Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TheMcD posted:

Paris-Dakar Rally Special. I distinctly remember that.

There are two kids in the studio with him in the Lost Levels revenge episode, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Thanks for Paris-Dakar, that was it. I figured out the other one, it was the first NES Remix episode (which is what I thought it was, but I'd forgotten that there were two of them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Rochallor posted:

Random question regarding previous episodes, does anybody remember which episode it was where...

...they had to put in a password and despite going back to the footage and inputting the password, it didn't work?

TheMcD posted:

Paris-Dakar Rally Special. I distinctly remember that.

Wow, I was just thinking earlier today about asking about which episode that was. Weird. Eerie. (What was the issue there, anyway? Mistaking two similar characters?)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FredMSloniker posted:

Wow, I was just thinking earlier today about asking about which episode that was. Weird. Eerie. (What was the issue there, anyway? Mistaking two similar characters?)

Looking at it, I genuinely cannot tell what the issue is.

Continue fail.

First attempt to enter, fails.

Second attempt to enter, succeeds.

My only guess would be they restarted the console inbetween attempts and for some reason this game has passwords that only work on a cold boot or whatever. That doesn't make sense, but neither does the situation as presented in the show, so who knows.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thank you for the new release! The game looked insanely difficult, particularly towards the end. I'm pretty sure my hands would have been destroyed after just a couple hours if I were the one playing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've been working my way through the Metal Gear Solid DVD episode (not necessarily recommended, it mostly consists of Arino watching the cutscenes and going, "Huh") but I got to the bit where Ocelot puts Snake in the torture rack and you have to mash to stay conscious, and I think Arino might be the slowest button masher I've ever seen.

https://imgur.com/a/XuJmh2R

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Rochallor posted:

I've been working my way through the Metal Gear Solid DVD episode (not necessarily recommended, it mostly consists of Arino watching the cutscenes and going, "Huh") but I got to the bit where Ocelot puts Snake in the torture rack and you have to mash to stay conscious, and I think Arino might be the slowest button masher I've ever seen.

https://imgur.com/a/XuJmh2R

That was probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had from the show (MGS chllenge).
And I saw the movie in theatres.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 25, 2023

locationscouts
Aug 23, 2023
Hello all! Longtime lurkers, first-time posters. We are proud to bring you GCCX, following in the footsteps of those that came before us, such as GooseCanyon and of course the gold standard SA-GCCX.

To that end, we wondered if the people behind releases from smaller groups such as Clover or LC-GCCX might still be around. Perhaps even reading this thread? If any of you see this, please send us a PM as there's a few questions we have. You may be able to help us.

Now it's back to working on upcoming releases...

locationscouts fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 3, 2023

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Your work is very much appreciated! Thanks for all of the recent releases.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

I think it's great that other groups are picking up where others have left-off, for whatever reason. I don't check it often, but if you or any other teams want to email me at vrkakaricho@gmail.com, please feel free to do so.

locationscouts posted:

maybe even jD (VRis raws), might still be around.

VRis...what exactly?
It was a long time ago, but that person is why the VR team ceased to exist. Tread lightly, I'd hate to see people deprived of getting new subtitled episodes.

locationscouts
Aug 23, 2023

Kakaricho posted:

I think it's great that other groups are picking up where others have left-off, for whatever reason. I don't check it often, but if you or any other teams want to email me at vrkakaricho@gmail.com, please feel free to do so.
Thanks for the offer, we will send an email.

Kakaricho posted:

It was a long time ago, but that person is why the VR team ceased to exist.
No bad blood intended, I wasn't aware of the situation there. We're just looking for HD sources for some of the earlier episodes. I've edited my earlier post and you can feel free to do the same to remove the mention.

On that topic though, as it stands there are a number of Nyaa uploads that aren't seeded, from several years ago. And a handful seem to be HD broadcast transport streams or MKV/MP4 encodes of some episodes that we otherwise may have in only SD or resolution or low quality encodes. Particularly we are looking for the BS Sky PerfecTV TS files (~110s,130-150ish) and some CS Fuji One TS files (~110s,160s-180s).

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

locationscouts posted:

Thanks for the offer, we will send an email.

No bad blood intended, I wasn't aware of the situation there. We're just looking for HD sources for some of the earlier episodes. I've edited my earlier post and you can feel free to do the same to remove the mention.

On that topic though, as it stands there are a number of Nyaa uploads that aren't seeded, from several years ago. And a handful seem to be HD broadcast transport streams or MKV/MP4 encodes of some episodes that we otherwise may have in only SD or resolution or low quality encodes. Particularly we are looking for the BS Sky PerfecTV TS files (~110s,130-150ish) and some CS Fuji One TS files (~110s,160s-180s).

Do things as you like, it was just a heads-up. If I had the time, I'd still be translating, but turns out you need to feed and raise kids once you've had them, who knew?!

edit: Didn't get to see the GCX 20th Museum in Japan? Now the Shibuya location can be viewed online!
If you can pay through Lawson Ticket.

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/news/article/230728141/

Sometimes I think they don't like the overseas fans...

