Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jen X posted:

It's a matter of player expectations, given class narrative, class feature flavor, and worldbuilding, not narrative prominence or control. The tension comes from the fact that a lower-level martial character doing something impossible has a greater player perception barrier to overcome than a caster doing so, so the caster feels capable of things the martial isn't while a caster can in theory (though obviously not in practice) do the mundane things the martial does too.

In this game Monks can go super saiyan and fighters can swing a sword so precisely it cuts space and time and folds space around the slice, shortening the world and bringing the target to them.

But also this is just a dumb take in general because "Rogue just stabs a guy any wizard could do that" is both pathetically poor imagination and ignoring what they're actually doing. It's like watching John wick and thinking "Yeah I could do that poo poo easily no big deal".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When there's no magic involved, Pathfinder follows the laws of physics right until they're broken by a far more important one: the rule of cool.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’d forgotten that Pathfinder’s math is so tight that one of Fighter’s capstone feats, up there with cleaving spacetime or becoming permanently quickened, is critting on a 19. (But only if you would have hit anyway.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blastron posted:

I’d forgotten that Pathfinder’s math is so tight that one of Fighter’s capstone feats, up there with cleaving spacetime or becoming permanently quickened, is critting on a 19. (But only if you would have hit anyway.)

Eh, that one's only 18th level, which competes with "literally slash a spell out of the air" or "fire a volley of arrows that hits everyone in a 20 foot circle". :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But also this is just a dumb take in general because "Rogue just stabs a guy any wizard could do that" is both pathetically poor imagination and ignoring what they're actually doing. It's like watching John wick and thinking "Yeah I could do that poo poo easily no big deal".
I take it as a sign of how good PF2e's mechanics are that we don't need to wonder how/why to make martials as mechanically strong as casters and instead get to quibble over thematic flavor

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Clerical Terrors posted:

Is this really a Pathfinder specific issue? I feel like this is something you run into very fast in any setting where some people just swing swords around while others speak in tongues and shoot lightning from their fingertips. Hell I think I've heard this same discussion before with regards to Force users vs. everyone else in Star Wars (although lbf, Star Wars is basically Space Fantasy anyways)

Not at all, it’s an issue in all D&D derivatives

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

In this game Monks can go super saiyan and fighters can swing a sword so precisely it cuts space and time and folds space around the slice, shortening the world and bringing the target to them.

Yes, if you ignore the multiple times I’ve noted that I’m talking about the level ranges before all of that it sure does look dumb, as does this post deciding that the response is to delve into minutiae and not at all address the actual point. One set of characters have the burden of expected mundane function via real life physics and the other set does not, which leads to an awkward tension where “but that makes no sense!” is a reflexive sentiment for the mundane characters doing non-mundane things. This is compounded by the vast majority of the cool crazy stuff being higher level while casters are supernatural from day one.

Also I forgot monks existed tbh

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
A lot of "martials" are also supernatural from day one, though (Champions, Thaumaturges, most Barbarian subclasses), or at least have gonzo concepts in a non-supernatural way (Inventors, Investigators). The "regular guy who swings a sword" vibe is mostly just a Fighter thing.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Jen X posted:

One set of characters have the burden of expected mundane function via real life physics and the other set does not,

I'm not sure I agree - by level 8 Sudden Leap is a thing. With Master Athletics, 18 Str, and a +1 item, you can expect jumping 20-30 feet in the air nonmagically to be a thing, which is pretty outside of real life physics.

Incidentally, the Olympic record is ~8 feet.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 4, 2023

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Silver2195 posted:

A lot of "martials" are also supernatural from day one, though (Champions, Thaumaturges, most Barbarian subclasses), or at least have gonzo concepts in a non-supernatural way (Inventors, Investigators). The "regular guy who swings a sword" vibe is mostly just a Fighter thing.

Eh, it’s also true of rogues, rangers (with like 3 feat exceptions), and swashbucklers, but you’re right that PF2 isn’t really rife with lots of “guy who just uses sword/dagger/bow good” classes.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Cyouni posted:

I'm not sure I agree - by level 8 Sudden Leap is a thing. With Master Athletics, 18 Str, and a +1 item, you can expect jumping 20-30 feet in the air nonmagically to be a thing, which is pretty outside of real life physics.

