Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Upgrade posted:

Recs for a primer on plaster?

Wraithbone :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Old and busted "roof" on the patio pergola:

All new purlins stained to match:

New hotness:

Looking forward to hearing the plink plink plink the next time it rains.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Anyone use one of those trendy Solo stoves for a fire pit?

Tis the season, and the fire pit we have is a cheap, lovely, unwieldy piece of junk from LowesDepot. We don't use it much because it's such a PITA to haul out and put away... we don't have a dedicated place to put it on account of our back yard being so sloped, so we just use the driveway (which, oddly enough, is nearly flat the entire length, which is massively convenient for a great many things).

Never thought I'd consider the Solo stove, but I saw one in a hardware store and holy poo poo is it ever light.

Are these things worth the cost?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I'm not crazy about them if you're looking for heat, they kinda just send it all directly skyward. They look nice though and don't make much smoke.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I have a Tiki fire pit. Weighs about double what the Solo does but has handles, I don't find it hard to move. My wife preferred the looks of the Tiki model. It's been a few years since I bought it but I think the price was comparable.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've got one and I like it. As long as you're aware you're buying something because it looks nice, they're fine. As mentioned, the tradeoff is smoke vs heat. You get far less smoke but not as much heat directed outward. I mean, ideally you're probably not using one for keeping warm in a snow storm but for casual home use it's great and does still project heat. The bonfire is the smallest I would recommend for home use. It's not huge and they burn wood really fast.

Mine came with the PVC cover which I would recommend. The metal lid and other accessories seem sort of useless. Maybe the screen if you're worried about embers. I think they make a heart deflector now also.

My biggest complaint is how to empty the ash. Mine has to be turned upside down and shaken to dump the ash. I wish the perforated grate was removable, it would be infinitely easier. I'm not sure if they've changed it since but it's annoying and messy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

For the longest time I thought the people down the street were crafty af for converting a washing machine tub into a fire pit :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

For the longest time I thought the people down the street were crafty af for converting a washing machine tub into a fire pit :v:

How did they arrange it with the car on blocks and toilet planter? :v:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The solo stove fire pits now have an optional heat deflector, which works pretty well. Though, if you have wet or rotten wood it'll deflect the smoke at you with the heat

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

The solo stove fire pits now have an optional heat deflector, which works pretty well. Though, if you have wet or rotten wood it'll deflect the smoke at you with the heat

There's also a bunch of people on etsy that will sell you one - they work great, you get basically no smoke and plenty of heat.

Just make sure you clean it out, ashes + water will eventually rust it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought three rows of cinderblocks at Home Depot for $30 for my firepit

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Luxury! We used rocks!

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Anyone have any experience with hideable beds? My mother recently sold her house so will be visiting for extended periods. We Have an extra room, that is currently my game room and aquarium room. But we want to turn it into a temp bedroom situation.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We bought a murphy bed from Costco for like $1900. It worked great, would hold a full 10" thick proper queen size mattress

https://www.costco.com/bed-%2526-room-porter-queen-portrait-wall-bed.product.100235190.html

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Couch mattresses can go pretty high on the quality scale these days, now that memory foam is such a common and widespread material for mattresses. I'd say the best solution is to go shopping together

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Murphy beds are a great solution, I put one in my guest space which doubles as an office as part of a wall shelving solution and it's been fantastic.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hadlock posted:

We bought a murphy bed from Costco for like $1900. It worked great, would hold a full 10" thick proper queen size mattress

https://www.costco.com/bed-%2526-room-porter-queen-portrait-wall-bed.product.100235190.html

I thought for sure you were this son of a motherless dog

e: wait a minute, are you? Name change to try and avoid the Costco shame? Nice try buddy, you’ve been outed. Wait until the Costco thread hears about this.

Zero VGS posted:

I’m about to return a $2000 wall bed, I didn’t like a bunch of things about it including that they hid in the pictures that there’s a 1 foot gap behind your head where pillows and phones can fall into an abyss behind it, and that the built-in desk is shallow enough that it feels like airplane-class legroom.

Any tips for the return? I assume my best bet is to just show up unannounced with all the wood panels wrapped up in commercial cling wrap. It still shows up in my orders in the webpage from a few years ago. Hopefully they’ll be cool about it if I make it as presentable as I can?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

bird with big dick posted:

drat, haven’t heard this in years. My boss was once insulted at a loss he was inspecting (and probably denying while there) by a tiny older woman who cursed him as “the son of a motherless goat”

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I'm thinking of just DIYing a Murphy Bed this fall.

How terrible of an idea is this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

For you? Not one at all!

For the person sleeping in it? Probably pretty terrible.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MarcusSA posted:

For you? Not one at all!

For the person sleeping in it? Probably pretty terrible.

There is a high likelihood I will be the first one to sleep in it :ohdear:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zarin posted:

Sounds like a pretty cool DIY project to me, post screenshots!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

There is a high likelihood I will be the first one to sleep in it :ohdear:

I mean if you look at the pictures from that Costco link it doesn’t look overly complicated.

Just need to make sure you get the angles right I guess.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

For you? Not one at all!

For the person sleeping in crushed to death under it? Probably pretty terrible.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What I'm trying to say is do you have an umbrella policy on your homeowners/renters insurance?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zarin posted:

Somewhere on the interwebs I've read a couple positive reviews for the Murphy bed kits you can get at Rockler: https://www.rockler.com/hardware/furniture-hardware/bed-hardware/murphy-beds No experience with them myself.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

e: wait a minute, are you? Name change to try and avoid the Costco shame? Nice try buddy, you’ve been outed. Wait until the Costco thread hears about this.

