Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

another 90 minutes in. first larger dungeon (the mole one) was still v linear, i guess this is just how the game's gonna be, i'll have to set my expectations

the two main characters could have had a personality if the game wasn't so focused on plot and worldbuilding, it seems like they exist primarily to react to things. even still, they could have had some sort of basic "one's a slacker one's no-nonsense" dynamic or something. Garl is fine though, he's like a sidekick you'd have in a Lunar game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

hanales posted:

Now where the gently caress are the suikoden rereleases and eiyuden chronicles already.

:(

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How is crafting supposed to work in this upcoming SO2 remaster and what makes it so busted?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How is crafting supposed to work in this upcoming SO2 remaster and what makes it so busted?

The same as the original, presumably . It's mostly very rudimentary, a material is consumed for the chance to randomly create something off a pre-determined list of items. For example, if you do Metalworking, you can select Gold Ore as your crafting material, and it has a chance of producing one of several accessories, like a Gold Necklace, or Gold Bracelet, or whatever. If you do Cooking, you can select Meat as your crafting material, you'll randomly create one of several Meat-based dishes. Some items can only be created by certain characters (adult-aged characters can make Sake from Cooking -> Grain, everyone has a list of what accessories they can make through Metalworking).

The busted stuff is Weapon Customization, where you take a weapon in your inventory and add either an Ore or a Gemstone as a material to create a new weapon. So like, Iron Sword + Ruby might make Flame Sword. It's really limited, you probably won't naturally discover any actual combinations without a guide, and even with the right combinations the failure rate is high. However, you can get the necessary Ore and the necessary Sword to create the main character's strongest weapon pretty early in the game (again, if you're following a guide or someone told you how to do it).

Anyway speaking of Star Ocean 2 r, the opening animation dropped and it's really bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVRv7HTc-9M

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 2, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I played Star Ocean 2 PSP and checked guides on how to get the ultimate sword early on, but it didn't seem to be possible quite so early anymore in that version - I want to say they changed where a necessary skill is found, so the ability to do it comes later. I could be wrong, of course, but if they include the PSP remake's changes that at least might be delayed a little while.

Crafting was still super good in that game and I got lost in it for a while anyway.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The extensive crafting and economy system in Bloodstained takes 20 hours to complete while the actual campaign only takes 10.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All games should have in depth cooking systems

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

what im getting about sea of stars so far is that it would have made more sense to just cut one of the main chars or make them non swappable or do the SRW thing or whatever instead of being basically the same character twice

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

what im getting about sea of stars so far is that it would have made more sense to just cut one of the main chars or make them non swappable or do the SRW thing or whatever instead of being basically the same character twice

There is a good reason to have both since having sun and moon on the same character would suck

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
okay regardless of the actual plot the Archivist moving from narrator to part of the story is making me wonder if there's gonna be anything meta

Do you like Teaks's stories, as foreshadowing goes, or do you feel like the game is just spoiling future locations and characters for you with it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

okay regardless of the actual plot the Archivist moving from narrator to part of the story is making me wonder if there's gonna be anything meta

Do you like Teaks's stories, as foreshadowing goes, or do you feel like the game is just spoiling future locations and characters for you with it

I liked them but would prefer if they didnt all feel plot relevant

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FireWorksWell posted:

It blew my mind when I tried the ps5 version of Ghost of Tsushima and fast travel was instant.

PS5's load times in general are pretty great and there's no excuse for any future console to not meet or exceed what the PS5 does.

...please Nintendo, put m2 drives in the Switch 2 and don't make the onboard storage a loving flash card again. :pray:

hanales posted:

Now where the gently caress are the suikoden rereleases and eiyuden chronicles already.

Everything they showed for the Suikoden remakes screamed "this needs more work" especially the UI (and emulators exist in the meanwhile) but Eiyuden being delayed hurts.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

teaks' stories are cool but none of them are remotely as rad as the explanation of the Nine True Kings in chained echoes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Rhapsody 2 and started 3, what a bizarre game. You can see the usual NIS systems bullshit moving in to combat and obviously someone thought the easiest way to show the power of the PS2 was to have a 16 member party all on screen at once lol
Not sure why I'm starting out playing side stories from the first two games either.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

disposablewords posted:

I played Star Ocean 2 PSP and checked guides on how to get the ultimate sword early on, but it didn't seem to be possible quite so early anymore in that version - I want to say they changed where a necessary skill is found, so the ability to do it comes later. I could be wrong, of course, but if they include the PSP remake's changes that at least might be delayed a little while.

