Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Star Man posted:

I would imagine the biggest western video game developers and publishers would move their mocap and voice talent over to a place like Canada or New Zealand. Somewhere that SAG-AFTRA can't get them.

this sounds like move that will backfire, my gut says that most english speaking countries, even the UK are less regressive than America. like it works for weird accounting tax tricks, but not for skills and labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
NZ literally gutted its labor laws for the Hobbit

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gyges posted:

Yeah, Miami and Key West are the Florida cities you've heard of that are facing complete devastation from sea level rises.

You should see a doctor

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Nenonen posted:

You should see a doctor

Its just the tip

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I live in that upper right red part there on an island maybe a mile wide. 3x I've had hurricane flood waters reach half way up my slanted driveway and several neighbors to my west have flooded multiple times. My house is paid for so my plan is to stick around, wait 6 years for my son to turn 18, the child support payments are done and then sell this place if it's still standing and gently caress off ot higher ground somewhere. Hopefully out of the godforsaken red hell hole of Florida

Sell the house to who, Ben? loving Aquaman?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

NZ literally gutted its labor laws for the Hobbit

Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

borkencode posted:

Sell the house to who, Ben? loving Aquaman?

In 6 years? Some rich gently caress who wants coastal property and has money to burn.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Star Man posted:

I would imagine the biggest western video game developers and publishers would move their mocap and voice talent over to a place like Canada or New Zealand. Somewhere that SAG-AFTRA can't get them.

I doubt it's actually that easy to outsource voice acting to overseas. Even if they speak flawless English, they're going to have different accents.

Plus I imagine that New Zealand, population ~5 million, is going to have a smaller talent pool of professional voice actors than the US does.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Former vegan here, people also just really hate vegans.

Like you ask for a vegan option at a restaurant or if something has dairy or fish sauce or so on, you bring something vegan, you just decline to eat and have a coffee or whatever, you will be labelled the preachy vegan even without ever commenting on anyone’s choices or saying the word vegan

Existing while vegan pisses people off

One of my friends invited me to her dinner club thing where they go try out a new restaurant every other week and I’ve been twice. Both times there was at least 1 or 2 people at the table who would make a big deal about her being vegan ranging from patronizing “are you sure you can eat that” comments to “””””jokes””””” about how vegans always preach on and on about being vegan.

The thing is I have literally never heard her even mention that she was a vegan at the table. But other people sure do love pointing it out for her.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My father was a contractor and it was incredibly hard on his body. He was adamant that I not follow his footsteps, so it's interesting to see people advocating the opposite. If I was talking to someone interested in the trades I'd steer them towards a specialty that's easier on the body.

:same:

If and whenever it pays well the trades are always brutal work that breaks your body and sometimes poisons you too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Boris Galerkin posted:

One of my friends invited me to her dinner club thing where they go try out a new restaurant every other week and I’ve been twice. Both times there was at least 1 or 2 people at the table who would make a big deal about her being vegan ranging from patronizing “are you sure you can eat that” comments to “””””jokes””””” about how vegans always preach on and on about being vegan.

The thing is I have literally never heard her even mention that she was a vegan at the table. But other people sure do love pointing it out for her.

When I tried being vegan for a year or so, the only way to get people to shut the gently caress up about what I ate was to say it was a diet. Mention you're doing it to lose weight and everyone who was losing their poo poo just accepts it.

They still can't figure out what it means though. "What, you can't eat eggs/milk/fish byproduct?" they'll ask for the 50th time. It made me fear the horrors that someone with actual food allergies must go through.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gyges posted:

They still can't figure out what it means though. "What, you can't eat eggs/milk/fish byproduct?" they'll ask for the 50th time. It made me fear the horrors that someone with actual food allergies must go through.

Comes up in the R/relationships thread a LOT that people will food allergies constantly have to deal with SOs/in-laws/family members trying to 'test' them and mess with their food or force them to eat what they've repeatedly stated they're dangerously allergic to.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I don't have the diet of a vegan, but I can imagine. I'm a picky eater. I've gotten better as I've gotten older but I eat the same foods at the same restaurants always. It drives my family bonkers, to the point I've quit eating with them. Let people eat what they want. If they aren't actively dying, they don't need your help

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Main Paineframe posted:

I doubt it's actually that easy to outsource voice acting to overseas. Even if they speak flawless English, they're going to have different accents.

Plus I imagine that New Zealand, population ~5 million, is going to have a smaller talent pool of professional voice actors than the US does.

I don't think that is at all true. There's a lot of actors in American film who are British and Australian that hide their native accents with coaching.

