Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

You all mocked Invisible War for universal ammo. Well who's laughing now?

ME1s heat system was the best ammo setup I don't care what anyone thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Splatoon was actually the best, every weapon system should fire a substance that you can then roll around in to recharge it, I don't care what work you have to go through to make this fit within every game's universe

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Playing AC6 makes me want a modern mega man legends game more :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

You all mocked Invisible War for universal ammo. Well who's laughing now?

Y'know, I really don't mind amm when you don't have to carry it and make space for it. Deus Ex system? No. Wolfenstein, DOOM, The Evil Within, and Saints Row? Sure thing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what if all of game ammo was an nft?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

bossy lady posted:

Playing AC6 makes me want a modern mega man legends game more :(

same but for playing any game

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

having a lot of fun in baldur's gate except for the multiple encounters now where i've gotten into combat and then been like "...wait, where's one of my party members?" and then i switch to them and they, like, stopped following me a half mile ago because the computer forgot how to walk through ankle-deep water or whatever

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Y'know, I really don't mind amm when you don't have to carry it and make space for it. Deus Ex system? No. Wolfenstein, DOOM, The Evil Within, and Saints Row? Sure thing.

You say this but there are a surprisingly large amount of ways map design can gently caress with you and your ammo in a good Doom map.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Hit the end of chapter 1 boss in AC6.

I really don't get much time to play games any more, and it's bumming me out that a game I've been looking forwards to for decades has this solid wall of a boss. I've had a look at guides online and most just say "Use the pulse gun - it took me three hours to beat the guy!". And it's like... three hours is most of my free time over a week, or a solid chunk of my weekend.

I guess the thing dragging this game down for me is that it is a reminder that I no longer have the freedom of youth, and the simple joys I once took for granted have withered and died.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF Things Dragging Games Down: the simple joys I once took for granted have withered and died

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

so in the pc version of BG3, when you pause it, does the game just continue playing underneath the pause screen? because that's been the case with the PS5 version -- i pause because i need to get up for whatever reason, but even with the pause screen up, combat continues until it reaches one of my turns. annoying!!! little thing dragging down!!! (it also doesn't pause when you hit the screenshot button, lol)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

very risky blowjob posted:

so in the pc version of BG3, when you pause it, does the game just continue playing underneath the pause screen? because that's been the case with the PS5 version -- i pause because i need to get up for whatever reason, but even with the pause screen up, combat continues until it reaches one of my turns. annoying!!! little thing dragging down!!! (it also doesn't pause when you hit the screenshot button, lol)

yes, it sucks.

EDIT: there's a mod that adds an actual pause. idk if it works.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Sep 4, 2023

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

having a lot of fun in baldur's gate except for the multiple encounters now where i've gotten into combat and then been like "...wait, where's one of my party members?" and then i switch to them and they, like, stopped following me a half mile ago because the computer forgot how to walk through ankle-deep water or whatever

I've put something like 100 hours in and I've never had that happen. Every time I've left someone behind (and its happened a bunch) it was because I separated them from the party for some reason. Sure you're not doing that?

And yeh the lack of pause is a bit annoying.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Surprised it's never happened to you, it happens a lot for me.

makes sense a D&D game wouldn't implement a pathfinder

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 3 and Yakuza 7 are probably the best games with the worst job systems. Pretty much all the praise there is is reserved for the story, presentation, side-quests etc.

But the job systems are a bust and will hopefully be ditched in the sequels.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Sep 4, 2023

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Xenoblade 3 and Yakuza 7 are probably the best games with the worst job systems. Pretty much all the praise there is is reserved for the story, presentation, side-quests etc.

But the job systems are a bust and will hopefull be ditched in the sequels.

I enjoyed XBC3 job system for quite a while, but then I realized I was never actually USING the jobs I'd leveled up. Like, once you've mastered a job, you feel compelled to move onand get another one, so it ends up feeling frustrating and self-defeating.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It's happened to me as well a few times, usually after jumping somewhere the character couldn't reach.

afaict you can just walk up the missing character to the battle and it'll join, which I used to my advantage positioning wise.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wait, what's wrong with the job system in Yak 7?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It may be cheese to some, but Octopath's point-buy system was a godsend since JP was a universal currency that could freely spent. You could ignore the Hunter class completely and just dump 9k points into it to max it out.