Incidentally, the Olympic record is ~8 feet.

Mastery in a skill makes you Jump Good. big fuckin wow

meanwhile by level 8 the sorcerer can... gently caress it, you fill in the blank

Sincere question: how often are peoples' characters using Big Jumps in games? I understand that you can use Quick Jump as a way to bypass difficult terrain, thus making it actually useful in combat, but how often are people doing super jumps to ascend tall buildings or some poo poo?

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 4, 2023

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The point was that even martials are exhibiting superhuman capabilities. Tripling the current "best athlete in the loving world"-level high jump is pretty supernatural to me, but then again I'm not the sort of boring-rear end grog that gets mad at martials doing cool poo poo, so :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Sincere question: how often are peoples' characters using Big Jumps in games? I understand that you can use Quick Jump as a way to bypass difficult terrain, thus making it actually useful in combat, but how often are people doing super jumps to ascend tall buildings or some poo poo?

Jumping is very strong before you start getting flight capabilities (and often good after too since it doesn't take resources or actions) so it gets a lot of use in my games.

You can accomplish a lot of poo poo with liberal use of climbing and strong jump capabilities.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

The point was that even martials are exhibiting superhuman capabilities. Tripling the current "best athlete in the loving world"-level high jump is pretty supernatural to me, but then again I'm not the sort of boring-rear end grog that gets mad at martials doing cool poo poo, so :shrug:

Yes, I realize that. I also recognize that jumps real good is a pretty pathetic example of being superhuman when we are comparing to characters who can literally fly and conjure exploding balls of fire from their hands. It's a 'technically correct' argument that misses the entire point.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

I wish all martials did even cooler impossible poo poo sooner tbh

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Yes, I realize that. I also recognize that jumps real good is a pretty pathetic example of being superhuman when we are comparing to characters who can literally fly and conjure exploding balls of fire from their hands. It's a 'technically correct' argument that misses the entire point.

idk if i saw someone leap 50 feet and bisect someone in a couple of seconds i'd they were pretty awesome

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jen X posted:

Still, tell it to the flavor writers who did a hell of different job with spells (their flavor is commonly far more impressive sounding than their effects) and even some caster feats vs. lower level martial class features which are commonly "you're skilled at this mundane talent, and can now do a new thing".

I think Paizo did a great job of mechanical balancing and a worse job of flavor balancing, insofar as the goal is to make everyone seem roughly equivalently capable across the board without looking at numbers,

That seems really subjective. The low level feats for Bard and Wizard don't sound terribly impressive at all. Bard feats are mostly "you learn one more song, good job skippy" and wizard's are poo poo nobody else cares about like Eschew Materials which lets you throw away your component pouch, or meta magics that make your spells slightly better.

Meanwhile the Inventor is over there with low level feats like Explosive Leap and Megaton Strike that sound loving sick. Even the fighter has plenty of crazy poo poo. If that is your fantasy stuff like Aggressive Block and Brutish Shove sound amazing. The thrown weapon feats are all feats of physics so sick they are basically magic.

quote:

Rebounding Toss

FighterFlourish
Requirements You are wielding a thrown weapon.
You bounce your weapon off one foe to strike another. Make a ranged Strike with a thrown weapon. If this Strike hits, the weapon rebounds toward an enemy within 10 feet of the original target. Make an additional Strike against this second target. Both attacks count toward your multiple attack penalty, but the penalty doesn't increase until after you've made both attacks.

Whaaaat? That's crazy. Flat out crazy. Mechanically it isn't that special, there are lots of similar abilities that help reduce multi attack penalties, but the flavor is crazy and that's definitely not something just anyone can do. That easily represents years of expertise. Crazy poo poo at level 2.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what are some good early level things a fighter could do to give it the same narrative weight as a wizard? maybe a feat or something like:

Truth of Combat: Fighting someone gives you more insight into their character than a library's worth of books. Anyone you've dealt damage to in combat, or that has dealt damage to you, automatically fails on any attempt to deceive you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Andrast posted:

idk if i saw someone leap 50 feet and bisect someone in a couple of seconds i'd they were pretty awesome

Absolutely. Superman started as a guy "“Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!” Later he leveled up to flying and shooting eyebeams, but he started out as just a strongman.