A lot of major Hollywood films are already shot in Canada. You'll fly out stars to Vancouver or Toronto, film there, and use local talent in Canada for extras and character actors. One of the biggest importers of anime in the west is Ocean Group, and they're based in Vancouver. Just about every episodic cartoon show you watched growing up was voiced by Canadians.

New Zealand's been the filming location of a handful of American TV shows like Power Rangers, Hercules, Xena, and others.

Motion capture can be done anywhere. You don't see the faces of the mocap actors, they're irrelevant. Any foreign country where an adequate studio will do.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Gyges posted:

2 of my best friends (married couple) both have severe allergies to different things - and relatively common ones at that. Nobody in our mutual circles of friends ever tests or questions them on it, and because both of them have allergies, I doubt their inlaws do either. I do know that when we go out to eat, they have a list of restaurants that they know are safe that we pick from - anything not on that list requires a call in advance to confirm and a stern look at the menu. Certain cuisines are simply off the table as well.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Studios don't really need to offshore. SAG-AFTRA is much weaker in video games than it is for TV or movies and doesn't have the same kind of monopoly on necessary labor. Non-union jobs are already common and you can do 99% of the work for a game without actors. In the 2017 strike, the union pretty much gave up their main demand (residuals) after a year where the strike didn't really disrupt anything.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 4, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Florida: "Where Woke Goes To Die and Nazis Thrive!"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Keys already flood now, on sunny days. There are a bunch of articles out there but they don't really get much attention.

Biscayne Blvd in Miami does this as well.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

There's a pretty big distinction between lowlying coastal areas and Orlando (and Gainesville, and Tallahassee). As much trouble as it's going to cause, Florida as a whole is not going to sink beneath the waves.

No, but there's going to be consequences unforseen in the next half-century from losing parts of the state. Disney already had surprisingly low crowds this summer and while there can be many causes as to this (prices too high, people already blew their post-covid vacation load, DeSantis/conservatives turning on the Mouse), it's not unreasonable to think that Florida summers are going to be too hot for tourists to want to go and stand in line for hours.

My gut says that Disney is going to be very interested in the American Heartland theme park that's opening up in Oklahoma. If that can prove to be a reliable draw over the next decade, then Disney may decide that somewhere in the Great Plains midwest may be the next logical step for Disney expansion. They can only build so much currently due to the amount of wetlands that are protected and they're at the point where they really need to start considering building a fifth park to handle crowds (in theory), if Disney could allow themselves to be forward thinking enough to plan a third major campus/city, midwestern areas that might have milder winters due to climate change might be the play.

Yes it means tornados instead of hurricanes but nowhere's going to be 100% safe from climate change and we're not building on the moon yet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Comes up in the R/relationships thread a LOT that people will food allergies constantly have to deal with SOs/in-laws/family members trying to 'test' them and mess with their food or force them to eat what they've repeatedly stated they're dangerously allergic to.

A story that always comes to my mind wrt that stuff is how Jason Mantzoukas almost died as a kid because he is incredibly allergic to eggs and while over at a friend's house that friend's parents didn't believe that his egg allergy was real so they served him something with egg in it. They thought he was a picky eater and they almost killed him.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

At the high school where I teach, I have in recent years had several kids go vegan, permanently or temporarily. I’ve been heartened that other kids don’t give them a hard time much. (They do argue about the ethics of it, but these are teenagers; they’ll argue about anything.) And when they bring in food for a special class or advisory, they’re always good about bringing something that the vegan kid can eat. So the kids are all right, etc etc.

(What I’ve found interesting is that a bunch of them have stopped eating animal products to improve their athletic performance. I guess there was a documentary about that making the rounds a year or two back and it had an influence.)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

borkencode posted:

A group of tech billionaires secretly bought up 50k acres in Northern California, and only started getting attention because the government was concerned about it being next to Travis AFB.
Are they beholden to the whims of their shareholders to have their Galt's Gulch built and making profitable for the next quarter?

There's no way Disney moves.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Srice posted:

A story that always comes to my mind wrt that stuff is how Jason Mantzoukas almost died as a kid because he is incredibly allergic to eggs and while over at a friend's house that friend's parents didn't believe that his egg allergy was real so they served him something with egg in it. They thought he was a picky eater and they almost killed him.

Of course, the most important takeaway is that even if he was just a picky eater it's still an rear end in a top hat thing to do. Respect people's boundaries, full stop. If you feel the need to test them, you are an rear end in a top hat.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Gyges posted:

As someone whose spouse has both celiac disease and multiple food allergies, lemme tell ya, poo poo sucks! Eating out is basically an impossibility, and it's incredibly hard for people to understand the concept of cross-contamination. (The closest we've ever gotten was a Jewish friend who was like "Ohhhhh, so it's like kosher!")

