Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Well from what I hear about these "puppet master" movies from goons it sounds like this Full Moon shares a lot more of their common values

Originally the puppets were made by a man (played by Greg Sestero, later of The Room fame) living in occupied France and they killed Nazis. This reboot has the puppets as Nazis hunting down minorities.

The franchise has always been a kind of slasher series, and like many slashers you also kind of root for the killer. But no, I'm sure it's purely innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The puppets started fighting Nazis in the third movie and continued for the next ten films until the reboot that flipped it and for some reason Thomas Lennon decided to star in it as if he needs the money being one of the most successful script doctors in Hollywood.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Smash Mouth performed at the Sturgis Superspreader event in August of 2020 where he told the maskless crowd of thousands “Glad we’re all here together, gently caress that COVID poo poo”

Surprisingly, he was supportive of trans rights and mocked "straight pride parades", so it evens out.

I heard the real reason was he had an alcoholism problem and it's likely contributed to his death.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
All I know about Smash Mouth is that I'm a rock star and I need to get my game on.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Young Freud posted:

I heard the real reason was he had an alcoholism problem and it's likely contributed to his death.

His liver failed him so that's probably the case

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The puppets started fighting Nazis in the third movie and continued for the next ten films until the reboot that flipped it and for some reason Thomas Lennon decided to star in it as if he needs the money being one of the most successful script doctors in Hollywood.

Toulon was being pursued by Nazis in the original :eng101:

And "Littlest Reich" might be the single worst thing I've ever seen produced by Full Moon. And that's saying something considering they produced the Puppet Master series and the Evil Bong trilogy.

Just an absolute trash fire of a movie. But god drat is the Morricone score excellent.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

joylessdivision posted:

Evil Bong trilogy.

I've only ever seen the first three but there are 8 of these fuckin things as well as a spinoff/crossover called "the gingerweed man"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

His liver failed him so that's probably the case

He had wet brain too, just all hosed up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

He had wet brain too, just all hosed up.

Wernicke encephalopathy is a terrible, terrible way to go, and it's completely irreversible. One of my aunts drank herself to death eight years ago, and the last ten or twelve years of her life, she was a barely functioning shell of a person and it was just awful to watch her deteriorate. Another aunt passed from ALS 25 years ago, and that was devastating to watch, but Wernicke encephalopathy was almost as hard.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That Godzilla minus one trailer is sick

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hopefully it'll see a more widespread release as one of my UK friends was incredibly sold on the movie after seeing that trailer.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've only ever seen the first three but there are 8 of these fuckin things as well as a spinoff/crossover called "the gingerweed man"

Of Course there are 8 of them and spinoffs. You know the world is going to be a slightly worse place when Charles Band and Lloyd Kaufman finally kick the bucket.

Speaking of Kaufman, apparently the Toxic Avenger remake is real and stars Peter Dinklage. I'm intrigued as gently caress.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

joylessdivision posted:

Of Course there are 8 of them and spinoffs. You know the world is going to be a slightly worse place when Charles Band and Lloyd Kaufman finally kick the bucket.

Speaking of Kaufman, apparently the Toxic Avenger remake is real and stars Peter Dinklage. I'm intrigued as gently caress.

Evil Bong started as a crossover vehicle, there'd a bunch of cameos and appearances by other Full Moon characters. The main characters are a bunch of stones that get high and watch Full Moon movies.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

Directed by Macon Blair!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought it was Gingerdead Man.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

joylessdivision posted:

Toulon was being pursued by Nazis in the original :eng101:

And "Littlest Reich" might be the single worst thing I've ever seen produced by Full Moon. And that's saying something considering they produced the Puppet Master series and the Evil Bong trilogy.

Just an absolute trash fire of a movie. But god drat is the Morricone score excellent.

Good news, it wasn’t produced by Full Moon. It came from CINESTATE, Fangoria, and Zero Trans Fat Productions.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

I thought it was Gingerdead Man.

It was, before Gingerdead Man vs. Evil Bong started the cross-pollination. I can’t say I’m keen to dive into the current Full Moon Cinematic Universe, but I’m glad it’s there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

https://gizmodo.com/barbenheimer-parody-movie-full-moon-pictures-1850800539

hosed up that WB is okay with this while The People's Joker got erased from existence like an hour before its premier.

The people’s what now?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
cool they can make it even Nazier than the new Puppet Master

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
These movies are tax shenanigans right? There’s no way there was enough profit even at zero budget for there to be eight Puppet Master movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

The people’s what now?

I think this is a communist Joker fan film that was set to be screened at a festival but cancelled at the last minute because of WB

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

galagazombie posted:

These movies are tax shenanigans right? There’s no way there was enough profit even at zero budget for there to be eight Puppet Master movies.

