lazy writing.

For the record I really enjoy the show. I can be critical of some things and still enjoy it overall

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 3, 2023

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

CelticPredator posted:

you need Jesus imO

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Gideon's like the only character in the whole show who might actually have the personality, integrity and common sense to be an Actual Preacher (Eli has the skills and the experience too but he's just sold himself out too many times)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kwolok posted:

Its kinda sorta said as a one off and then by the end of the season he is driving a monster truck through a militia compound. I can kinda see the parallels to Eli, but just because something is "explained" in the show doesn't make it justified or not lazy writing.

For the record I really enjoy the show. I can be critical of some things and still enjoy it overall

Yeah I pretty much agree with you, I want to see where it goes though. I mean are they going to just forget they got a swarm of locusts in their preaching studio? These pastors of God are apparently unaffected by it, NBD. I'm just kinda hoping it takes it further, like Judy dies and goes to hell and hell sends her back because she's so irritating and so she stays on as a zombie, bickering with her bros as usual. And for a prank they stick a bumper sticker on her back that says "honk if parts fall off."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I do kind of wish we could get to know like one normie member of the congregation who doesn’t work for the church or reside in the Gemstone inner circle, just to see what all of this looks like from the outside looking in, but at the same time I understand that that could kind of break the show. I guess Keef is kind of the closest we get to that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

I do kind of wish we could get to know like one normie member of the congregation who doesn’t work for the church or reside in the Gemstone inner circle, just to see what all of this looks like from the outside looking in, but at the same time I understand that that could kind of break the show. I guess Keef is kind of the closest we get to that.

:agreed:

I liked the scenes with the teen parents and Kelvin this season, it was pretty much the most dialogue we've gotten from rando parishioners (Jesse's failcrew and their wives don't count.)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

petit choux posted:

Yeah I pretty much agree with you, I want to see where it goes though. I mean are they going to just forget they got a swarm of locusts in their preaching studio? These pastors of God are apparently unaffected by it, NBD. I'm just kinda hoping it takes it further, like Judy dies and goes to hell and hell sends her back because she's so irritating and so she stays on as a zombie, bickering with her bros as usual. And for a prank they stick a bumper sticker on her back that says "honk if parts fall off."

The locusts were on their recording lot they use for commercials & Amber’smarriage councilor thing and other stuff, not where the actual live preaching show happens.

Probably near the area, but not directly part of the same building. I doubt it was effected.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The locusts were on their recording lot they use for commercials & Amber’smarriage councilor thing and other stuff, not where the actual live preaching show happens.

Probably near the area, but not directly part of the same building. I doubt it was effected.

Oh well that's different

ED: in fact when they discuss it next season they can bring this up and they can use the very same argument. No biblical plague in the main studio, only in the annex. As in "annext" issue, Jesse?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 3, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And Eli can say this is clearly a sign from god that we should stop being so profit-oriented and shut down the commercial project and the annex and the kids can talk him into sunsetting it slowly it while they move funds around.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

You have personal hangups. Perhaps realize that it is affecting how you view this fictional comedy tv show.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ChesterJT posted:

You have personal hangups. Perhaps realize that it is affecting how you view this fictional comedy tv show.

Maybe you should not have a melt down when people do really simple media analysis about something you like.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

To be fair you’re the one who Kramer’d in here with an “actually they don’t go in hard enough on these people” take right after we had had a multi-page discussion about that in both this and McBride’s other shows, so :ironicat:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

ChesterJT posted:

I think Danny McBride can stand on his own two feet without you rushing in here to stan for him.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

ChesterJT posted:

Chester is correct

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

Kwolok posted:

Maybe you should not have a melt down when people do really simple media analysis about something you like.

brother kwolok it is you who are melting down. namaste

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

mark immune posted:

Chester is correct

Chester is not very correct and you are a master of lies

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Lmao.

Why is the first step after a meltdown always to accuse others of a meltdown

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Freaquency posted:

To be fair you’re the one who Kramer’d in here with an “actually they don’t go in hard enough on these people” take right after we had had a multi-page discussion about that in both this and McBride’s other shows, so :ironicat:

I have not read this thread. I just finished season 3 and wanted to share some thoughts I had. Didn't realize that required me to read everything that came before. And I definitely didn't realize insanely basic media analysis (which doesn't mean what I'm saying is correct, it's merely my own thoughts) would be met with such contempt. Take it easy butthole shavings.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The discussion I’m talking about was occurring in part at the top of the page you posted on. This isn’t even a “read the whole thread” thing. If you want to just post your thoughts without any reaction, discussion, or criticism, maybe Post My Favorites is more your speed.

And for the record, I at least partially agreed with you (and you’d know why, if you’d read back a page or two!) but you’re being so acerbic over the mildest amount of pushback that it makes me want to retroactively change my position on it.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

Kwolok posted:

Take it easy butthole shavings.

lol

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nice meltdown!!1!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

But I melted down too!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'd like to see the Gemstones actually meet people like themselves but who are sincere and honest. And the Gemstones eat them for dinner and steal their lunch money.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The Righteous Meltdowns

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

SirPablo posted:

The Righteous Meltdowns

I'm having one right now!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Y'all need some night nights

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Benagain posted:

Y'all need some night nights

I SAID NO!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh, are we doing meltdowns?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, are we doing meltdowns?

Not if we all pull together as a team. Everybody bow your heads.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

I'd like to see the Gemstones actually meet people like themselves but who are sincere and honest. And the Gemstones eat them for dinner and steal their lunch money.

That was part of the S1 plot with Johnny Seasons. Or do you mean someone who does the whole megachurch thing?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

the holy poopacy posted:

That was part of the S1 plot with Johnny Seasons. Or do you mean someone who does the whole megachurch thing?

I was thinking about that but when I thought of the end of that story how Eli made it up to him I felt like it was so amicable. But I don't know how different congregations behave toward each other and so forth in frontier theology.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Gideon's story isn't hard to get around. And while the show isn't explicit about it there's plenty of parallels with Eli's journey as a younger man. It's just that for us his journey (becoming disillusioned with the family business, running away from home to cut his own path) takes place before the show starts. I took his wanting to learn becoming a Preacher as an earnest request.

McBride said during first season interviews that he imagined the show being like THE THORNBIRDS in that it could run forever and branch out to follow other characters. Maybe it's something we'll start to see next season given how this season felt like a finale for a lot of characters.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

SirPablo posted:

The Righteous Meltdowns

Attention pharmacy, I need some salves and poo poo for intense thread meltdowns.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
How do you do fellow butthole shavings?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Uncle Baby Billy is such a good, succinct joke of a name.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

ChesterJT posted:

How do you do fellow butthole shavings?

You got some gravy on your dipstick, you better xyz pdq, snail trailz.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Found out yesterday one of the moms in my son's scout troop worked with props on the last season of Gemstones. I made a joke, "I bet you had to handle a lot of dicks lol," and she then told me some dick stories.

She had to make dongs out of wax for the scene where they burned sex toys. Apparently burning silicone is like an OSHA thing (and prob not a good thing for the environment). She also said several dicks went missing from the set, including an $800 one.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Kwolok posted:

you gonna cry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

That DICK! posted:

you gonna cry?

no gently caress you I'm not gonna cry you great blumpkin