Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm just saying it's cool as long as you're okay using your phone or a bike computer whenever you use it but then you have more stuff to set up every time you use your bike

I can't really think of another practical alternative for displaying the information (I guess theoretically if you had an ebike with an lcd display and it could display the information; it doesn't really require a high resolution or anything)

I guess they could theoretically make a dedicated cheap led display that you could leave on your bike but I can't imagine anyone bothering to make that in 2023

mystes has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm at the age where it's getting harder to turn around in the saddle so I appreciate the radar thingy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm at the age where it's getting harder to turn around in the saddle so I appreciate the radar thingy
Mirrors also work fine if you're not someone riding a road bike who is too cool to use a mirror

It's also easier to look behind you if you're riding a bike with a more upright posture

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am trying to gather up the intestinal fortitude to buy an e-bike and start bike commuting. I took one for a test drive the other day, and the idea of turning my head to look behind me while I'm moving is loving terrifying.

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Mirrors also work fine if you're not someone riding a road bike who is too cool to use a mirror

It's also easier to look behind you if you're riding a bike with a more upright posture

I'm too cool to use a mirror, sorry

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

I am trying to gather up the intestinal fortitude to buy an e-bike and start bike commuting. I took one for a test drive the other day, and the idea of turning my head to look behind me while I'm moving is loving terrifying.
That makes me think that you might not be used to riding bikes. If so, if you really have to immediately buy an ebike, I would at least suggest leaving the pedal assist on the lowest setting until you're more used to biking. IMO the one real issue with ebikes is that it's easy for people who are new to biking to go faster than they would on a normal bike and get themselves into trouble.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Mirrors make you look like a loving nerd, and are interpreted by other road users as a sign of weakness.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

That makes me think that you might not be used to riding bikes. If so, if you really have to immediately buy an ebike, I would at least suggest leaving the pedal assist on the lowest setting until you're more used to biking. IMO the one real issue with ebikes is that it's easy for people who are new to biking to go faster than they would on a normal bike and get themselves into trouble.

The commute involves significant inclines/declines, but yeah, I took it as slow as I could, and even walked the bike down the steepest part of the hill I test-rode it on.

It was my first time on a bike in a couple of decades.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I'm beginning to see why so many people don't look around themselves when walking or driving if y'all aren't able to do it on a bike

Apr 7, 2003

SimonSays posted:

I'm beginning to see why so many people don't look around themselves when walking or driving if y'all aren't able to do it on a bike

I'm in my forties and have severe spinal disc deterioration

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah discs begin degenerating around age 25-30, so I make sure to do deadlifts every week to help them degenerate faster

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Mirrors are great, do a bar end or something.

Apr 7, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

yeah discs begin degenerating around age 25-30, so I make sure to do deadlifts every week to help them degenerate faster

that's right

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mlyp

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Grassy Knowles posted:

everything they said plus
- if a coaster brake fails your entire braking mechanism is gone if a handle brake fails you still have another 2-3 pads to rely upon.
- maintenance is far easier when that failure occurs which means higher availability for bicycles in the system

This is dumb because you are American

Apr 7, 2003

My posting is also in it's forties and has severe spinal disc deterioration and spondylolisthesis. Be careful with your posts and always make sure they wear their seatbelts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mostly look behind me when I'm making a turn or something, if you're a newbie, you can pretty much get away with just stopping whenever you need to look behind you.

*Offer not valid in countries where cars are actively trying to murder you

Edit: also if I see a cool bird. Also remember to do the hand signal before you begin braking.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gunshow Poophole posted:

oh sorry I thought you were saying there would be a better way to like... display and communicate information from a radar sensor lol. an implant in my head? some sort of helmet interface?

ar glasses

Apr 7, 2003

BonHair posted:

Also remember to do the hand signal before you begin braking.

🖕

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Good, everyone over 5'10" should be made to suffer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

free Pipsqueak Fentanyl Cloud

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yes, that's the correct hand signal

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eXXon posted:

The Garmin Varia radar taillights are useful and go on sale occasionally. The included mount kinda sucks and 3rd party options aren't great. There's an even more expensive model with a camera and probably even worse battery life.
Varia's are kinda useless in the city IME but great if you're forced to share a lane with cars in the burbs/country.

