Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lazyfire posted:

That's what I was referencing, we're beyond the point of parody with how resume filters work.

Just got off my weekly org meeting. One of the people on another team had her docking station fail and when she called the IT people for a new one she was told management had a policy of no replacements and no upgrades for failed hardware.

So what's the resolution for this? She surfs facebook all day on her phone because she doesn't have the equipment she needs to do her job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I can't do my job because my badge expired, and my deprtment head needs to approve badge renewals and it is a 2 week process.

I don't see why I have to scuttle around figuring it out, instead of their automated badge tracking system just checking when the badge is about to expire and firing off an automated email

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Tunicate posted:

I can't do my job because my badge expired, and my deprtment head needs to approve badge renewals and it is a 2 week process.

I don't see why I have to scuttle around figuring it out, instead of their automated badge tracking system just checking when the badge is about to expire and firing off an automated email

This has been a consistent issue with the place I'm leaving. Literally all our profit just goes to admin positions, but whenever you ask for something vital to keep our actual operation in practice (namely certifications for the inspections we do) they drag their feet. Then when the certs expire and we lose jobs because we don't have qualified personnel to cover it, management freaks out and goes "why didn't you make it more clear this would happen?" Never mind we told them it would happen in plain english a year ago, that's literally the entire reason all these admins and middle managers get a paycheck, it's their job to track this stuff and schedule it, what the gently caress are they getting paid for if they're not doing it?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's the resolution for this? She surfs facebook all day on her phone because she doesn't have the equipment she needs to do her job?

In my org? Go to someone else's desk and take their dock. Since we're only in two days a week employees seem to think anything not on their own desk is up for grabs. Annoying as hell to come in and have my chair switched / monitor cable missing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

PoundSand posted:

This has been a consistent issue with the place I'm leaving. Literally all our profit just goes to admin positions, but whenever you ask for something vital to keep our actual operation in practice (namely certifications for the inspections we do) they drag their feet. Then when the certs expire and we lose jobs because we don't have qualified personnel to cover it, management freaks out and goes "why didn't you make it more clear this would happen?" Never mind we told them it would happen in plain english a year ago, that's literally the entire reason all these admins and middle managers get a paycheck, it's their job to track this stuff and schedule it, what the gently caress are they getting paid for if they're not doing it?

The lesson I've learned repeatedly about stuff like this is the only thing that has a chance to get change made is putting it in terms of pure dollars. You've gotta throw the (sensationalized, if possible) math in a slideshow about how much money this is expected to cost the company in the long run, how much lower operational profits will be from lost production after losing certs (and from hiring replacements at ever-increasing starting salaries). That way they're forced to think about it in terms of exactly how much lower their bonuses will be on those years.

Pitching it this way allows them to see it as "do this to earn X extra dollars on my bonus in 2 years" or whatever. Not that it always works and maybe you're already doing that but I've had success with this method, and I've been shut down in any org any time I've tried to make change that wasn't directly relational to pure dollar values.

But yes, this is exactly what the job of management should be and it's always sad to have to do their job for them just to make your life easier.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Our dumb way around it was just to signup/pay yourself then reimburse it later. But this is literally their job, this is the black pool of overhead all our profits disappear to. What exactly are they doing with their time that this isn’t happening by default.

It’s whatever anyways because I’m leaving for far greener pastures but sometimes how places like that operate in America makes me question my sanity.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Randy Travesty posted:

With that last post said: I feel, pretty constantly, like I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing at work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

deep dish peat moss posted:

The lesson I've learned repeatedly about stuff like this is the only thing that has a chance to get change made is putting it in terms of pure dollars. You've gotta throw the (sensationalized, if possible) math in a slideshow about how much money this is expected to cost the company in the long run, how much lower operational profits will be from lost production after losing certs (and from hiring replacements at ever-increasing starting salaries). That way they're forced to think about it in terms of exactly how much lower their bonuses will be on those years.

Pitching it this way allows them to see it as "do this to earn X extra dollars on my bonus in 2 years" or whatever. Not that it always works and maybe you're already doing that but I've had success with this method, and I've been shut down in any org any time I've tried to make change that wasn't directly relational to pure dollar values.