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Looks like Laura Loomer had a rough time covering the Florida Nazi rally, but at least she was able to appreciate the beautiful displays of the first amendment in person

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cheesus posted:

Are they beholden to the whims of their shareholders to have their Galt's Gulch built and making profitable for the next quarter?

There's no way Disney moves.

I believe they're trying to build a no poo poo Libertarian City. An idea that is equal parts terrifying and baffling. Like, how do you even plan and build out an intrinsically governmental entity for libertarians? Are all the roads toll roads, and all services based on an insurance model?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Gyges posted:

I believe they're trying to build a no poo poo Libertarian City. An idea that is equal parts terrifying and baffling. Like, how do you even plan and build out an intrinsically governmental entity for libertarians? Are all the roads toll roads, and all services based on an insurance model?

They're pushing for walkable, so look at places like Seaside FL or Seabrook WA for recent US examples of walkable planned communities. And yes, it does feel like the Truman Show to live in one (the movie was filmed in Seaside)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fighting Trousers posted:

As someone whose spouse has both celiac disease and multiple food allergies, lemme tell ya, poo poo sucks! Eating out is basically an impossibility, and it's incredibly hard for people to understand the concept of cross-contamination. (The closest we've ever gotten was a Jewish friend who was like "Ohhhhh, so it's like kosher!")
as a cook myself, its not hard to get new poo poo or clean and sanitize the food prep area, not that im doubting that other restaurants suck about it

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

parthenocarpy posted:

They're pushing for walkable, so look at places like Seaside FL or Seabrook WA for recent US examples of walkable planned communities. And yes, it does feel like the Truman Show to live in one (the movie was filmed in Seaside)

Oh, so walkable cities are fine if they are the ones doing it?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

"If we're the ones doing it" is core libertarian ideology.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

parthenocarpy posted:

Looks like Laura Loomer had a rough time covering the Florida Nazi rally, but at least she was able to appreciate the beautiful displays of the first amendment in person

I don’t want to google her name. What happened.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Well you can dive head first into the libertarian dream scenario where the sidewalks are coin operated every step. Sounds fun. If they're truly aiming for a walkable community then the foundation of the layout is basically "barrier free, unless you are a motor vehicle." I've seen a lot more publicity from the people funding the whole thing about the community being walkable, not libertarian.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

davecrazy posted:

I don’t want to google her name. What happened.

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-757450

quote:

'Jews won't replace us': Neo-Nazis rally in Disney World, across Florida

The neo-Nazis hurled insults and abuse at a female Jewish journalist present at the rally.

By SAM HALPERN, JERUSALEM POST STAFF Published: SEPTEMBER 4, 2023 05:35
Updated: SEPTEMBER 4, 2023 09:34

Neo-Nazis from the antisemitic Goyim Defense League (GDL) held demonstrations across Florida on Saturday, right-wing Jewish journalist, Laura Loomer revealed in videos posted to X (formerly Twitter) the following day.

In one video, Loomer records video as she approaches the assembled group of white supremacists, all of whom are wearing red shirts. The majority also wear balaclavas and sunglasses with the apparent intention of hiding their identities.

Many of the red shirts bear the image of a skull on the font with the acronym, GDL, plastered on the skull’s forehead.

The back of the shirts bear the number “88.”

According to the ADL, 88 is a white supremacist code for “Heil Hitler.” “H,” being the eighth letter of the alphabet makes 88 equivalent to “HH” or “Heil Hitler.”

Some of the demonstrators carried large blag flag emblazoned with white swastikas. As Loomer approaches, the assembled men make Nazi salutes, chanting “Heil Hitler” and hurl insults at her, shouting things such as “f*** you, k*ke,” and “Jew.” Then, having recognized her, they point at Loomer and taunt her, calling out “Jewmer.”

Then, as they continue to point at her, in unison they began chanting, “f*ggot” repeatedly.

Later, she films as a man points at her and says, “Jew,” before looking over to his peers. He then approaches Loomer and says, “Put the Jew in the oven!” before flipping up his middle fingers and making a Nazi salute.

Another shouts “The Holocaust didn’t happen. Six million didn’t die.”

Shortly thereafter, she is approached by GDL leader, Jon Minadeo II who apparently attempts to make the argument that some European countries having laws against denying the Holocaust is itself evidence discrediting the occurrence of the Holocaust.

He shortly abandons the line of questioning however and walks away.

Another GDL member makes the remark to Loomer saying that she looks like the doll “Jigsaw” from the Horror film franchise, “Saw.”

