Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

The goon bike Slack was kicking around the idea of designing a custom headtube badge for the REI Coop e1.1/1.2 bikes. There must be 5-6 purchases, getting into Soma Wolverine territory.
Would be a snap to print with Redbubble or the like.

Ok, i forgot which thread i started this convo. Quoting from the bike thread:

kimbo305 posted:

REI ebike crew, some good news and bad news --

Good news is a design I commissioned is ready and getting approved/published to RedBubble as we speak.

Bad news is I got down to the nitty gritty of putting the sticker on the default location, and i realized the expected spot on the head tube is occupied by a raised decal:

as well as the rack structure on the e1.2:

You'd have to be all in to want to pry off the existing badge. And i dunno that it'd be worth it if you had the rack.

The sticker dimensions will be 2.5" x 4", the smallest RB sticker. I scale this down more by tweaking the image file, but I think it would be big without insane wraparound.

A proposed alternate location -- the wide open span of the seat tube:

And of course, there's no limitation to where you put the sticker as long as it's a smooth flattish surface.

This is what a 2.5 x 3.5 transparent RB decal looks like on a head tube:

2.5" is the limiting dimension, which is why it's only 3.5" high. I tilted it at a jaunty angle.
The wide part of the head tube is 2.25", which I'm told is what the e1.1/2 have. And I think the seat tube is effectively broader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Is the REI 1.1 ebike a good value? Is the battery easily sourced and replaceable?

How mad would my semi local bike shop be at me if I wanted them to wrench on it?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for an ebike for BuRnInG mAn. If you're not super familiar, it's a giant desert art party and everybody only gets around via foot power, bike, or giant weird art car that has to be preapproved (i.e. you can't just tool around in a sedan, it has to be like a pac-man ghost or fire octopus). The ground there is flat but gets really rutted and covered in the shittiest alkaline clay dust, so I'm looking for something with fat wheels and not a lot of finicky parts. I don't need speed (technically the event-wide speed limit is 5 MPH), just reliability and also the ability to plug in to battery power for accessories. Price-wise, I'm looking on the cheaper end, $1000-$1300 ideally. Thanks!

Updates pls

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Is the REI 1.1 ebike a good value? Is the battery easily sourced and replaceable?

How mad would my semi local bike shop be at me if I wanted them to wrench on it?

It was amazing value at $800. Still great value at $900 on current sale.
Normal price of 1500 -- probably still comparable value to a Rad.

The non-electric parts are fairly standard, so except for the weight, shouldn't be a headache to work on. Many shops have lifts now because of ebikes.
Electric stuff, I'd probably bring to REI.

I spy a HL sticker on the battery in e1.1 pictures on REI's site, so guessing it's this battery:
https://www.amazon.com/Hailong-Ebike-Battery-20AH-17AH/dp/B08H8JYJYF?th=1

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 4, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ok yall, back to ebike headtube badge project. I commissioned this with the artist Hex Aunzo, who has a style I really vibe with.
I went with the Bearpope theme of the SA cycling jerseys, which I know some people think of as cycling-elitist. Well here's your chance to broaden the base:

Remarks:
- i thought the front rack of the e1.2 had a bit more visual appeal, so I asked for that as the reference
- that said, I thought it would be a waste not to have the design done in all 6 e1.1/1.2 colors: white, black, orange, yellow, green, blue. You can see all 6 here: https://imgur.com/a/Re5G2sK
- Hex assigned ownership of the art to me, and I grant yall free reign to print out / make copies / etc. If you want to redesign / modify it, please give credit to Hex.

So, if you want a head badge sticker, I'll offer 2 options:
1. print your own out on RedBubble here
I recommend going with the transparent sticker if you don't have a white bike. This is a decent preview of what it'll look like: https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/sa-bearpope-coop-e1-1-blue-by-mengmao/151363636.O9UDB
You can of course get bigger stickers or have it printed on other products.
e: I'm not sure if I make any profit off of a random person printing one of these stickers. Putting them on a store is the only option for making designs public on RedBubble, afaik.