Looks like someone missed out on the puppet master craze of the later 80's early 90's! Toys, lunch boxes, Celen Dion number one pseudo-Celtic soundtrack songs, pogs! Man the puppet master series had them all!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The MSJ posted:

I think this is a communist Joker fan film that was set to be screened at a festival but cancelled at the last minute because of WB

do they get a writeoff on fan films now?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They liked making Puppet Master movies so much one of them reuses footage from earlier films for the puppet scenes, and another one is entirely a clip show.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

galagazombie posted:

They're not tax shenanigans, but they did benefit from a number of tax credits various countries put out to lure film makers. They've slowly closed over the years, I think the largest was Bulgaria and when that finally closed a few years ago Syfy stopped making their cgi monster fest movies.

While it was going these movies had some wild set pieces and movies built around using available shooting locations, like Castle Freaks or a horde of vampire TNA movies.

Vvv I think that might have been Curse of the Puppet Master? There were 2-3 completely unrelated Puppet Master movies after they wrapped the story up in 5 bur before they just went back to puppets killing Nazis.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 6, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Which Full Moon evil puppet movie was it with the supervillain (whose evil plan naturally involved turning people into tiny kinda racist caricature puppets to use as assassins) who wore a big Doctor Doom mask to conceal that his head was the size of a baseball? Had a mopey serious guy in clown makeup for a henchman? I saw it like 15 years ago and Full Moon made so goddamn many evil puppet movies it's hard to pinpoint any specific one based on hazy recollections.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Companies have been paying critics for RT reviews

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Never, ever underestimate the low budget, direct to video schlock. There is always someone who will watch it.

Also as others have pointed out, generous tax breaks to shoot in various European countries.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Never, ever underestimate the low budget, direct to video schlock. There is always someone who will watch it.

Also as others have pointed out, generous tax breaks to shoot in various European countries.

I love low budget direct to video schlock

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Most of the low budget films (from companies that knew what they were doing) were budgeted out to be profitable before they even started film through tax breaks and regional presales. I have no idea how financing works now as it has changed so much but there is probably still ways to game the system even if it is less and smaller pie slices.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Full Moon is directly responsible for The Calling and "Wherever You Will Go."

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Shocking.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Collateral posted:

...Shocking...

"Peter Travers, Rolling Stone"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I am still yet to be convinced that person actually exists outside the collective imagination of movie advertising agents.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

this pic is over a decade old

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I love low budget direct to video schlock

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Most of the low budget films (from companies that knew what they were doing) were budgeted out to be profitable before they even started film through tax breaks and regional presales. I have no idea how financing works now as it has changed so much but there is probably still ways to game the system even if it is less and smaller pie slices.

I think another thing to note, is at the direct to vhs heyday, VHS tapes weren't priced for personal ownership. Copies of successfull movies would sell for $70- 120 a pop, Full Moon and other studios cornered the market on tapes that would sell to rental stores at $40-50 apiece to fill shelves and offer alternatives to customers that came in for the big releases that were always rented out because the store could only really afford 2- 3 copies.

Of course this is also why mom and pop rental stores in the north east were notourious for laundering money for the mob and stocking a lot of bootlegs/copies that fell off a truck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It wasn't until the DVD era that everything for home release was priced for consumers. I worked at video rental store in 98-99 and even then there were a lot of movies that were in the $80 range.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Of course the other thing that older bad movies used to do to remain profitable was reusing footage from other movies. Roger Corman was the king of this where he actually made multiple movies out of just piecing together footage from other projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Of course the other thing that older bad movies used to do to remain profitable was reusing footage from other movies. Roger Corman was the king of this where he actually made multiple movies out of just piecing together footage from other projects.

Corman was (still alive but mostly retired) a master of the craft and probably the best eye for talent in Hollywood history.

The list of directors that Corman gave their first break to is a veritable who's who of the industry.

Pulled from his wiki

"A number of noted filmmakers (including directors, producers, writers, and cinematographers) have worked with Corman, usually early in their careers, including Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Ron Howard, Polly Platt, Peter Bogdanovich, Declan O'Brien, Armondo Linus Acosta, Paul Bartel, Jonathan Demme, Donald G. Jackson, Gale Anne Hurd, Carl Colpaert, Joe Dante, James Cameron, John Sayles, Monte Hellman, Carl Franklin,[141] George Armitage, Jonathan Kaplan, George Hickenlooper, Curtis Hanson, Jack Hill, Robert Towne, Menahem Golan, James Horner, and Timur Bekmambetov. "

He was notourious for having an ironclad rule to the directors he hired "Do whatever the gently caress you want, just deliver on time and under budget."

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 7, 2023