Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
just reading about starfield is exhausting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RadiRoot posted:

is starfield worth playing? should i wait?

the answer is always stay gaming.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Turtle Sandbox posted:

DOS2 just respects you to go all in on ignoring one of the health bars the entire game. You really have to go all in on magic or physical damage.

Which caught me off guard my first playthrough because I'm so used to dude with sword and wizard being in a team.

even the DOS2 min-maxers say act 1 is too hard without pre-emptively knowing exactly what to do before every battle, then the game goes into AOE faceroll mode after level 16

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I've pinpointed the United Colonies/New Atlantic aesthetic: TNG shore leave chic

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Turtle Sandbox posted:

DOS2 just respects you to go all in on ignoring one of the health bars the entire game. You really have to go all in on magic or physical damage.

Which caught me off guard my first playthrough because I'm so used to dude with sword and wizard being in a team.

idk I didn't do this and I was fine but I'm playing on normal mode, not tactician

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Stefan Prodan posted:

idk I didn't do this and I was fine but I'm playing on normal mode, not tactician

Also irrc theres a lot of enemies who are weak on one bar and very strong on the other, so it always seemed to me that having 2 main physical attackers and 2 main magical was the safest route

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

evilmiera posted:

It's taken quite a while but I am starting to see the potential of Starfield for real. I'm gobsmacked that the first few hours are this bad, but it is finally starting to seem like a proper game.

they listened to the fans and gave a slow burn start. They will never do that again lol.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

they listened to the fans and gave a slow burn start. They will never do that again lol.

I'm not sure what people's complaints are there as both the main story quest and UC Vanguard quest line throw you into a variety of situations immediately in a wide range of environments against a wide range of enemy types with a solid mystery and adventure in the former and high stakes in the latter.

My only frustration is that when in the UC quest you go down to the basement of the Capitol/Pentagon to meet with the war criminal mastermind of the last war, after already working with his clone, and the revelation that that government faked his death, which I think was foreshadowed pretty heavily from when his clone was revealed if not the UC museum, there's no dialogue option to reply to him asking if you know who he is with "yes". Both because of the foreshadowing but also because he's one of the most famous men in the galaxy, you already know his clone, you were reminded of him at the museum, it's beaten into your head over and over again that this is the executed hero/villain of the last war, and the closest you can get, if you have the Born in UC trait, is "did I see you in a movie somewhere?"

At least reward the player for having basic common sense / a memory of the thing beaten into their head for the past two hours. Also, I don't know if Bethesda thinks their audience eats rocks, but obviously the character's name should be Brennus, not Vae Victus which makes no sense as a personal (nick)name.

Someone at Bethesda apparently thinks Vae works as a name, when it's an interjection. "οὐαί, an exclamation of pain or dread".

You wouldn't call your villain Ouch Thathurts.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Sep 4, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RadiRoot posted:

it's a huge game and is way less janky than previous Bethesda titles, I'm having loads of fun

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

RadiRoot posted:

modding can't fix the main story, and you are heavy incentivised to complete it at least once

for example I just had a major story revelation, combined with an actual twist in a party members narrative!

AND IT SUCKS SO BAD

to quote David Warner from bg2:

YOU WILL SUFFER, YOU WILL ALL SUFFER!!!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
spending the next decade modding this into the Anathem spin-off that it could have, should have been

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Starfield sounding like a JRPG with the "it really opens up around 15 hours in" excuse

can you fish in it?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1698735744854933691

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

its funny how long it takes for starfield to get good considering the actual story is moving at mach 3

you're the chosen one in like 10 minutes

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

what, you're all playing early access? just looked on steam at how much im not going to spend on starfield. pfeh!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think a slower start, with more time as a space trucker/miner, or at least one full mission to get to know people, would have been nice.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The pirate faction quest seems fun so far. Kinda looking forward to seeing how it ends, I'm expecting a real Al Capone's vault situation

bitmap posted:

what, you're all playing early access? just looked on steam at how much im not going to spend on starfield. pfeh!