2. group order with me. This will be cheaper since I can maximize any volume discount and save on shipping. Offer only valid if your mailing address in is the US!
So I'll collect everyone's orders (color, sticker type), place the order, and then mail them out individually in envelopes.
Cost to you will be cost of stickers + whatever a forever stamp costs these days.
DM me or reply to this post if you want a sticker.

This didn't seem to have too much interest, so I'll set a time window of 1 week to get your order in.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 4, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sick dude

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Ok yall, back to ebike headtube badge project. I commissioned this with the artist Hex Aunzo, who has a style I really vibe with.
I went with the Bearpope theme of the SA cycling jerseys, which I know some people think of as cycling-elitist. Well here's your chance to broaden the base:

How much was the commission because goddamn now I want the same bear on a bullitt

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Remarks:
- i thought the front rack of the e1.2 had a bit more visual appeal, so I asked for that as the reference
- that said, I thought it would be a waste not to have the design done in all 6 e1.1/1.2 colors: white, black, orange, yellow, green, blue. You can see all 6 here: https://imgur.com/a/Re5G2sK
- Hex assigned ownership of the art to me, and I grant yall free reign to print out / make copies / etc. If you want to redesign / modify it, please give credit to Hex.

So, if you want a head badge sticker, I'll offer 2 options:
1. print your own out on RedBubble here
I recommend going with the transparent sticker if you don't have a white bike. This is a decent preview of what it'll look like: https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/sa-bearpope-coop-e1-1-blue-by-mengmao/151363636.O9UDB
You can of course get bigger stickers or have it printed on other products.
e: I'm not sure if I make any profit off of a random person printing one of these stickers. Putting them on a store is the only option for making designs public on RedBubble, afaik.

2. group order with me. This will be cheaper since I can maximize any volume discount and save on shipping. Offer only valid if your mailing address in is the US!
So I'll collect everyone's orders (color, sticker type), place the order, and then mail them out individually in envelopes.
Cost to you will be cost of stickers + whatever a forever stamp costs these days.

This didn't seem to have too much interest, so I'll set a time window of 1 week to get your order in.

I’m in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

How much was the commission because goddamn now I want the same bear on a bullitt

$80. Turn around was just inside 2 weeks. If you tell them about the bear, maybe they could reuse it.

Ok, I'll start a spreadsheet. Just tell me which you want and how many. You'll eventually have to gimme a mailing address.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

3x of the green for me. Whatever the best option is for the sticker material - transparent?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
The rear rim on my fiance's Aventon Abound is bent and keeps breaking spokes. We're having a really hard time finding a compatible replacement, can anyone recommend one?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

The rear rim on my fiance's Aventon Abound is bent and keeps breaking spokes. We're having a really hard time finding a compatible replacement, can anyone recommend one?

Is it bent in a way that can't be fixed with a good truing and tensioning? If so, are you trying to replace the rim yourself?

I did a quick check and it looks a 36h 20" rim but don't see anything on the width.

If all else fails any decent shop should be able to source an appropriate rim and rebuild the wheel for you including cutting new spokes to length.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

whoops less than 100 miles on my REI Co-op ebike and I get a giant piece of glass in my rear tire, deflating it within seconds.

Wouldn't be surprised if I have to replace the tire, not just the tube. Sucks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if I have to replace the tire, not just the tube. Sucks.

That does suck, I'm sorry. Get a Slime tube, or put sealant in your tube if you can, and ride around with a CO2 inflator. I started doing that after picking up some debris in NYC. It's great hearing "Pfffffpffffpfffpfff" and knowing you can just hop off, remove any chunks, air up, and be on your way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

THere's legit no greater feeling than pulling some sharp debris outta your wheel and watching the tire seal right up.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

kimbo305 posted:

Count me in for 3. Transparent and small.

edit, wait, I have to choose color? Okay just 3 bright colors, blue/yellow/green are good.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 7, 2023

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Jabarto posted:

if the rim is bent enough, replacing spokes and retensioning it can get it to this weird place where it is true but some spokes are overtensioned and some are undertensioned, in comparison to spokes on a rim that is not bent. this makes for a weaker wheel and is probably why you keep breaking spokes.

you’ve got a rear hub motor it looks like, I see they sell replacement complete motor wheels for $190 (out of stock though).

to swap the current hub over, you’d need to get the specs on the rim so you can order the same rim, or you could get a different 36h 20” rim of appropriate width and find the measurements on the hub and order spokes of the appropriate lengths. either way, you’d have to swap everything over and build the wheel back up.

you can pay someone to do all that, but $190 for an easy wheel swap might not be a bad deal at all, especially if you can sell the old wheel to some motor nerd on craigslist or something.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

3x of the green for me. Whatever the best option is for the sticker material - transparent?

