Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
cause the console is free 🆓

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm going to have to post my other cat, aren't I?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ziasquinn posted:

buddy!! ppl can barely dress themselves, you think ppl who can/have/know how to clone credit cards are larping in the service industry

Your server is not running a card cloning scam. They may, however, be getting paid by someone who is to run your card through 2 machines instead of just 1. I don't think it is super widespread but I've read about it before, though not for a while; the advent of chip cards may be part of why, I don't really know much about how card security works.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

guppy posted:

Your server is not running a card cloning scam. They may, however, be getting paid by someone who is to run your card through 2 machines instead of just 1. I don't think it is super widespread but I've read about it before, though not for a while; the advent of chip cards may be part of why, I don't really know much about how card security works.

I'm not an expert but I know the basics,

Swipes basically store all the card info in the stripe itself. That card info is encrypted at the card machine before going to the server. So if you have something between the card machine and the card like a skimmer you can get that card info no problem.

Chips encrypt the card info at the chip, because its a chip, when its put into the card machine the card machine powers the chip up, the chip runs the application with the data for the actual card itself, that then travels to the credit card machine which uses authentication keys programmed into the card machine to go the payment processors servers which then sends it to the payment processor's bank to whichever card type your using to the customers bank then after checking that there's no red flags in terms of whatever anti-fraud software the customers bank has set up it then travels back to the customers card through the same path in reverse. The customers card not the machine is what gives final authorization.

With swipe the credit card machine does the initial ask and final approval and just takes the info from the card. So as long as that info gets there it doesnt matter to the machine if theres a skimmer inbetween.

With the chip since the card is what does the ask approval and first piece of encryption (because theres more at the machine) its a lot harder to find a good place to insert a middleman. Contactless payments are also chip cards basically. The machine sends out a radio signal that powers up the card and the card then sends the info back along the radio signal. Some cards will have antennes that run basically the whole length of the card but nowadays theyre usually really short which is why its tap to pay. The longer ones are easier to break and less secure. Like they can end up accidentally paying for an authorization 10 feet away. So they became rare really quickly.

A single stolen credit card actually isn't as valuable as you think. You can usually only get a couple purchases out of it before the customer or bank notices and closes the card. So usually stolen credit cards are collected, bundled together and sold as a bundle. The criminal then basically runs a script to test out the card on small business' e-commerce sites to figure out which ones are still valid or not. That's usually collected from data breaches or stuff like people entering in cc info on public wifi networks. You CAN skim chip cards. But it takes a lot more effort and is much more expensive for a crime that you actually need to do in volume to have it be worth the risk.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Like 90% of the places I go accept Apple Pay. Or if it’s a fast food place I’ll use their app and pick up.

Clammy is just being a negative Nancy

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Yeah I don't carry a wallet any more, I just use my phone for everything.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

I still carry a wallet cause Texas doesn’t do digitalid yet as I recall.

I also gotta keep my green card on me so ice doesn’t deport my rear end.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

NPR Journalizard posted:

Do you just leave your ID in your car?
There’s a few places that still don’t accept Apple Pay around here (like Krogers) but that’s the only other thing in my wallet.

Edit- this is the first I’m hearing of a digital ID.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 3, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I just use the credit card. I get one to two percent back and if someone steals my info it’s the banks problem not mine

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I just use the credit card. I get one to two percent back and if someone steals my info it’s the banks problem not mine

You get 3% with Apple Pay

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Cyks posted:

There’s a few places that still don’t accept Apple Pay around here (like Krogers) but that’s the only other thing in my wallet.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/08/25/digital-id-drivers-license-iphone-states-airports/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

using apple pay or similar is fine but digital ids are a trap, don't hand your phone to cops

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool posted:

using apple pay or similar is fine but digital ids are a trap, don't hand your phone to cops

Via corporate policy I am not allowed to hand over my phone to police because it contains confidential information about my company and our company lawyer has told us to deny and call him if they want it, 24/7.

e: we're a startup and backed by those corporate lawyers from our venture capital fund so they would love it. We're a defense contractor in a sense of some of our customers. Do you think my local PD wants to go up against the defense department?

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 4, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Oh goons, personal achievement time. I am down to 220 from my max of 250 at 6'1 I averaged 180 in high school while playing soccer so I'm pretty happy so far. I think I can hit 200 by this time next year. I carry all my weight in my legs from soccer

Gonna aim for 6’3 215.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

How does this even work, does the credit card company just hike the fees for late-paying borrowers to give to those who are already well-enough off to repay their loans on time? (Because that's sure a neat take from the poor and give to the rich scheme.)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Oh goons, personal achievement time. I am down to 220 from my max of 250 at 6'1 I averaged 180 in high school while playing soccer so I'm pretty happy so far. I think I can hit 200 by this time next year. I carry all my weight in my legs from soccer

Gonna aim for 6’3 215.

I'm also 6'1 and had the same thought recently. I just need to find a couple more inches over which to stretch out my weight.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

nielsm posted:

How does this even work, does the credit card company just hike the fees for late-paying borrowers to give to those who are already well-enough off to repay their loans on time? (Because that's sure a neat take from the poor and give to the rich scheme.)

They charge the vendor above whatever discount you get. They're not doing it for free. Non payment fees is bonus money.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

nielsm posted:

Businesses pay a portion of their credit card sales to the card companies and payment processor. For a big place with a lot of volume it will be around 2-3% for a place that’s smaller it will be higher like 4-5%. Of a place has a lot of chargebacks or isn’t doing a good job of preventing fraud it’s riskier and that kicks it’s fees higher even if they do a lot of volume.

