Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
pvp is definitely broken, but broken in fun ways. I am in a wisp of a mech with 9k hp but I can stay at range and fill acs meters until I run out of ammo, suicide kick into someone, and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only reason I didn't like the checkpoints is because I don't like restarting something I failed at from full resources instead of where I was actually at but they also explicitly give you those resources beforehand so it doesn't matter at all

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

The only reason I didn't like the checkpoints is because I don't like restarting something I failed at from full resources instead of where I was actually at but they also explicitly give you those resources beforehand so it doesn't matter at all

I'm fine with them gating no checkpoint restarts behind S rank. Its them saying you can do it but not forcing you

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

some of these guys in the arena are real serious

https://i.imgur.com/JGoe2N6.mp4

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eej posted:

NG++: I mean the Dosers plan to huff the dust and sell the rest it's not like they're actually noble. They're just less poo poo because they're fighting for their home. The only actual faction that recognizes Coral sentience and right to exist as a species is Allmind and her only mistake was thinking she couldn't fully trust you to go with her plan and turning on you. Like, Allmind could've had her happy ending if she did Literally Nothing at the end.

Also Fires of Raven: I'm seeing a lot of Reddit posts about the story saying they thought Fires of Raven was actually the goodest ending and I literally cannot understand their viewpoint. You torched an entire planet killing everyone on it plus all your allies are dead and you genocided an alien race. How is that "good"???

Reddit, the site famous for having subs devoted to sexual assualt, has bad opinions about genocide?

Who could have predicted this?

Waffle Shake posted:

I think I'm inclined to agree that there were a few too many boss encounters in the game. Actually it would be fine if there were more bread and butter levels involved to spread things out, but Fromsoft seemed reluctant to include any missions that weren't plot critical in some way. I actually would have liked more "filler" missions to just run around goofing around with my latest build -- and From could have used it as an excuse to spread around more obnoxiously hidden battle logs!

Also, wrapping my first playthrough, I am now certain that they need to patch Balteus and make him easier. Later bosses are even harder, but it feels less unfair because you have more toys to work with. It's just not a reasonable thing to do to newer players with low-DPS weapons and few OST chips. Make the Songbirds available earlier so you can cheese him with *something*. In fact it's really conspicuous how you only seem to have access to missile launchers for most of the game.

Still, even with some quibbles, it was a great ride all the way through. As a long-delayed return to form, this was an absolute blast. I haven't played one of these since AC3, and it all felt pretty familiar to me.

As someone who really, really detests obnoxiously hidden collectibles: No. Exploration can be fun, but my hot take is that it doesn't work so great in mission-based game structures, because the game is communicating to me that I should be attempting to traverse from point A to point B quickly and accomplish the objective, not go and see if any of these pipes are actually pathable. Contrast with 'open world' games where the structure of the game itself is telling you to be creative with your pathing and go take a look at the odd geography you noticed on your map.

Brian Worms posted:

I think “it sucks that the game is trying to force me to play a fun build” might be one of my favorite criticisms ever.

Another Hot take: I don't find being pigeonholed into any build fun. Fortunately most builds are viable, if not optimal, or I'd actually be the one screeching about this rather than just looking down my nose hipsterishly every time someone posts about Zimmermans or Songbirds.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A jargogle posted:

- Of which far too much is "open field full of trash MTs, go blow up x targets which fall over the from one salvo, and scarcely fight back just like the MTs". No gimmicks, no traversal, no time pressure, nothing.

There's a bunch of these in NG++

quote:

- The degree to which AC vs AC combat revolves around circle strafing around your opponent using QB to dodge any big hits, then absolutely bursting the hell out of people in stagger. Chipping them down is just not a worthwhile option. Trying to stay at your optimal range vs them is not really a dynamic that plays out when the only good options to reliably hit the enemy are close range. Trying to break lockons by going over the top of them is pretty much pointless because of the turn rate. Pretty much every AI AC plays the same way, which makes the arena tedious.