But yes, this is exactly what the job of management should be and it's always sad to have to do their job for them just to make your life easier.

Next... Year?

But that's further than next quarter, who cares about that? I'm going to be long gone already!

This always causes me psychic damage

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, she was doing that already. She acknowledged that she just needed a $10 USB hub and would be able to hook everything up. Her terminally online brain just requires she get a new docking station. I'm concerned with the company attempting to save minimal dollars, but more worried that we keep hiring people who can fix their problems but decide to make bigger issues out of them for various reasons. In this case I fully think she's trying to find reasonable excuses for retiring.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Lazyfire posted:

Just got off my weekly org meeting. One of the people on another team had her docking station fail and when she called the IT people for a new one she was told management had a policy of no replacements and no upgrades for failed hardware. We're already on heavy travel restrictions and cutting down on inventory to save a couple million at a company that profited $40 million last year. This is making me wonder if we are either in the process of getting sold or if there's a corporate level cashflow problem we're trying to solve by being miserly with $200 Dell hardware. Boss' boss said that he believes that we're trying to get to a 20% profit per unit sold by 2025 and are "only" at 14.5% now. We're an Aerospace company, almost everything we sell for new production is done at a loss (outside of one platform because the customer blindly signed a contract), so 14.5% is pretty good already. 20% is insane. I was telling my wife about this and realized this is the kind of irrational frugality I saw when I worked for Alstom before they got bought by GE. I don't think we're getting spun off or sold, but this one of those "oh gently caress" things you see as a sign of trouble once you've experienced it before. Looking forward to seeing who gets laid off in the next six months.

Aerospace is a healthy industry so uhhh yeah I’d say your company is probably in a lot of trouble if $200 is going to break the bank. The aerospace company I work for is getting acquired but it’s business as usual so I dunno come work for us

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Tunicate posted:

That’s literally the way it works in federal government. If they can figure this out, anyone can

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

The company my dad works for had something similar going on with their inital building entrance badges. They are a daughter company, owned by another daughter company, inside the regional HQ of the umbrella company; three swipes, with three badges, just to get to their work area.

Calls their boss, "Hey, we can't enter the building."

"Well, do the other badges work?"

"...We can't enter the building."

"Oh. Look, use the other door. The scanner there is broken, it hasn't worked in two weeks."

No communication between anyone in the building, including the private security firm manning the doors. Just a friendly guard that sees people come in through a broken door and asks to see ID. By the time their badges got fixed the door was still broken, so everyone continued to use that one!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Verdugo posted:

In my org? Go to someone else's desk and take their dock. Since we're only in two days a week employees seem to think anything not on their own desk is up for grabs. Annoying as hell to come in and have my chair switched / monitor cable missing.

Dumb poo poo your coworkers do:

~Coxy posted:

Our office is badly setup for hoteling because only about half the desks have docks (this part is actually OK, because we don't have many people in the office) but there's absolutely no indication on OfficePass which desks have them or not (this is the part I have a problem with.)

So now we have the situation where someone who works rarely in the office books desk 101, comes in and finds it doesn't have a dock, looks around and sees there's a dock on 108 with nobody sitting there, but steals the dock and sets it up (badly) on 101 instead of adjusting his booking.

So now two desks are barely working, and when someone else books 108 the cycle continues.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Our warehouse is so full that they’re putting product on trailers and parking them out on the lot

We’re still working straight through the holiday weekend for funsies

So just to circle back to this, it turns our *new planning software* way over-ordered all the export SKUs. The data fed into the *new planning software* led it to conclude that in a given three day period we're gonna ship 50 truckloads of domestic but we also need a shipload worth of export stuff.

In fact we normally send out 15 to 20 truckloads of domestic daily and load a ship up every other month or so.

Are all the floor employees who put in all that overtime now working greatly reduced hours (1 or two shifts a week)? Oh yeah.

Are all the warehouse employees missing and presumed dead, buried under a mountain of export product? Yep.

Are the galaxy brains up at the mothership cracking open champaign over the successful deployment of *new planning software*? You know it!

Are we excited to announce the coming rollout of *new maintenance planning software* brought to you by the same team that created *new planning software*? Squeeeee!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's annual review time.
God I hate justifying my existence. Existing is all I do!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We just had the midyear reviews with our (9-months) interim manager. I pushed for a raise, he said I had a decent case and he'll talk to the big boss.