Numerous demonstrators subsequently began chanting, “Jigsaw Jew” at Loomer.

Encounter with Jon Minadeo

In a separate encounter with Minadeo that day, the white supremacist leader again questioned Loomer on laws regarding the Holocaust in European countries.

“Laura Jewmer,” Minadeo began, approaching Loomer as the two filmed each other. “Why is the Holocaust illegal to question in eighteen countries?” He went on to ask Loomer if she supported Europeans being “thrown in jail for questioning the ‘Holo-hoax?” When Loomer asked why Minadeo was making her responsible for justifying European Holocaust laws, he responded, “Because you’re Jewish” adding that he wants Loomer to leave the United States and live in Israel.

“The Jews are going to get expelled again. You know you’ve been expelled, right?” Minadeo asked. “Do you know your people have been expelled from 109 nations?”

The ADL notes that the claim that Jews have been expelled from 109 nations is a claim often cited by white supremacists “and probably originates with a list of ‘109 locations’ appearing on a longstanding Australian antisemitic website.”

Loomer proceeded to ask the GDL leader what she had done to him to warrant her expulsion from the US to which Minadeo responded by claiming that Jews are responsible for usury, pedophilia, and pornography.

As Loomer begins that it is erroneous to blame an entire people for individual behaviors, Minadeo again interrupts her.

“110, never again you ugly, tr*nny Jew. F*** you, white power,” he says, turning and walking away.

The ADL explains the phrase “110” often is used in conjunction with “109” to express the white-supremacist desire that Jews should continue to be expelled from countries.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i wonder if the regressive jewish snowbirds in FL think they wont be leopard face eaten.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PhazonLink posted:

i wonder if the regressive jewish snowbirds in FL think they wont be leopard face eaten.

They just have to avoid the leopard for like 3/4 months a year. So a whole lot of societal degradation can happen before it begins to affect their gated retirement community.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Villages has a fence and guard station, I’m sure.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

He then approaches Loomer and says, “Put the Jew in the oven!” before flipping up his middle fingers and making a Nazi salute.

I know what they mean, but it'd be a mean feat to flip a double bird while simultaneously heiling. :hmmno:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Star Man posted:

I don't think that is at all true. There's a lot of actors in American film who are British and Australian that hide their native accents with coaching.

A lot of major Hollywood films are already shot in Canada. You'll fly out stars to Vancouver or Toronto, film there, and use local talent in Canada for extras and character actors. One of the biggest importers of anime in the west is Ocean Group, and they're based in Vancouver. Just about every episodic cartoon show you watched growing up was voiced by Canadians.

New Zealand's been the filming location of a handful of American TV shows like Power Rangers, Hercules, Xena, and others.

Motion capture can be done anywhere. You don't see the faces of the mocap actors, they're irrelevant. Any foreign country where an adequate studio will do.

Funny thing is most don’t need coaching. They all grow up watching American media so standard Midwest is very natural for them. Unless you’re Chris Hemsworth and your accent changes every line. If you ever get drunk with Australians or like South Africans (don’t do this by the way) ask them to do an American accent. It’s funny.

I don’t know if it’s changing back but when I was trying to get in to film Vancouver had been kinda supplanted by Atlanta and I’m not sure if that’s changed. Vancouver just didn’t get enough days with sun. And even in Atlanta they’re bitching about how many days they lose to rain. Also how quickly the southern production crews unionized.

Motion cap can in theory be done anywhere but it takes a lot to get started. I did a movie where they had to put my face on someone else. They still flew me out to LA and spun me around in a desk chair. This was back in like 2014 or so. Voice stuff can be done everywhere.

The biggest thing for Australia or New Zealand is they just do not have to equipment out there or the people that know how to use it. A friend of mine who had his own steadycam rig was thinking of moving to Australia and he reached out to some guy on a message board to see what the work was like. Back in 2015 there was only one guy in Australia with a rig, and work was so scarce he was installing tile on the side. Plus, if they do something like use non union production crews they grab in Australia they’ll get their asses torn up. Even if they decided to go with local hair and make or whatever, the rest of the production crews would revolt. Especially on big productions.

So yeah, actors are completely replaceable, but the tech is not necessarily, and the crews will shut down anything.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rappaport posted:

I know what they mean, but it'd be a mean feat to flip a double bird while simultaneously heiling. :hmmno:

One can easily Hail Hydra with both middle fingers out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I know Loomer most likely has a mental issue, but it's crazy how hard she leans into this stuff.

How can she keep up with whatever her schtik is when the people she's supporting literally want her dead? Openly stated as well. I mean, the next step is to lynch her?

It's crazy! She's crazy!