You haven't unlocked long range FCS and done a missile spam build.

quote:

- I think I understand the problem you talk about with the state machine for animations though I'm not particularly familiar with the term. Why does firing shoulder guns just cause me to hover for 2s when I have no energy? Why can I hover forever by smashing assault boost - kick on a loop?

You hover in place when firing heavy weapons for balance reasons. The disadvantage of both bipeds is that you lose all motion when shooting heavy weapons. If you just dropped out of the sky while shooting then 1. your FCS has to compensate for your vertical movement and your target's movement and 2. you can basically bunny hop your stun needles in and out of cover which is the opposite of a drawback.

You hover forever with kick because they want you to have a cool dash kick feeling. The game is directed by Masaru Yamamura who was the lead game designer for Sekiro it's not an oversight that you have so many movement options.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
As for the checkpointing and irrelevance of trash mobs in this, I don't have a problem with either even though I understand the logic of the complaint. It seems like that complaint comes from a place of wanting the game to be as difficult as possible, and I think the various bosses of the game provide plenty of challenge on the first time through, to the point where making the rest of the game harder would cause the majority of players - who enjoy challenge - to bounce off the game completely.

After beating something like Balteus, I enjoyed having a few missions of relative downtime to simply feel powerful and effective while trying out some new gear, while the game does some light storytelling and I prepare myself for the next big challenge a few missions later.

Having to quit out of the mission and redo it if you need a break from the boss or want to try buying/grinding for new parts is punishment enough.

I don't think I'd have the endurance to be dealing with 50 replays for every single mission. My period of interest in a game is finite, and repeating long sections wears it down pretty quickly. I think that's most people, they were right not to cater to the 3% or whatever of players who are looking for the most punishing experience possible.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 4, 2023

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Eej posted:

There's a bunch of these in NG++

You haven't unlocked long range FCS and done a missile spam build.

You hover in place when firing heavy weapons for balance reasons. The disadvantage of both bipeds is that you lose all motion when shooting heavy weapons. If you just dropped out of the sky while shooting then 1. your FCS has to compensate for your vertical movement and your target's movement and 2. you can basically bunny hop your stun needles in and out of cover which is the opposite of a drawback.

You hover forever with kick because they want you to have a cool dash kick feeling. The game is directed by Masaru Yamamura who was the lead game designer for Sekiro it's not an oversight that you have so many movement options.

Can't speak to NG++ because got bored about 1/3 through NG+.

I have run missile spam a bit but frankly I wasn't sure if:

- People were just bad
- It's actually unavoidable

Because it seemed that rather than chip people down it pretty much oneshot them. Which also wasn't much fun, because there was still no back and forth and movement battle over optimal ranges.

As for physics continuing to apply when you are firing a back weapon - If you can use cover situationally to mitigate a weakness... doesn't that just add depth to the game? I hardly see it being insanely OP, especially with how dodgeable such weapons are at range, and how punishable firing them raw is up close.

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 4, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Moving while shooting your heavy weapons is pure advantage. Just because bipeds wouldn't be able to control their movement in this theoretical setup doesn't mean it's worse than standing still in the air as a bazooka flies into your face. If you can poptart like in Mechwarrior with stun needles that is pure upside. The depth to the game regarding heavy weapons is that you have to use either a quad leg and hover (sitting duck) or use tank treads (crawling duck).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i simply do not understand this game's mechanics at all

i do not understand how to fight balteus at all

dodging is impossible

hanging out above him is impossible

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
You hover in place because anime. It would be rude if your stance in the air was broken because of energy limits.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

dodging is impossible

try shooting him ??

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i had a thought about the name of the "bad ending" If the bad ending is the "Fires of Raven" does that mean Ibis was responsible for the last burning?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

OctaMurk posted:

try shooting him ??

yeah i've been doing this

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the good or bad news depending on your perspective is that balteus is probably the hardest boss in the game, you can start breaking the game over your knee not long after

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I know tank legs aren’t really the best leg category at all but I do love that you can loving drift with them like 621 isekai’d to Rubicon out of Initial D.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i do think that this game could have used more filler missions that weren't boss ones, especially before and when the PCA suppression fleet shows up.