The camera+radar version has ABSOLUTELY HORRID software (garmin so no wonder), and I wouldn't use it if it were free.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

but are they lentil proof?
:getin:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Internal gears have a huge advantage in that you can put a little cage around the chain so your loose pants don't get caught. Commuters care about this.

Put a guard on the outside of the chain ring and you won’t have this problem.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

same except ban

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hedenius posted:

Yeah, that's probably it. American politicians would love to use eminent domain to build rail infrastructure. The rules are just too strict!

those projects are pretty small, I'm talking about taking enough land to build a rail system

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

I guess they could theoretically make a dedicated cheap led display that you could leave on your bike but I can't imagine anyone bothering to make that in 2023
garmin used to make a radar-only display and it was ONE HUNDRAD DOLLARS and dumb.

lol garmin ALSO used to make a google-style heads-up glasses display. It was ALSO dumb.

skill issue, obviously

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Sep 3, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

garmin used to make a radar-only display and it was ONE HUNDRAD DOLLARS
I guess that's what I would expect from garmin but it should cost like $10

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

I guess that's what I would expect from garmin but it should cost like $10
The BoM was like 10 LEDs and a BT radio lol, get the gently caress outta here garmin

Platystemon posted:

Put a guard on the outside of the chain ring and you won’t have this problem.
chainring guards don't protect from dirt and grease, which is an annoying issue that normal people care about. chain cases are good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

The BoM was like 10 LEDs and a BT radio lol, get the gently caress outta here garmin
It was probably ant+ which I'm guessing is designed to be even cheaper (I think the varia radar devices support both and they just use bluetooth so you can use them with phones)

I think there's at least one company making a knock-off of varia so maybe eventually there will be a cheap one which has a better display option

mystes has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Sep 3, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

It was probably ant+ which I'm guessing is designed to be even cheaper (the varia radar devices support both and they just use bluetooth so you can use them with phones)
They're all 2,4G PANs and BT radios are SO ubiquitous I've no idea which way it'd go on cost.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

sorry you'd have to pay me to take him

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Maed posted:

sorry you'd have to pay me to take him

I'm also open for this offer, PFC, just so you know

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why not use the trains to get people out? (self.BurningMan)

quote:

Disclaimer: I'm from far away, from Ireland, and don't understand American conditions well… but since there's an old station on the Western Pacific Railroad line at Trego Hot Springs 6km away, wouldn't it be possible for the people who run the festival to negotiate with the railroads and get people out, starting with anyone sick or fragile - in freight trains if necessary?

🤣

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've rented beach cruisers with foot brakes. Do they handle salt and rust better? Or are they cheaper/easier to maintain?

They are very low maintenance. No adjustments to be made, nothing sensitive exposed to corrosion, contamination or UV degradation, unlike rim brakes still work with wheels out of true, the brake shoes are steel slathered in grease so they last a loooong time for casual use without any attention at all. Also they make the bike look clean which is my guess as to why you'd put them on a cruiser. Also it's a slow bike meant to go slow so they're probably deemed to be good enough. Like on an omafiets. They overheat and fade out real bad if you ask a lot of them, among other drawbacks already mentioned.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Regarding overheating hub brakes,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwTKeLCs7A&t=113s

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The real king of clean looking low maintenance rear hubs is the "kick shift" Sturmey Archer hub. Not only do you get a coaster brake but also two gears, all operated by pedalling backwards. Want to brake? Now you're in the other gear too! I had a tremendously heavy folding bike that didn't fold anymore (welded frame hinge) with such a hub once, it wasn't completely useless I guess but it sucked to ride. Still, any bike is better than no bike.

Apr 7, 2003

A crash on Route 28 in Fawn Township early Saturday morning left a 28-year-old man dead, according to state police.

Pennsylvania State Police reported that Dominic E. Montemurro was driving a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado around 4 a.m. Saturday when the vehicle was using the Exit 14 off-ramp at Tarentum and left the road.

Police said the car went off the eastern side of the ramp, slid about 300 feet through the grass-covered median and hit a tree. The driver was declared dead on the scene.

Speed was a factor in the accident, police said.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
looks like theres a knockoff varia on aliexpress

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

looks like theres a knockoff varia on aliexpress
they're in the same price range so they would literally have to be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

finally got my bike back together properly, had to get a new crank after the old one got stripped because I hosed up installing the pedal or something. now if only I weren't terrified of the cars that go 60 in a 35 zone around here