The next week the new permanent manager was announced and I haven't heard anything back.

:negative:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mobby_6kl posted:

We just had the midyear reviews with our (9-months) interim manager. I pushed for a raise, he said I had a decent case and he'll talk to the big boss.

The next week the new permanent manager was announced and I haven't heard anything back.

:negative:
"Hi (permanent manager), (interim manager) put me in for a raise to (amount) but it's not showing up. Can you chase HR, thanks."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

"Hi (permanent manager), (interim manager) put me in for a raise to (amount) but it's not showing up. Can you chase HR, thanks."
Yeah, I know, I'll follow up of course. It was just funny because the team's been pestering the big boss about the replacement for months and of course it had to finally happen immediately after the reviews.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, I know, I'll follow up of course. It was just funny because the team's been pestering the big boss about the replacement for months and of course it had to finally happen immediately after the reviews.

Weird, must be a coincidence

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

We got a new CEO who rearranged some teams for better synergy probably, and my team was gutted and I got a new Product Owner. I'm not proud of it but I'm kinda abusing his lack of experience here by pulling more work into the sprint whenever I need it, instead of sitting on my hands and waiting until the PO approves it. :getin:

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 4, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was promised a raise to stop me leaving a job for more money, then my manager quit and their replacement, after a few months of badgering, told me there was no raise coming and it never should have been agreed.

I raised hell, said from my perspective I was out a significant amount of money since I’d have been getting paid more at the other job for a while so by my count they owed me a couple of weeks worth of my time and walked out, telling them to get their poo poo in order otherwise I’d see them next month.

They called me 2 days later to agree the raise and backdate it.

there was never another job offer I just made some poo poo up to fish for a raise, then doubled down when they thought they could screw me :ssh:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not just the chasing, it's the phrasing. Don't ask them about your raise, tell them about your raise.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Good thing I'll never have to worry about getting a raise where I'm at! It's all on schedule and hardly anyone sticks around enough to top out after two years. Starting pay is $11.50/hr, topping out at $12.50/hr.

This is simultaneously the easiest and most frustrating job. It's making me realize how good I've had it over the previous 18 years or so, despite the aches, pains, and weird hours that come with teamster work. Working mostly by yourself, setting your own standards and goals (within reason), dictating your own pay, and working your own hours within a 12hr window are greatly preferable to what's happening here, even if your customers (and their customers) sometimes were at odds with what you wanted to achieve.

This company is an absolute joke. There is a definite lack of achievable goals, combined with lackluster training and any sort of useful direction from above store level that adds up to an endless plate-spinning act. Get ahead on stocking? Haha! You have to order more to get more hours allocated so you can... catch up on stocking again! Need help from outside to do that? Not if you have a salaried manager on-site! Get handed a hosed up store as a store manager? You got six months, max, before every previous problem falls directly on your head. Need hours and outside help to fix those problems? Haha! Order more and work the salaried manager to death; maybe you'll get cut some slack.

On the other hand, as a low level employee you can just do your job and try not to get too flustered with the state of things. It's really hard to get fired. Like, you'd have to get caught stealing or loving up cash handling in a big way for that to happen. Warm loving bodies is what we are.

gently caress, I worked last night so the manager didn't have to be alone for an entire 11hr shift, because one of our coworkers was out sick. That was 10 straight days, cutting into a blocked off 2 day break. It's only 5-6hrs a day, but still. poo poo wears on you.

Ah well. Got today off instead of yesterday by having our, now recovered, coworker cover the shift.

Still have to go in for a 15min meeting, lol. Said meeting is a meet and greet for new workers and laying out a plan while the salaried manager is out for the week. I expect we have a plan. I expect it not to work out. I expect the manager to walk right back into the ridiculous poo poo-show we got going on.

That sounds like whining. It is me whining a little bit. More than that, it's me realizing how hosed up low level work is in America. Everyone has stories like that, even far higher up the employment ladder. Why is everything so goddamned stupid?

