Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but can I go to her during the quest or is that something I must do later.

You'll meet her during the quest, she's at one of the two markers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tankbuster posted:

I don't remember which of the planets she's on but you run into her during the quest and she becomes available as a companion once you finish that branch.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tankbuster posted:

What? You go there, do the quest and then you can add her to your crew.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Beat the game vanilla, probably going to start a new save up and just use the console to give myself a billion carry weight this time.
Overall the game felt super disappointing when I first started, but grew on me a lot as I played, ended up having a lot of fun with it.

Spoiler for those trying to collect all the space powers post-main-quest:
Don't let Barret die apparently parallel self is only available from their companion quest. I jumped into NG+ and tried going to the temples again, and it's just upgrading my already collected powers

Update: A separate instance of 'Power From Beyond' showed up in my quest list randomly that granted parallel self. For some reason it was broken and wouldn't allow me to set a course to it though, had to find the scanner anomaly myself

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 4, 2023

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Is there any point to outposts aside from making your own little home? At least in nms you could use them to harvest mats to craft items to sell but in this there doesn't seem to be any way to make any kind of profit?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you set up on resource nodes you can build extractors to generate raw resources, and fabricators to turn raw resources into processed materials. It's all relatively low profit by weight, but it's free money. :shrug:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
all they had to do was copy sim settlements

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

So far my biggest issue in the game seems to be the complexity involved with stealing space ships.

If I understand correctly here are the steps:

1. Fight until one ship is left.
2. Disable engines, board and kill everyone.
3. Set it as your home ship.
4. Don't loot anything from the other ships you killed because you've probably filled the cargo up with what was in your home ship after step 3.
5. Go to a port.
6. Register your new ship for tons of money.
7. Sell your new ship, ending up with a single gun sale worth of profit.

I tried skipping the part where I make it my home ship and just tried to leave after sitting in the pilot's seat. When I opened my list of ships in system it showed up, but when I left to go to a port to sell it wasn't there anymore...

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Here's a video with various GPUs. In the end is my antique 980ti. It does run somewhat, but I don't think living with (sub) 30fps is worth living. So better to wait until I get a new computer some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8qYuyXpD0&t=509s

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Further Reading posted:

So far my biggest issue in the game seems to be the complexity involved with stealing space ships.

4. Don't loot anything from the other ships you killed because you've probably filled the cargo up with what was in your home ship after step 3.
5. Go to a port.

I tried skipping the part where I make it my home ship and just tried to leave after sitting in the pilot's seat. When I opened my list of ships in system it showed up, but when I left to go to a port to sell it wasn't there anymore...

Stealing ships on the ground seems to be easier and more lucrative.

Some idiot touches down? Lockpick the door into their ship- sit in their cockpit, then pull up your map and fast travel somewhere without taking off. The ship defaults as your new home ship. Register it for less than 10K at the new location.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

BULBASAUR posted:

all they had to do was copy sim settlements

counterpoint, sim settlements sucks

OK that's not fair or helpful...

Do you mean sim settlements or sim settlements 2? I tried the later and it's bloated with a ton of totally ridiculous complexity that just doesn't need to be there.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

BULBASAUR posted:

I counted and I've crashed over 200 times today

excuse me the reviewers all said it was the least buggy bethesda game ever, clearly you are a lying troll who just wants to hurt God King Todd

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Gave this game a fair twelve hours and I'm out, every time I play I'm just left with the feeling of "why am I doing this exactly". The gunplay is pretty good for BGS though!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I've crashed once in 22 hours

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I said hello to a UC guard while digging up iron so a mining chief can scam his superiors and they arrested me because I had a 16 credit bounty for no reason I can possibly discern so now I'm a space narc I guess

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design
I clipped a Freestar ship in battle at which point Sarah freaked the gently caress out on me so now I live life on the run from Freestar, murdering them where ever I find them while Sarah threatens to jump ship and stares absolute daggers at me.

I'm a ruthless Ryujin corporate gun for hire though, so screw you Sarah, the companions are all dorks anyways.

Not many bugs for me except I landed on a planet with dinosaurs and I boarded a ship to pirate it, killed the crew, jumped off of it for a minute and it ghost flew away holding a dead dino by its head with the landing door. As it jumped into space I saw the dino corpse tumble to the ground.

I hated the space combat until I figured out how to fly well enough to stay behind my target, though the initial fly in for contact just roasts my shields.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got to ng+ in around 19 hours. I didn't find anything better than the mantis gear my entire playthrough. I furthest I got in the skill tree was 2 tier 2 skills. The lab you warp between 2 realities is the best mission Bethesda has created. I loved it. The game got very Giger and Kojima right at the end. I was expecting time travel and not some sort of Jet Li in The One situation.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Do you mean sim settlements or sim settlements 2? I tried the later and it's bloated with a ton of totally ridiculous complexity that just doesn't need to be there.