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 5, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced for the 20th anniversary: Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge 1+2 Replay! Both of the DS games ported to the Switch, with a new bonus game in the style of River City Ransom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbEI8Pzan0

The game will be playable at TGS later this month (21st-24th). No release date yet, but there will be a limited edition with a bundled DVD of some kind.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

Just announced for the 20th anniversary: Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge 1+2 Replay! Both of the DS games ported to the Switch, with a new bonus game in the style of River City Ransom.

The game will be playable at TGS later this month (21st-24th). No release date yet, but there will be a limited edition with a bundled DVD of some kind.

Can't wait to beat up Inoue in Abe City Ransom.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Please tell me they will translate it for US release, even digital only. Those games are super fun.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

They already did an excellent localization job on the first game on the DS, hopefully they'll see merit in doing it for the 2nd game and doing a release of it for the west.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I guess the question is how much work they'd have to put into it. They don't have a localized script for the second game, and that has that detective game, which would be the biggest effort of the lot.

If they do, I hope they throw out the "Retro Game Challenge" skin. I was very annoyed when I learned the Japanese original had ADs as the magazine editors and I lost out on that in favor of generic fictional reviewers and editors.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

Japanese ticket buying is so backwards hosed, I was lucky enough to have a Japanese friend to buy me the ticket to get to see the Museum in Sendai, otherwise I was lost with the ticket vending machine.

How hard it is to make a website where you just select the ticket and put in your credit card.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kakaricho posted:

edit: Didn't get to see the GCX 20th Museum in Japan? Now the Shibuya location can be viewed online!

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/news/article/230728141/

Sometimes I think they don't like the overseas fans...

lol.

Yeah, I forget if it was in this thread I touched on it but there's a certain not-necessarily-malicious insularity to these sorts of systems. Everything is developed pretty much explicitly for the Japanese market which often does things in kind of its own custom way that immediately fails if you attempt to bring it international in any meaningful capacity. The Lawson system is super-convenient if you live in Japan because you'll almost certainly be passing one in your day-to-day...not so much if you're not physically in Japan.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

univbee posted:

lol.

Yeah, I forget if it was in this thread I touched on it but there's a certain not-necessarily-malicious insularity to these sorts of systems. Everything is developed pretty much explicitly for the Japanese market which often does things in kind of its own custom way that immediately fails if you attempt to bring it international in any meaningful capacity. The Lawson system is super-convenient if you live in Japan because you'll almost certainly be passing one in your day-to-day...not so much if you're not physically in Japan.

See also: Every single gimmick Nintendo has done with Street- and Spotpass, and a dozen other things.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

makere posted:

How hard it is to make a website where you just select the ticket and put in your credit card.

It's mainly designed to link it to your phone number here to prevent scalping. Re-sale for profit is specifically forbidden in their ToS, of I can't go to the Saitama Event, I'll be lucky to just lose all my ticketing fees (about 800 yen.)

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

It's mainly designed to link it to your phone number here to prevent scalping. Re-sale for profit is specifically forbidden in their ToS, of I can't go to the Saitama Event, I'll be lucky to just lose all my ticketing fees (about 800 yen.)

I think you can pretty much input random phone number and it'll be fine. One could just tie tickets to name and require ID at gates (which is what they do at some concerts here).

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

makere posted:

I think you can pretty much input random phone number and it'll be fine. One could just tie tickets to name and require ID at gates (which is what they do at some concerts here).

e-Tickets are catching on more now, it seems. It's what I have for October.
A lot of this is because of idol concerts, apparently.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheMcD posted:

I was very annoyed when I learned the Japanese original had ADs as the magazine editors and I lost out on that in favor of generic fictional reviewers and editors.

They were at least jokes about more well known games journos at the time like Dan Sock or something.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah for what Retro Game Challenge was trying to do, i.e. translate that nostalgic experience for American kids who played games and read mags like EGM in the 90s, I think that was a really well done adaptation. Would be cool to have a retranslation directed at fans of GCCX though.

locationscouts
Aug 23, 2023
Game Center CX NC03 - Star Force [v2] [Skye]
Available here:
Nyaa link
magnet link
code:
Hello! This is a remake of SA-GCCX’s hardsub of this episode. It includes many fixes and updates.
Such as better video and audio quality, softsubs, completely overhauled typesetting, numerous translation corrections, etc.

v2 notes:
Fixed a typo, replaced a bad font, did some light typesetting editing, and reduced the file size by stripping CJK characters from one of the attached fonts.

Credits
Original Translation: RoninDRE [SA-GCCX]
Video Source: Nintendo Channel Web-DL
Project Leader: Skye
Additional Translation and TLC: ephemeral, TokidokiMemorial, Anonymous
Timing: SA-GCCX, Skye
Typesetting: Skye
QC: Skye, ephemeral, TokidokiMemorial, validusername16

If you have any issues with this release, make sure you’re using the most recent version of mpv.

Note: We have been given permission by Random Stranger of SA-GCCX to remake their old subs.
Skye worked on this overhaul of an older hardsub in an instance where we had a newer higher quality video source.