I think all the stickers have the same kind of adhesive, which is sticky but not that sticky, like it won't rip apart if you try to take it off.
But durable enough if you have a smooth surface to apply it to.

Last call for them, gonna order some time this week

kimbo305 posted:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Just finished the 1st charge on my new ebike I use for commuting. Got 55 miles and used the power-assist quite a bit, and within 1 or 2 miles of maximum advertised range. I assumed the max would be 'level 1 assist' but I was using 2/3/4/5 a fair amount too.

Overall I'm really pleased with that - can just charge once a week and have plenty of juice for if I'm feeling lazy !

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

kimbo305 posted:

I think all the stickers have the same kind of adhesive, which is sticky but not that sticky, like it won't rip apart if you try to take it off.

Ordered these on Redbubble, I love them! Ty for organizing

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

tildes posted:

Ordered these on Redbubble, I love them! Ty for organizing

Sweet. I saw the notification for it, and apparently the default margin is 20%. I'm happy to refund that if you want, while I figure out where to set the margin.
e: ok, I found it. I set the margin down to 5%, which works out to 11-14c depending on which sticker you get.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 11, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

kimbo305 posted:

Sweet. I saw the notification for it, and apparently the default margin is 20%. I'm happy to refund that if you want, while I figure out where to set the margin.
e: ok, I found it. I set the margin down to 5%, which works out to 11-14c depending on which sticker you get.

Don't worry about it! Would rather add zero more effort for you on top of everything you've already done :)

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

2x green here please!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This is awesome. Thank you for arranging everything, Kimbo

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hi thread! I've been thinking about getting an ebike as a commute alternative, a low-impact exercise incentive, and just for funsies. Since this is my first ebike, I want to start on the cheaper end -- <$1500, though I could do up to $2000 if there's a great reason to.

My needs: The most I'd be going for a work commute is ~8.5 miles one way, 1-2 times a week at most. More often I'd be using it to get around town, which is just a few miles away. I live in a semi-rural area; within the city limits of a small town, but just barely. There's isn't much of a cycling culture here but there are cycle lanes, some of them death traps, and sidewalks that no one uses. I'd like something that can handle gravel, trails, neglected sidewalks, and maybe even grass and dirt from time to time.

Here's the bikes I've been looking at, after reading the last ~10 or so pages of the thread:

Co-op CTY e1.1 - $1300. They offer membership into a cult which I find appealing. No throttle tho; I'd kinda want one of those for getting through busy intersections after coming to a stop. Unless that's not as big a deal as I'm imagining?
RadRover 6 Plus - $1400. I like the big tires for the aforementioned semi-rural environment, but apparently they're not doing great, business-wise?
TENWAYS CGO600 Pro - $1700. Sounds like a gaming mouse, looks like a normal bike. Has a torque sensor apparently? Really light too
Soltera Ebike - $900. Cheap compared to the others for sure. Is 350W low power for an ebike? Also offers step-through model at the same price; not sure how useful/desirable that is when I can lift my legs just fine
Aventure Ebike - $1500. Big tires. 73lbs sounds heavy tho.

Suffice to say I don't really know what to look for when it comes to a starter ebike; I'm hoping to rent one this weekend if the weather holds up. For the pros, which of those has the best bang:buck, or you'd recommend first for a noob? Open to other bike suggestions too, or corrections on the usefulness of things like throttle, big tires, etc. 'ppreciate y'all! Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I'll have many more once I'm out there rollin.