Chained Echoes was a game that definitely didn't need a crappy and vestigial multi-class system.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DOS2 already taught me well to smash F5 the second you see anything resembling fire on the edge of your screen.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This mostly seems to affect my dog.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gerblyn posted:

I enjoyed XBC3 job system for quite a while, but then I realized I was never actually USING the jobs I'd leveled up. Like, once you've mastered a job, you feel compelled to move onand get another one, so it ends up feeling frustrating and self-defeating.

Doesn't help that JRPGs are a huge blind spot for me in general, but that's definitely a key reason why I never really "got" job systems.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Sep 4, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gerblyn posted:

I think the big problem with XBC3's job system is actually two different, smaller problems butting heads.

1. It's got the issue a few bad job system games have where they fumble the balance to the point where there's three types of job: the ones that are way better to play as than anything else (seriously, it is insane how much better Full Metal Jaguar and Seraph are compared to every other Attacker), the ones that have really good abilities for other jobs but aren't really that impressive themselves, and the ones that just aren't worth bothering with at all.

2. Xenoblade's gameplay in general being really granular with a bunch of somewhat generic ability effects that are meant to combo together, and 3's large party on top of that, meaning that individual build or strategic choices matter a lot less than they do in other games.

They combine to mean that while it's fairly plausible to game this system, it doesn't feel particularly impactful even when you do, because it mostly just means your indistinct murderball of a party kills things indistinctly faster.

That said, I will grant it the compliment that it absolutely nails the more aesthetic appeal of job systems. There's not that much gameplay incentive to change up jobs constantly, but there is the incentive of watching everyone wear a procession of cool coats as you see 'Rank Up' flash over their heads every so often, and I won't deny, that's like 35% of a good job system right there.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Sep 4, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Taeke posted:

It's happened to me as well a few times, usually after jumping somewhere the character couldn't reach.

yes the fact different characters jump different distances makes logical sense but it really throws a spanner into something the game already struggles with

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Karlach won't willingly walk into a gas cloud that gimps die rolls even after all the nearby enemies are dead, but will happily walk into my Space Colony ARK super laser piss immediately after combat and throw away a third of her hit points

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taeke posted:

afaict you can just walk up the missing character to the battle and it'll join, which I used to my advantage positioning wise.

you must gather your party before venturing forth

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Thinking about it, it's probably because my lead was a bard and therefore can't jump anywhere that exciting, and all the other characters could follow well enough.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’ve occasionally had a pair of party members end up left behind despite both being able to make the jump. I think it happens because of some Three Stooges Syndrome phenomenon, where they both need to stand on the end of the platform to make the jump but they both try to get there at the same time and block each others’ path long for enough that the pathfinding gives up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arivia posted:

I always conflate this line in my head with Evil Ash in Army of Darkness trying to say "sally forth" and his jaw falling away.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok posted:

Wait, what's wrong with the job system in Yak 7?

I'm going to be weird and answer my own question now that I've tried thinking about it.

Most of it comes down to how each job requires a certain weapon but only for the basic Attack. For magic and special moves the character will just summon whatever weapon or object they need for the move. So why not just let me use whatever weapon I want based on weapon stats? What ends up happening is that the real disincentive to switching jobs is not the setback of being at a lower rank in some new role but having to hunt down or create a decent weapon for the job to not be a useless member of the party (and how resource- and time-intensive that is).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Arivia posted:

*Screams in KOTOR*

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Arivia posted:

This audio is seared into my brain and will be there until the day I die

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

I think the big problem with XBC3's job system is actually two different, smaller problems butting heads.

1. It's got the issue a few bad job system games have where they fumble the balance to the point where there's three types of job: the ones that are way better to play as than anything else (seriously, it is insane how much better Full Metal Jaguar and Seraph are compared to every other Attacker), the ones that have really good abilities for other jobs but aren't really that impressive themselves, and the ones that just aren't worth bothering with at all.

2. Xenoblade's gameplay in general being really granular with a bunch of somewhat generic ability effects that are meant to combo together, and 3's large party on top of that, meaning that individual build or strategic choices matter a lot less than they do in other games.