As we progress through the various untranslated episodes, there will be more occasions where we all of us are likely to have side projects retooling older challenges in the downtime as various releases are completed. These add to our combined output, they don't take away from the LocationScouts releases.

-ephemeral (per forum rules it's me on this account just fyi)

EDIT: Replaced with an updated v2 file that addresses some typesetting issues.

locationscouts fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 20, 2023

locationscouts
Aug 23, 2023
Game Center CX 24x15 #311 - At last… “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” [LocationScouts]

Available here:
Nyaa post
magnet link

code:
Game Center CX #311 - At last… “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” | Season 24 Episode 15 | Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon) | Super Famicom | Angel | 1993

Original airdate: January 14, 2021

Translation: Squeaky, SAGCCX [Orginal arcade trip translation from episode 68]
Proofreading: Tokidoki Memorial, Ephemeral, Skye, Specter
Typesetting: Skye, Specter, validusername16
Timing: Ephemeral, Specter
Video Encoding: Skye
Special thanks & Shoutouts: GooseCanyon, GCCX General Pastebin & Random Stranger

Our job here is done.
For the Ogawa fans.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Woohoo! Thanks for the release!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

locationscouts posted:

Game Center CX 24x15 #311 - At last… “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” [LocationScouts]

Available here:
Nyaa post
magnet link

code:
Game Center CX #311 - At last… “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” | Season 24 Episode 15 | Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon) | Super Famicom | Angel | 1993

Original airdate: January 14, 2021

Translation: Squeaky, SAGCCX [Orginal arcade trip translation from episode 68]
Proofreading: Tokidoki Memorial, Ephemeral, Skye, Specter
Typesetting: Skye, Specter, validusername16
Timing: Ephemeral, Specter
Video Encoding: Skye
Special thanks & Shoutouts: GooseCanyon, GCCX General Pastebin & Random Stranger

Our job here is done.
For the Ogawa fans.

Thanks for the new release! It's going to be a good weekend.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for sharing.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
FLOWERS FOR THE GCCX 20TH ANNIVERSARY

2013: Flowers we sent to the 10th anniversary in Budokan

2018: Flowers we sent to the 15th anniversary in Makuhari Messe (me showing them off)

Let's do it again! The show isn't until Oct 29 (Oct 28 in North America), but I want to get a good head start on this and put in my order mid-October. Going with the usual store.

Arrangements begin at 22,000 yen (~150 USD). Both times, we were able to pool together over $600 (USD) to send a premium arrangement. No pressure to go that high though. And again, I'm going to draw a custom banner showing flags from all the countries represented.

Want to pitch in? Send me a PM with your country and contribution amount, and I'll give you my PayPal link

ETA: Momentum on this has been much slower than previous years, so if you're thinking about contributing, please do! Any little bit will help. I'd like to reach at least 150 USD.

10/09 UPDATE: I am done crowdfunding and have ordered the flowers. Thanks for pitching in!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 10, 2023

skyegccx
Sep 5, 2023
I think it might be easier if you provide an alternate way to contact you outside of SA, such as Discord or Telegram. I've seen a few people express interest in giving money for the flower arrangement, but they don't want to drop extra money on registering for SA.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sent a PM, hopefully the contributions are still open and we reach a decent milestone.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Kins posted:

oh poo poo

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

skyegccx posted:

I think it might be easier if you provide an alternate way to contact you outside of SA, such as Discord or Telegram. I've seen a few people express interest in giving money for the flower arrangement, but they don't want to drop extra money on registering for SA.

yeah also those of us who don’t have PMs either..

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Maybe zari-gani can provide a Discord or Steam username and people without PM/forum account can contact from there.

Or, as an alternative and if no one minds, I can collect those messages and pass them along to zari-gani in one go.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Yeah good point; my limiting to forum PMs was mostly because I wanted to keep it low-scale and easier to keep track of contributions when this thread was more active. But since it's going a bit slow and the community has expanded a lot since then, here:

Pitching in for flowers
link removed
Send USD and put your country in the note, if not from the US or Canada (please pass on the message to those outside the forums!)

9/20 UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who's pitched in so far; we've hit the minimum amount of 150 USD! Anything beyond this will be used to get a bigger, nicer arrangement.

Countries represented as of 9/21: Canada, USA, Mexico, Portugal, Poland, UK, Australia, Finland, New Zealand

10/09 UPDATE: I am done crowdfunding and have ordered the flowers, so I won't be taking any more donations. Thanks for pitching in!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 10, 2023

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

Countries represented so far: Canada, USA, Mexico.

North America - cleared!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i am posting to remind myself that i am in for this when i get out of work and can more properly focus

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ugh, those Paypal fees to wire money to friends are just plain evil. Deed done, though. Let's make it big, let's make it awesome.

:portugal: one of these days I'll buy this drat emote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thank you for the two releases!

Money sent, just like the last two times. Finland, represent, gotta keep the streak going! Thank you, zari-gani, for dealing with the hassle plus your banner contibution.