Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
While I'm happy with them merging characters (you can't have all million Aes Sedai from the books), Liandrin/Elaida is one I wouldn't be on board with. Elaida isn't a dark friend, she's just a complete, arrogant idiot. It gives that whole section later in the books with Egwene a different complexion otherwise.

Goofballs posted:

Its not like you can't be black and Irish, as Phil Lynott said its like being a pint of Guiness. But its not exactly the stereotype of the Irish. One of the interesting things about the books is the Aiel are basically the Fremen from Dune. The Fremen are heavily coded as Bedouin. It was an interesting twist that you had a whole bunch of redheads living in the desert. I'm not that bent out of shape about it, like I said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e9WDfg2idk

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hope they don't try and make all darkfriends seem like they have reasonable ideas, just another perspective stuff. I thought it was pretty important thematically that dark friends were selfish assholes and the Dark One even liked and encouraged it, even if that kind of stuff essentially led to him losing all the time. It was what the DO represented, all those things, he could not not like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

While I'm happy with them merging characters (you can't have all million Aes Sedai from the books), Liandrin/Elaida is one I wouldn't be on board with. Elaida isn't a dark friend, she's just a complete, arrogant idiot. It gives that whole section later in the books with Egwene a different complexion otherwise.

How about the possible twist that show Liadrin isn't a Darkfriend and it was actually Sheriam at the DFS?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Jedit posted:

How about the possible twist that show Liadrin isn't a Darkfriend and it was actually Sheriam at the DFS?

Could work I guess? But would it be Sheriam who hands over Egwene to the Seanchan? She can't really travel around so much, being Mistress of Novices and all. I guess she could send Egwene and co into danger without actually travelling with them. It would reveal her as a darkfriend far earlier than the books, but they seem to be changing so much that that doesn't seem too unlikely.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I hope they don't try and make all darkfriends seem like they have reasonable ideas, just another perspective stuff.

There's a difference between making a point of view seem reasonable and being empathetic. I like that they're not making the show's villains be cardboard cutouts.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pretty sure there’s a Judkins interview or Q&A somewhere where he explicitly says Elaida will be in and not combined with anyone. I personally believe Laia Costa is Elaida. She’s a solid B list euro actress just like Meera Syal and Kate Fleetwood which would require a significant role. Elaida is the only remaining major figure at this point in the story we don’t know.

Don’t know why it hasn’t happened yet :shrug:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There was no winnowing out. There are 4 seperate channeling organizations aside from the White Tower and each and every one of them was shown to be bursting at the seams with channelers. Only the Aes Sedai are in decline and that's because they are stupid enough to see a woman who is stronger than the strongest Aes Sedai to exist in centuries and tell her to go back to her farm because she's a grandma. I don't think there's any evidence that bloodline actually affects channeling; like 90% of channelers we see we don't hear about their parents, presumably because they weren't really notable. Of those whose parentage is known... Elayne and Asmodean were born to channeling mothers and that's about all I remember. Maybe the Windfinders? I don't remember the specifics of their situation.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There's still the tons of novice quarters that stay empty that can't entirely be writen off as high admittance standards by Aes Sedai. Opening the novice book up to the kin just about brought them up to full, but that's *every* kin channeler who wanted to join, not just the young girls. And having a thousand kin show up sounds like it's a huge deal, but only in comparison to the paltry numbers they had before then.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I hope they don't try and make all darkfriends seem like they have reasonable ideas, just another perspective stuff. I thought it was pretty important thematically that dark friends were selfish assholes and the Dark One even liked and encouraged it, even if that kind of stuff essentially led to him losing all the time. It was what the DO represented, all those things, he could not not like that.
I kinda agree. Being an actual Darkfriend is very specifically and intentionally crossing a line to throw your lot in with Literally The Devil, who wants to literally destroy existence (the whole "break the Wheel and remake it in his image" bit always seems to gloss over that first part). Being a Darkfriend is not a sympathetic position.