When you get 2% back the credit card company’s really just giving you like 2/3rds of its fees to make sure you use their card so they get that remaining 1% instead of those bastards at Mastercard or god forbid cash

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Businesses pay a portion of their credit card sales to the card companies and payment processor. For a big place with a lot of volume it will be around 2-3% for a place that’s smaller it will be higher like 4-5%. Of a place has a lot of chargebacks or isn’t doing a good job of preventing fraud it’s riskier and that kicks it’s fees higher even if they do a lot of volume.

When you get 2% back the credit card company’s really just giving you like 2/3rds of its fees to make sure you use their card so they get that remaining 1% instead of those bastards at Mastercard or god forbid cash

Credit card companies are some of the few left that actually use mainframes besides the major realtors like Walmart and target. Unfortunately nothing beats the mainframe for that many transactions and inventory upkeep.

I'd love to know how amazon does it or do they have a mainframe somewhere behind it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cyks posted:

The last time I was asked for ID, I showed them a picture of it on my phone, and that was good enough to pick up my package from the post office.

Cant remember the last time I needed it for any official purpose. I suppose when I flew overseas, but that was my passport and I wouldnt just carry that round.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

jaegerx posted:

You get 3% with Apple Pay

I get 4% with mine . Well, not everywhere, 4% with gas, groceries and some other things,, 2% with don't remember what, and 1% with everything else. Still, I'm usually looking at $600-$1000 off on the November bill, when they pay out the "dividends". But they do have a $100/year fee.

nielsm posted:

Yes, all of that. And they have an annual fee.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
no one getting Ided at bars

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm in America for the weekend and I cannot handle how you people love credit card fraud so much. Like, at a restaurant, the server physically takes my card somewhere and brings it back and I have to physically write in a tip and total with a pen?! Then what happens??????

Oh and you weirdos sell alcohol in grocery stores and gas stations?! And literal pharmacies?!?!!?

You all really have good fast food though. A+ snacks too.

Wait, did you come down this weekend and not message me?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Grocery store here has to scan the barcode on the back of the ID for the POS to complete an alcohol purchase, so I need it for that.

There's also no way I would chance being pulled over without my ID.

I will never in 100 million billion years hand my cop my phone so digital id makes me very wary. I know they are supposed to have a way to wirelessly read the ID without surrendering the phone. I also know cops lie and will say the device "isn't working" to get possession of a phone or just fine you for not having proper ID when driving.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a TWIC that I carry with me as ID in addition to my driver's license. I've never had to give it to a cop for a traffic stop but it immediately makes most TSA agents more friendly.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ziasquinn posted:

no one getting Ided at bars

if the bar gets fined by Alcohol control they will start IDing EVERYONE for like 2 weeks before they get lazy again. You don't want to get caught flatfooted by that

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
oh i just meant all these shut in WFH nerds being like "I never have my ID on me :)"

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Booted up Postman today for the first time in a while, and was greeted by a popup informing me that I am no longer allowed to have a local workspace, and will need an account. This was accompanied by a link to a blog post by the CEO which claimed to contains the explanation for why they are doing this - which opened with a paragraph talking about how great SaaS is.

Seems like it's time to jump ship soon, if not now. Any reccommendations for a replacement?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i bring my wallet with me when I go out, in theory I have a credit card tied to my phone but that's more of a backup if I need a card when I'm not expecting to

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I carry my passports with me at all times. gently caress driving, no license 4lyfe. also everyone accepts a passport. Health cards and drivers licenses not so much.

I’m adhd as gently caress but in thousands of flights I’ve have never lost a passport! I’ve got a 25 year old leather pouch and it’ll last another 25 at this rate.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

I carry my passports with me at all times. gently caress driving, no license 4lyfe. also everyone accepts a passport. Health cards and drivers licenses not so much.

I’m adhd as gently caress but in thousands of flights I’ve have never lost a passport! I’ve got a 25 year old leather pouch and it’ll last another 25 at this rate.

Liquor stores aren’t supposed to accept passports as legal id in Texas

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

jaegerx posted:

What? why? :cripes:

I nearly got denied service at a hotel bar in Vegas because I had the nerve to show them my :norway: drivers license instead of my passport (that I left in the hotel room :haw: )

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

jaegerx posted:

https://txresponsibleserving.com/we...l%20government.

Wrong?

Edit: better link: https://www.tabc.texas.gov/public-safety/age-verification/

Texas establishments can just make up their own rules to deny service but they absolutely don’t have to. What a shithole some of you live in

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 4, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like a Texas problem, if it's official ID and it's got your birthday on it that should be good enough.

Not like anyone needed more reasons to avoid Texas.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i am a moron posted:

https://txresponsibleserving.com/we...l%20government.

Wrong?

Edit: better link: https://www.tabc.texas.gov/public-safety/age-verification/

Texas establishments can just make up their own rules to deny service but they absolutely don’t have to. What a shithole some of you live in

Well I guess that liquor store guy was just a dick

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Nostalgamus posted:

Booted up Postman today for the first time in a while, and was greeted by a popup informing me that I am no longer allowed to have a local workspace, and will need an account. This was accompanied by a link to a blog post by the CEO which claimed to contains the explanation for why they are doing this - which opened with a paragraph talking about how great SaaS is.

Seems like it's time to jump ship soon, if not now. Any reccommendations for a replacement?

Insomnia is pretty good.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Nostalgamus posted:

curl

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I just figured out why clammy is in USA. He’s at burning man.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had someone ask me to buy beer for them in NYS because the clerk wouldn't take their passport as a form of ID. I didn't do it because gently caress getting roped into the liability for that but I did feel bad for the guy.