Fake E: oh yeah and is it worth looking for used ebikes? Me not knowing anything about their mechanics and the natural wear of electronic parts/batteries makes me think that'd be a tricky path.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I don't know how RadBikes is doing financially, but they've had a couple recalls and they're known for using pretty cheap parts. Personally, I've owned a RadRunner, a RadWagon, and a RadMission (basically a RadRover with skinnier tires) and none have been an issue so far. I saw them everywhere in the PNW and I still see them pretty frequently in Indiana.

The other electric bike I have is an Urban Arrow, which is a front-loader cargo bike and it does not have a throttle. I definitely miss that, mostly for getting through intersections after coming to a stop, as you mentioned. If it was an option, I would definitely get a throttle.

EDIT: the biggest problem with buying used is that you don't know the life of the battery, which is often the most expensive part of the bike after the motor.

sim fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 14, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you have good bike security at work get a better bike like $1500 and up. Get a 750w 48v motor and 15-20AH battery so you can do round trip without charging.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I test drove the 1.1 in a mall parking lot doing a bunch of stop and goes with traffic and honestly I was up to speed in like 5 pedals. I wouldn’t let a lack of throttle be a deal breaker

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Appoda posted:

Soltera Ebike - $900. Cheap compared to the others for sure. Is 350W low power for an ebike? Also offers step-through model at the same price; not sure how useful/desirable that is when I can lift my legs just fine

I have a step through Aventon Pace 500.2 that I’ve been riding for a little over a year. Very happy with it and the build quality though I went through a LBS and not direct so can’t comment on that experience.

My bike is about as heavy as the Aventure with my rack and locks and it rides fine. A little not-fun to ride powered off, but I could do 10-12mph on flat ground to keep pace with my wife on an MTB.

The Soltera is probably good if you’re a cyclist who just wants an easier ride to work, but if you’re coming in cold as I was take a look at the Pace (it’s more upright, 500w and has a larger battery).

quote:

Fake E: oh yeah and is it worth looking for used ebikes? Me not knowing anything about their mechanics and the natural wear of electronic parts/batteries makes me think that'd be a tricky path.

Under $2k? Maybe. There wasn’t much in my market except super cheap no-name bikes of unknowable quality and second-hand Specialized which were above my budget. If I saw a competitively priced used electric Trek, Specialized or Giant I might call the local dealers and see if they can do a PPI or pull battery health data.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Appoda posted:

Hi thread! I've been thinking about getting an ebike as a commute alternative, a low-impact exercise incentive, and just for funsies. Since this is my first ebike, I want to start on the cheaper end -- <$1500, though I could do up to $2000 if there's a great reason to.

My needs: The most I'd be going for a work commute is ~8.5 miles one way, 1-2 times a week at most. More often I'd be using it to get around town, which is just a few miles away. I live in a semi-rural area; within the city limits of a small town, but just barely. There's isn't much of a cycling culture here but there are cycle lanes, some of them death traps, and sidewalks that no one uses. I'd like something that can handle gravel, trails, neglected sidewalks, and maybe even grass and dirt from time to time.

Here's the bikes I've been looking at, after reading the last ~10 or so pages of the thread:

Co-op CTY e1.1 - $1300. They offer membership into a cult which I find appealing. No throttle tho; I'd kinda want one of those for getting through busy intersections after coming to a stop. Unless that's not as big a deal as I'm imagining?
RadRover 6 Plus - $1400. I like the big tires for the aforementioned semi-rural environment, but apparently they're not doing great, business-wise?
TENWAYS CGO600 Pro - $1700. Sounds like a gaming mouse, looks like a normal bike. Has a torque sensor apparently? Really light too

Suffice to say I don't really know what to look for when it comes to a starter ebike; I'm hoping to rent one this weekend if the weather holds up. For the pros, which of those has the best bang:buck, or you'd recommend first for a noob? Open to other bike suggestions too, or corrections on the usefulness of things like throttle, big tires, etc. 'ppreciate y'all! Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I'll have many more once I'm out there rollin.