Thumbtacks posted:

i had a thought about the name of the "bad ending" If the bad ending is the "Fires of Raven" does that mean Ibis was responsible for the last burning?

yes, they lit the coral on fire themselves using ibis. afaik there have been no non man made coral disasters lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Thumbtacks posted:

The Ibis series is the name for the mechs they created to contain Coral in the event of catastrophe so I think you are meant to infer that one of the Ibis mechs/protocols was to set that poo poo on fire before it breaches containment and gets into the galaxy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Energy weapons really aren't that weak. Try quad laser or quad plasma with a suitable generator. You don't need to stagger because you deal insane damage regardless, and fire fast enough the AI can only dodge a fraction of it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

dodging is impossible

Your build can make dodging extremely difficult if it’s overweight or doesn’t have enough quickboost movement - I was having an insanely bad time against Balteus until I swapped to a booster that actually got me out of the way of its attacks

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Anyone have any streams or video of high level PvP?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finally got (ch1 ng+) Volta and Iguazu down on the dam mission. Went for an all missle build and just stayed tf away from them. The tetrapod really helped against Volta. Ran out of ammo completely, but Volta was nearly dead, so I just punched him to death :black101:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Bobcats posted:

Anyone have any streams or video of high level PvP?

I haven't watched it but I'm familiar with him and this guy is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjPpkpmEQo

Cleric, not Oro, although he's also pretty good. apparently this is not from his POV which is unfortunate

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 4, 2023

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sindai posted:

Energy weapons really aren't that weak. Try quad laser or quad plasma with a suitable generator. You don't need to stagger because you deal insane damage regardless, and fire fast enough the AI can only dodge a fraction of it.
Yeah I played half my first game without abusing the stagger system and just spammed dual laser pistol and dual laser shoulder cannons. Then you get the later generators that actually increase energy weapon damage. Then you get your OS upgrades on top of that and discover the joy of charging up laser rifles and watching big chunks vanish from health bars.

Wish the laser shotgun had more ammo. The fist energy shotgun that turns into a melee weapon when charged is pretty fun in PvE but not practical on some fights. Still seems like a great shotgun in its own right though.

I've since switched to double missile pods + assault rifle + melee for my most recent playthrough as a change of pace and am surprised how easy going it is. Feels like you can overcome a lot with knowledge and player skill.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 4, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

dodging is impossible

Balteus is a big roadblock, but feels good to finally get down.

I went in with a pulse rifle, the starter blade, and two plasma missile launchers on my back. I’m sure there’s way better setups. Mid-range FCS, bipedal setup although I had pretty decent luck with the initial reverse-joint legs before that and a lighter build. At mid-range the pulse rifle and plasma pods do a lot of work on his shield, when it goes down ideally your pulse rifle should be reloading and you can go in with the blade to chop big chunks of its AP off before unloading with the rifle and missiles again. I got to the point I could reliably take him down to 50% and initiate phase 2 in a single dropped shield.

Dodging is a case of knowing how to deal with each configuration of missiles as they come— usually I had good luck just getting in the air and then boosting towards it to avoid most of it and only take chip damage. The big dangers are the big single bazooka blasts in phase 1, which you need to listen for the indicator warning and red square on your HUD then get in the air and evade sideways from, and the flamethrower in phase 2 which for me was a bit of luck and positioning. If you’re far enough away you can get it to initiate the attack and fly over it, closer and I had good results dashing under the arm it was swinging with. Aim for getting under its armpit.

Like many From games I found that dodging and getting hit anyway meant I was just dodging too early for that particular attack.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bussamove posted:

I got to the point I could reliably take him down to 50% and initiate phase 2 in a single dropped shield.

