Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
The tail end of Aneheim's designs is a rollercoaster. Now I really hope the next Build- series gives the Draig a makeover and HG that thing looks sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

uninterrupted posted:

The tail end of Aneheim's designs is a rollercoaster. Now I really hope the next Build- series gives the Draig a makeover and HG that thing looks sick.

I'd love to see an Alternate UC where it got adopted and the designers had to GMify or Gundamify it to be acceptable to the higher brass in the federation

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's kind of funny to characterize SNRI as an attempt to shed reliance on spacenoids because it is later a branch of SNRI that forms the basis of BESPA's design team. Plus SNRI has no qualms where they operate from. It's mostly to have a a design team that operates under the flag of the Earth Federation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I enjoyed the chaos of the attack on Davao and that the majority of it took place from the perspective of people not in mobile suits so its a lot of chaos and glimpses of gigantic suits and peoples homes and lives being blown up.

the gundam dogfight I couldnt make a drat thing out tho hahah.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

the gundam dogfight I couldnt make a drat thing out tho hahah.

Dogfight was rough, I think because there were a lot of quick twists and turns from complicated mobile suits that look really similar.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Most of that dogfight the Gundams are shooting at something not even visibly on screen, even before taking into account the darkness filter all the movies action scenes are inflicted with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This movie length model kit ad is bad at showing off the models!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not that much of a flaw considering the designs in Hathaway are hideous

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I could use some help with finding something: what's the most jank-assed, kitbashed-looking mobile suit in Gundam? I remember once hearing about one, I think in Crossbone, that was so jacked-up and poorly repaired that it had a torso for a leg, but hell if I can find that in my own searching.

I'm joining a friend's Lancer game with a character concept of essentially 'built this in a scrapyard, and it looks it, but it's still scary', so I want a visual refernece to get that across. Currently my best angle is to use the hosed up Exia from the start of 00 season 2.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I really can't disagree, though I have a soft spot for the Messer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So I could use some help with finding something: what's the most jank-assed, kitbashed-looking mobile suit in Gundam? I remember once hearing about one, I think in Crossbone, that was so jacked-up and poorly repaired that it had a torso for a leg, but hell if I can find that in my own searching.

I'm joining a friend's Lancer game with a character concept of essentially 'built this in a scrapyard, and it looks it, but it's still scary', so I want a visual refernece to get that across. Currently my best angle is to use the hosed up Exia from the start of 00 season 2.

Gump

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Oh gently caress yeah, that's the dude, thanks. Wish there were more good pictures of him, but technically speaking I only need one.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Cleretic posted:

Oh gently caress yeah, that's the dude, thanks. Wish there were more good pictures of him, but technically speaking I only need one.

Also it's the Double Zeta behind all the added and replaced parts, but if you want kitbashed stuff some of the Space Warring States Era stuff from crossbone dust are visibly made from pieces of old MS, usually arranged artistically.

uninterrupted posted:

...Kinda want to make a joke about "A Heavygun dressed in Draig" but it won't quite assemble as a coherent joke.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It still weirds me out that the Gump's official colour scheme is a uniform blue-grey which really just kind of kills the patchwork look it has going for it.

Cleretic posted:

If you're still looking into the Exia though, there's also the Amazing Exia from Build Fighters which, at one point, also gets hosed up and patched together with parts from another kit. Still doesn't look very scrapyard though, sadly.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nuebot posted:

If you're still looking into the Exia though, there's also the Amazing Exia from Build Fighters which, at one point, also gets hosed up and patched together with parts from another kit. Still doesn't look very scrapyard though, sadly.

That's just a reference to the Exia Repair which is much more of a scrapyard suit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nuebot posted:

It still weirds me out that the Gump's official colour scheme is a uniform blue-grey which really just kind of kills the patchwork look it has going for it.

I think the thought process might be that it obscures the dramatic 'oh poo poo it's the ZZ' reveal; if you see that it's got bits of that iconic Gundam color scheme then you're mentally expecting it to be some kind of Gundam, but it being a shade of blue that it shares with nothing of tremendous note means that it's a surprise when it is, in fact, something of tremendous note.