I have the e1.1, which is the cargo REI bike. This was when it was on an even steeper sale than it is on now, but I think it would have been worth it even at a higher price. The tires are thick enough (and there is front suspension) that I've found that it handles mud/dirt trails/bad pavement pretty well. It also feels great when hauling a bunch of weight, and has a ~40 mile range depending on the assist. It feels good when you are going ~15 mph. Assist goes up to 20 mph, but the gearing is such that your cadence needs to be pretty high to keep it around that speed -- like 90-100 rpm or something. This might feel pretty unnatural even if you are used to higher cadence cycling. But, you also probably would not want to go that fast on it super often imo - it feels a bit twitchy at that speed, especially without cargo. With cargo, however, it feels awesome, and in general handles carrying stuff really well with its super low center of gravity.

Overall though I really love it. I used to do errands on my road bike with a rack/panniers, and that worked, but it definitely did not feel at all as stable when loaded up, and the prospect of dragging my groceries up a hill would sometimes stop me from biking. With the ebike all of that barrier went away.

Throttle I didn't find to be a problem -- if you jack the assist up and drop the gears before stoplights it will usually get going without much of an issue. Throttle would be a little easier, but it wasn't a huge deal for me either way.

I'm not totally sure if I would want it as my only bike though -- I feel like I'd probably prefer going with something with bigger diameter wheels/more normal bike geometry if it was my only bike/if hauling groceries etc. was not as important to me.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

tildes posted:

I have the e1.1, which is the cargo REI bike.
That's a different e1.1. This one is a hybrid.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

CopperHound posted:

That's a different e1.1. This one is a hybrid.

Yup! This would be in the other bike suggestions bucket 👍🏻

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Appoda posted:

if you do end up buying a rad bike i would highly recommend you avoid the radrover 6 plus as it is one of the most troublesome and frankly lovely bikes they make. id recommend any version of the runner over that bike. if you have your heart set on those big rear end 26 x 4” tires then either look for an older rover (they have mechanical brakes) or just go with another brand.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 15, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Keep in mind a 26x4 fat tire ebike (all the rage now, I have one) are closer to 29" when the tires are inflated.

I brought the step over version purely for look but It's way bigger in person than on the internet photo. I am 5'7" and I am just barely tall enough to ride it. My wife definitely can't. In retrospect I probably should have brought the step thru version.

Most of the new step thru models nowadays should have extra reinforced ebike frames to lessen the flex.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the replies y'all.

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you have good bike security at work get a better bike like $1500 and up. Get a 750w 48v motor and 15-20AH battery so you can do round trip without charging.

Any specific recs between $1500-2000? I would like something that can do a commute, tho I'd only have to commute like 3-4 times a month.

Naramyth posted:

I test drove the 1.1 in a mall parking lot doing a bunch of stop and goes with traffic and honestly I was up to speed in like 5 pedals. I wouldn’t let a lack of throttle be a deal breaker

Gonna rent what I think is a Gazelle tomorrow that only uses pedal assist and try out part of my commute on it, see how it feels! You may be right.

monsterzero posted:

I have a step through Aventon Pace 500.2 that I’ve been riding for a little over a year. Very happy with it and the build quality though I went through a LBS and not direct so can’t comment on that experience.

My bike is about as heavy as the Aventure with my rack and locks and it rides fine. A little not-fun to ride powered off, but I could do 10-12mph on flat ground to keep pace with my wife on an MTB.

The Soltera is probably good if you’re a cyclist who just wants an easier ride to work, but if you’re coming in cold as I was take a look at the Pace (it’s more upright, 500w and has a larger battery).

I saw the Aventon Pace and have it earmarked in my potential bike choices. I am not a cyclist, is the soltera built more with that in mind?

tildes posted:

I'm not totally sure if I would want it as my only bike though -- I feel like I'd probably prefer going with something with bigger diameter wheels/more normal bike geometry if it was my only bike/if hauling groceries etc. was not as important to me.

Whatever I get, it's going to be my only bike until I decide I'm an ebike head. That said, my usage would probably be lower than most here.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Keep in mind a 26x4 fat tire ebike (all the rage now, I have one) are closer to 29" when the tires are inflated.

I brought the step over version purely for look but It's way bigger in person than on the internet photo. I am 5'7" and I am just barely tall enough to ride it. My wife definitely can't. In retrospect I probably should have brought the step thru version.