The Flash runs real good. Black Widow, Green Arrow, and Hawkeye are just super good at fighting. The Incredible Hulk is a just a super smart guy who turns into a super strong guy, who has very stretchy pants and can't be permanently killed. In most stories Thor is merely a super good fighter who has a magic weapon. Loki is a cool caster dude, but is he really more cool than Hulk or Thor?

Fighters start off as low-tier Superheros and quickly level into mid-tier superheros.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Impermanent posted:

what are some good early level things a fighter could do to give it the same narrative weight as a wizard? maybe a feat or something like:

Truth of Combat: Fighting someone gives you more insight into their character than a library's worth of books. Anyone you've dealt damage to in combat, or that has dealt damage to you, automatically fails on any attempt to deceive you.

This strikes me as kind of useless, unless you rules-lawyer it in a silly way. Aside from Feinting in combat, attempts use Deception against someone you're already engaged in combat with are pretty rare.

Edit: Unless it applies to illusion effects as well as Deception checks? That could be handy, if situational.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Rebounding Toss

Real Daredevil vibes there

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

if you want a supernatural fighter those things exist, go play a champion, or an inventor, or a barbarian, or monk, or pick up a dedication, or whatever, there's a bunch of options. fighters own. this feels like a gripe that is being imported from 5e or something. please don't try to ruin the fighter by making them just a stronger version of other preexisting options and instead see that they are actually extremely cool and good and use the pretty substantial tools that are already there.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

meanwhile by level 8 the sorcerer can... gently caress it, you fill in the blank

Yes, the sorcerer can fly for 4 minutes per day. Or they can teleport themselves to a spot they get see up to 4 times, 120 feet.

Note that Superhuman Jumps For 1 Minute is a 3rd level spell, meaning the sorcerer can do that for 8 minutes.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

This strikes me as kind of useless, unless you rules-lawyer it in a silly way. Aside from Feinting in combat, attempts use Deception against someone you're already engaged in combat with are pretty rare.

Edit: Unless it applies to illusion effects as well as Deception checks? That could be handy, if situational.

i guess i was thinking more of it as a way for the fighter to gain intel post-combat, to allow it to compete with some of the other ways the magic characters have for gaining knowledge about the situations they're in

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Jon posted:

Real Daredevil vibes there

Bring out the Meteor Shield or Razor Disc from Treasure Vault and that'll fit Captain America too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Impermanent posted:

i guess i was thinking more of it as a way for the fighter to gain intel post-combat, to allow it to compete with some of the other ways the magic characters have for gaining knowledge about the situations they're in

Oh, you mean taking prisoners and asking them questions? Yeah, that seems potentially powerful, actually.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Impermanent posted:

One of the advantages of fighters is that they can go all in on strength to be good in combat. Con is nice, but that's true for everyone. There's not much point in a beefy boi going for more than a point or two of Dex. Which means without sacrificing combat effectiveness he can easily start with a +3 in Wis, Int or Cha.

Wisdom: his expertise in perception means he starts with a +8 to Sense Motive checks. He can choose to invest in Religion and Nature for Recall Knowledge checks. And be a top notch field medic to boot.

Intelligence: he starts with at least 9 trained skills and 4 languages, and is a hella smart guy with a great shot at a bunch of Recall Knowledge checks. Incredibly well read guy.

Charisma: He's a born leader. Str + Cha = Superman. Around any kind of people he can Gather Information, make them friendly enough for a Request, Impersonate and Lie, or just Coerce the information out of them. And they won't be mad when the spell wears off because there was no spell, he's just hella charming. Nobody on his team will bother learning the Fear spell when he can just Demoralize every enemy they meet all day long for free. Charisma skills are crazy powerful.