Whatever movie you're referencing I have no idea sorry

We got a Costco membership to buy this bed and get it delivered and then promptly cancelled it, I am fat enough without needing to buy 48 pack of flamin hot Cheetos or whatever for $4.99

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't buy cheetos then, presumably you still need to buy things like butter, sugar, flour, meat, etc. 6-packs of dental floss don't go bad and cost half of what anyone else charges.

Our household gets the executive membership, we go once a month to stock up on bulk stuff and the 2% cash back at the end of the year pays for the entire membership. Although we have a household of 2 adults and 2 children, it probably wouldn't work out that well if I lived by myself, or if we never cooked

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The problem with a Costco membership is everyone else at Costco.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I was very disappointed with Costco when I signed up this year, at least as a normal store. They did well by me for appliance purchases, but the rest isn’t worth keeping a membership for.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

No worse than any other grocery store tbh but if you are a peasant farmer then I guess costco may not be for you

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Bulk shopping can work as long as you're selective about it. I buy and vacuum seal/freeze a ton of bulk chicken breasts, beef roasts and steaks, staples like flour, sugar, rice, cereal, coffee, and snacks for our kid. Sometimes I'll buy fruits and vegetables in bulk, but only if I'm meal planning and need a lot of anything in particular.

If you don't cook 4-5 nights a week, I can see it being not worth it. But even for our family of three, we save a fair bit buying staples at Costco or Sam's Club and just filling in specialty items from our local grocery store.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

About to save $915 buying a patio set at Costco over the manufacturer's site. Costco will add a year to their warranty and will give me no-questions-asked returns for two years?

But normally the membership pays for itself with the Citibank credit card rewards on gas (4%, everywhere) and in-store purchases (2%). You don't need to be a Quiverfull family to shop at Costco.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We are like the grocery stores ideal customer we buy enough food for like 2 days at a time and go in three times a week especially for fresh produce (toddlers eat an alarming amount of fruit, given the chance)

Groceries aren't a significant chunk of our budget saving X% isn't worth the 40 minute round trip and we're not setup to buy and store weeks of food. We buy most of our non food supplies on Amazon

Buying a $50 membership to save $500+ on furniture is a deal though. We are going to buy some outdoor furniture next spring and will definitely look at what they have on offer

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Good place to get a TV, too

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
At one point we were doing multi-stop grocery trips to Costco, the produce stand, Trader Joes then Safeway pretty much every week. All in the name of getting the cheapest of whatever at each store. Finally came to our senses and realized the extra hour plus each week was worth more than the $20-30 we might save. Huge quality of life improvement.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Kirkland protein bars are like crack.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Costco is great for a wide variety of things but difficult for small households. They don't have everything so you'll still need to go elsewhere.

For me it's all about the gas. My 4runner has a big tank and the savings on gas alone pays for my membership in about a month and a half of getting gas weekly.

I save at least 50c per gallon (23gal tank) vs going to city gas stations. If I'm saving $10 with every fill up, it adds up quickly. The Prius is comical as it's usually only $30 to fill up and lasts two weeks.

We've used Costco rental car service a few times with success.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Verman posted:

Costco is great for a wide variety of things but difficult for small households. They don't have everything so you'll still need to go elsewhere.

For me it's all about the gas. My 4runner has a big tank and the savings on gas alone pays for my membership in about a month and a half of getting gas weekly.

I save at least 50c per gallon (23gal tank) vs going to city gas stations. If I'm saving $10 with every fill up, it adds up quickly. The Prius is comical as it's usually only $30 to fill up and lasts two weeks.

We've used Costco rental car service a few times with success.

Yeah, on the gas front ours is only $0.08 per gallon cheaper than the station down the block from us, and we drive a Prius. It feels weird to drive 20-30 min, then wait in line for 15 min, just to save $0.88.

The small households thing is the problem we have, paired with dietary habits. We eat like 60% vegetables, 10-15% fruit, and the remaining 25-30% will be rice + tofu/chicken/eggs. The shelf-stable staples are all but non-existent apart from bags of short-grain and basmati rice in the closet. Their produce department is (and this is weird to me given I'm in California, where we grow all this poo poo supposedly) really low-quality compared to what I can get at either the farmers' market or the asian grocery store, and while it's cheaper per unit, we can't eat it all before it goes bad unless we have no variety and just get one bulk bag of (whatever) each time. If I try to reproduce the variety that we eat in a given week, I'm going to have 80% of it spoil before we can get to it.

That being said - credit where it's due... their OTC medicine/pharmacy section is top notch. If what you want is available in Kirkland brand, their pricing is phenomenally good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sundae posted:

Their produce department is (and this is weird to me given I'm in California, where we grow all this poo poo supposedly) really low-quality compared to what I can get at either the farmers' market or the asian grocery store, and while it's cheaper per unit, we can't eat it all before it goes bad unless we have no variety and just get one bulk bag of (whatever) each time. If I try to reproduce the variety that we eat in a given week, I'm going to have 80% of it spoil before we can get to it.

That being said - credit where it's due... their OTC medicine/pharmacy section is top notch. If what you want is available in Kirkland brand, their pricing is phenomenally good.
Costco's produce is shockingly terrible given how good almost everything else is there. Spoils quicker than whatever I get at the grocery store, and is not dramatically cheaper.

Having said that, their romaine and spring mix are cheap and work well for feeding my kids' rabbits, who don't really give a poo poo that it's bland.