Most of the new step thru models nowadays should have extra reinforced ebike frames to lessen the flex.

Honestly I don't know if I need fat tires or not, it's just something I was considering due to the semi-rural environment I mentioned. Dirt, gravel, busted up old sidewalks, but really the big thing would be that walkways tend to have at least one pile of broken glass somewhere. If tube tires are fine with occasional rural/trail conditions then I probably don't need them.

I didn't think about the height thing tho. Reckon I should go for smaller bikes, if I go for big tires?

Hackers film 1995 posted:

if you have your heart set on those big rear end 26 x 4” tires then either look for an older rover (they have mechanical brakes) or just go with another brand.

I don't think I'll be getting a rad given some of the in-thread feedback. As for fat tires, I don't really have my heart set on them (honestly I kinda don't like how they make a bike stand out), but if they're useful for the terrain described above , then it's something I'd take into consideration.

--

Two other bikes I've been looking at:

Aventon Pace 500.2 - $1300. 500W motor, claims you can get up to 28MPH on PAS. 12.Ah battery. Throttle. Looks normal.
RipCurrent S - $1600. 1000W motor, front suspension, fat tires, 19.2Ah battery, 76lbs. Looks like a tiny motorcycle. This one seems to check most of my boxes and is in my budget -- does anyone have opinions on these?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've got just under 1000 miles on the pace 500.2 large and it's as solid as ever. The claimed 28mph is legit, I can hit it when I want to put in the effort even when carrying lots of stuff. I can hear the motor cut off when I push to what would be even faster, so the motor clearly has at least some headroom before the governer kicks in. 20 is what it hits throttle-only

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Appoda posted:

I saw the Aventon Pace and have it earmarked in my potential bike choices. I am not a cyclist, is the soltera built more with that in mind?

Two other bikes I've been looking at:

Aventon Pace 500.2 - $1300. 500W motor, claims you can get up to 28MPH on PAS. 12.Ah battery. Throttle. Looks normal.

The Pace is a a cruiser with a fat sit-on seat and swept back handlebars (with an adjustable stem) so it's comfortable and adjustable, and you sit upright which helps visibility and is going to be easier if your butt and core aren't used to bikes. It pedals okay but it's heavy and your hips are low and behind the bottom bracket, so you're going to lean on the motor more.

Sentient Data is right about the speeds. It's plenty fast. I have my limit set to 22mph because the PAS basically works like a cruise control- if you pedal it will go to the speed set by PAS 1 through 5, and this way PAS3 gets me 15mph which is the speed limit in the park. If you have a local dealer I would try the 500.2 and 500.3 if they are available. The 500.3 added torque-sensing PAS which should be a better experience (I have not tried/will not try until its time to replace mine.)

In contrast the Soltera has a less powerful motor, and a sportier/more biomechanically efficient riding position. The saddle is less padded and you're going to need some core strength or else you'll you'll be heavy on the bars. If you're coming from commuting on a 10-speed you're probably used to this and are going to be fine with a 350w assist because you're used to your legs providing 100% the watts.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the advice. After running around on a Gazelle Medeo, I think y'all are right on the money with the Pace 500.2. Definitely putting that one in the top slot.

My verdict after trying one out is that I should probably run around on a normal bicycle for a bit before forking out a chunk of change. :v: Got more confident as I rode, but it's been years since I've regularly ridden a bike and I wasn't entirely full of certainty on how to position myself. My rear end went into diamond-crushing mode when other riders went wide, or I had to pass some jackass on a unicycle on a narrow trail bridge. :argh: I think part of it is that the bike was shortshaming me; I could only "stand" if I was pushing myself up to my tiptoes, and to get a leg over I had to kinda lean to one side and saddle up from an angle.

Got a great workout tho even with the assistance, and doing that without destroying my feet is exactly what I want.

Anyways, thanks again y'all! :tipshat:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I broke the kickstand on my L885 cargo bike :(

It broke right at a manufacturing seam, and at home while I was moving it around thankfully. I guess it doesn't matter as I'm having back surgery on Monday and won't be riding for a little while, but I'm still annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seam as in a weld on the frame? Or the kickstand mechanism itself?