Gamepass for cucks, Fitgirl for Alphas

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bitmap posted:

any game (sans a few denuvo bullshit outliers) has been available free on google for the last 20 or so years grandpa
e;fb

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Zokari posted:

its funny how long it takes for starfield to get good considering the actual story is moving at mach 3

you're the chosen one in like 10 minutes

no, you are just a big tuning fork.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

does anyone else feel like they really clamped down hard on stealth builds, because its very tricky to actually get the drop on people now because of the tight spacing in ships/space stations. On planets, you can obviously get a good shot off with a long rifle, but the second you peek around a corner anywhere else, enemies will spot you and alert all 20 of their buddies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RadiRoot posted:

If you could somehow find a savefile after like 10 hours of playtime you should be in for a good time. It really drags its feet before it gets good.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Truga posted:

any game (sans a few denuvo bullshit outliers) has been available free on google for the last 20 or so years grandpa
e;fb

DaysBefore posted:

Gamepass for cucks, Fitgirl for Alphas

but what if I were to PIRATE starfield and disguise it as my own purchase?? oh ho ho...delightfully devilish, bitmap

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Whirling posted:

does anyone else feel like they really clamped down hard on stealth builds, because its very tricky to actually get the drop on people now because of the tight spacing in ships/space stations. On planets, you can obviously get a good shot off with a long rifle, but the second you peek around a corner anywhere else, enemies will spot you and alert all 20 of their buddies.

I can't get stealth to work at all except with Chameleon items. Suppressors don't seem to work, crouching doesn't seem to work, cover, shadows, moving slowly.

I've given up on it basically entirely.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
in starfield junk is completely useless except as decoration for your base and the game reminds you of this constantly so ive managed to screen out most junk items mentally, except duct tape. in all of the fallouts, particularly new vegas, duct tape is one of the most precious resources so im trained to grab the little round circles wherever i find them

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
it’s kind of refreshing not being able to scrap anything. there’s never any doubt as to whether you should scrap or sell anything, everything must go

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

also don't think I'll ever take surveying quests again, they're quite tedious (especially if you land on a planet with flora/fauna).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al! posted:

in starfield junk is completely useless except as decoration for your base and the game reminds you of this constantly so ive managed to screen out most junk items mentally, except duct tape. in all of the fallouts, particularly new vegas, duct tape is one of the most precious resources so im trained to grab the little round circles wherever i find them

Well as I said, I don't know how you're supposed to actually decorate by hand because I can't imagine anything more annoying and uncomfortable, given the tools provided.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I can't get enough of this disney villain song when fighting raphael

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

By gawd, there's a golden toilet attached to a CEO's office in Starfield. I know this isn't the Trump thread but I had to let everyone know.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

it's a huge game and is way less janky than previous Bethesda titles, I'm having loads of fun

thanks, good to know i was worried about that.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

modding can't fix the main story, and you are heavy incentivised to complete it at least once

for example I just had a major story revelation, combined with an actual twist in a party members narrative!

AND IT SUCKS SO BAD

to quote David Warner from bg2:

YOU WILL SUFFER, YOU WILL ALL SUFFER!!!

i think i can live with a game story being lovely. as long as it doesnt end like mass effect 3.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Sep 4, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I cant believe the terrabrew kiosk opens a whole rear end menu to select a coffee instead of being interactive in the game, incredible menu use really

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
my personal and ship inventories are both full of resources that I can’t use to craft anything that I’m aware of and which are essentially worthless

I have filled my pockets with dirt

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

cracking up at this poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMo7ugWudCA

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bg3 with its hundreds of tiny items you need to mouse over to know what they are trained me to suffer inventory woes.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

bg3 with its hundreds of tiny items you need to mouse over to know what they are trained me to suffer inventory woes.

Press... Alt I think and it shows names of stuff around you. Maybe tab, or perhaps shift. Can't remember but it's an invaluable button

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Never watched firefly so the space cowboys remind me a ton of the Terrans in Starcraft 1. They even have zerglings running around and they have to hide in bunkers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

Press... Alt I think and it shows names of stuff around you. Maybe tab, or perhaps shift. Can't remember but it's an invaluable button

in inventory?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh thought you meant in the game world lol

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

Whirling posted:

and if you do manage to drop a few of them and stay in/return to hiding, the ones still alive tend to cower together in the same corner and stop patrolling, so you have to nade them or turn the corner and facetank a bunch of shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there are filters, and also categories in the filters