:pwn:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The true ending is the one that makes you the most money

It's what you're there for after all :v:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i just gave up for now after successfully kicking balteus in the face and then getting blown out of the sky by looping missiles before my sword could come out

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Was the final S-rank arena match supposed to be the easiest match of like the last 15 combatants? The other S-rank ones I ended with 1 HP (from the emergency shield) and no heals. The final one took like 10 seconds and I didn't take hardly any damage.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Arena fights are super easy and shouldn't take you know than one or two tries by the time you unlock them.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Volte posted:

Was the final S-rank arena match supposed to be the easiest match of like the last 15 combatants? The other S-rank ones I ended with 1 HP (from the emergency shield) and no heals. The final one took like 10 seconds and I didn't take hardly any damage.

EDIT: Just gonna go ahead and remove this.

2MB fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 4, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

2MB posted:

It's a toned down version of the boss version of Arye. My interpretation of it is that it's their first time piloting an AC for the NG++ timeline so they're not as strong as their full "I will die for my people" energy. The ending dialogue to the arena fight makes me think it's just a friendly spar.

S-rank is the ones before you get to the hidden arena fights :ssh:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Volte posted:

freud’s gimmick is that he’s unaugmented and piloting a pretty basic mech but is supposed to have crazy good piloting skills

But as far as I can tell his AI isn’t special and doesn’t cheat so you’re left with a normal AC to destroy lmao

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Captain Foo posted:

i just gave up for now after successfully kicking balteus in the face and then getting blown out of the sky by looping missiles before my sword could come out

I shadowplayed a starter build double bubblegun Balteus kill for a friend of mine, if you'd like something lower than perfect 20 second pile bunker kills. Behold me missing every assault kick and kinda doing nothing with this shotgun I brought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umAYl6v0heM

Things to note are the constant approaching and circling: you're often much safer near the boss, especially for the missile swarm. Stick close to his butt when the sword comes out. The fact he staggers when the shield comes down is an advantage, try to pop it when you're positioned to do real DPS.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

raverrn posted:

Things to note are the constant approaching and circling: you're often much safer near the boss

Relevant advice for every boss in the game (except da worm I guess)

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Kerrzhe posted:

S-rank is the ones before you get to the hidden arena fights :ssh:

My coral addled brain is still stuck in NG++, lets just edit my quote out. <_<

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Volte posted:

You know how a lot of people before launch got really defensive about repair kits being "Too casual estus garbage?"

As you already noticed. Those arena rematches are easy because the enemy can't spam heals unless you combo them to their death hard enough. Throw in the fact you fight them in the box arena so they can't run away beyond effective range as often. Turns out the only casuals are the enemies. Because hey look what happens when nobody is allowed to heal, you crushed them like nothing.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the normal arena. Well, the above applies to the bonus arena matches as well.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 4, 2023

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Gonna bring my hot take that game good. I'd very much like something like Gundam in this style of game, it'd feel fantastic

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Finished NG++ and been toodling around with finding missing combat logs/parts alongside gauging how difficult getting S rank on missions is. My overall impression is favorable, though I've not touched an AC game since... three? I do not have a recent memory for clear comparison. It "feels" good to play for me, especially the "zippier" configurations.

It does feel like AC6 leaves a ton of wiggle room in how hard/engaging you want your play to be, with some configurations ripping the difficulty of the game in half. I'm generally stubborn and did not deviate away from my first AC design unless forced to, usually only tweaking, and found that it maintained the difficulty for some of the first playthrough encounters. By the time I began NG++ and had played around with different configurations, my final AC was lazily shredding through the content all the way through. A little disappointing, but I am hoping S ranking the later missions will make me bang into a few walls. :v: I'd love to see a mod or added difficulty level that removed the resupply sherpas and checkpoints, forcing willing lunatics to consider another layer of efficiency to get through a mission.

So far it appears most missions can be S ranked with a reasonably optimized AC and execution, with missions involving a boss being way more lenient than I first expected. Too bad there really isn't much of a reward for S ranks beyond a spurt of sweet, sweet dopamine and related achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I almost got the Sea Spider guy down. Having difficulty reading his tells from time to time due to panicking.