TBF I wonder at times how many features are purely papyrus scripting shenanigans in Starfield as-is :)

Has there been any semi-reliable speculation over when/if Creation Kit is going to be published and when? (I've totally not followed any of bethesda official channels of communications)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I had the most Bethesda rear end Bethesda modern gaming quest moment during the main story

On Neon

During the visit the rival CEO step, I failed the persuasion check to see him peacefully. Ok, no problem, I'll have to find another...

quest marker IMMEDIATELY snaps to the access key for the building :wtf:

(also good was later after murdering a bunch of security to get up to him, I walk in and he starts talking, ok fine, then one of the guards from the roof I didn't kill bursts in behind me interrupting the proceedings and kicking me out of chat mode - I murder him expecting to have to reload a save to fix it but... nope, CEO doesn't care, guards don't care, everyone just stands around until I jetpack up to him to resume the conversation)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

I said hello to a UC guard while digging up iron so a mining chief can scam his superiors and they arrested me because I had a 16 credit bounty for no reason I can possibly discern so now I'm a space narc I guess

they planted some poo poo on you, ASCAB

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

FeculentWizardTits posted:

A centuries-old generation ship appears and wants to settle on a planet owned by a resort corporation. CEO says no and the three options you get are to install a hyperdrive on the ship so they can gently caress off elsewhere, sell the passengers to the corporation (and into de facto slavery), or destroy the ship and murder thousands in the process. It's one of the few quests I've run into where it gives you a truly evil option, but in doing so highlights the totally baffling omission of a route where you murder the obviously scummy CEO and the board so the colonists can settle there.

I struggle from considering this a flaw in the writting. The game is star trek
written by a ferengi

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

A collection of 'essential' mods

-Fix for the too thick 'filmic' desaturated look
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/323

It irks me this isnt the default.

But thanks!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

Cool!

Oh wait, they require the Steam version...

I'm going to guess it works fine with the Gamepass version.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Walked posted:

It irks me this isnt the default.

But thanks!

This and FOV settings should not have to be "modded" in.

Are we not in the hands of a madman? color, brightness and FOV in the UI display settings, day one!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Lol, whelp. It does not, that sucks real bad.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kaddish posted:

The author of it said it will probably never work with the gamepass version due to something Microsoft does with the launcher

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Lol, whelp. It does not, that sucks real bad.

Yeah .exe modding seems to be a step too far for MS.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Well, looks like I'll be doing this playthrough on Gamepass and ponying up the cash for the Steam version in a few months.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gamepass is amazing value on console, but the MS store makes it a total non starter on PC for me, it's aggressively garbage, generally locked down, and bordering on malware in its handling of encrypted games (I had 50gb taken up for I dunno how long on my old PC because I literally could not figure out how to make it delete some old locked encrypted files)

Maybe it's gotten better since my last horrible experience with it, but I doubt it

(I'm also now reminded a friend and I tried to play a coop game on it and we could not get it to work no matter what we tried - bought on steam and were ingame in a few minutes)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

victrix posted:

Gamepass is amazing value on console, but the MS store makes it a total non starter on PC for me, it's aggressively garbage, generally locked down, and bordering on malware in its handling of encrypted games (I had 50gb taken up for I dunno how long on my old PC because I literally could not figure out how to make it delete some old locked encrypted files)

Maybe it's gotten better since my last horrible experience with it, but I doubt it

(I'm also now reminded a friend and I tried to play a coop game on it and we could not get it to work no matter what we tried - bought on steam and were ingame in a few minutes)

I also had Game Pass just taking up like 50gb because of a never finished Sea of Thieves install. I had to do registry fuckery to be able to remove it. Between that, the fact that multi games don't work with people on Steam or other platforms half the time, the lack of modability on most titles, etc swore me off it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
gently caress it, if I'm going to ever buy the Steam version I might as well do it now. No sense in wasting time on my current playthrough considering NG+. Essentially I just lit $30 on fire, don't tell my wife.

I wonder if the DLSS3 mod is less crashy on the Steam version.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 4, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hardware Unboxed did another vid on the game, focusing on the CPU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqFs1Auxo8Y older CPUs can have problems but they give some ways to get the most out of them.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I accidentally sold my mining laser, where can I get a new one?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Further Reading posted:

You'll see them laying around at mining outposts.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Further Reading posted:

they are called Cutter and should be in normal stores, like the general store at the NA spaceport

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Got hooked into the "infiltrate the Crimson Fleet" quest line immediately after Constellation was attacked and it's like god drat dude I've got more important things going on right now than going undercover

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

FFT posted:

Got hooked into the "infiltrate the Crimson Fleet" quest line immediately after Constellation was attacked and it's like god drat dude I've got more important things going on right now than going undercover

I also got that quest line after that and didn't remember how. Like, it just showed up in my quest log. I must have skipped past some dialogue or something.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kaddish posted:

gently caress it, if I'm going to ever buy the Steam version I might as well do it now. No sense in wasting time on my current playthrough considering NG+. Essentially I just lit $30 on fire, don't tell my wife.

You can refund the premium upgrade on game pass, I did yesterday and had like 10 hours played on it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Can you share saved game files between versions? Like see where your saved game files are for the Microsoft version and put them where they are stored for the steam version?

I don’t have the premium version but got the regular version for free from buying an Ryzen 7800x3d. Playing a copy off the seven seas but I plan to just reuse the saved game files once the game officially releases. This messes up the achievements in steam but I don’t care about that

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Further Reading posted:

5. Go to a port.

You can just take over the ship by sitting down in the pilot seat and it will automatically get set as your home ship once you warp away. So before doing that you can fly around and loot all the destroyed ships. Warp somewhere to land, at which point it becomes your home ship automatically, and cargo transfers over, exceeding capacity if it needs to. Then you can land, switch your home ship back, and register/sell the stolen one.

Still too much menuing.