For a more cut down, visual medium I don't necessarily hate giving them more nuance and to maybe try and lead into the Rand vs Ishy philosophical stuff of the ending, but gently so. Meeting random Darkfriends who start spouting nihilist Ishamael crap in the middle of the series does not do it for me.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Season 2 feels like a big step up in quality over season 1 so far. I don't mind changes from the source material... as long as they are good. And as long as the show is above a certain threshold of quality it's easy to just enjoy it and not nit pick it.

- After Nyn popped out of the 3rd Arch the first time, I literally said out loud "Wow, how lame that they didn't show her 3rd trial, that's the best one". I didn't trust the show, so I assumed it was the show being bad rather than a fake out, but then they redeemed themselves. Well done.

- Rand skipping straight to Cairhien is fine. Rand + Selene is working well. The brief Game of Houses stuff was good, Rand's disgust at their being no prize for the Horn and his general distaste for the Nobles was great. Logain becoming Rand's teacher feels like a good idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about Logain. He's being characterized as a completely different person in the show compared to his book counterpart. Logain's madness both in S1 and S2 feels wayyyyy overacted so far. Will Thom make a return?

- New Mat is great, I like him better than Barney already. His new storyline seems good so far. Min feels more like Min. I liked that Mat was so effected by Liandrin's verbal evisceration that he didn't think he could help Egwene or that she'd want to see him, so he skulked away, utterly ashamed of himself. Feels like he's got to go earn some mojo and will have a good little redemption arc off with Min before getting folded back in with the rest of the crew.

- Egwene + Elayne is basically perfect. The Tower stuff is good. Liandrin's expanded roll is good, still not sure she's a darkfriend.

- Perrin + Loail + Shinearens is good. The Seanchan feel right, even if I have some strong disagreements with their costumes, Ball gags chief among them. It would be so much better if Marcus Rutherford spoke in a normal voice. The stupid strained look on his face and his strained voice and the stilted, short way of speaking are awful.

- Moiraine and Lan are the weakest storyline at the moment. Verin and Adeleas were good. Having Moiraine kind of go through the Siuan post stilling plot of keeping herself so busy with her spy network that she doesn't have time to be depressed is good. Bayle Domon do be a good inclusion. I still think she's just shielded.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wish they had kept up the "do be" accent on Domon throughout his scene. He only said it once, then they dropped it

Fortune prick me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I wish they had kept up the "do be" accent on Domon throughout his scene. He only said it once, then they dropped it

Fortune prick me

I noticed that too and kept expecting him to keep it up

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

CainFortea posted:

There's still the tons of novice quarters that stay empty that can't entirely be writen off as high admittance standards by Aes Sedai. Opening the novice book up to the kin just about brought them up to full, but that's *every* kin channeler who wanted to join, not just the young girls. And having a thousand kin show up sounds like it's a huge deal, but only in comparison to the paltry numbers they had before then.
the thousand new novices - and it wasn't just kin, they recruit a number of them from "normal" life as well - are just the ones that have the strength to be aes sedai. The kin as an organization still exists, with notable enough numbers that they have to start to move politically, and make new accomodations now that everything is out in the open. Moreover, the recruitment primarily takes place over a few months as they march to Tar Valon, and mostly within the region that march takes place in. This isn't even talking about the channelers recruited or enslaved by the Seanchan, or the entire male half of the equation that goes from 0 to rivaling the White Tower in months, even with men being actively hunted and killed/gentled.

The winnowing theory is literally just the Aes Sedai misplacing the blame their disastrous recruitment policies (which, to be fair, were likely orchestrated by the Black Ajah) deserved.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
We also can’t be entirely sure whether those channelers were always in the population, or were spun out by the Pattern as part of the buildup toward Tar’mon Gaidon. Jordan did a heckuva job building a world where there are multiple competing explanations, all equally plausible.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do you think they're just going to merge Liandrin into Elaida? There's probably just not enough time in the show to establish Elaida's whole thing, a lawful-evil individual who thinks they're acting in the name of the greater good. Having Liandrin lead the Tower after Siuan is deposed works about as well and would cut down on a number of unnecessary plot threads.