Or maybe it's just the ramblings of someone who hasn't slept in a while. Probably. Maybe.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

madeintaipei posted:

Good thing I'll never have to worry about getting a raise where I'm at! It's all on schedule and hardly anyone sticks around enough to top out after two years. Starting pay is $11.50/hr, topping out at $12.50/hr.

This is simultaneously the easiest and most frustrating job. It's making me realize how good I've had it over the previous 18 years or so, despite the aches, pains, and weird hours that come with teamster work. Working mostly by yourself, setting your own standards and goals (within reason), dictating your own pay, and working your own hours within a 12hr window are greatly preferable to what's happening here, even if your customers (and their customers) sometimes were at odds with what you wanted to achieve.

This company is an absolute joke. There is a definite lack of achievable goals, combined with lackluster training and any sort of useful direction from above store level that adds up to an endless plate-spinning act. Get ahead on stocking? Haha! You have to order more to get more hours allocated so you can... catch up on stocking again! Need help from outside to do that? Not if you have a salaried manager on-site! Get handed a hosed up store as a store manager? You got six months, max, before every previous problem falls directly on your head. Need hours and outside help to fix those problems? Haha! Order more and work the salaried manager to death; maybe you'll get cut some slack.

On the other hand, as a low level employee you can just do your job and try not to get too flustered with the state of things. It's really hard to get fired. Like, you'd have to get caught stealing or loving up cash handling in a big way for that to happen. Warm loving bodies is what we are.

gently caress, I worked last night so the manager didn't have to be alone for an entire 11hr shift, because one of our coworkers was out sick. That was 10 straight days, cutting into a blocked off 2 day break. It's only 5-6hrs a day, but still. poo poo wears on you.

Ah well. Got today off instead of yesterday by having our, now recovered, coworker cover the shift.

Still have to go in for a 15min meeting, lol. Said meeting is a meet and greet for new workers and laying out a plan while the salaried manager is out for the week. I expect we have a plan. I expect it not to work out. I expect the manager to walk right back into the ridiculous poo poo-show we got going on.

That sounds like whining. It is me whining a little bit. More than that, it's me realizing how hosed up low level work is in America. Everyone has stories like that, even far higher up the employment ladder. Why is everything so goddamned stupid?

Or maybe it's just the ramblings of someone who hasn't slept in a while. Probably. Maybe.

Quit

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Money

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Find better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
$11.50/hr

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Speaking of which, most states have a minimum call-in time. If you go in for a 15-minute meeting, that's probably worth 2 hours on the ol' timesheet.

Also, loving get another job, that's 100% USDA prime bullshit.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Yeah, I know.

It's easing me back into the work force after more than eight months out of work and getting me into the whole retail grocery eco-system here where I moved in the meantime. I'll get there, back to where things were in Florida. Eventually. After I stop feeling sorry for myself. Overcoming a certain amount of inertia here.

Also morbidly curious as to how hosed this store will get before something dramatic happens.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Listen good man because you need an outside perspective coming from sincere people that have your best interests at heart;

Quit

There are tons of jobs that pay 11.50 an hour that won't prey on your inertia and profit off making you feel like the savior.

Edit; actually, a lot of jobs that pay 11.50 an hour will do exactly that, so quit when they start with that bullshit. You're only living once, don't accept the part of the sucker.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
15 years ago I made $12/hr sitting at the front desk of a city rec center, checking people in, taking phone calls to register people’s kids in classes, and mostly watching TV all day.

You can do better and easier, guaranteed.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

goatface posted:

Find better.

Nobody wants to hire anymore though :(

I've been job hunting for 2+ years. I had an okay resume. Applied to 500+ jobs over a year - only got one call back, a director of digital marketing position that wanted to pay me $31k/year with zero benefits or profit share or bonuses for 80 hour weeks.

So I had my resume professionally redone. Applied for another 200+ jobs. Not a single call back. Then I went and got a couple certifications in data analytics. Applied for 50+ jobs so far this week, still not a single call back.

I don't even have a bad resume. The only thing I can think of holding me back is that I left my last job with no notice after they failed to pay me for 5 straight weeks and had to file an unpaid wages claim with the state's industrial commission. But I doubt any of my apps are even getting to that point.

Some of these job board sites inform you when your application gets viewed and a lot of these job postings never even view applications, even when I have every single qualification they're looking for.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wawa offers $15/h to start. You can do better than this, and you won't even have to try.