It's logic that only really makes sense if it first appeared in color in a version of that particular manga, though, which I can't quite confirm. I think so?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

The Xi might be wearing a giant Gundam V Fin for its chest and the Penelope might be a normal gundam cosplaying as a chicken dragon but the Messer looks good, the Jegan with a crotch Machine Gun is fine and the movie version of the Gustav Karl looks way better than the one from Unicorn.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

it looks a little scrapyard

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Geze is a literal scrapyard mech.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Xi and Penelope are peak design, too many coward designers don't want to make chunky boys.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chonk good, pointy bad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Chonk good, pointy bad

there is a compromise

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pointy is also good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

there is a compromise

Lol at his little yellow shirt collar.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

too many coward designers don't want to make chunky boys.

yes i agree

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Xi and Penelope are peak design,

absolutely not

Gripweed posted:

there is a compromise

this one always just looks silly to me

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Pointy is also good

what is this

Gaius Marius posted:

Chonk good, pointy bad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's Zeorymer

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

what is this

Zeorymer, another design from the king Yasuhiro Moriki.

Though if I am being honest, it is a split between him and Kenki Fujioka's AoZ stuff for peak for me.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 4, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Do not talk to me or my Messer ever again.

Gripweed posted:

there is a compromise

No.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i did quite like the non-gundam designs in hathaway

god drat are the xi and penelope an eyesore though. i guess i have to admire the sheer chutzpa it takes to move forward on animating those designs with no alterations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I remember people were spitballing that the Xi/Penelope both being such gigantic slabs of iron was part of the reason they took so long to animate Hathaway. And while I'm sure that wasn't really it I also imagine someone, somewhere in Bandai/Sunrise was bringing that up at whatever planning meetings they do.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

The Messer is peak post-zeon design, like a stg-44 being turned into an AK.

Gustav Karls being terrifying from the ground are also neat, and do a good job of showing the Federation as an oppressive force

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus they've got the best theme music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZfnLL61ek

Argas posted:

It's kind of funny to characterize SNRI as an attempt to shed reliance on spacenoids because it is later a branch of SNRI that forms the basis of BESPA's design team. Plus SNRI has no qualms where they operate from. It's mostly to have a a design team that operates under the flag of the Earth Federation.

Maybe I should have rephrased that as less reliance on Anaheim specifically. In-house development has its advantages when your primary supplier has a track record of two-timing with your enemies.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 4, 2023

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ninjewtsu posted:

i did quite like the non-gundam designs in hathaway

god drat are the xi and penelope an eyesore though. i guess i have to admire the sheer chutzpa it takes to move forward on animating those designs with no alterations.

The designs kind of work in terms of getting across "this is a machine that operates on a whole different level from normal mobile suits". But yes, they are also incredibly ugly. Big stupid pauldrons and gigantic feet, it'll probably be a bigger issue in the next movie, where they'll have more screentime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When designing the Xi the first question was "so... you like triangles?"

The Penelope is a mess that really only looks good when it has its shields up in flight mode where it reminds me of the Kshatriya bell pepper but with a tail trailing it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ninjewtsu posted:

yes i agree

absolutely not

this one always just looks silly to me

what is this

the titular robot from Hades Project Zeorymer, the original manga is edgy and terrible but the 1988 OVA adaptation while flawed is pretty and has a good soundtrack;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuwn2ct8Ny0

also Zeorymer might be one of the most busted super robots to have ever been made, like the two or three times its shown up in a Super Robot Wars game it always ends up being one of the strongest robots you can get

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Gripweed posted:

there is a compromise

This is worse than anything in Hathaway

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

When designing the Xi the first question was "so... you like triangles?"

The Penelope is a mess that really only looks good when it has its shields up in flight mode where it reminds me of the Kshatriya bell pepper but with a tail trailing it.

My only real issue with the Penelope is the loving goose head.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
People who hate on the Providence just have bad taste, though admittedly that stock art does make it look more chunky than it usually is shown to be

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Providence is cool, Xi and Penelope are both awful. Messer is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

drrockso20 posted:

People who hate on the Providence just have bad taste, though admittedly that stock art does make it look more chunky than it usually is shown to be
That goes for most SEED designs, the (modern/MG) model kit versions of them look pretty cool.