Hexel posted:

Pretty sure there’s a Judkins interview or Q&A somewhere where he explicitly says Elaida will be in and not combined with anyone. I personally believe Laia Costa is Elaida. She’s a solid B list euro actress just like Meera Syal and Kate Fleetwood which would require a significant role. Elaida is the only remaining major figure at this point in the story we don’t know.

Don’t know why it hasn’t happened yet :shrug:

Hexel is correct. Elaida is not cut from the show.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Nihilarian posted:

There was no winnowing out. There are 4 seperate channeling organizations aside from the White Tower and each and every one of them was shown to be bursting at the seams with channelers. Only the Aes Sedai are in decline and that's because they are stupid enough to see a woman who is stronger than the strongest Aes Sedai to exist in centuries and tell her to go back to her farm because she's a grandma. I don't think there's any evidence that bloodline actually affects channeling; like 90% of channelers we see we don't hear about their parents, presumably because they weren't really notable. Of those whose parentage is known... Elayne and Asmodean were born to channeling mothers and that's about all I remember. Maybe the Windfinders? I don't remember the specifics of their situation.

My headcanon (and maybe actual canon?) is that the Black Ajah worked in a lot of stupid rules that hamstring the Aes Sedai over the centuries.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Grundulum posted:

We also can’t be entirely sure whether those channelers were always in the population, or were spun out by the Pattern as part of the buildup toward Tar’mon Gaidon. Jordan did a heckuva job building a world where there are multiple competing explanations, all equally plausible.

Yeah I think it is a both/and situation - the Aes Sedai (being influenced by the Black Ajah) were contributing to a weakening of the channeling ability across the Westlands, and similar things were playing out in other areas. However the ta'averen effect spurred a resurgence in both the number of channelers and the overall power level. As in there were lots of people with the potential to be channelers, and quite strong channelers at that, who would not have sparked if the Last Battle wasn't right around the corner.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not against the new Aes Sedai recruits being part of a Ta'veran web - in fact, that would be a great thing to attribute to Egwene, and part of why she should have been considered such in the books - but I still place the lion's share of the blame at Aes Sedai incompetance/Black Ajah malice. Fewer Aes Sedai could be explained by any number of additional factors that don't involve culling, like society's general distrust of Aes Sedai in the current era. If there are simply fewer channelers than there were at an arbitrary point in the White Tower's existance it could also just stem from, for example, a smaller population. The White Tower was created before the Trolloc Wars.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

Hexel is correct. Elaida is not cut from the show.

Although merging Alviarin and Liandrin is a good possibility

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of this theory.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

But it would take away one of Elaida’s big whines, that her Keeper is from a different ajah which shows her weakness in the hall.

Elaida needs all the whines she can get, it’s her whole character! They’ll have to give her new whines!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I'm not against the new Aes Sedai recruits being part of a Ta'veran web - in fact, that would be a great thing to attribute to Egwene, and part of why she should have been considered such in the books - but I still place the lion's share of the blame at Aes Sedai incompetance/Black Ajah malice. Fewer Aes Sedai could be explained by any number of additional factors that don't involve culling, like society's general distrust of Aes Sedai in the current era. If there are simply fewer channelers than there were at an arbitrary point in the White Tower's existance it could also just stem from, for example, a smaller population. The White Tower was created before the Trolloc Wars.
Fewer Aes Sedai is explained entirely by the fact that by the time of the books the White Tower will only even start to train young women who come to them, and then they kick out a non-trivial number of that already small number. If they were actively recruiting from an entire population, like the Sea Folk, Aiel, or Black Tower do, there would have been maaaaaany more (even allowing for the Tower's strict standards).