They combine to mean that while it's fairly plausible to game this system, it doesn't feel particularly impactful even when you do, because it mostly just means your indistinct murderball of a party kills things indistinctly faster.

That said, I will grant it the compliment that it absolutely nails the more aesthetic appeal of job systems. There's not that much gameplay incentive to change up jobs constantly, but there is the incentive of watching everyone wear a procession of cool coats as you see 'Rank Up' flash over their heads every so often, and I won't deny, that's like 35% of a good job system right there.

Yea, any tough fight was getting the whichever character I felt like controlling as FMJ and just steamrolling things. It was the only class that I could consistently pull aggro from the tanks. Compared to say, the archer class which doesn't feel like it does much damage, and takes forever to actually activate skills.

Also doesn't help that if you do want to get characters in every class, you'll out-level the game to the point where it doesn't matter too much.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Morpheus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93XFxKXdbqY

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, any tough fight was getting the whichever character I felt like controlling as FMJ and just steamrolling things. It was the only class that I could consistently pull aggro from the tanks. Compared to say, the archer class which doesn't feel like it does much damage, and takes forever to actually activate skills.

Also doesn't help that if you do want to get characters in every class, you'll out-level the game to the point where it doesn't matter too much.

And then you get the DLC (not Future Connected, those don't come back to the base game) classes which are better than most of the base game classes.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The Faith-Leap Trial or whatever it was called is the jankiest poo poo ever, I succeeded but I have no idea how. Plus it made me use loving Gale

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The Faith-Leap Trial or whatever it was called is the jankiest poo poo ever, I succeeded but I have no idea how. Plus it made me use loving Gale

The safe path is shown on the tile pattern on the floor. For me it also showed up visibly in tactical view but that might have been a bug.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Morpheus posted:

I can't leave without my buddy Superfly!

I think my enthusiasm for Sea of Stars is gone. It makes a drat fine first impression but I feel like the game doesn't bring anything new after the first few hours. You barely get any new party members, there are no new combat mechanics, there's one cool thing you get mid-game but I feel like it's really underutilized... But the 2 things that killed the game for me were;
1. The story starts out fine but quickly becomes a seemingly endless series of fetch quests. Ultimately there are only 3 main goals (I think, I haven't finished the story) in the game but to complete each you have to trade seashells and crystals and balls with the entire world.
2. There's very little incentive to explore. The world map is extremely linear; everything is locked until you're supposed to go there, there are very few side areas on the world map (actually I'm pretty sure I haven't found any so far) and very few, small ones on the field, and while there are some "metroidvania"-esque bits where you need to backtrack and use an ability that you unlock later, backtracking is such a god drat chore until you get a super late game ability that I would honestly say that you shouldn't do it at all until then. The game also seems to work on a log scale for XP requirements so hanging out in an area you've already cleared barely gives you anything.

Separately I don't think either is too bad; I don't mind video game stories at all when they're just an excuse for more gameplay, and I actually like that the game's trying to make you play at a brisker pace and not run around in circles killing slimes until you're strong enough for a boss, but it's making me rush through a story that really feels stretched out and I got bored of playing the game bits hours ago.

I got the game for free (well, on Game Pass) so maybe that's skewing my perspective a bit but I would have absolutely loved the game if it lasted 8-10 hours, but I'm closing in on 20 and I'm not done yet.

Edit: Oh, and I posted earlier about bad French puns in the game but I've encountered the worst one since then: the underwater place is called "Antsudlo" ("En dessous de l'eau", literally Underwater) which crosses the line between Bad Joke and Not Even Trying Anymore.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Sep 5, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Waste of Breath posted:

The safe path is shown on the tile pattern on the floor. For me it also showed up visibly in tactical view but that might have been a bug.

I realized there was probably an invisible path so I brought out Gale for the See Invisibility spell, but I have no idea if that's actually what made it visible because, as in your case, poo poo just wasn't loading properly. I'm pretty sure the patches of Darkness weren't visible on my successful attempt but it's always a coin flip if poo poo like that shows up at all. Still affects your character though!!

The Wicked ZOGA has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Sep 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I realized there was probably an invisible path so I brought out Gale for the See Invisibility spell

Just lol if you don't let Volo perform impromptu brain surgery on you to never need to worry about that spell again.