TL;DR: Being a big dumb fighter who is only good at fighting is a choice.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Andrast posted:

You can accomplish a lot of poo poo with liberal use of climbing and strong jump capabilities.

Could you give some examples? I want some inspiration here

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Part of the problem of "what abilities could a Fighter have to shape the narrative like a Wizard can" is that the concept of the Fighter has always been overly broad in the first place. If you extrapolate more meaning from the class's features within the mechanics of the game then it becomes more accurate to refer to 'Fighters' as veteran soldiers/gladiators/etc, which are a little easier to design fitting abilities for without feeling like you're veering more into Barbarian or Rogue territory.

Fighters don't get to be the expert veterans who can quick-draw flint between blows against a troll or demand to see a grunt's superior in the chain of command as class features though, because the class has been pigeon-holed hard into "swings sword very good". Even then it's largely relegated to just hit/damage bonuses, where are the feats that let you vault-jump with polearms/spears, grapnel-and-swing with flail weapons, or smash through walls like the Kool-Aid man with hammers? Oh right, that first one is actually in a non-Fighter archetype.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's funny how many people are surprised by the soap in the adventurer's pack. With the beginner's box all 4 pregens start with soap. Why have I got soap?!?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's funny how many people are surprised by the soap in the adventurer's pack. With the beginner's box all 4 pregens start with soap. Why have I got soap?!?

It's a subtle reminder to nerds that they should take hygiene seriously.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

need to make a copy of that key somehow

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

3 Action Economist posted:

It's a subtle reminder to nerds that they should take hygiene seriously.

it's a reminder of how fighters have little narrative control and few narrative hooks, of how they are forced to clean their clothes by hand unlike the perfidious wizard who can simply do it with a wave of their hand

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Now I find myself wondering if prestidigitation cleaning is seen as the best cleaning, or if it's the opposite and there's a social stigma if you're a weirdo who never actually uses real soap.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It's probably the most efficient... eventually. That's after years of magic university and getting your doctorate so that you can do that.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The big question is why more wizards aren't just chilling in a big city running a laundromat

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The soap is for the adventurer, not their clothes. Prestidigitation doesn't work on creatures.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Jen X posted:

I wish all martials did even cooler impossible poo poo sooner tbh

Personally I found our AV Fighter using sudden charge and smashing the ever-unliving poo poo out of a bunch of ghouls at level 3 to be extremely cool, even if he didn't have to bend the laws of the universe to do so.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Archetypes fix the issue anyway. If you want a gritty fighter that's just good at fighting, use your feats to just be better at that. If you want sword lasers, time clones, mind swords or just straight up casting (mostly utility) spells, grab an archetype. Even if you "waste" a few feats you'll still be pretty lethal in combat.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

Could you give some examples? I want some inspiration here

Last session the barbarian in our Abomination Vault group (early spoilers) jumped and grabbed the river drake under the dock house in the early game, this kept it from flying and he grappled it down to the water. Our rogue basically treats every grid as a 3d space and always climbs when she can to shoot down her bow on people. I treat hanging from a ledge as greater cover for stealth purposes as long as the enemy isn't looking up at the person hanging.

I let the barbarian with rapid mantel and quick jump to do a standing jump and pull himself up on a ledge in one action and reaction. He uses corpses as improvised weapons and throws them at other enemies for ranged weapons, if he positions to get above the enemy, I give him a bonus to damage because of gravity and to encourage him to keep using the environment.

More mundane stuff is just like jumping over a whole room of traps because you can avoid the trip wires. Climbing is going to be best in a dungeon where there are a lot of walls to work with, but with good climbing you can usually find other ways down levels such as wells.

Physical skills rely on the environment so much more than magical skills, so they do require a game that has a useable environment and a GM that's willing to let you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
yeah while i'm enjoying running abomination vaults and my group is having a blast it's definitely not great dungeon design. feels like a lot of square, small rooms with low ceilings and not a ton of fun terrain or features to work with. i dunno, we're about to start level 4, maybe stuff will pick up a bit.