:frogout:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nobody wants to hire anymore though :(

I've been job hunting for 2+ years. I had an okay resume. Applied to 500+ jobs over a year - only got one call back, a director of digital marketing position that wanted to pay me $31k/year with zero benefits or profit share or bonuses for 80 hour weeks.

So I had my resume professionally redone. Applied for another 200+ jobs. Not a single call back. Then I went and got a couple certifications in data analytics. Applied for 50+ jobs so far this week, still not a single call back.

I don't even have a bad resume. The only thing I can think of holding me back is that I left my last job with no notice after they failed to pay me for 5 straight weeks and had to file an unpaid wages claim with the state's industrial commission. But I doubt any of my apps are even getting to that point.

Some of these job board sites inform you when your application gets viewed and a lot of these job postings never even view applications, even when I have every single qualification they're looking for.

Start applying to the jobs you don't qualify for.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Odddzy posted:

Listen good man because you need an outside perspective coming from sincere people that have your best interests at heart;

Quit

There are tons of jobs that pay 11.50 an hour that won't prey on your inertia and profit off making you feel like the savior.

Edit; actually, a lot of jobs that pay 11.50 an hour will do exactly that, so quit when they start with that bullshit. You're only living once, don't accept the part of the sucker.

That's been oddly fascinating to watch. I've been in the grocery retail business for a good long while as a vendor, but never got to see the entirety of how these places work. Talking to employees, feeling them out on poo poo or just listening and commiserating, only shows you so much. Turns out there's not much to learn!

I've gone over my surface-level intial read on how they use people until burnout while paying them poo poo before ITT. That has shown itself to be largely correct after further observation. The only surprise is how quickly they can turn a person around. It's a completely unethical and immoral way to do business, and it totally works.

I'm already over doing anything but what my narrow spectrum of responsibility requires. Nod and smile, do my poo poo, have fun where I can, and work on the art of not giving a gently caress. Not like anything you do will have a lasting impact anyways. While we actually do our jobs well enough, and we all get along with each other well enough, everyone has one foot out the door. There are no favors, only concessions to the idiocy that comes with working here.

But, yeah, I gotta get off my rear end and sell my specific services like I used to. God knows the money will go way farther here than back there. Maybe get a little do-nothing part-time job and run the hustle part-time. Still not quite feeling up to pushing too hard, and home life makes it kinda easy not to. In that, I'm really lucky. Makes me feel confident that a bad run won't send me back to the semi-homelessness of roach motel living.

Thank y'all for the pep talk!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Start applying to the jobs you don't qualify for.

I am :(

My best guess is that the job market just fuckin' sucks in my city, the cost of living here has skyrocketed since the start of the pandemic (even a studio apartment here costs about $15k/year more than it used to) but none of the employers have caught up. So all these remote positions avoid people from here because we want too much money compared to someone in Wyoming or whatever, and everyone hiring local seems to be just kind of waiting for CoL to drop before actually hiring anyone.

I'd gladly relocate for a job at this point but I can't afford it and no one offers relocation assistance anymore lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 4, 2023

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Don't take it personally, it's a real nightmare these days. I read an article that suggested ~70% of job ads were fake nothing jobs that are posted just to make it look like the company is growing. So then you think that ~30% of jobs are fake as in they are scams, and you got yourself a real mire to wade through.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've also heard anecdotally from hiring managers that postings that would get 4-5 applicants in the past are now getting well over 100 applicants, so there's exponentially more competition than there used to be for the jobs that are real.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

I am :(

My best guess is that the job market just fuckin' sucks in my city, the cost of living here has skyrocketed since the start of the pandemic (even a studio apartment here costs about $15k/year more than it used to) but none of the employers have caught up. So all these remote positions avoid people from here because we want too much money compared to someone in Wyoming or whatever, and everyone hiring local seems to be just kind of waiting for CoL to drop before actually hiring anyone.

I'd gladly relocate for a job at this point but I can't afford it and no one offers relocation assistance anymore lmao

Start applying for calibration jobs, it’s a cake career field and it’s relatively easy to get into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

everyone hiring local seems to be just kind of waiting for CoL to drop before actually hiring anyone.

it won't