And the Tower is almost certainly in the stat that it is because of the Black Ajah. They've had some two thousand years to gently caress around with things from the shadows.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Is Vandene merged into Verin? Are show Verin and show Adeleas sisters? I wasn't paying the greatest attention during that part.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Arrinien posted:

Is Vandene merged into Verin? Are show Verin and show Adeleas sisters? I wasn't paying the greatest attention during that part.

Yes and yes. This is making people speculate that Verin will be the one that kills Adeleas.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

I think this is almost a certainty because the actress playing Liandrin has really taken off and she’s become a pillar of the show.

To me, Alviarin doesn’t bring much to the table as a character that show Liandrin isn’t already providing and she’s already been expanded beyond anything Liandrin was really doing in the books.

Liandrin either already being or becoming the leader and “face” of the Black Ajah feels like a pretty natural progression for the character at this point in the show.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

pik_d posted:

Yes and yes. This is making people speculate that Verin will be the one that kills Adeleas.

I'm OK with this as long as it's not revealed to the audience until her visit with Egwene. Even though she's not really Black, she would have to follow enough orders to kill to not be suspicious. A good change - anywhere they can cut down the number of named Aes Sedai is a good thing.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

arteliad posted:

But go off.

The relative power levels of the characters, from RJ's actual notes, are all easily available online. Nynaeve being 10 times as powerful as Egwene and Elayne doesn't make sense.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Keeping specific power levels is completely unnecessary, the only thing that matters for the story is Nynaeve is stronger

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Rarity posted:

Keeping specific power levels is completely unnecessary, the only thing that matters for the story is Nynaeve is stronger

yeah but egwene needs to know in her soul that nynaeve is way stronger so she can constantly pretend to not be jealous about it for the rest of the series

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Rarity posted:

Her power level is maximum.

Edit: I know in the books that's not true but I would actually not be surprised if, in the show, it is

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Word on the street from reviewers who’ve seen it is episode 4 is a banger.

It’s called Daughter of the Night and is written by Dave Hill who did ep 4 of season 1

Hexel fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 5, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ugh they really added so much stuff not in the books, which like the first season seems like a crazy decision considering there are only 8 episodes.

the actors are uniformly excellent tho, best thing about the show. The production design and costuming is excellent as well.

but man all the unnecessary content written by people not named Robert Jordan. They're just not as good, like if you compare the two, the beginning of the second book was a much more propulsive and exciting start to the story.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

eke out posted:

same here, all the weird fast forwarded fragmentary imagery and the memory loss made it seem like they were going in some very different direction. got me!

Yeah this is my favorite part of the three episodes. What a great head gently caress esp if you read the books.

That, and some of the characters mergings is some great writing and thinking by the creators of the show. Verin replacing Vandene, Elyas replacining Hurin who is non-existent after the second book, that's smart.

Just wish they hewed closer to the books.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
I don't even like the show very much, but there are so many valid criticisms that getting hung up on the number 10 is just weird. Like, the actual problem isn't that Nynaeve is significantly stronger than Egwene, which is accurate, it's that the show keeps cranking the melodrama up to 11 like it's on the CW.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Did anyone else note that the number 8 seems to be replacing 13? 8 forsaken, 8 women to cut a man off from the source, etc

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I caught that, yeah

Immediate thought was "lol budget cuts"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Data Graham posted:

I caught that, yeah

Immediate thought was "lol budget cuts"

DEMANDRED.

HOW FARES THIS QUARTER?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sometimes I forget how early Perrin's chapters become a slog. It's mid-book-6. Nobody cares about your wife, dude.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Did anyone else note that the number 8 seems to be replacing 13? 8 forsaken, 8 women to cut a man off from the source, etc

I never read past knife of dreams but could never keep the forsaken straight. totally cool with them merging a bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
A bunch of them are just final bosses for individual books, not surprised they'd get cut.