Crafting was still super good in that game and I got lost in it for a while anyway.

my favorite thing is how many ways you can get the material to do it. You can spend forever cooking to raise money for the pickpocketing gloves to steal a treasure chest from a random old man to savescum it forever until you get the material. you can wait until the dungeon at the end of the first disc to grab an accessory that randomly drops it. in the town where you get the base weapon is a guide to teach you a completely useless skill that drops an item in your inventory every time you rank it up - and guess what, you can savescum that too.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I've never bothered with it so I always thought it was a drop off powerful enemies that you aren't technically supposed to encounter yet

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That’s probably the “intended” thing, really tough late/postgame enemies generally drop the good crafting materials iirc.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Last Celebration posted:

That’s probably the “intended” thing, really tough late/postgame enemies generally drop the good crafting materials iirc.

Nothing drops Mithril until the second disc (dudes in the Fields of Love and Intelligence and that weird explody goggly boss in the LARPtown weapon quest). By then you've probably gotten the resources to make your own, funnily enough.

(I played waaay too much SO2 back in the day)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Anyway speaking of Star Ocean 2 r, the opening animation dropped and it's really bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVRv7HTc-9M

they dont even preserve how claude's shirt looks like a trashbag smh.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gonna be frank: did not expect The Archivist to end up joining the party.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ashton (and noel, but no one cares about him) are missing, which is very odd. some of those other characters were mutually exclusive, too.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ashton and Noel are there, Ashton is up on the cliff with Celine and Chisato, and Noel is sitting beneath Welch. It is kind of weird because both EX and the PSP openings treat Ashton as one of the major characters and here he gets less face time than, Noel and Welch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh yeah. not sure how i missed them, especially since i paused the video and specifically went looking for them. senility, i suppose.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
spicule

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh yeah. not sure how i missed them, especially since i paused the video and specifically went looking for them. senility, i suppose.

He's also in there at 0:24 or so, it's just hard to tell because it's pre-shoulder dragons Ashton.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Barrel

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

at some point I'll get back to Octopath 2 but I lost interest in the character stories without meaningful gameplay in or between them. unless there's cool stuff I haven't run into I don't know why it couldn't just be a vn

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
octo2 was dragging on me until i started using a cheat table with a random battle toggle. those should have become a standard after bravely default did it.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Barrel barrel

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright now that i have access to the sea maybe this game will actually open up and let me explore a little bit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it unfortunately didn't let me explore a lot as the world map's pretty small and several locations are flight-only

ok I have one more complaint about Sea of Stars which is still currently #6 in my 2023 top list but for real: no status effects or buff/debuffs in this game at all? the combat is getting too repetitive (i'm at Torment Peak now)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

it unfortunately didn't let me explore a lot as the world map's pretty small and several locations are flight-only

ok I have one more complaint about Sea of Stars which is still currently #6 in my 2023 top list but for real: no status effects or buff/debuffs in this game at all? the combat is getting too repetitive (i'm at Torment Peak now)
I recall there being something in the way of status stuff in the demo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm near the home stretch of the game and there ain't any status effects, it's just how it is

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rune Factory 3 Special is dropping tomorrow if you're looking for a good RPG/Farm-sim.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sea of Stars spoilers: THEY KILLED GARL AND MADE ME FEEL THINGS DAMMIT

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

perhaps i could interest you in a little game called golden sun dark dawn

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

drat, I gotta look into getting the Golden Sun games again, I think they're supposed to be coming to Switch?

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
the first GBA game at least will be on the gba emulator at some point, but I hadn't heard anything about a dark dawn port. and I don't know if lost age is being added or just the first 1. but this was from the original anouncement of the gba emulator being added

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if they put GS 1 on switch without releasing 2 at the same time they're bigger trolls than i thought lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Should I be grinding in Sea of Stars? I've just hit lvl 10, and even with hitting the defensive timings there are these birds in the jungle path that hit me for ~62-68 HP which is 2/3rds my total health. Up until now I've been able to puzzle-out and stop big attacks but I've no idea how to stop both birds when they have 2 turns and one requires sword/sword/moon/moon/moon/ and the other is sword/sword/pois/pois/pois.